About to start IVF - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mumm, Sorry so many didn't last till T-day. I'll keep my : that all you need is ONE good one. :

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Mumm - Out of my original 18, only 4 made it. And obviously one of them worked. Good luck.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#33 of 57 Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Okay, transfer sucked. I couldn't wait to get off the table and pee! I was in such pain! So much for relaxing! Two made it to that point, and they gave me photos, which I hid away and don't want to see. (both 8BF) I feel icky, and I'm really struggling to "take it easy".

It is snowing and a no school day, so I am trying to entertain the two kids allllllll day. I had turned down several playdates, cause my mom said she'd be here. But she isn't. I can't shovel and Dp is going to try to make it home very late tonight, but the flight schedules are sure to be messed up, and as a pilot she flies stand by, so who knows. When she does get home she'll be shoveling snow in the dark to pull the car in the drive! She's a trooper.

I've been thinking off you, hockeylover, with your retrieval today. Think how many women are doing this same thing. Yet, irl, no one even talks about it. At my facility it was like a puppy mill. There were at least 14 couples there on my day, and they do this 7 days a week. And that is just at one facility out of many in my area.

And I think of you, chiromama and Adina, since you prove it can be done! Also, my neighbor had twins this week, who were conceived at my facility.

30% chance of success. If successful, a 1 in 3 chance of twins. Okay- going to eat my pineapple.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#34 of 57 Old 12-09-2005, 04:16 PM

Mumm, I'm sorry transfer sucked for you... they gave me valium, so I felt GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD during mine. (made up for the retrieval I had!) I'll keep my : for you, and hope hope hope that you are a giant success story

I have found that I talk about doing IVF with everyone I tell I'm pregnant. I figure, the more I talk about it, the less taboo it is. And also... the more I talk about it, the more people who talk about their own experience.

: hockeylover. Hope your ER goes well today!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#35 of 57 Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

My retrieval went well. She got 12 eggs which was 3 more than planned the other day. We'll know tomorrow how many are developing. Right now I feel perfectly fine. Just a little tired but I also have a cold so I feel like that's where the tiredness really is. I'll get a good night's sleep and be fine tomorrow. Thanks for all the good wishes and crossed fingers. I'll keep you all posted, of course.

Mumm, I'm sorry the transfer was so hellish but I'm really happy that 2 made it. I'll talk to my little fertility doll for you too. My facility will give me a valium too to "take the edge off". I had an HSG test months ago and that was REALLY painful and I'm told this catheter is much smaller so it couldn't be as bad as that first one.

There were a lot of people at my facility today too. Not sure exactly how many were all IVF because it's a surgical center but I'm sure it was a lot, especially with them trying to squeeze them all in before they shut down for 2 weeks for the holidays. And it's REALLY nice to have this MB and this thread to have people to talk to and commisserate with.
#36 of 57 Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
Mumm - Out of my original 18, only 4 made it. And obviously one of them worked. Good luck.
I think I had seventeen or so originally, and only three made it. They put two in, and now I have Henry!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#37 of 57 Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

My Dr. called about an hour ago. I've got 8 developing and 2 maybe's. 2 definite no-go's. Still, we're really happy with 8 and hopefully, they'll continue to cruise along. The other 2, well, she took a couple of slightly less mature eggs (thus the 12 retrieved instead of the definite 9 going in) so maybe they'll continue and they'll be good. It was too early to tell. Now, we just wait until Monday to see how the 8 are doing, they'll biopsy them and then we'll determine how many get transferred back on Tuesday. Originally she told me 3 so I'm thinking that that's what the goal is. We'll see. Keep those positive thoughts as I know you will. You've all been awesome so far and I thank you for that.

How are you feeling Mumm?
#38 of 57 Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Great news Juls!

#39 of 57 Old 12-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Good luck today!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#40 of 57 Old 12-14-2005, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good luck wishes. It's been a bit of a rough day actually.

When I spoke to my Dr. yesterday we had 8 embryos cruising along. They were going to do PGD and we'd know the results when i went in this morning. Well, the results weren't exactly what we were hoping for. 7 of the 8 had abnormalities. The last one has a possible abnormality but they can't say conclusively. They might have seen something on one of the chromosomes but they also acknowledge that it could be a shadow kind of thing so it could be a false-positive. So, after quite a few tears and a VERY uncomfortable full bladder (that was awful), we decided to transfer the one. Hopefully it will stick and then, assuming it does, we'll do a CVS test at 10 weeks to see what the real deal is and then make whatever decisions, if necessary, at that point.

The ultrasound Dr. was very sympathetic and he said we made the right decision. And my Dr. was great too. She was disappointed and never would've expected this but it also explains our previous difficulty in getting/staying pregnant. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed. I'm having a little trouble coming to grips with this whole concept that basically my eggs are no longer "good". Makes me rethink my entire life and my age, etc but I'm also trying to take it one day at a time and be positive that this one sticks. So that's pretty much my story, as I'm laying here on my bed with my laptop.

Mumm, how are you feeling??
#41 of 57 Old 12-14-2005, 02:57 AM

Juls. I'm sorry so many of the eggs had chromosomal abnormalities. Here's hoping that one is sticky and healthy.

#42 of 57 Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm so sorry. It is hard to feel like things are cruising along, and then bam! I hate when people say "it only takes one", but... they're right. It is true. Let's hope you've got the good one.

I was pretty bummed after the transfer too. And I didn't really get any rest. My mom skipped out to take care of my mentally ill sister (who is always 'ill' and suicidal if anyone other than her wants some attention from my mom. : ) We got over a foot of snow and that needed attention if we were to go about life, school, groceries, etc. My 2 year old was great about me not wanting to pick her up for a day and a half. She quickly learned to tell me to "come down", so we would snuggle for a bit with me kneeling, and then she could walk again. It is cold down their at their level in the snow!

I figure it is all out of my hands at this point. I try not to be too positive thinking, for fear of disappointment, but I do catch myself thinking "well, it could have worked. I mean, why not me?"

I'm glad that I test before Christmas, so at least we will know. A bfn is better than not knowing, imo. Hang in there hockeylover, and rest as much as you can now.

#43 of 57 Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Any news for you Mumm? I go in for bloodwork on Friday. I feel fine at the moment. It's too early to feel anything funky at this point. I am completely paranoid every time I go to the bathroom though, and I'm feeling every twinge, ache, something and get all worked up. I'm trying not to be stressed but it's a little difficult. I'm thinking of you and sending good thoughts to my little fertility goddess for you as well.
#44 of 57 Old 12-22-2005, 11:02 AM

I got my news a couple days ago. I have another hcg today to try to figure out if it is twins. I felt a lot of twinges at first and figured it must have been because so many people had been poking around in there and things were straightening themselves out.

When do you get to test?

(I hope it is ok to make this announcement in this forum. I am not intending to hurt anyone's feelings.)

#45 of 57 Old 12-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Congrats Mumm!! I'm so happy for you. I think it's more than appropriate to announce here. We're all in this together!

#46 of 57 Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
That's excellent! Congratulations!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#47 of 57 Old 12-23-2005, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

That's AWESOME Mumm! I'm so excited for you. Twins! Wow! That's a lot but so cool. Glad you're feeling things and I hope it's all good things. I'll let you know how it all goes for me tomorrow. Keep everything crossed, I'll need it.

Off to take my shot...
#48 of 57 Old 12-23-2005, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I heard from my doctor and I'm NOT pregnant. Needless to say, we're very upset. I feel like it's been a waste of time and money but maybe not. I suppose we have a better idea of why I can't get pregnant again, although I wish I knew what all those reasons were. We'll go see my Dr. after the holidays and talk about everything and see if there's anything else we can do, what the options are etc. I'm really disappointed but I know my odds weren't great from the beginning and then it just kind of went downhill from there.

Thanks for all your love and support. I really appreciate ALL the encouragement you've all given me. I'll keep you posted if there's more stuff in the future.

Mumm, I'm expecting full reports from you and your twins! woo-hoo!
#49 of 57 Old 12-23-2005, 09:27 PM

Juls I'm so very sorry. I hope your Holiday is still filled with peace and love

#50 of 57 Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM

I'm so very sorry. I'm impressed with how together you seem. I think you're allowed to be angry, though. But, I'll second chiromama's sentiments for findng some peace and love during the next few weeks.

#51 of 57 Old 12-25-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling better, more or less. Friday was a really sad day obviously. I got my period that night. I guess when you don't take that progesterone, and it was just time. Still not sure about what I even want to do, assuming there are options. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks. I still refuse to believe that I'm only meant to have one kid. Sure, we can adopt, but I really wanted to be pregnant. We'll have to see what's right for us.

I don't know that I have it "all together". This, of course, it bringing up a lot of things mostly triggered by my "advanced" age. I'll learn to cope with it all over time, I suppose. In the meantime, I can be happy for you Mumm. I'm really happy that this worked for one of us. I just wish we could go through it all together. I have three other friends and my sister pregnant, so it would've been nice to go through it all who's exactly at the same timing, ya know? Keep us posted. I still want to hear about those little ones in there.

Happy Holidays everyone!!
#52 of 57 Old 12-27-2005, 04:57 AM

Congrats mumm! So you are having twins then? How are you feeling?

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this cycle hockeylover. I feel for you. I'm 38, so I am also hearing a loud ticking sound that isn't quieting down. We are just at the beginning of the infertility journey though - I am taking clomid next cycle. Keep us posted on what you find out when you go back to the doc.
#53 of 57 Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to give a quick update since you all have been SO supportive through this "lovely" ordeal. We went back to the Doctor on Tuesday and basically, at 41, my eggs are bad. That's such a sad thought but apparently it's the way things are. Sure, I might get lucky with a good egg in there somewhere, but finding that one egg is like a needle in a haystack. I appreciate my lucky daughter all that much more. So, where does that leave us? Well, we have 3 choices - 1 - do nothing (not until all else fails), 2 - donor egg or 3 - adopt. Since other than my eggs, I'm apparently the picture of health and my doctor sees NO problem in me carrying, we're going to check out donor eggs. We have an appointment at an egg donor facility (what's the egg version of sperm bank?) next week. At least my doctor told me the odds were 50-60% that it would take which is certainly better than the less than 20% that was IVF, and we all know how that turned out.

So that's where we're at. Hopefully, this is the ticket for us. I figure there's still adoption down the line but I've got to try this while I still can.

Mumm, if you're reading this, how are you feeling?

Thanks again for the support.
#54 of 57 Old 01-14-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm so glad you updated us. I've been wondering how you were doing, but didn't want to revive a dead thread if you were not up to talking about it. Sorry you got 'bad egg' news from your RE. It seems like you are open to the options. My dp donated eggs after the birth of both of our kids. She did it through a bank, as a sort of pay back to our donor for helping us out. If that makes any sense.

We discussed the adoption option over the summer. (I grew up with my bio parents, but with a zillion foster siblings, so it felt like a comfortable, natural option for us.) But I live in Mass, and my partner I got married when it became legal. This put us out of the running for a lot of international adoptions. We also felt like our kids already have two strikes against them. 1. They have two moms. and 2. We have an income of $60K in a town where the average is $180. We thought that an adopted kid would have the third strike of being internationally adopted, and that he/she would be different in society AND within our family.

I hope something can work for your family. I am feeling......nothing. We've had a couple of small scares. As part of routine follow up, my hCG has been followed. We had a scary "come back in now for another blood draw and an u/s; you'll meet with the OR doc right after" message. We assumed the poor hCG meant ectopic. But we saw one little egg sac. The two we thought were not to be. We needed another follow up u/s and actually got to see a heart beat, but my hCG continues to progess 'slowly'. We are still being careful, and don't fully believe we'll have a baby in Aug.

Please keep us updated on your progress. For me, one of the hardest part of the ttc was feeling like my life was on hold for so long. Not being able to plan. Should we take the kids to the grand canyon next summer? Well I might be really pregnant, or we might have an infant, or...... The other was seeing the ever widening gap of age between the kids and the child to be. I know my sister was pregnant with her 1st child when a close friend was trying to adopt. When my sister gave birth, the friend brought home a 6 month old. All of a sudden the friend was "ahead", if that makes any sense. The same thing happened when they were both trying for #2. The adopting family brought home a 4 week old after only 6 months.

I'm not sure where I am going with all this. . But please do keep us updated. People who don't know you care too.

Heather

#55 of 57 Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after much consideration and checking out one of the egg donor places that my Dr. recommended, DH and I went down there, looked at a ton of profiles (we likened it to mail-order bride time) and narrowed it down to 5 girls that we liked. We brought home their profiles and let them just sit for a few days, to clear our heads. When we looked at them again, we put them in an order and called the place on Wednesday. Our #1 choice was still available so we're moving forward with the egg donor thing. She needs to get her psychological exams, then she'll see my Dr for all the medical stuff and then hopefully, it'll be a go. Not sure when it'll all happen but I'm thinking sometime in March at this point.

I'm still sad at the thought that all my eggs are bad. I mean, that's just so unbelievable to hear and take as reality, but that's what it is. I was sad the other day when we were looking at our 5 possibilities but once we called the place and was told she's available, I was getting excited again. When I spoke to my Dr. and one of the nurses in the office, they were both excited too so let's hope this all works this time.

Thanks again for listening/reading and yet again, for all the support. It's really nice to know that people out out there in cyberland. I really appreciate it.

Heather, I PM'd you directly.
#56 of 57 Old 01-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Juls! Moving forward on DE is so exciting! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts... keep us up to date on what happens!

#57 of 57 Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover
Well, after much consideration and checking out one of the egg donor places that my Dr. recommended, DH and I went down there, looked at a ton of profiles (we likened it to mail-order bride time) and narrowed it down to 5 girls that we liked. We brought home their profiles and let them just sit for a few days, to clear our heads. When we looked at them again, we put them in an order and called the place on Wednesday. Our #1 choice was still available so we're moving forward with the egg donor thing. She needs to get her psychological exams, then she'll see my Dr for all the medical stuff and then hopefully, it'll be a go. Not sure when it'll all happen but I'm thinking sometime in March at this point.

I'm still sad at the thought that all my eggs are bad. I mean, that's just so unbelievable to hear and take as reality, but that's what it is. I was sad the other day when we were looking at our 5 possibilities but once we called the place and was told she's available, I was getting excited again. When I spoke to my Dr. and one of the nurses in the office, they were both excited too so let's hope this all works this time.

Thanks again for listening/reading and yet again, for all the support. It's really nice to know that people out out there in cyberland. I really appreciate it.

Heather, I PM'd you directly.

Went to my RE on Tuesday and we discussed donor eggs, too. I also just can't believe my ovaries are done! Unreal. I'm going in for bloodwork day #3 in a couple of weeks in see just how tired my ovaries actually are. I'm trying to look on the bright side, tho...I am still nursing my only 19-month-old, and if we go with donor eggs, I think I can wait a little bit instead of traumatically weaning her to go with IVF in April.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page