Got the results of my progesterone blood test. I have questions. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-08-2003, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I finally got the results of a progesterone blood draw I had done on day 21 of my cycle. The Nurse said it was 4.5, too low. I told her it was only 2 days after O, so maybe I should come in and do the test again between 7-10 days after O. I have heard that is when it should be done. She said it will not be necessary and that my doctor wants to up my clomid dose to 100mg instead of 50mg.
Now it is my understanding that the clomid was used to make me O because I was not O'ing. Well, I O'd. Thus the clomid did its job.

~What effect does clomid have on your progesterone levels? ~How will uping the dose, raise my progest level?
~What is a good progesterone level?

This just sounds like Bulls#!$#. If anything you would think they would have wanted me to try some progesterone cream or something. I just don't understand why they won't test again. And why when I told the nurse I had only O'd 2 days before the test, she asked me if I started my period yet. Hello!!!

I think everything is fine. I had a thermal shift, and temps are at least .3 degrees above the cover line. They were higher than that but dropped down today. Implantation dip?
I really hope I am pregnant, that will show um.
Gotta speed that search for another doctor.
Can you tell I've had a bad day, thanks for listening to me go on.
If you can answer any of my questions,TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 04-08-2003, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any advice, but the nurse sounds like a real
b!tch. It sounds like she totally ignored what you were saying. I would try to talk directly to the dr (I know, usually a fantasy) and see what he says. I'm pretty sure day 21 is chosen based on the standard 28day cycle, which you don't seem to have. Sorry you seem to have ended up with more questions than answers.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 22 Old 04-09-2003, 07:38 PM

Poking my nose in.

As an old infertile chick and one who has progesterone problems, let me offer you some unsolicited advice.

First the progesterone. Creams do nothing for you. When I see people buying progesterone creams at the health food store I want to and thwack them on the head. You would have to bathe in a 40 gallon drum of progesterone cream to actually raise your progesterone enough to maintain a pregnancy. Using them is for your mind and for hope, but that is about it. You will have women swear by it but the truth and science of it is that its not going to bring your levels high enough to extend the luteal phase of your cycle so that a pregnancy can be achieved or maintained.

Clomid is in essence kicking your ovaries into gear, which can have an effect on raising your progesterone levels to lengthen the luteal phase of your cycle.

Ten is the minimum to maintain a pregnancy but most doctors like to see a 15-20. I believe a 7 after ovulation is the norm, I would have to check my notes, I am a little fuzzy on that.
In my last pregnancy I had a 19 on day 14 after ovulation and it dropped to 16 48 hours later, I started progesterone suppositories to help maintain the pregnancy (no basis thus far that says this works but I Did it anyway and didnt miscarry) and it dropped to 14 two days later and went to a 12 two days after that. I was sure I would miscarry. I would have eaten those suppositories to avoid another miscarriage due to falling progesterone levels. Mine finally went up to a 22 at 28 days past ovulation. I begged on an US that day to look for fetal hear tones.

I do know people who have had progesterone levels at 4 and 6 starting out and had healthy babies, both took progestorone supplement however.

Goodluck, and happy baby dancing!
#4 of 22 Old 04-10-2003, 04:55 PM

Another infertility chick here with progesterone problems! I'm on the other side, though, I totally believe in progesterone suppositories (NOT the cream!). I've had 3 pregnancies, 2 miscarriages, 1 wonderful dd and used progesterone suppositories for 1 of my pregnancies - guess which one?!!

I don't like the sound of upping the clomid because of your progesterone results. I would get a second opinion or at least get a straight answer from your dr :

Good luck
#5 of 22 Old 04-10-2003, 05:18 PM

I have to disagree with progesterone creams not working. I have two children to prove they do. I use no birth control as I just dont get preggo or stay that way( one m/c to prove that) unless I take progesterone cream from a health food store. There are only two creams that I would use though as alot of those creams are useless IMO.

A Dr. I was going to at the time suggested I try the cream before going to a fertility Dr. She went on so say she has had a number of her patients become preggo with the use of cream. I had the honor of calling and canciling my appoinment with the fertility clinic, but because of that I never have been diagnosed with a problem. I assume it must be low progesterone.
#6 of 22 Old 04-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Honestly if they are so misinformed as to have you come in on an arbitrary cd21 instead of 7dpo I would switch drs. The test you had was useless as they didn't time it correctly. Don't even worry about the number that test gave.

I'm sorry that they wasted your time like that, I would be totally annoyed too. ((HUGS))

Have you been to a reproductive endocrinologist, they are the gold standard of fertility care and you won't get mistimed tests done.

good luck.

#7 of 22 Old 04-10-2003, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MilkfaceMama
Another infertility chick here with progesterone problems! I'm on the other side, though, I totally believe in progesterone suppositories (NOT the cream!). I've had 3 pregnancies, 2 miscarriages, 1 wonderful dd and used progesterone suppositories for 1 of my pregnancies - guess which one?!!

I don't like the sound of upping the clomid because of your progesterone results. I would get a second opinion or at least get a straight answer from your dr :

Good luck
I had lost multiple pregnancies after my daughter due to progesterone problems, I caught my last pregnancy at 10days post ovulation, had my appointment on day 14 after O and immediately told the doctor about my charts and the low progesterone. I swear by those suppositories. LOL and would gladly do them again even though it was kinda nasty!
#8 of 22 Old 04-10-2003, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by momto l&a
I have to disagree with progesterone creams not working. I have two children to prove they do. I use no birth control as I just dont get preggo or stay that way( one m/c to prove that) unless I take progesterone cream from a health food store. There are only two creams that I would use though as alot of those creams are useless IMO.

A Dr. I was going to at the time suggested I try the cream before going to a fertility Dr. She went on so say she has had a number of her patients become preggo with the use of cream. I had the honor of calling and canciling my appoinment with the fertility clinic, but because of that I never have been diagnosed with a problem. I assume it must be low progesterone.
There have been studies that indicate that the body does not absorb the needed amount of progesterone from the creams to sustain a pregnancy. Many women use the creams thinking that they work, when in fact the problem was somewhere else. I have looked at various creams from all kinds of sources and there is not enough progesterone in the whole container for one daily oral dosage or one suppository. I cant believe a DR would suggest the use of such a thing, most midwives and doctors think they are a joke. If you believe the cream worked for you, that is great, believing it helped might have had something to do with your faith and consciences to sustain a pregnancy. I strongly believe in mind over matter, but for those lurking here or reading, they should not trust nor rely on these creams to up their progesterone for pregnancy achievement or maintance.
#9 of 22 Old 04-11-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding and giving some good support and advice.

I plan on sticking with the dose of clomid that I took before, and at this point I'm not worrying about the test results. Like Arduinna said, the test was miss timed so I can't have any faith that the resuts are accurate. If I am not pregnant, next cycle I will get the test done at the right time and then I will have more info. If it is low then, I would like to do progesterone suppositories.

Yes I am tring to find another doctor and would love to go to an RE, just have to see if there is one that takes my insurance.
This OB-Gyn was intended just to be used for GYN stuff, but I started not ovulating.
I'm just really happy I ovulated and my chart looks normal for me.
Thanks again y'all.
#10 of 22 Old 04-11-2003, 02:42 PM

Jodie,
I would be happy to help you with your charting and even help you if I can. Just let me know!

Kim
#11 of 22 Old 04-12-2003, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my chart if you would like to take a look.
Jodie's chart
#12 of 22 Old 04-12-2003, 01:19 PM

Hi Jodie,

Your chart really looks good and you looked like you baby danced at all the right times. Your luteal phase is long enough as of yesterday and I particularly like that little dip there which sometimes indicates implantation. How long after O do you usually start your period? Is this your first, second, etc cycle on clomid?

Being nosey,
#13 of 22 Old 04-13-2003, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kim,
This is my first cycle on clomid, and I usually get AF @14dpo giving me a 13day lutal phase! I like that little dip too.
Thanks for looking at my chart, it helps for someone else to see it and say, looks good to me. KWIM?
#14 of 22 Old 04-13-2003, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NotAMamaYet
Hi Kim,
This is my first cycle on clomid, and I usually get AF @14dpo giving me a 13day lutal phase! I like that little dip too.
Thanks for looking at my chart, it helps for someone else to see it and say, looks good to me. KWIM?
Yes I KWUM!
I really hope you get 18 high temps! When will you test, like that little rise you got going on there!

Kim
#15 of 22 Old 04-13-2003, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I plan on testing Sat. the 19th, that will be 18 days of high temps.
This next week should be fun.:
Where are you in your cycle, will you be testing soon?
Just nosey.
#16 of 22 Old 04-13-2003, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I plan on testing Sat. the 19th, that will be 18 days of high temps.
This next week should be fun.:
Where are you in your cycle, will you be testing soon?
Just nosey.

O, I am not trying. Probably wait until Jack is 2 and more sure where my husband will be job wise.
#17 of 22 Old 04-16-2003, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Kim,
Since you seem to have graduated from TTC 3 times, I appreciate your help and encouragement.
Well, I'm at 15 dpo no sign of AF and temp went a bit higher today!! I really think I could be pregnant. Still waiting to test, don't want a negative and then have to buy another test and test later.
Seems by looking at my temps that my progesterone is fine, or can you not really tell by looking at temps?
#18 of 22 Old 04-16-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Kim,
Since you seem to have graduated from TTC 3 times, I appreciate your help and encouragement.
Well, I'm at 15 dpo no sign of AF and temp went a bit higher today!! I really think I could be pregnant. Still waiting to test, don't want a negative and then have to buy another test and test later.
Seems by looking at my temps that my progesterone is fine, or can you not really tell by looking at temps?

FYI, one of my children is adopted.

Yes you can tell by looking at your temps. Your chart looks great. IS this the longest luteal phase you have had? *I* would probably test.
#19 of 22 Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 AM

Hey everybody--I am on my first cycle of clomid, and I believe that I O'd due to my saliva ferning ( I never get results from the LH sticks!).

I am working with my regular OBG for a couple cycles before going to the RE, so I feel that I really need to know my shit so I can advocate for my treatment this cycle.

I am going for progesterone test on cd21 this Thursday. What do I need to look for to make sure that I get the progresterone suppositories if I need them?

Thanks so much for everyone's sharing of themselves and their information!!

Adrienne (no babies yet, one stepdaughter age 7)
#20 of 22 Old 09-12-2003, 02:12 PM
RJK

We're taking regular progesterone in order to get pregnant, but
we've also heard that if not taken at exactly the right time,
progesterone acts as a contraceptive. Does anybody know about
this--progesterone acting to BLOCK pregnancy, not enhance it?
#21 of 22 Old 09-13-2003, 09:26 PM

RJK- I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but yes if you take progesterone before ovulation occurs, it will muck things up. My dr's office won't even prescribe the progesterone until after ovulation is confirmed by u/s.
#22 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Hi this is my first time posting anything. I'm just hoping someone can help me. I miscarried on oct. 15 at 6 weeks. My doctor monitored my blood til it was less than 1. I was supposed to start AF Monday nov 18 and still haven't started. Had my levels checked today and my hcg is 2 and my progesterone is 12.3...can someone please help me? When should I get my period?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page