The Infertility Cure - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to talk about the book and what you are doing different since reading it?

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#2 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am working at not eating dairy- which I realized I wasn't eating 5 years ago when I concieved my dd. I'm also trying to cut sugar and wheat agressively. I've been reading the list of all the other foods I should and shouldn't eat, and I found it to be a little more than I could remember.

I'm also trying to do some acupressure, soak my feet in warm water, and put a heating pad on my lower abdomin daily before O (I had cold uterus). I'm not doing the herbs, as the other herbs I've tried in the past have not always resulted in the desired response, so I'm warry of those.

Oh, and my biggest issues I'm working on are Kidney Yang Deficiency, Spleen Def. and cold uterus. I have other mild issues, but decided to focus on the worst ones.

#3 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM

:
Will post more later
#4 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 10:02 PM

i'm picking it up tomorrow...

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#5 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 PM

OK my book isn't in front of me but its both Kidney and spleen for me. Now it totally makes sense why my naturopath asked me to do castor oil compresses cd 5-12. I did it three times and was hoping for more, but it will have to do. I was at the grocery store tonight and bought some walnuts, raspberries, pineapple and pumpkin seeds. I'm trying to make some small changes like these for snacking, I already eat hardly any dairy. I also tried a few of the acupressure points. I also really need to get back to some yoga! I'll just have to keep going through the book to get more ideas for diet.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#6 of 155 Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Leslie- I also felt like I had symptoms of lots of things. Looking at my charts, it looks like I have luteal phase defect, so I looked that up in the later part of the book and it listed my main problems, but it also listed descriptions of women who have those issues and I felt most like I identified with spleen problems from that. So I've decided to go back and reread the spleen suggestions. I don't feel like I can do all the suggestions.

But dh went to the store today and bought cherries and grapes for snacking. I made some wheat free oatmeal cookies. And we planned meals with no wheat and no dairy- those were HARD for me. I am used to living off pizza, and mac-n-cheese! But I've been asking in the Good Eating forum here, and gotten lots of good ideas.

#7 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 AM

I haven't figured out everything yet, but I am going to try to follow the natural treatments for endometriosis since I know I have that. This includes:
- warm aromatherapy baths
- regular moderate exercise
- consume soy and soy products like tofu
- eat organic fruits and veggies
- avoid refined and hydrogenated oils
- use flaxseed oil/pumpkin seed oil
- avoid all animal products, including meat, dairy, and eggs
- avoid peanuts (what kind of sandwiches will I eat!)
- include more kelp, lemons, limes, onions

my herbal treatments from another infertility book include my herbal mix with dong quai, plus b vitamins, zinc, liquid chlorophyll, and I take a greens tablet. At the herbal store, she felt I was a little low on iron and magnesium so I am trying to get more of those minerals in my diet.

Whew. It seems like a lot I take every day! I just wish it tasted better

Laura, summer is a GREAT time to start this diet with all the delicious in-season fruit coming out!! Who needs sugar?

If anyone likes ginger cookies, I have a yummy chewy ginger cookie recipe that I can share. It is sweetened with molasses and maple syrup
#8 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 10:41 AM

astrid, i'd to see that recipe! is it wheat-free?

i've been living wheat-free for about a year now after finding out that it was the trigger for migraines. there are some great products out there now - even in 3 of our local conventional grocery stores!

for bread i prefer spelt. it doesn't have the funny/ sweet taste of rice flour. vermont bread company makes a great spelt sandwich bread.

for pasta, tinkyada makes wonderful rice pasta that is not glutenous or generally yucky. it holds it shape well and has a good taste. not good for leftovers, though. i must admit that when i am in serious comfort food zone, i will take the packet from Kraft mac'n'cheese and use it with this pasta. i know, total loser territory!

i have an AWESOME spelt scone recipe that beemama gave me - i'd also be happy to share... it's real treat-territory, though... lots of butter. mmmm butter.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#9 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 11:10 AM

Shoot! The recipe does say whole wheat flour...

Dreena from Vive le Vegan says that you can substitute spelt flour for ww flour but may have to add a bit more or a bit less. I guess I'll have to play around with the recipe. I can still post it if you like though.
#10 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I've been experimenting using oat flour as a substitue for whole wheat. I think spelt has a really heavy flavor, and the oat is lighter. However, the oat cookies I made last night, came out sort of like little oat cakes- instead of being chewy they raised a little. They are still good, but I've got to figure out how to get chewy cookies! I'd like to have the recipe Astrid, I'll test it with oat flour.

Celeste- After you do the first part of the book, and diagnose yourself, you can look in the later part for info on how to support your drug cycle. I think there are certain accupressure points and various stuff specific to doing western treatments.

#11 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Laura I also felt like the LPD and spleen deficiencies applied most to me. I picked up some pineapple, pumpkin seeds, walnuts & raspberries for a snack. Tonight I'll just eat leftover pork and whatever veg I can find. My dh is a chef so I'm hoping he'll sit down and help me figure this out. I also live on pizza, mac n cheese, bagels etc. Also on the weekend I had some "white" green tea that my mom picked up at Costco of all places. It was wonderful. Until now I've had a big black tea addiction b/c I always stop at Tim Hortons in the morning.

I'd love to hear any recipes and/or meal ideas that everyone comes up with.

#12 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Astrid- so you are supposed to go all the way to Vegan hu? That would be hard for me and my dh would FREAK.

Leslie- meals for this week for us include- Kabobs, pork chops with corn and beans, stuffed peppers with mashed potatoes, salmon patties (will have to put a little bread crumbs in them) with veggies, and stir fry with brown rice. I'm having a really hard time not eating "cold and raw foods right out of the fridge" though. I go in and take out of the fridge my fruits to warm up for 10 minutes before I eat them, but for some reason after giving up wheat, dairy and sugar- this seems like a HUGE deal. Like I can't even eat what I've got left! Though I'm giving up icecream and popsciles and ice in my drinks without a big deal.

#13 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Astrid, you could get almond butter instead of peanut butter. I almond butter.

#14 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Sugar is so hard to give up! Its everywhere! Anyhow here is a recipe that I've made a few times and really enjoy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/231789

ROAST CHICKEN WITH ASPARAGUS AND TAHINI SAUCE
click photo to enlarge
2 lb asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (3 to 4 lb total)
1/3 cup well-stirred tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic clove, minced

Put oven racks in middle and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 15- by 10-inch shallow baking pan. Roast on bottom rack, shaking pan once or twice, until just tender, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pat chicken dry and sprinkle all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet (not nonstick) over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken, turning over once, until golden, about 6 minutes total. Transfer skillet to middle of oven and roast until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.

While chicken roasts, purée tahini, water, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. (Add more water if sauce is too thick.)

Serve chicken and asparagus drizzled with some of sauce and with remaining sauce on the side.

#15 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I love roasted asperagus, that recipe sounds really yummy! Thanks for sharing! So far, I'm not stressing about the sugar, most of the sugar I ate was in things with wheat or dairy- so they get ruled out for that. I figure if I cut that much out, then the little I eat otherwise should be OK. (I guess if I don't get prego in another few months I might worry more about that one)

#16 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Mamas,

I haven't read the book, but nutrition has long been one of my pet issues, so I wanted to add some of what I have learned. I did a lot of research on the raising of animals in the us a few years ago and came to the conclusion that the additives, fillers, hormones, and antibiotics in mass marketed meats are making us all sick. For instance, Rbst causes infertility in cows - but it is supposedly safe for humans, who are after all, just another mammal?!? The upshot of this was the only mean we will eat now is the expensive, free range, vegetarian fed, hormone free, etc., stuff, which has spurred me to find some good veggie alternatives for at least half of our meals.

As it looks like some of you may be on this path as well, I wanted to share some of my fave vegetarian cookbooks, in case you haven't found them already:

Diet For a Small Planet (Frances Moore Lappe)
Recepies for a Small Planet (Ellen Buchman Ewald)
Vegetarian Planet (Didi Emmons)

Any of the Moosewood Collective cookbooks.

The small planet cookbooks especially use a variety of grains, esp. rice and oat, and has great high protein meatless recipes. The Vegetarian Planet and Moosewood books both have some great vegan alternatives to several of their recipes.

Personally, we found that we felt a lot better after changing to a mostly organic, whole foods diet. We rarely, if ever, get sick anymore, and our energy is a lot better. I don't know if it has helped our fertility, but the vitality and increased health alone is worth it.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#17 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Ginger Snaps

3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tbsp finely grated fresh gingerroot (but I cheat and use 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp powdered ginger)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix together maple syrup, molasses, oil and gingerroot. (the recipe says in a blender but since I use powdered ginger I don't bother)
In a large bowl, put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the maple syrup mixture and combine using as few strokes as possible.
Drop level tbsp-fuls of dough about 1 inch apart on lightly oiled baking sheets.
Bake at 350 deg F for about 12-15 minutes
Let cool 2 minutes then transfer to wire rack.

I am a lazy cook so I don't use the blender (more dishes to wash ) These come out nice and chewy Sometimes I need a sweet treat and these satisfy me without the guilt. I'm curious to see how other flours work with it because I may be going off wheat too!

I'll go through my recipes and see what else I can add
#18 of 155 Old 06-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma
Oh, Astrid, you could get almond butter instead of peanut butter. I almond butter.
The sad irony is I am allergic too all nuts except peanuts However, I have been tempted to give almond butter a try because it is the least "greasy" of the nuts and I remember growing up my dad would buy lots of Fruit and Nut chocolate bars and when I really wanted some chocolate I would eat them but pick out the almonds. I never had a reaction to them and some nuts, like walnuts, just the smell makes my throat start to tingle.

I feel like I am running out of things to eat though I did sprinkle a little parmesan on my caesar salad today. Cheese will be the hardest for me to give up and I don't like soy cheese
#19 of 155 Old 06-13-2006, 09:29 PM

OK here's a question. Maybe I missed it when I was reading the book. Is all pasta considered off limits? Or is whole wheat pasta ok? My dinner tonight was ww bow ties with spagetti sauce/ground pork & spinach. This is one of my favourite meals. Usually I make it with bacon and tortellini and red wine in the sauce! If so what do you have instead? I find pasta hard to give up since I don't know how to cook very well. At least the chef has promised me samon florentine (never had it before) later this week.

And one more question. I'm getting really good about drinking 8 glasses of water a day, gave up morning oj no problem. If my water is a little low can I include herbal tea in the count?

#20 of 155 Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Personally, I gave up all whole wheat and all white flour based stuff, including pasta. If you go to a whole foods store, there are lots of pastas made with other types of grain- the weird part is that some of them have strange textures, others are OK, its a bit of an experiment. I think most other grains are considered OK, or even good.

Cooking wise- a lot of things that are good with pasta are also good with rice. I make a meal where I brown chicken breast meat on the stove top, then add a jar of tomato sauce and simmer about 20-30 minutes and serve over rice. I also used to eat a LOT of pasta, so we should take turns trading meal ideas.

I think herbal teas are fine, as long as they are free of caffine and stimulants. I'm not doing as good at drinking water, I have to add just a little juice to it to give it a flavor, but still better than drinking all juice.

#21 of 155 Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Astrid- I am so sorry you can't have other nuts! So you can have bread, but can't put anything on it but olive oil? That's hard. You should definately make a list of everything you can eat- I have found that helps me feel less deprived. I'm also cheating and having a little cheese on my salads- I mean, if I go out to eat, and all I can get is a salad.... I'm going to eat the cheese.

Here is the start of a list of foods you can eat:
Popcorn
Fruits- cherries, grapes, apples, bananas, oranges, pineapples, etc
Veggies- Asperagus, Beans, Green Beans, squash, zuccini, carrots
Roasted Sweet potatoes
Baked Potatoes with salsa
Vegitable soup- with corn bread (I'm in the south)
Vegetarian chilli- over organic corn chips
Chinese Spring rolls

Oh- and a favorite of mine, stir fry one zuccini cut into long strips, with one sweet onion in 1tbsp. cooking oil season with soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve over brown rice.

#22 of 155 Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas Laura

I'm thinking of cutting out whole wheat even though it doesn't say for me to do that in TIC, but I noticed today that I feel extra tired and I had toast for breakfast so I'm wondering if it's connected.

I definitely feel like I'm running out of ideas for things to eat but I love love love spring rolls so I think I'll whip up a big batch of those next week for my dinners

I'm so glad I don't have to cut out fruit because those are my favourite foods, esp now when strawberries and blueberries are coming out, then peaches and plums And of course I have my post O pineapples every month
#23 of 155 Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM

I want this book! You all are really piquing my interest with all this talk!

I can't afford to buy it right now, but I'll see if my library has it. In the meantime, maybe one of you could answer whether or not it would be helpful to me. I have hypothyroid and don't ovulate regularly. But I don't have endometriosis, PCOS, etc. None of the usual stuff. My first IVF cycle failed, but for no apparent reason, and I'm going to do a FET in July.

Is there anything in this book that will help me or help make my uterus/uterine lining a happy place for embies to stick? I want to do everthing I can in the next month to make it work this time. I am drinking my raspberry leaf tea and having acupuncture, chiropractic, and reiki. If there is anything I can eat/not eat, drink/not drink, or otherwise prepare my body over the next month, I will.

Thoughts?

Edited to say that I certainly don't expect anyone to type out the whole book for me or do the research for me! I'm just wondering if it's worth pursuing the book with the issues that I have, or is it mostly for the fertility issues that I do not have?
#24 of 155 Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 AM

Cooking wise- a lot of things that are good with pasta are also good with rice. I make a meal where I brown chicken breast meat on the stove top, then add a jar of tomato sauce and simmer about 20-30 minutes and serve over rice. I also used to eat a LOT of pasta, so we should take turns trading meal ideas.

I just remember what I have in the freezer Roasted red pepper soup. It is so good. I'll post the recipe when I get home tonight. It makes a huge batch and its really tasty.

I can't afford to buy it right now, but I'll see if my library has it.

Megan my library didn't have it, but it was well worth the $23 I spent. Probably getting it for a few weeks from the library would be good enough also. Its a really interesting take on nutrition.

I have always drank diet coke and I'm doing pretty good giving it up. I started using Crystal Light to get used to drinking so much water. Only like one pkg for a whole days water but still. The other night my sister told me that they won't even start fertility treatments if you admit to using artificial sweetener! I didn't have any yesterday and survived. I was pretty bummed after I saw my two sisters b/c they had a few things to say about the RE I'm scheduled to see that remind me of what a #$^^ he is. Like he won't see you if you're also seeing a naturopath. My older sister saw him for years and didn't have any problems with him (except he couldn't get her pregnant). He is just rather arrogant and I really didn't like him as an OB ( for dd) I dread going back to him at all, but feel like the clock is ticking and I need to do something. Anyways venting over I really need to get ready for work :

#25 of 155 Old 06-14-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Megan- This book can definately help you. In it, you take a test and self diagnose your problems based on chinese medicine- these do not necessarily have any connection to western based diagnosis- like PCOS etc. It then gives you a whole list of diet, herbs and acupressure points to work on. It also has in the back specific information for how to support IVF and other ART treatments. I ordered it off Amazon and I think it was less than the cover price. Unless your acupuncturist has already had you do a total change of diet and herbs and such....

Leslie- I wouldn't see a doctor that I felt that way about. I'd find another doctor. Dealing with someone like that will only create stress in your life, which won't help you concieve. Roasted red pepper soup sounds yummy.

Astrid- Eating whole wheat makes me feel like I have the flu. I gave up the whole grain stuff years ago when I made the connection, but only just gave up the white proecessed stuff, as it didn't bother me as much. Did you do the test in the book? What were your diagnsis?

I personally think the change of diet is already affecting me. I am having more energy for dealing with the house work and my temps made a nice dip yesterday and nice post O temp today. (Unfortunately the start of my cycle the chart looks awful, so I'm thinking it might take a month or 2 for things to really get to where they need to be).

#26 of 155 Old 06-14-2006, 07:33 PM

I haven't read the book but, soy? I thought soy was bad for the thyroid, among other things? It gives me killer migraines, even just a little bit, so it's not really an option for me. I don't do any grains, either, and beans only a few times per week, so animal protein is my only source other than dairy, which I only use in minute quantities (like 2 oz of yogurt per day). I used to be a vegetarian, and my periods were practically nonexistant! At least now they're only every 6 weeks. I will see if I can get it from the library.

Wanted to say, one alternative to Crystal Light (yuck!) is Emergen-C from the health food store in purified water. They have a lite version, not sure what the sweetener is.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#27 of 155 Old 06-14-2006, 08:18 PM

I did the test and in the book and I think I failed them all. Well, not quite but some things I wasn't too sure about. It seems I am heading in the right direction with the nutritional changes but none of my "problems" recommend eliminating whole wheat flour. I am going to try to lessen the amount I consume though, just in case.

I know this all takes time but it's hard when I already feel like I've been waiting a lifetime for my bfp

Leslie, I would try to find another doctor too.
#28 of 155 Old 06-14-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Pookietooth- Exactly what the book recommends you eat, is very specific to how you answer the list of questions. It says soy is fine if you have one condition but not another, the same with meat and dairy. Of course if you know something makes you sick you shouldn't eat it. For me, it said to give up all dairy, but to be sure to eat either eggs or meat for 1-3 servings a day, and not to eat soy either.

Astrid- I totally hear you on feeling like you had everything. I think the only thing I felt I really didn't have was heat. I need more heat- so I'm cooking with ginger, cinnamon, and pepper. I've been suprised at how smoothly its gone taking the wheat out of my diet. I still want cheese really badly, and am cooking with a tiny amount of butter- but the wheat is gone. It does suck waiting for the bfp.

#29 of 155 Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM

TIC was very helpful to me. I found a paragraph that explained all my random "symptoms" together. Some of them, I didn't even think of as "symptoms" (e.g., cold feet). Once I read that paragraph, I had to buy the book. A week later, I was at a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner for acupuncture and herbs.

I have been doing weekly acupuncture and daily (prescribed) herbs since November. I feel better than I have in the past 3 years (when my lupus started). So, I feel that it's treating both my left-over lupus symptoms AND addressing fertility issues.

I think it is important to get a trained practitioner to help with your diagnosis. After reading the book, I had thought one of my primary diagnoses was was that I was "cold" (e.g., cold feet), but my Chinese doctor said that I had excess heat, which was bound up internally. For example, my feet and hands were cold because the heat wasn't circulating. Other things associated with excess heat: my autoimmune disorder (inflamation is hot), my excessive thirst, my short cycles (heat "pushes" the blood out of you)...It has changed my way of thinking.

I will say that I haven't made the dietary changes that I should. I tried - I bought organic walnuts, and I ate a lot of sweet potatoes in the winter - but I can barely eat enough as it is. Perhaps I'll focus more on diet now that I'm not going to acupuncture every week (I moved...no Chinese doctor in sight )

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#30 of 155 Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Susan- Glad to hear that chinese medicine has helped you feel so much better. You are probably right that you should make those diet changes now. I would probably re-do the test in chapter 4, as your diagnosis have probably changed a lot since November. Do feel free to jump in on the food dicussion when you know what changes you are going to make.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page