Miscarriage and strange bleeding... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ya'll,

I recently had my second miscarriage, and have an odd question. Here's the story:

Found out I was pregnant, had a blood test, doctor confirmed that it looked "good".

Later in that same week, I had horrible cramping, and some brown spotting. Called the doc, they said it was probably implantation bleeding. But, the cramping didn't stop, and 3 days later I had another blood test. That test showed that the pregnancy hormone was not "doubling as expected" and I was likely miscarrying. Later that same day I started bleeding and had literally the worst period of my life. And it was very obvious what was going on. I talked with the doc again and she was reassuring that this was just the passing- no worries.

After 7 days the bleeding stopped- I felt like I do after my period. The strange thing, and here's the question, is that last night I started bleeding again. Bright red and with "stuff" in it; if you know what I mean. I also had a lot of cramping again.

I called the doctor and she said that when you miscarry you can "sluff it off in stages". Is that true? I don't mean to doubt my doctor, but I was under the impression that you "pass" the pregnancy and that's like having a period- I didn't think it was like having 7 days of a period followed by some time off and then some more bleeding???

Any advice or words of wisdom on this one? I'm hoping for some idea of what to expect here, because that makes me feel a little better. Going to the bathroom and seeing more blood yesterday was a shock and a poignant reminder of what I've been through, and as you all know this is very difficult.

Thanks, and I appreciate your thoughts,
Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 PM

Obviously we are all unique but I can relate somewhat. After my mis my doctor recommended a d+e. I was told that was the most efficient way to clear things up. I was in the middle of many months of fertility issues, and was advised to have it as it would be good for the next pregnancy, as well as emotionally. I was definitely of the impression that a "more natural mis" could in fact take awhile to clear up. I hope things go better for you next time.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:27 PM

Melinie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a miscarriage at 7wks along. I opted to have a natural miscarriage and bled for nine weeks. It did come in stages. The first few days were fairly intense, with a lot of cramping and contractions. Then it tapered off and I kept waiting to be finished, but that didn't happen until nine weeks later, when I passed another 'mass' (which I believe was the embryonic sac). Shortly after that, I stopped bleeding.

Hang in there, mama. I hope this is all over for you soon

User Tag List