acupuncture/herbs helpful if ovulating normally? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been TTC for a year and are considering what steps to take next. I'm 33 and DH is 42. DH is going to get a SA, but I was thinking I might as well start investigating what to do if that comes back 'normal'. My naprapath suggested that I see two people she works with who work with herbs and acupuncture, but most of the threads I've seen on herbs and acupuncture seem to focus on regulating your cycle. My cycle is very regular and I seem to be ovulating as far as fertility awareness and ovulation test kits indicate. Do you think it's worth going to see an acupuncturist/herbalist if everything with my cycle seems normal?

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM

I think it is worth it. Just because your cycle appears normal, it does not mean that there isn't something else wrong. The herbs I took regulated my entire body, not just my cycle. And my acupuncturist did some test before he started and saw where my infertilty was coming from (I had issues with my stomach, intestines, and thyroid--well actually, pretty much everything was out of whack in one way or anther, but these were the worst). Yours may be able to test both you and your SO to see who has the problem and where it lies. It may not be you. At this point for us, I am pretty sure my dh is part of the problem.

I assume that you have been charting your cycle--taking temperatures and looking at mucus and all that? I got my 3rd child with acupuncture (and herbs) alone, and got my 4th pregnancy with charting and acupuncture (and herbs). I lost that one, but at least I conceived.

Good luck!

Kim
#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I think acupuncture is a great idea! It can only help you further balance yourself.

Herbs on the other hand, can end up causing problems...so unless you are taking them under the advice of a naturopath or whattever, I wouldn't mess with it. Make sense? If there is seemingly nothing wrong, then you don't want to try and "fix" something. So yeah, if someone who is knowledgeable thinks you should take something - that is a great thing - but I wouldn't self medicate.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I've been charting for two years. Everything looks normal there as far as I can tell. But of course, I know that there could be more going on.

I would definitely not take herbs unless it was prescribed by a naturopath or someone with some training. To tell the truth, I'm a little leery of herbal supplements generally. The acupuncture I have no problems with. I have a friend who has a TCM degree and when he was learning, he did a few practice treatments on me.

I need to go in for my annual exam with my OB/GYN, so I think I'll ask her about testing for progesterone/thyroid stuff, just in case. I'm open to going to a RE, too. DH is seeing his GP on Monday and will get checked out and referred for a SA if necessary.

So much to learn about, so much to do.

#5 of 7 Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 PM

If you are sure you are ovulating normally, perhaps you should get an HSG to make sure there aren't blockages or such. There could definitely be a physical problem.

Make your husband get an SA for sure, first, though, because that's not painful at all, and if there is a blockage, an HSG can be painful. I'm always for doing the not painful things to rule out stuff first
#6 of 7 Old 03-30-2006, 09:37 PM

I think acupuncture is good for most things. As far as herbs go, most tcm programs are really good with herbs, and herbal medicine is an important part of acupuncture in most schools (not all, some rely more on other modalities, acupuncture, cupping, moxabustion). Don't worry, they will be careful about your body. Naturopaths prescribe completely different herbs/ and methodology, so if your acupuncturist prescribes herbs, don't worry, they know what they are doing.
#7 of 7 Old 03-31-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

DH saw his general practitioner on Monday, and the doc found nothing wrong during the physical exam (whew!), so he wrote a scrip for DH to go get a semen analysis (along with some other bloodwork unrelated to fertility). I'm going in on April 4 to see my general practitioner (who does my annual pelvic exam/pap test) and talk to her about fertility. I'm hoping that she'll be able to send me for simple bloodwork to rule out stuff like low progesterone before I have to go to a reproductive endocrinologist.

After reading the posts here and looking around elsewhere, I also talked with my naprapath and got the name of her recommended acupuncturist. So I'll make an appointment with him, soon, too. I'd prefer a female acupuncturist, but my naprapath sees this guy herself and likes him, and she also thinks he has a good track record with fertility issues.

We also decided to take the weekend off the next time I ovulate and just concentrate on BD'ing, so we booked a room at the local Hilton (thanks Hotwire.com!) to get away. I can't wait for this little mini-vacation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page