Mothering Forum banner

When to use progesterone suppositories?

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mishibri 
#1 ·
My history in a nutshell - I have low progesterone levels - like 7.5 around ovulation and I don't think I've hit more than 9.5 when I tested just after a + pg test (in the past). With my first pg I took 4 rounds of clomid then conceived and all was great. 2nd pg was a surprise and then a m/c. 3rd pg I took prog. supp. for once pg was determined (per doctor) and I m/c'd again. 4th pg I took clomid AND prog. supp. b/c even though I was now conceiving on the 1st try I had only retained the pg. that I took clomid with. Anyway, that seemed to work. My prog. level was checked just after I got a + pg test and it was really high - 2nd trimester type numbers. I still took the prog. b/c I was paranoid and of course didn't want to risk loosing another baby. So now I'm ttc again and just finished my first round of clomid and I have a scrip for prog. supp. sitting in my fridge waiting to be used. The doc I'm seeing now isn't too big into giving prog. but was willing to anyway. However, she didn't give me a good idea of when to take it (she said a couple different things and now I'm confused, basically). So I've read somewhere that a good time to start is like the first day of your cycle and then I heard somewhere else that 2 days after ovulation is good. Like I said, in the past I always took it after I got the + pg test back and then continued until about 12 weeks. I'd love to know what people here think. It really has been left up to me - to even take it at all. I will be having my progesterone levels checked again on day 19 (although I keep telling the doc that I don't ovulate until day 19/20 - she wants the test done a few days post ovulation) and then I figure I'll have it repeated a few days after I actually ovulate. Then I'll have them recheck it if I get pg to see where I'm at then. Basically I feel like if I get good number initially then I have a good shot at keeping the pregnancy but if they are low I'll almost definitely m/c again.
Sorry to ramble - TIA for advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,
I have had one m/c due to low prog. During my second pregnancy I tested and was fine until week 5 and then my numbers dropped and I went on prog. supp. and bedrest and "luckily" saved the baby. He is now 2.5+
Clomid is taken before trying but progesterone should only be taken after ovulation. Most I know begin about 3 days after to be sure. Many I know begin taking it as soon as the pos test shows. I also wanted to point out that by week 5 the numbers are usually around 18-20 but at the start they are lower. When I was first pregnant the second time and got tested I was at an 8 or 9 then the next week it went to 12 then it went to 18 at week 4 and they told me I was fine. I battled and was basically and whiney bi&%h until they ran another "last" test and my levels had dropped back to 9 in 4 days. I am saying all this because simply getting one prog test can rarely tell you where you are definitively. I have also found in my research (I have spent hundreds of hours reading up to try and get some accurate data) that a majority, but not all of course, of m/c's related to prog deficiency happen at week 5-6.5 which tells me that testing up to and through that period are important and also tells me you want to make sure you are on it before that time to have sufficient build up of prog.
So many doctors are clueless when it comes to prog. and it is infuriating. If you have one who will writs the rx then give thanks. Right now I am about to start TTC in october and I don't have anyone to write me my rx for it so I am trying to find ways to purchase it through other means (online etc) and it makes me crazy. I want to go the prometrium route this time and just start 3 days after O and stay on it through the pregnancy. Prometrium is natural prog yet doesn't require the staying laying down etc that the suppositories do. I STILL do not like coco butter ever since my last pregnancy and using those supp's.
I hope some of this helps and I am sending baby sticking dust your way.

#3 ·
When we were TTC, I 'thought' I had a short LP and requested progesterone. At the time, I was just seeing my PCP and he agreed to give me the script although he said I didn't have a short LP but the extra progesterone wouldn't hurt me. So, I took it daily from ovulation til AF arrived. When I switched docs, she said I really didn't need it and I decided to listen. I had two early m/c. One with and one without progesterone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.