Clomid & twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the dosage of clomid affects your chances of conceiving twins (like higher dose makes you more likely)???

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
As far as I know, no. Since they use the lowest dose necessary to get you to ovulate and that will only up your chances by 10% or less (stats are unclear) I would imagine it won't up it too much.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

But lets say, for example, I only *needed* 50mg to conceive (which I don't actually even need to conceive anymore but to stay pregnant I need it) but I *want* twins???? Could I request a higher dose to up my odds?

Old 04-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Pretty much NO doc is going to up your Clomid to give you twins. REs and infertility docs really try for one babe at a time. They also shoot for the lowest possible dose of the meds, since they aren't great for you.

The odds of twins are around 10%. If you have more follicles the odds go up. It all depends on your own system and your body's reaction to the clomid.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 04-27-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd feel kinda weird doing it for that purpose alone anyway - but I was curious. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Actually, some of what I've read says that if you ovulate on 50mg of clomid, higher doses might be counteractive and prevent ovulation. So no, a doctor shouldn't give you more than you need to be effective. I can totally understand wanting twins, but it really would be medically irresponsible to try to conceive them (from the doctor's point of view, I mean). The increased risk to both mother and babies is not insignificant, even with twins. Sure, most twins are healthy, and twins do occur naturally, but the risk of serious problems is still much higher for twins than singletons. Good luck!

User Tag List