Mothering Forum banner

The Infertility Cure

14K views 154 replies 27 participants last post by  OTMomma 
#1 ·
Anyone want to talk about the book and what you are doing different since reading it?

#127 ·
I tried sea vegetable chips today. I remember seeing seaweed and algea on one of the lists of things good to eat. I stood in Wild Oats today and looked at the seaweed and felt there was no chance I could cook it right- so I went with the chips that taste like someone put finely chopped broccili in a rice cake. Not bad, not great either, tastes fine with hummas. Anyway- anyone else eating seaweed or algea and have advice on how to prepare it???

#128 ·
No, I'm sure it would be good for me, but, well, ugh.

But you might try one of the internet recipe sites - I like allrecipes.com and epicurious.com. Not sure if they would have anything, but worth a look. Good luck!

#132 ·
I want to say a quick hi to you all! I was reading this thread and got so interested in the obook that I ordered and it and just got it 2 days ago! I'm really loving this book-exactly what I needed at the right moment.

We started ttc from last cycle. I always had regular cycle 30-35 days but for the last 2 cycles my cds were 80+!
I'm not sure what was going on except that I knew I have gained *quite* some weight
: I'm having such problem ovulating and then last cycle my LP was 10days (yikes)!

I am just liking this book so much that I don't even think someone needs to be infertile to read it, just about anyone can get great help from this vast info!!

My diagnosis was Spleen Qi deficiency, Blood Deficiency (at my last annual blood test showed I've anemia even though in the book it says blood def isn't related to anemia), and Blood Statis.

I'll post later what are the things that I'm going to do different, already started few. I'm also interested in aucupuncture, I never had it.

Nice thread!

#136 ·
We went to our local Costco the other day and they have the Del Monte Gold pineapple (the super sweet kind) for $2.99 each!! AND, you can buy just one at a time - not five or some ridiculous Costco number!

They are normally $5 a piece at our local grocery stores, so that looked like a pretty good buy to me!

We bought two - one for now and one for next week. Planning to go back for another. Whatever works, right?

Just thought I'd share...

#139 ·
That was how I was too. I belive somewhere she says if you have more than 25-30 percent of the answers in one category, you should treat for that category. I ended up with three - Kidney Yin, Kidney Yang, and Spleen, which my acupuncturist confirmed. I also had some symptoms in other categories, but only one or two, not enough to be considered a problem.

Hope that helps!

#140 ·
Heather- I'd start with whichever one seems to have the largest percentage of yes answers, and do what she suggests for those that you feel you can handle. I personally have made my diet changes gradually, so I wouldn't get too overwhelmed trying to fix everything at once.

#141 ·
On the topic of me- I really believe that my cycles have improved in lots of ways since making my diet changes. I've now been working on this diet for 3 full months, my cycle is just a little longer, my symptoms have decreased, AF is heavier, and i have SO much more energy.

However, I'm impatient. The book says that for my specific issues, clomid might be of help (it does say it isn't for everyone, which I appreciate), so dh and I are trying clomid this cycle. I took my first one today!

#144 ·
I'm still basically doing the diet and I really feel better for it. But I took Clomid (as I said the book said it would be good for me) and now I'm pg!
Due in June. Got pg the first cycle on it after doing the diet for 4 cycles which I think helped prep my body a lot.

#147 ·
Just wanted to chime in here... congrats again Laura on your BFP!

No such news for us yet, but the diet changes we have made have been fabulous. Cutting out white flour in particular seems to be huge for me, especially for my IBD, which shows no symptoms when I eat on my new regimine! Yay! It is likely I could still conceive without the diet changes, as we are primarily dealing with male factor IF, but I feel so much better and have so much more energy, it is defeinitely worth it. I do miss my coffee, though... and have to confess I have splurged and treated myself to a couple of soy lattes - I figure once in a while won't hurt...

Also, I just found this receipe for sugar free, wheat free apple pie - and it looks YUMMY! We have a bumper crop on our apple tree, so I will have to try this this weekend, but I had to share right away:

Apple Pie (Raw)

Almond Crust
2 1/4 cups ground almonds
3/4 cup pitted medjool dates, unsoaked
1/4 teaspoon salt
Process all the ingredients in a food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs and begins to stick together. Don't overprocess. Distribute evenly over the bottom and along the sides of a 9-inch pie pan and press firmly, especially where the bottom of the pan joins the sides. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.

Apple Pie Filling

2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 cup raisins, soaked
2 apples, peeled and chopped 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Toss the sliced apples with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and set aside. Place the chopped apples, dates, raisins, cinnamon, and remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth. Remove and mix with the sliced apples.

Remove the crust from the freezer. Pour in the apple filling and press down with a rubber spatula. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Bring to room temperature, or warm in a slow oven (heat to 200 degress, turn off, and slip in pie for 15 minutes) or 105-degree dehydrator (for 30 minutes).

#148 ·
In Sept I spontaneously decided to drastically reduce dairy. I had only gone dairy free once before (6 years ago for 6-8 months), and it was horribly difficult. I always wanted yogurt and cheese. This time, I just went with my whims and I've only had about 5-10 servings in the last two months!

But I've dropped a lot of weight. I'm now 5-7lbs shy of "underweight" by BMI standards, and I don't have a fine bone structure. Kinda freaked about that. I'm paying more attention to making sure I get a full lunch and not just a snack, and I don't feel like adding regular dairy back again - but I haven't been this light since high school - and that was a long, long time ago!

Not sure it's making a difference anyway - Sept-Oct was my longest cycle ever, and this one is shaping up to be at least as long (CD25 and no O yet). I was doing much better in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.