How many months of Clomid did it take to get a bfp? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many cycles of Clomid did it take?
1 cycle 9 100.00%
2 cycles 5 62.50%
3 cycles 6 75.00%
4 cycles 2 25.00%
5 cycles 1 12.50%
6 or more cycles 6 75.00%
I did not get pregnant using Clomid 15 100.00%
Other - please explain 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wonderin'

In addition, feel free to elaborate: were you on any other meds (prescription, herbs, vitamins, etc.) at the time? How long had you been ttc before the Clomid? Have you had any children in the past? What were your feelings before you started taking the drug?

Share your stories! I am starting my first cycle with Clomid, and hearing about other's experiences really makes a difference.

~Theresa
#2 of 24 Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 AM

I voted that I did not get pregnant using Clomid.

Quote:
In addition, feel free to elaborate: were you on any other meds (prescription, herbs, vitamins, etc.) at the time?
I was also on metformin at the time for PCOS. The combination of the 2 drugs are supposed to work well together.

Quote:
How long had you been ttc before the Clomid?
About 30 months.

Quote:
Have you had any children in the past?
Yes, a daughter.

Quote:
What were your feelings before you started taking the drug?
I felt desperate.

I'll also add that I did 2 cycles with the Clomid and stopped. Went back 8 months later to try again with the Clomid, got my script and waited for AF to come. She never did and I was getting ready to call my OB/GYN and ask for provera to induce my period. I had also made an appt with an RE because I was planning on moving on to more drastic measures if the Clomid didn't work that last time. I got a positive test 3 weeks after getting the Rx for the Clomid and a few weeks before my RE appt. Overall we had tried for 3just over 3 years to get pregnant.
#3 of 24 Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 AM

5mo the first time at 50mg, and then 4mo the 2nd time at 100mg.
HTH

Liv
#4 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM

I did 4 Clomid cycles, and this would be my 4th cycle w/o clomid. Thus far, 0 pregnancies. I'm 42, still ovulate on my own, and am ttc with donor sperm. I use the OPK's and one would think that a pregnancy should be forthcoming. I hope it happens for me...and for the rest of you, too!

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#5 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 05:19 AM

I took Clomid off and on for a few years and never had a positive ovulation test. They started me on a low dose and then kept increasing it. Later I learned that I ended up taking, in total, more than twice the lifetime limit of the drug.

It was given to me by my OB/GYN who, while really good on the OB side, had no clue about fertility. When it didn't work, he eventually referred me to the fertility clinic, where we tried IUI which didn't work and IVF which took three rounds to work.

Clomid was nasty. I was very hopeful when using it at first, but as it continued to do nothing other than make me sick, I lost hope with it. I read about lots of women for whom it had worked, but for me it was just icky the whole time with no success.

I hope it works better for you. It has worked for lots of women.

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

#6 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 09:06 AM

I forgot to add that I took the clomid challenge test after doing a few rounds of clomid, and failed (FSH on day 10 was much higher than it was on day 3), and yet they kept giving me clomid. I found that kind of odd....I thought that the CCT was to determine whether or not you would respond well to clomid, and since I didn't respond well, I thought that meant that it didn't work for me. (I never did ask about this specifically, since it dawned on me after I took it for a few more months and then decided on my own to give it up.)

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#7 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 AM

I was on clomid and prometrium, and it took 3 cycles with the clomid to conceive...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#8 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 AM

I'm taking my first clomid cycle this month, too. Actually, I'm now in the 2ww. I've had pretty minimal side effects- though I have had some dizziness- not serious though. I'm also doing a lot of diet changes from the book the Infertility cure (have been doing those for about 3 months).

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#9 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM

first month for me starts... today or tomorrow, so this weekend we'll see what the clomid does to me -- all i hope, is that it works & I don't have huge side-effects.
i'll be on 50mg (is that what it's measured in?), CD3-7.
#10 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM

I never got pregnant using Clomid. I did 3 rounds before Baby#5. I got pregnant the month after I finished the Clomid. And I had about 6 rounds of Clomid a couple years after Baby#7. It has been several months since I last took Clomid. My body doesn't react well to it.
#11 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

We started ttc on our honeymoon. After 6 months of charting, my dr tested my prolacin and it was high, was on Parlodel for a year, started Clomid, took it for 6 months, scheduled our first IUI and found out we were pg before we had it done. DS#1, 2 years of trying. No birth control after.

A year and a half later, no luck with #2, back on Clomid, 5th month of it got pg with DS#2. Have never used any birth control since being married and currently dont. My ds#1 is 5 and DS#2 is 2 1/2.
#12 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did two months of 100mg, and I'm not doing it again. I didn't get pregnant and the side effects for me were just horrible. I ended up having visual issues the second cycle and that was rather scary. So now I am happily moving on to Follistim, which is what I wanted to begin with.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#13 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 AM

I used Clomid once and ended up with my twins

50mg days 3-7.

Starting period day 1 I took vitamin c, vitamin e. baby asprin, and drank green tea daily.

DF also started the vitamin C and E regim at the same time as me (its good for swimmers..lol)

I drank extra water starting the last day of Clomid to help with cervical fluid
#14 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 04:37 AM

I used clomid for 7 months when I was ttc my first baby. I started at 50 mg and ended up at 250 mg. It never worked for me. I did end up with tumors up and down my legs and I swear it was related to clomid but of course, they shrugged me off. That was 6 years ago now though and I have two children, who I got pg with out of the blue, even though they said I wouldnt.

I was also on parlodel and took provera to get each cycle to start.

I know alot of people who it worked for though, even just 50 mg.

Desiree

#15 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 AM

I was given Clomid because my doctor felt my ovulations "weren't strong enough". I took 50 mg for two months. I got a bfp the 2nd month. During the same time, I was also doing acupuncture once a week for an hour. I didn't have any side effects from Clomid but then again I was on it only for two cycles so I can't really speak to what the long-term effects are.

Good luck!

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#16 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1st child- first try with 50 mg clomid/iui
2nd child-first try with 50 mg clomid/iui
3rd child (not yet conceived)- 3 clomid/iui attempts, 3 inject/iui attempts, 2 ivf attempts

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#17 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 PM

OK- I got a BFP this month! My first cycle of clomid- days 5-9, 50 mg. I was also doing the Infertilty Cure diet recommendations and self accupressure.

#18 of 24 Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Hey, Congrats, Laura!! What wonderful news!!

I had four months of Clomid that didn't work for me, but I haven't weighed in on this poll because we think it failed for other reasons - dh has very poor morphology and failed the hamster egg test, so short of ICSI, nothing has worked so far...

Best of luck, Theresa! I have heard lots of Clomid success stories, and I hope you add to the list!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#19 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 04:01 PM

Thanks Dena! How are you doing?

#20 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 04:42 PM

We conceived on our third round of Clomid with DS #1. I was taking 100mg on CDs 3-7. We had been trying for over a year and I had never ovulated.

To conceive DS #2, we tried for 14 months and had done one cycle of Clomid, but then could no longer afford it. We were having to pay out of pocket. I ended up conceiving naturally after having to have emergency surgery (of the female varierty) the month before...perhaps it kicked my system into gear???

Just wanted to send lots of hugs and encouragement to all the Clomid mamas!!! I know this can be such a trying time. Please know that I continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
#21 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 04:50 PM

I have one data point of good news to contribute. I conceived my first month on Clomid, 50 mg. We had no previous children, had been trying for two years, and had no obvious cause of infertility -- DH's sperm counts were low, but not catastrophically so. I didn't really want to try Clomid, because I knew I was ovulating so I couldn't see what the benefit might be. But I was getting desperate and depressed, so it seemed worth a try.

I was taking baby aspirin, nothing else. I had had an HSG the month before -- the results showed the tubes were clear, but I know that women are more likely to concieve the first few months after an HSG so thought I'd mention that. Once I got a positive, my RE put me on rather messy progesterone suppositories -- he said that was standard for all his infertility patients, just a little insurance for the first few weeks.
#22 of 24 Old 10-14-2006, 12:18 PM

I didn't get PG with clomid after 6mo of use. it just caused painful ovuation and hotflashes. It took 16mo to conceive ds and after all the temping, clomid and finally seeing a RE, it only took a HSG and I got PG that month.

Good luck, it does work for some people. I am currently trying for #2 and hoping it won't be such a struggle this time.

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#23 of 24 Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 AM

hi i am new here i had one lot of clomid and got preg the first time my little girl who is now 6 has downs and i suffer with blood clots and take warfrine but i am trying to still have more babies the doctor said no but i want 2 more babies thanks for reading and replying
#24 of 24 Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 PM

I voted for other. I had to take Clomid and Repronex together. I took Clomid for a year (on and off- probably 8 months total) and it didn't work on it's own.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page