42, DOR, blended family (cross-posted from TTC) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
42, DOR, blended family (cross-posted from TTC)

Good morning!

I am so pleased to find this thread and come back to the Mothering community again.

Let me start with a little intro and about my journey: I am 42, and with a new partner. I have 3 kids (16, 14, 7) and he has twin girls (8). We have been blessed with great kids, and would like to have one together.

I have been diagnosed with DOR. Mr has lowish sperm count, but doesn't look critical. We recently started investigations prior to IVF. We've done the IUI thing, but didn't have success. I feel like I am running out of time and perhaps IVF is our best option. We have gone to two other clinics on this journey, but it's about fit. It's a heck of a lot of money (all OOP) and we want to have our best chances. So we have started with Create in downtown Toronto, and got all our bloodworm and my US done. Next is full sperm analysis and a HSG. Then we meet again at the end of the month and see what is what.

I've had a couple of AMH tests which showed a really low level. However, the RE said my ovaries looked good in his opinion, with one obviously ovulated egg, and 5 more antral follicles. Not great for someone younger, but at 42 he thought it wasn't too bad. We haven't ruled out donor eggs, and we haven't ruled out going abroad to the Czech Republic for treatment. We really are in the planning and information stage. We don't have enough resources for more than about 2-3 cycles here.

Ultimately if we can't get pregnant I won't be totally devastated, but having another baby has been on my mind for the last 4-5 years, and even with my ex-DH. My reasons for wanting another baby are a little different this time: I'd love to see my partner's features in our little one, I'd love to carry a baby we made out of love together, and I'd love to see our little love baby in our arms. I adore my partner and want to have a baby with him. And I'd love to have a lovely big family!

A little about me: I am a midwife in Ontario and have practiced for more than 11 years. I live in the country just outside of Toronto and feel like I am finally home. I also work in comic book publishing as of more recently, and am editing several projects. I have a special interest in bringing many more comics to girls, with characters they want to read about, with characteristics that make my feminist heart happy to portray. We are part of a really big project right now, but contracts haven't been signed so it's still under wraps. :-)

I like to knit and crochet, sew and do crafts. It seems that I craft a lot more in winter! I can't wait to have a baby to knit and dye for!

The hardest part of this journey is waiting, and not knowing if all these emotional resources and hoping will result in my dream coming true.

I look forward to meeting you all, on this journey too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
You seem to have a handle on the situation. My only advice is to be as aggressive as possible. As you know, your age is against you, but it's not insurmountable.

You'll find lots if like minded gals in the fertility challenged one thread.

On a side note: I would love to find some more graphic novels for my 5 year old DD. We thoroughly enjoyed Captain Underpants, but are still searching for a girl superhero. We found Fashion Kitty which is fine, but a little too... Stereotypical? Any recommendations?

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

What about the Never Girls series? Not superheroes per se, but adventurous and a nice spin on fairies!

Thanks! When I saw the RE he said my ovaries looked good on ultrasound - LOL. So I am clinging to that hope! I'm ready to jump in with both feet - just waiting for all the diagnostics to come in and a plan. The RE has a really good rep and got my 45 year old friend pregnant, so yay!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

So we have started IVF in earnest! Yay!

I'm on day 5 of 2.5mg of Femara, and day 3 of Repronex 150mg injections. Yesterday I felt some ovarian discomfort so hopefully that is a sign that things are moving along and the meds are working. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good follicles and lots of them.

This cycle started off well. On day 2 my estrogen was nice and low at 226, my FSH was 8.9 and my LH was 6. I had 6 follicles. Not the most, but not too very bad.

I tend towards short cycles so curious what the ultrasound shows. In Feb with my IUI I was triggered on only day 9 with 4 nice large follicles, and had the IUI on day 11. I'm on day 6 now. We shall see!

CM
Old 09-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Great!!! You may want to post in the fertility challenged thread, too. There's alot of great wen over there doing ivf. You'll find alot of support and camaraderie there! Good luck!!!

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 09-28-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

User Tag List