Question about embryo adoption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Question about embryo adoption?

Anyone done this? If so, what are the logistics (costs, arrangements with bio family, etc). SIL is considering this due to multiple TTC challenges. Anyone BTDT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I know at least 2 people on here who have done this but they may not be around much. @rcr
There have also been discussions about it but it may be hard to find by searching. Bumping up for more attention.

Looking into embryo donation after 4 transfers
Embryo adoption

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Last edited by pokeyac; 11-26-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't personally tell you about it, except that I suspect that it bears a lot of similarity to Frozen Embryo Transfers and the costs and procedures involved there. The medications may be similar, but I don't know about whether there would be a matching (blood type, etc) required between the birthing woman as carrier and the embryo- that would be different from regular IVF frozen transfers.

I did find a few sites that talk about average costs and what is involved. Just to get started. You would have to see whether there are clinics in your area or that you could telephone to get more information and material sent to your location. I searched US/North America and UK as more members here appear from there than other locations.

http://www.resolve.org/family-buildi...and-facts.html

http://www.embryodonationblog.com/67...success-rates/

Same site, more user-friendly (Embryo Donation International):

http://www.embryodonation.com/success-rates.php

http://www.hfea.gov.uk/81.html

http://www.miracleswaiting.org/factsembryos.html

Honestly I am sure there are tonnes more of these sites (some better than others), but with a broad overview it may get you and your SIL started.

It seems to combine aspects of sperm donor principles (known, unknown) and testing and aspects of actual newborn adoption. What a fascinating area!!

You could also try to search through the various egg donation threads on this site. People who have considered one option have also sometime considered the other, and you may find knowledgeable, well-researched people there.

I wish you all the best of luck with this!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:21 PM
rcr

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did it. (Thanks for tagging me, pokeyac). We did it after a thousand IVF attempts. My only regret is that I wasted all that time and money on IVF and didn't move to embryo donation sooner.

They call it embryo donation, the term "embryo adoption" is kinda a touchy subject because a lot of people don't want it to be likened to traditional adoption, with homestudys, etc. There are lots of options that range from free (that was the case for me) to really expensive, and where you know the genetic family and to where you never will have that option.

There are places that do homestudys like traditional adoption (like snowflake), and places that will create an embryo for you from somebody you select (lots of agencies and in-house programs in clinics do this), and even a few that give you an enbryo that they created to share with others.

Some are more affordable than others (RBA in atlanta, and california conceptions are cheaper options). Embryo donation international in florida is another that I was looking into. Some people travel abroad (czech republic seems to be popular). One person on the IVF grads thread went to Greece for embryo donation (and it worked). There is a company called IVF traveler who makes arrangements. The costs are way way cheaper even if you factor in the cost of travel.

My story is a bit unique, but I did tons of research before I got to that point. I ended up getting an embryo from my RE where I had done a few cycles of IVF. It (which ended up being my daughter) was leftover from a previous IVF cycle and whoever donated it signed the form saying that they want any extra embryos donated. My embryos were over 10 years old - before the clinic kept good records about the donors. So we know absolutely nothing about the genetic parents (in fact, the race of the father was even unknown). We don't know any medical history. We know that genetic mom was white, and that she worked in education. But we know nothing about genetic dad.

So my story is in contrast to other enbryo donations where people know everything about the donors - SAT scores, pictures of them, IQ test, complete medical information, phych evaluations, etc. some of the stuff that people want to know from donor moms eeks me out, especially the education stuff, which is more related to race and income than genes. But to each their own I guess. Some of those situations even allow some contact.

I would love have contact, or at least the opportunity for contact should my daughter have questions someday, but that is not a possibility, unless I get lucky and find a match for her genes through one of those databases like ancestry.com (which I plan to pursue one day). There is a donor sibling registry where people can find other siblings but there is not much hope for me because the genetic family does not know that my daughter exists. She has a sibling out there (at least one), because I know that the original IVF cycle resulted in a live birth. That child would probably be a teenager by now, which is crazy for me to imagine.

I would be happy to answer any questions. I am not here much, so be sure to tag me if you reply to me

My daughter is perfect, btw. She just turned 1. I also have a genetic son (who is six).

You may also want to look into something called epigentics, where the offspring who share no gentic link still have links to their biological parents. For example, studies where a pony embryo was put into a horse resulted in a baby pony that was closer to the size of a horse than a regular pony is...

ETA - I forgot to mention that my donor cycle was free because nobody on the 3-year waiting list at the clinic wanted my embryos that I got because they were unknown race. that was crazy to me that people would wait for 3 years for an embryo instead of taking one of a potentially different race... but whatever... I am the lucky one who got the perfect baby

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
@rcr thanks for that info only because the whole embryo adoption thing was never really clear for me. I understand a bit more. Donor eggs is quite different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you @rcr and @pokeyac for bumping! It's great timing as SIL and I are all together with family for the holiday! I'll be back with questions!!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you @oceanspray for all the websites!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@rcr - that was extremely interesting - thanks for sharing your experience! It certainly gives some of us who have embryos (possibly) left over from IVF or ICSI treatments something important to think about.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

@rcr Some questions!! Thank you for sharing your experience. That was so helpful. One of SIL's biggest concerns is related to genetic stuff. She and her DH actually lost a baby at 22 weeks due to a genetic condition that they both have and is very rare and they have a 1:4 chance of it happening again. She is 40 and feels like she doesn't have a lot of time to have this happen again. Due to this, she would like to make sure that any embryo that is donated has been screened for (major) genetic issues. Is this something that is routinely done? Is the sex of the baby known before the embryo is implanted? The clinic that she has been in initial contact with stated that her costs would be limited to the medications used to prepare her uterus for the pregnancy. Are these medication expensive? thnaks in advance!!

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
Old 12-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is almost like Frozen Embryo Replacement Cycle. In Embryo replacement, frozen embryos are treated and managed either in a controlled cycle or using a natural cycle. Find an ivf center who are doing Embryo Replacement and get their help.

Last edited by pokeyac; 12-05-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
rcr

Sierrasmtngirl - I think that kind of cycle is possible - you would need to freeze the eggs/embies though. They do genetic testing but I think it takes a while to get the results back, so what would happen is that the doc would retrieve the eggs from the donor, and take out a cell (I think), and then freeze it (probably fertilized first...), and then send the cells out for testing and then do a frozen embryo transfer when they get the results (transfering the normal ones, assuming that they make it through the freezing and defrosting process). I know of one clinic that will also test for gender, so it is definitely possible. Some won't though. Some will only test for gender if you already have a few kids who are the same gender.

I am not sure if they do the genetic testing before or after the egg is fertilized.

You are looking at paying a LOT of money with that kind of stuff. You need to pay for the donor fees (cost for her trouble of doing this), her medical bills, cost of meds, costs of testing, costs of the frozen transfer to you, and storage fees for the embies while testing is happening. You would need to do a lot of research to find the best clinic, and possibly travel to them. We did a cycle across the country and we had the added cost of travel, but we had IVF insurance coverage so our costs were little for medical costs, so we were able to afford the trip (since we weren't paying for IVF).

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Question about embryo adoption?

It all depends on what the original recipients of the embryo ordered. It is not protocol to test embryos for genetic abnormalities. It all cost a lot of money and as @rcr said it forces one to have a frozen transfer and some want a fresh transfer because there studies out there that say fresh cycles are more successful for implantation. Also egg donors are typically very young( between 20 and 28) so a lot of time genetic testing is not recommended. As an egg donor recipient( not embryo) our total cost was about $40,000 and that was without any testing or pavement of sperm. I think your sil will just have to ask those specific questions to the clinic she is researching. I do think it is possible to test for genetic abnormalities once an embryo is frozen but most don't . That is a lot for an embryo to go through especially after being frozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for your answers!! SIL is so thankful for the updates.....she is currently waiting for her appointment, which is in 1 month. She is so anxious for answers, so I thought I'd consult those who have experienced it! Thanks again!!

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
rcr

You are welcome. I think it is great that you are supporting her. One of the reasons I ended up here was because I did not really have any support IRL, and I even found support from my DH lacking. IF is a long and stressful road, it is important to have people who care and don't say "just relax and it will happen" and any of the other ridiculous comments that make light of a serious medical problem. I found lots of great support here, but I still wish I had IRL support too.

ETA - and I agree with Tracy, I am not sure that I see point of genetic testing with egg or embryo donation? It seems that using 20-ish year old eggs would get rid of most genetic problems...

Old Today, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again. I think she is just so nervous about another genetic issue (it's a Rett syndrome gene-incompatible with life for a baby boy, results in an autism-like disorder in girls with sometimes very severe developmental disability). That loss and finding out about the genetic outlook was a terribly painful time for her and our entire family. But you both have made excellent points that she hadn't thought of (but one I'm sure that her docs at the clinic will point out). Hugs to you all! And keep you posted!

User Tag List
rcr