Asking a question for my cousin who is TTC for nearly 4 years. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2006, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is her story:

Started TTC when she was 22, no luck, went to RE and found out she has major endometriosis and her DH has male factor issues as well. They did some treatment (Clomid? not sure) and then did TEN IUIs with no luck, had one miscarriage and then started saving up for IVF. Then, on a cycle when they were doing NO treatment, they conceived their DS - after 5 years of trying! He is now 4.

For nearly 4 years then, they have been TTC #2. Since they ultimately conceived while doing no treatment, and they have decided against IVF for religious reasons, they have not been seeing an RE until recently, not thinking the RE could do anything for them that they hadn't already tried before with no luck. But they eventually did go back to him and this is what he has them doing:

She is on Lupron for 6 months to "put her into early menopause", and supposedly help with the endo...
Then after the 6 months is up they will wait 2-3 months for her cycles to regulate and then TTC.

To me, this doesn't make sense. I do understand that sometimes BCPs are used to prevent ovulation for a few months as there is often a burst in fertility right after getting off BCPs. But why use Lupron; isn't that one of the drugs used for IVF?? It is making her totally sick, with horrible headaches. And then why would she have to wait after getting off it to TTC? I just wanted to ask on here whether anyone had done a similar protocol and what the reasoning behind it might be.

TIA.

Elizabeth (worried about my cousin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Lupron is used in IVF protocols to suppress the ovaries before stimulating them and also during stimulation. They found that that way they can maximize the number of follies for IVF and let them grow more evenly.
Lupron suppresses hormones, so it also suppresses growth of endo. After the lupron she probably has to wait until her hormones are back to normal again before TTC.
However, I think ussually lupron is used after a lap that takes out endo. Not sure if it will help much just by itself.

Carma
Old 02-18-2006, 05:32 AM

nak

This is a very common regimen for severe endo

Endo feeds on oestrogen - lupron means no oestrogen, so the endo implants shrink and become less active.

Most often they follow up with surgery to get the shrunken endo out.

User Tag List