ivf while nursing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 116 Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
Got bloodwork today and it is BFP! Holding my breath and going to tell DD we need to cut back on nursing again.
I'm curious as to why you are cutting back on nursing now that you are pregnant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 116 Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM

I had the FET on the 15th, so today I am officially 9dpo. I know I shouldn't be testing this early, but I tested this morning and got a BFN.

They put only one embryo in. They thawed one vial of two and one survived. They didn't thaw the second vial of two because, according to the doctor, putting in three would give me about a 15% chance of triplets when we took into consideration the high grade of the embryos (they were all graded as perfect). I was not willing to discard an embryo, nor was I willing to "reduce" the number of fetuses at 11w gestation (or at any other point for that matter). So he wanted to be conservative, and we put one in.

So, in my favor,
--transfer was graded as "easy" (To my surprise this is important as it has a big impact on resulting pregnancy rates, learn something new every day)
--embryo was perfect
--uterine lining was ideal (15mm)
--age of embryos is 32 years

Working against me:
--I tried to keep Katie from nursing more than 10x a day for the two days following transfer. That was really limiting her, too. After 48 hours of struggle where I kept her to about 9x/24 hour period (3 during the day and 6 at night) I gave up and said the heck with it.
--only one embryo transferred

The doctor estimated my chances of getting pregnant this cycle at about 25% (even though he knows I am nursing), which isn't bad if you consider that the average success rates for frozen transfer is 30% and that is almost always with two or more embryos. He followed that up with the statement, "I can't say for sure that you'll get pregnant but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you did."

So, in my head it is kind of 50/50 even though he said 25/75. I guess I am just an optimist. But I don't *think* I will be too disappointed if it doesn't take. . . the only downside is that this is just so much work and money for nothing, when you consider it is costing quite a bit, the shots, the other drugs/schedule, spending a week in a hotel room in CA and the two miserable procedures to make it happen. But oh well. The minutes tick by anyway, regardless of what we choose to do with them.

My blood test is Monday. I'll update after that. Fingers crossed for me!

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, I am on a plan of Estradiol and progesterone, both injections and vaginal 3x/day. I was worried about a decrease in my milk supply, particularly since I stopped taking Fenugreek a little before this cycle started and usually when I don't take that my supply dwindles to nothing. Shockingly I feel like I have MORE milk now! It's really something. . . when the estrogen didn't seem to make a difference, I thought the progesterone would kill my supply, but no. I'm still a milk making machine.
#63 of 116 Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM

Four home tests say I'm pregnant!

Here's hoping that the blood test confirms and HCG is rising normally!
#64 of 116 Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

That is absolutely awesome! Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you a very easy text-book pregnancy, great labor experience and a healthy cute baby : , of course!
yulia.
#65 of 116 Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks Yulia!

The preliminary bloodwork is in and my HcG is 101 at 11dpt/14dpo

And honestly, my daughter nursed like crazy though this process--15-20x/day most days, and 8-9x/day for the two days after transfer.
#66 of 116 Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Congratulations Katies Mama - Your success gives me hope. My IVF baby (21 month old dd) is still nursing and I have had concerns about another IVF cycle. We transfered 4 embryo's the first time and didn't have any to freeze. I wouldn't want to transfer that many the next time. My RE said many of her patients are letting the embryo's develop into blastocysts (sp?) and only transfering 1 embryo. So I was curious about what stage your embryo was at transfer.
#67 of 116 Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Hi JL'smom,

My embryo was 3 days old/8 cells, so still a zygote.

Here are some interesting studies done comparing blastocyst transfer to ZIFT and IVF:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13677012

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...39a0cff5efa5d7

Good luck!
#68 of 116 Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 AM

Thanks Katies mama, Those studies are interesting.
#69 of 116 Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaze View Post
I weaned my oldest at 14 months to conceive again. It was 8 years ago and I still regret it. I conceived twins and vowed to let them self wean before using more of my frozen embryos. They didn't wean until 4.5 years so the baby is 6 years younger than them. Now I have 2 embryos left and I'm debating what to do. I've sworn that I won't wean to do the FET. It's different for me though as I already have 4 children. If it were very high stakes (ie one of a few IVF tries) I'd probably wean. I only did one retrieval cycle though so all of my subsequent IVF's have been frozen cycles, my point being that my age wasn't an issue as far as likelihood of success and I could wait until I weaned. I'm 40 now, I did the retrieval cycle at age 30.
Wow that's amazing to know that all your kids were conceived at the same time, but born so many years apart.
#70 of 116 Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
Wow that's amazing to know that all your kids were conceived at the same time, but born so many years apart.
Yes, it's pretty cool. I never would have thought I'd have so many.
#71 of 116 Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 AM

Just amazing. I'm 41, and wishing I had some 36 year old frozen embryos. Should have put out the cash for it at the time, being cheap.
Just wanted to say congrats to the pg mamas!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#72 of 116 Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Hi, I am 16 weeks now and things are going as well as can be expected. We are still nursing. We cut back after transfer because they want the uterus to stay relaxed. I don't think it really matters. I have had off and on problems with spotting but the baby checks out just fine on U/S. I have a low lying placenta that seems to be causing the spotting, not because of nursing.

Just wanted to give you all an update so that you know it can be done! I will be 43 when this baby is born.
#73 of 116 Old 03-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Katie~ Congratulations!!!!! So exciting, you must be over the moon.
#74 of 116 Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
Katie~ Congratulations!!!!! So exciting, you must be over the moon.
Thanks so much! I am. And congratulations to you, too!
#75 of 116 Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Baby #1 was conceived via IVF when I was 42. I'd had 2 prior retrievals, and lots of embryos, but he was my first pregnancy (and a wonderful child he is.) My ovarian reserve was unprecidented at this clinic. 25 eggs (19 embryos) at age 42. However, even that didn't impress us when we found out. We had given up all hope and did this one last retrieval/transfer using IVIG. Frankly, at this point I don't know if the IVIG did anything. We only did it so 20 years from now we couldn't look back and say, "If only we'd tried IVIG." We had been under so much stress for the 4 years we'd ttc that I think it was the stress. You all know about infertility/IVF stress. That was such a minor part of what we were going through. The non-fertility stressors were resolved and I'd given up any hope of a pregnancy when we went into our 3rd retrieval. I had such a low stress level that time, that I think that's what made the difference.

Anyway, baby is now over a year and we are ready to try again. Last RE turned into a jerk, so we are with a new RE.

New doc says breastfeeding is insignificant, endocrinologically speaking, after the first few months, and didn't give it a second thought. So, we'll be going ahead with a FET in a couple months. He said the drugs won't hurt nursling. Based on everything, he gives us a 15 to 20% chance of a pregnancy.

I was so ecstatic at all this great news that I forgot to ask the effects of the drugs on my milk supply. I want to know the effects both while I'm using them and after I'm off them. I feel really confident that things will work this time, but I do want to know the effects on my supply should I not get pregnant. It's one thing for him to have less milk if I'm pregnant, it's another if I'm not pregnant.

I'll be taking lupron, estradiol, and progesterone. I think his clinic does both IM and vaginal progesterone.

I've read this whole thread and I only saw references to milk supply with estrogen and progesterone. Does anyone have experience with lupron? Perhaps you could also say your experiences with estrogen, progesterone, and any other drugs that other moms might need to take for IVF, IUI, and anything else.

Thanks.
#76 of 116 Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Lupron is an L5, and the only reason for such a dire rating is because it is possible that it will suppress milk production. I'd highly recommend getting a personal copy of Hale's book and looking up all of your medications in it, and photocopying pages to discuss with your RE.

Hale says of Lupron: "One study of a hyperprolactinemic patient showed significant suppression of prolactin which is the reason for my L5 categorization. It is of no risk to the breastfed infant, only to milk production."

You can do a managed cycle without it--I did. Tell your RE it's really bad for milk supply and ask him to do the cycle without Lupron?

Estrogen and Progesterone both have the potential to have an impact, but moreso early on in nursing. I found that my supply, if anything, increased a bit since starting treatment. I am still on a full dose of progesterone at 9w pregnant (first u/s last week showed a happy fetus!) and my milk supply is intact.
#77 of 116 Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 AM

Thanks, Katie's Mama. I went to amazon.com and did a "look inside" at Hale's bit on lupron. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me their experiences with it.

I did speak with my RE about a natural cycle. However, I only asked about it from milk quality, not supply, perspective. It's my understanding I may have a bit of an increase of pregnancy with a lupron cycle. It's the whole cost/benefit thing. Is the decrease in milk supply big enough to stay away from lupron, or is it small enough to not worry about it? Ugh, I wish this was all easier.

Thanks again.
#78 of 116 Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't ask for a natural cycle--just one without Lupron. You can still do a managed cycle with estrogen pre transfer and progesterone/estrogen combo afterwards.

Lupron is one way to do a managed FET, but as far as I know my RE never uses it for that, only the fresh cycles.
#79 of 116 Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I'll ask about it. Do you recall the exact protocol or do you know if it's listed online somewhere. That seems like a better solution.

Thanks again
#80 of 116 Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 AM

Hmm, no, I don't remember the specifics. I think it was an injection of .6 of estrogen every other day (or every third day? or fourth? foggy foggy memory) starting on CD3, and then two (?) days before transfer adding in 50mg progesterone vaginal 2x/day, and then the day of transfer upping that to 200mg Progesterone 3x/day with my first progesterone injection of 1.5cc PIO the day of or day after transfer. . . and continuing on that until now (3 200mg capsules/day plus 1.5cc PIO every other day). I think every RE has their own way of doing things. I know the vaginal supplements are the most effective and some RE's don't do PIO injections at all?

I'm sure your RE would be familiar with the protocol, though. I'm betting it is the same as doing it with Lupron. . . just without the Lupron.
#81 of 116 Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 AM

Thanks again. I placed a call to the RE's nurse today and expect a response in the next day or two. I want to do as much research as possible now, a couple months before the transfer, so I can be as prepared as possible.

Did you do anything else to prepare. I did acupuncture before and will do so again this time.

Thanks.
#82 of 116 Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM

I listened to the Earth Mama Angel Baby fertility CD for two weeks or so before the transfer. It was nice.
#83 of 116 Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM

I spoke with my RE's nurse today. They do have a protocol for FET without lupron. She said the lupron dose is very small (for the lupron protocol) and it may or may not effect milk supply. She said the drawback of the non-lupron protocol is they don't have control of my cycle, so there's always a small chance we could miss the right day for the transfer. However, if that happens, they don't thaw the embryos and we try again another month.

Katie's mama, can you tell me more about the earthmama cd. Before I order it, I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks
#84 of 116 Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM

I believe the reason Lupron works to control your cycle is because it neutralizes all of your existing hormones and allows them complete control. This would include prolactin. . . and though there are no absolutes it is more likely to impact your supply than estrogen/progesterone.

The earthmama CD is kind of like a hypnosis CD, though it is not marketed as such. It has a lot of nice visualizations, and helped me to approach the transfer positively, believing that I would really get pregnant. My attitude was, well, it can't hurt to think positively! It made me happy to listen to, too, picturing myself pregnant and fertile and everything working out.
#85 of 116 Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks. I'll try it. It sounds fun. I feel positive about this FET. Actually, I'm thinking twins, which sounds like way lots of work, especially tandem nursing a toddler, but we must do what we must do.
#86 of 116 Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Bump

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#87 of 116 Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM

I'm 21w along and my IVF babe is doing super. My 28mo DD is still nursing like a little fiend, even though there is no milk. I never could've done IVF if it meant weaning. . .I'm glad it worked out so well! Thanks for the bump--I'd love to hear how others are doing too.
#88 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM

KatiesMama~ Fantastic!

I am 32 weeks and everything is going better than we ever expected. I am still nursing dd 2-3 times a day/night. Our baby boy should be here in about seven more weeks just in time for 43rd birthday.
#89 of 116 Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 PM

I stumbled across this post looking for info on FET while nursing. We only have one frozen embryo and are not willing/able to do another full IVF cycle, so this is basically it. My son will be two in a few weeks and still nurses 'round the clock. He's such a sweet little guy who takes a lot of comfort in nursing, and I love it, too. I spoke to my RE on the phone the other day and I (stupidly) told her Henry was still nursing around 10 times a day. She said that she doesn't normally do FET on women who are still nursing, and that while there are no medical studies proving this, she feels that nursing while pregnant is a bad idea.

I actually feel fairly comfortable with doing the FET while nursing, based on what I've read and the fact that I know many moms who got pregnant naturally while nursing (and continued nursing during pregnancy and then tandem nursed). Why is it any different if the embryo is just placed in my uterus?

Anyway, my RE said they would have to check my prolactin level on my first visit and I don't know what level is acceptable. Does anyone know? momuveight2B and katies_mama, what were your levels and was that of any concern to your RE's? (And congratulations, by the way -- you give me hope!)

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#90 of 116 Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 AM

New Mama, while my RE did mention prolactin levels as a concern, he didn't test them. I've read, though, that they only spike when you're actually nursing. Perhaps if you send Henry off with someone for a few hours before the test you'll have a better chance of testing low?

FWIW, we only put one (previously frozen) embryo in, too, and here I am, almost six months pregnant with Benjamin. Katie (my 28mo) still nurses at least 10x a day, even though there is zero milk.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page