4Likes
  • 1 Post By pokeyac
  • 1 Post By Xerxella
  • 2 Post By treehugger86

#1 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Successful Testicular Biopsy. ICSI Stories?

I am not very active on the forums, but I have been lurking for a long time. I have been wanting to write a post, but I don't know the appropriate section of the forum, and I suppose, I don't have a direct question. I would love to hear from ICSI success stories.

My husband had a successful (bilateral) testicular biopsy, and I received a phone call to confirm that viable sperm were found. We have a follow-up in a couple of weeks to discuss moving forward with ICSI. I have been anxious to start the process, but I also have a lot of concerns.
I have severe depression, and I am nervous about the impact of the various medications (and pregnancy) on my mental health. I am also working part-time, and I will be starting graduate school in September. I am scared that I will not be able to cope.

Unfortunately, I have to work. I have thought about applying for student loans, rather than working, but I'm not comfortable with taking on debt, at this point. I will eventually have to apply for loans. (We are depleting our savings for ICSI, and for the first year of graduate school). My husband is completely unable to work for disability-related reasons, and is not eligible for government support while I am in school. The financial stress is a lot to cope with (independent of school and pregnancy). The timing is less than ideal.

All that aside, I am very conflicted, because of my husband's health. My husband has a fatal disease. He is prognosis is based on a median survival of two years. We were given that prognosis over a year ago. (We started the IVF process almost a year ago. There have been a lot of delays, waiting for referrals, consults, etc.).

The future is completely uncertain. I want to be hopeful, but I also have to be honest with myself. Every week that goes by, I am increasing the likelihood of becoming a widow, and with ICSI, a single parent. Can I do this alone? I know that I am the only one with that answer, and in truth, I do not have a lot of support. I'm really scared. I do not know whether I should go ahead with ICSI, or wait, and risk losing my husband during the pregnancy (or before starting ICSI). (Should I be posting in the single parenting section?). We have all the reasons in the world to wait. We also have all the reasons in the world to start right away.

What am I asking from you? I don't know. Support? Well, I'd also love to hear some ICSI stories. In particular, I want to know about how invasive it is. What about experiences on a body-based level? I know that can't completely inform my decision, but I am worried about my body's ability to handle all of this. I apologize for this novel.

Last edited by treehugger86; 08-26-2014 at 07:25 PM.
#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Bumping up for more attention!
tracyamber likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Hugs to you. We didn't do a testicular biopsy, but we did do ICSi. IVF isn't easy, but it's not THAT bad.

The best place for support is the fertility challenged one thread. Your post will get more views and there are women there who can help support you.

Good luck!!!!
tracyamber likes this.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#4 of 6 Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, pokeyac and Xerxella!

I will take a look at the Fertility Challenged One thread. (I am feeling rather lost, and I didn't know the most appropriate place to post).

We had our follow-up appointment on Friday. We are moving forward in the next few weeks. My DH is still healing from his surgery. I have to wean from a few of my medications before starting the IVF-related medications.
Xerxella and tracyamber like this.
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Sounds like you have a lot of questions to answer for yourself. Are your journaling? Going to counseling? It may help. There are some scholarships you can apply for regarding infertility, especially of this is would be your first child. I did not qualify for any but you may. If you need link I can post.
Also, why wouldn't your body be able to handle? Are you healthy? Young?
I think you"ll be fine.
Hugs to you and I just welcomed you on th either thread!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#6 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

tracyamber: Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have a lot of question for myself, and a lot of them do not have clear answers. I have started to journal again, but it is really difficult. There is a lot of emotion there. I have a wonderful psychiatrist. She is very concerned for me (in terms of all the stress). She is not completely supportive of ICSI right now, but I know that she will be a good resource for the difficult weeks. I am young and healthy, but I have very severe depression, and I am easily overwhelmed with stress. I tend to get very severe symptoms with ovulation and menstruation. It is the reason that I was never able to be on birth control. It is interesting to read on the Fertility Challenged thread that some of you have also been sensitive to the medications. At least, I do not have to feel alone.

Do you know of any scholarships for Canada? That would be amazing. I have not been able to find anything through online research.

Thanks again. I appreciate your response.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page