reproductive endocrinologist--first visit (xpost with TTC) - Mothering Forums
Infertility > reproductive endocrinologist--first visit (xpost with TTC)
ksmeadowlark's Avatar ksmeadowlark 04:56 PM 03-15-2006
I am going to see a reproductive endocrinologist for the first time in a couple of weeks. DH and I have already had testing done (bloodwork for me, SA for DH--2 times/each), so they will have test results to look at, and my temp charts going back about 9 months.

Previous results indicated that the problem is not me and *may* be DH, but we are not really sure. We are not able to spend copious amounts of money for interventions, but I still want to go to the RE to see if they will give us some recommendations for diet, supplements, etc. Am I completely naive to think they might do this? I am afraid that they will just present us with the schedule of possible treatments (which we cannot afford) and leave us hanging. Insurance will pay half of testing and consulting fees, and NONE of any treatments sought.

Please share your experiences with first visits!
Thanks

adinal's Avatar adinal 06:06 PM 03-15-2006
In general - REs aren't going to give you supplement and diet advice, unless it is part of the bigger consult. For the most part they are there to figure out what is wrong, and fix it. They are not usually the most holistic practitioner out there.

That being said - the nurse at my REs office did give me some nutrition advice, told me what to avoid, and suggested what types of vitamins I should be taking. But that was for my first IVF visit.

I would suggest meeting with the RE to see what they have to say, and if they do include any of that.

I would also see if you can meet with an acupuncturist, or a naturopath to get more of the advice you are looking for.

SusannahM's Avatar SusannahM 10:38 PM 03-30-2006
I wouldn't expect any advice about supplements, for sure, maybe diet if you are lucky. They will be helpful in re-reading your bloodwork and firming up your diagnosis, and from there you can research on your own what to do.

My ob/gyn with my bloodwork was hopeless. She just said "unexplained infertility". I researched it on my own, and my testosterone seemed high even though it was just barely in the lab's normal range and I was pretty sure it was PCOS before I went to the RE. He took one look at the testosterone result, said "this is about 3x what it should be for your size", and "you have PCOS." He then presented his plan for me to get pregnant, which included injectables and such.

All I really needed was that definite diagnosis, and then I researched on my own, went on an appropriate diet, and had regulated my cycles in 3 months, and was pregnant 3 months after that.

I was glad, though, that I did have the RE's plan for injectables and all that if I needed to fall back on it, actually, though. Actually, we had decided that if I didn't get pregnant the cycle I got pregnant, we were going to start his regimen, and all it would have taken would have been a phone call to get started at that point.
Up