Clomid-the lowdown? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-19-2005, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
I am new to this fertility (or infertility) scene. I am 36 years old and have a 5 yr. dd. We tried to conceive for about 14 months and stopped last August. We have decided to give it another shot though with some assistance of a fertility dr. Though the tests have not all been completed, it sounds as if Clomid will probably be the solution, due to possible lack of ovulation. A friend of of mine was telling me about the side effects she had on fertility drugs. The major being serious mood swings. Others being weight gain and she said the sex wasn't so great due to dryness.
Is there anyone who didn't have horrible side effects from this drug. I thought the only concern I would have on Clomid would be the risk of multiples (Accck!) But the mood swings scare me as well. I am already a tad tempermental at times (I blame it on my Irish temper) and I would hate to take out hormone induced moods on my dd.
Please, if anyone had good or bad into on Clomid, please share.
Thanks!
Emsmomtoo
#2 of 44 Old 03-19-2005, 12:31 PM

I had no noticeable side effects at all, but what I have read and observed says long term Clomid use is not all that helpful. I would try acupuncture to help with the cycles, then maybe a couple months of clomid after. And yup, the twin thing with clomid seems very common. The injectables are a whole other side effect story....
#3 of 44 Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 PM

I"m on clomid right now. This is my second time around--I was on it for 5 months about 5 years ago. The symptoms I"ve had/am having include dryness (right now my hands and tongue are so extremely dry all the time that I can hardly tolerate it), drying/lessening of cervical fluid, night sweats, hot flashes, headaches, and mood swings. So far the mood swings have been tolerable, but I suspect they'll be worse this month because I just upped my dose from 50 mg to 100 mg.
#4 of 44 Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 PM

I just stopped taking clomid because it wasn't doing all that much for me, and I am moving onto injectible meds (in particular, follicle stimulating hormone). I had previously tried accupuncture without success (though my accupuncturist was mainly treating me for something else, she did do fertility treatments as needed at the same time). Anyway, I didn't notice much in the way of side effects. My significant other did say that I was a little more moody, but it wasn't a huge difference. Other than that, nothing too big. However, other things I worried about on clomid were the risks of cysts (which I'll have with the injectibles too), which may stop you from trying some months, as well as an increased risk of ovarian cancer with long-term use. My most trusted resource (a book on lesbian conception written by well-known midwives) recommends using clomid for no more than 6 months. We quit after four because it was clear from my ultrasounds that it hadn't increased the number of follicles I was producing (though with the help of an hcg injection, which I will keep taking, I was at least ovulating every month). Since it wasn't doing much for us, we didn't want to waste our time, and we didn't want me to have an increased risk of cancer. We can always go back to clomid, and we might if we run out of money (injectibles are much more expensive). I'm glad I tried it, though. Had it worked, it would have saved me the expense of the injectibles. Good luck in your decision.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#5 of 44 Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra
and we didn't want me to have an increased risk of cancer.
My dr. said no increased risk of cancer - can I ask where you heard this? Also as far as the no more than 6 months rule - is that total? Or in a row? I did 3 cycles 2 years ago and still ttc. I just started 50 mg again this month along with IUI. So do the 3 cycles 2 yrs ago "count" in the 6 or do I start over now since it's been 2 years?
#6 of 44 Old 03-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
The verdict is still out on the cancer thing....I have seen equal amounts of thigns that say no increased risk and others that say there is.

If you had side effects on the pill, weight gain, moodiness etc - then you will likely have some on clomid too.

As for me, PSYCHO mood swings. Didn't notice weight gain. Didn't have a problem with dryness. HOT FLASHES!!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 44 Old 03-20-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsMommy
Also as far as the no more than 6 months rule - is that total? Or in a row? I did 3 cycles 2 years ago and still ttc.
I've heard different things. I've also heard that if you haven't gotten pg within 3 cycles of clomid, it's not likely that you will. I took it for 5 cycles about 5 years ago without success. The reason I"m giving it another go is that I am now on metformin too, and the metformin/clomid combo is supposed to really help some women. This will probably be my last month for awhile though.

I think if it's been a few years since you tried the clomid, you could give it another shot. But with your prior history of not being successful on it, I probably wouldn't spend much time with clomid unless other things related to your ttc have changed that you think might have a more positive impact this time around. Maybe give it a few months and then move on to something else.
#8 of 44 Old 03-21-2005, 11:42 AM

My former RE would advise not to use clomid for more than 6 months per each ttc child (this is assuming it's worked in the past). He would have been okay with 12 cycles, if I had really pushed it and I wasn't having side-effects. I did 6 cycles a few years back. The first 2 I still didn't ovulate. The 5th, I got pg and miscarried. We gave a 6th cycle a try, and then moved on to other drugs. The higher dose you use and the longer you stay on it, the more likely you are to have side-effects. I started to have vision problems from it after a few months. It took a few months after I had stopped taking the drug for my sight to return to normal. Clomid has a long half-life and stays in your system for quite a while, which is why you're more likely to see effects the longer you're on it, because residual amount will build up in your body. (BTW- the RE is only my former Dr because we moved away. I thought he was great!)
#9 of 44 Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Oh yes...the vision stuff...I always forget about that.

That was fun.

It was like trails - if I looked from a light area to a dark area it was like it took a while for my vision to catch up. Given that i work in theatre - which means I spend a lot of time in the dark looking at a brightly lit stage....that was annoying as hell.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#10 of 44 Old 03-22-2005, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
Oh yes...the vision stuff...I always forget about that.

That was fun.

It was like trails - if I looked from a light area to a dark area it was like it took a while for my vision to catch up. Given that i work in theatre - which means I spend a lot of time in the dark looking at a brightly lit stage....that was annoying as hell.

Exactly! So frustrating! I quit driving at night, because the headlights and dashboard lights were making me crazy!
#11 of 44 Old 03-22-2005, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the good info on clomid. It sounds even more pleasant than I thought! LOL. I have said for years that the one thing I would never do if I couldn't get pg on my own was to take fertility drugs. Well here I am at age 36 ready to take them!Though we definitly have our limits. I don't think we will go as far as injectibles. My friend said she looked like a herion addict with all the bruises from hers.
So has anyone actually gotten pregnant from Clomid anyway?? A statistic I read was that 80% of women do ovulate and 40% get pregnant. Not the greatest statistic. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Good luck to all!
#12 of 44 Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM

I know people who have gotten pg on it. I know one woman who conceived the first month she took it. I know a woman at my church who has twins from clomid. My friend's mom went through 15+ years of infertility and had two children through adoption. Then she heard about clomid (it was brand new at the time, early 70's). She told her doctor she'd like to try it, but she was giving it 3 months and that was it, since she'd already been through the ringer with inf. Lo and behold, she got pg right away! That baby was my friend. She went on to have two more pregnancies after that (one from clomid, one on her own).
#13 of 44 Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM

I don't know about the 80%/40% statistic you heard, but do know that depending on the source, clomid stats could be greatly skewed.

Many docs seem to like giving out clomid like it's candy. No testing, no reason, just "Here's some clomid if you've been trying for a while and aren't pregnant."

So, if you look at statistics with no treatment and you just look at the group of couples who did not conceive in their first year of trying, half of them would conceive on their own in the second year of trying, with no help at all. It makes sense, then, that many of the women who are given clomid for no reason at all will conceive on it, but very well might have anyway.

Clomid is a great drug! I'm definitely not trying to say otherwise. It's just overused and that makes statistics difficult.

One thing I do know - the risk of multiples on clomid is much less than many people believe. The occurrence of twins is less than 10% and triplets I think is considerably less than 1%.

What tests have you done that indicate lack of ovulation?

Oh - and I had minimal symptoms on clomid. Some dryness and hot flashes, but nothing more. And most women do not bruise considerably on injectibles. And you can use lubricants to combat dryness during sex on clomid if that is an issue.

Clomid is definitely a good place to start if you have ovulation issues.
#14 of 44 Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

It is a relief to hear some success stories!
I have not had all of my tests done yet. I have actually only had my first appt. with consult, ultrasound and blood taken. I know I have several other to go before anything is determined but the dr. said that based on what I have told him (history etc.) it is a good chance that I am not ovulating normally. So nothing is definite yet.
As for using lubricants to combat dryness, that seems to be one thing I have read most everywhere is that you shouldn't be using any kind of lubricants at all when trying to conceive.
I can definitely see how the statistics on clomid could be skewed. Especially when there are drs giving it to anyone ttc w/o proper testing.
Luckily my dr. seems to have an outstanding reputation and is highly recommended so I am going to trust what he says and base my decisions on that.
I guess all we can all just hope for the best when it comes to fertility issues.
#15 of 44 Old 03-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Using lubricants while TTC is better than not being able to have sex because of dryness.

There are sperm-friendly lubricants available. Pre-Seed is marketed as one (but pricey) and many women use raw eggwhites. I know you can find more about that with a web search.

That said, even lubricants like Astroglide, etc. are not spermicides. Many couples do conceive while using them. So, if it's that or extremely painful sex, I'll take my chances with the lube. TTC should still be as fun as possible.

But hopefully you won't have too much dryness. Not everyone experiences it, and in many cases it's not severe. Good luck.
#16 of 44 Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading a lot about using egg whites as lub. Seems a lot of people swear by it and have gotten pg with it! Though with risk of infection. My dh is totally grossed out by the idea. Not sure if he will go for it.
#17 of 44 Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 PM

I had no noticeable side effects from clomid except, of course, the baby. Good luck!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#18 of 44 Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

DUDE!! I want that side effect!

#19 of 44 Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Me too!
#20 of 44 Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 PM

I had really bad moodiness, just plain crappy feeling side effects with Clomid, including CM that was so dry and thick no sperm could ever swim through it. But, when I went on injectibles I felt much better. The moodiness was minimal and the hot flashes were gone. CM, no problem. Still didn't get preg., but felt tons better. I did get preg. on IVF, though.

So, I guess what I'm saying is the side effects aren't neccesarily worse the farther you go, it just depends.
#21 of 44 Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM

I never experienced the dryness. In fact quite the opposite : The mood swings DH says were normal for me. I did get headaches (which were helped by drinking LOTS of water). The worst symptom I had (and it got worse each time they upped my dosage) was fatique!

Good luck
#22 of 44 Old 05-18-2005, 11:05 PM

i am new to this site and read all your responses to clomid. I have recently been dx with infertility, I don't ovulate, and have been advised to take clomid. I am aware of the possible side effects for us women, but an concerned for long term effects on a baby, (if we were successful). does anyone know?

my dh is still getting used to this whole thing. we have been ttc for over 18 months, kits, herbs, standing on my head, but no luck,

any advice would be helpful.

thanks
#23 of 44 Old 05-20-2005, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

As far as I have read, there have been no reported effects on babies conceived with Clomid. This was a concern for me too and I did alot of research on the internet. It was a big step for me to start Clomid. I was so nervous about side effects, I dreaded taking it the first day. But once I did it was no big deal. I am on month #2 and hoping this will be the one.
Best of Luck to you!!!
#24 of 44 Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 PM

i have had the exact symptoms!!!! but if it works for you its worth it in the end! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US AND LOTS OF BABYDUST TO ALL OF US!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
I"m on clomid right now. This is my second time around--I was on it for 5 months about 5 years ago. The symptoms I"ve had/am having include dryness (right now my hands and tongue are so extremely dry all the time that I can hardly tolerate it), drying/lessening of cervical fluid, night sweats, hot flashes, headaches, and mood swings. So far the mood swings have been tolerable, but I suspect they'll be worse this month because I just upped my dose from 50 mg to 100 mg.
#25 of 44 Old 05-20-2005, 04:15 PM

i have had the exact symptoms!!!! but if it works for you its worth it in the end! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US AND LOTS OF BABYDUST TO ALL OF US!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
#26 of 44 Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 AM

I had pretty severe mood swings, gained some weight, and had hot flashes. None were unbearable though- I just made sure close friends knew what was going on so I didn't piss too many people off!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#27 of 44 Old 06-12-2005, 01:43 PM

I took it for two cycles and all I noticed was jitteriness, like way too much caffeine. It was better for me to take it at night after dinner.
Then 4 months later I started losing a lot of hair, and it's possible it's because of the clomid. That's supposed to be a very rare side-effect. It's pretty upsetting (I have four bald spots) but not dangerous. In fact I'm probably going to do another cycle of clomid/IUi this summer and just hope I dont get the same problem down the line again.

good luck!
#28 of 44 Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How do you know your ovulating with clomid if it dries up your CM? Thats how I tell the egg is about to pop! I'm seriously considering using clomid in my next cycle though.

Seriously?
#29 of 44 Old 08-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Administrator

OPKs. That is the best way to tell when you are on Clomid. Get a bunch of OPKs/LH strips.

#30 of 44 Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 AM

: Plus I still did see some CM, but this last time I only noticed once when I went to the bathroom and that was the extent of it.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page