Clomid questions - I'm taking the plunge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2006, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all, 11DPO here, and stuck about halfway between hope and despair! Had a second day of lower temps today, which sent me into an early morning tailspin, but I've actually since then felt relatively upbeat. Heck, I'll take what I can get, moodwise, these days. I stalked a bunch of charts, so I can rationalize the possibility that I am not out of the game yet!

Shannon--glad you are feeling more yourself. I really feel like even if AF comes, I will just be relieved not to try for a month, and yes, to remember who I am when I am not working so hard TTC.

Dena--I've totally been there, re: swearing I'd never do x or y to get pregnant. Ouch. At least we can safely say we'd never sell our first borns to get pregnant!

Something that's really frustrating with people who ask about TTC is that even though they seem to be expressing "interest" they most often end up sounding impatient that it's taking you so long. Aside from wanting to smack them, it's like, duh? Really? It's taking a long time? No kidding, I hadn't really noticed . I will add that there are people who manage to be caring and interested, thank goodness. Just not that many!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm not charting this month, not poas, not taking my devil pills, and I got EWCM yesterday, cd 8! WTH? I am an early O'er when not on clomid - like day 11, but day 8? Maybe I'm just all wacky b/c there isn't any clomid confusing my tubes. I just had to comment for a moment. Anyone here go off clomid and find their cycle is all screwed up?

Otherwise all is good. Kids here are wack-o for the holiday break, teachers are exhausted. I just smile and listen to the panic attacks... Only 12.5 more work hours until I am officially free for 17 days - but who's counting?

s.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:55 PM

Cycle 1 on clomid is a bust for me. ugh. I'm really glad we're taking this cycle off.

Shannon: I'll let you know if this cycle is weird post-clomid for me.

Kristen: did you get your surge? I'm sorry about the initial follicle results.

Any news from others?

AF has been really weird for me, which I have to attribute to the clomid. I did a long post on it on the over-40 TTC thread, if anyone has ever had anything like this: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=878.

Gonna try and not worry about this for a couple weeks, but I need to make some decisions before I try clomid again.

Hope the holidays are treating people gently.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 PM

I am so sorry, PotterGrrl. :

I haven't gotten an LH surge yet. We're meeting with our "professional" on Tuesday afternoon; hopefully we'll come out of there with more answers and less questions. And some hope! I desperately need some hope!

About the AF ?, I didn't experience anything quite like that. My period has been different than normal, though. The bleeding has not been as heavy, but I chalked that up to having a 28 day cycle instead of 40 days (less time to get uber thick). I also didn't have nearly as much clotting. But I definitely had a strong flow. Have you had a chance to talk to your dr?

I am wishing everyone health and happiness, and the emotional strength to get through the holidays.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Yeah, hope would be good! I didn't surge on my own with clomid--had to trigger. I'll be interested to see what your doc says. Hope you get some better answers!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 PM

PotterGrrl, I am so sorry. I was so hoping this would be your month. Gosh, we really need some good news on this board, huh? When was our last bfp? It seems like ages. I would say we are due for a huge rash of them anytime now.

Kristen, any surge yet? Any news from your "professional?" Hoping things worked out for you this month!

I am still waiting for AF so I can get rolling on my IVF cycle. I know I O'd late this month, but still, she should have started yesterday. BFN this morning, so she is clearly just being ornery.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 12-19-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm still waiting for AF... due yesterday. I'm usually very regular, but I think the clomid has thrown things "off". I am refusing the stick this month, at least this early. If no AF by Friday I'll get one....maybe put it in my stocking and use it on Christmas day to see if maybe that helps!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Hi!
I'm going to take my second round of Clomid in two days. Last month we did 50 mg on CD 4-8 and then an IUI. I was *positive* I was pg right up until the very end and was devastated. My daughter was conceived the first go around on Clomid/IUI so I had high hopes it would work the same way again.

I've got a few things against me and a few positives - I do O on my own, although some cycles are wacky (unruptured lutenized follicle syndrome or something like that). I have a history of mild endometriosis, have scar tissue on my cervix and have bladder/urethra issues (IC) so IUI is definitely the way to go for us.

My RE thinks that this month was a bust simply because it was a bad egg. My blood work looked perfect, my follicle was a nice size, endometrial lining nice and thick, sperm plentiful and mobile. Timing was on the money. So, who knows. He said that even real fertile people only have a 1 in 3 chance of conceiving on any given month. Still...what a freakin' bummer. Grrr.

We're doing something different this month. 3 pills of Clomid on CD4, 2 on CD5, and 1 on CD6. I have never heard of this protocol but my doc says it can produce two eggs instead of one. Hmmm.

I know lots of women have icky side effects from Clomid (what do you guys call 'em...devil pills?! ) but I never have. My PMS is normally out of control and weirdly the Clomid seems to calm it down a bit. Bizarre, eh?

Anyhow, I hate this club. Wish I could just get pg on a whim like most people. But, here I am. Good luck to everyone!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2olivia View Post
I'm still waiting for AF... due yesterday. I'm usually very regular, but I think the clomid has thrown things "off". I am refusing the stick this month, at least this early. If no AF by Friday I'll get one....maybe put it in my stocking and use it on Christmas day to see if maybe that helps!

UPDATE - AF has reared her ugly puss so another BFN here

I too conceived dd 1 with clomid and IUI on the first cycle, so this 3 strikes and you're out is really starting to wear on me. We've opted to take a couple of cycle breaks during the next few months, such a frustrating experience :
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2olivia View Post
UPDATE - AF has reared her ugly puss so another BFN here

I too conceived dd 1 with clomid and IUI on the first cycle, so this 3 strikes and you're out is really starting to wear on me. We've opted to take a couple of cycle breaks during the next few months, such a frustrating experience :
Oof. That really stinks. Are the docs giving you any reason why they think the Clomid/IUIs aren't working this go around? I feel your pain, mama. It's gutwrenching getting AF, particularly after doing treatments.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz View Post
Oof. That really stinks. Are the docs giving you any reason why they think the Clomid/IUIs aren't working this go around? I feel your pain, mama. It's gutwrenching getting AF, particularly after doing treatments.

Well intially the Drs said that it would be most unlikely that we would conceive with clomid + IUI due to both myself and my dh having issues, however we surprised everyone with dd on the first try. They were already scheduling us for IVF before we even found out I was pregnant, so unfortunately I kind of anticipated a more difficult time this go around...but I didn't think after 3 tries it wouldn't work. They normally do 6 cycles of clomid before moving someone to IVF, so I'm hoping the next 3 rounds will be fruitful I'm really dreading the IVF route....but I will do whatever it takes
Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM

Well, AF reared her ugly head here this morning too. I was hoping against hope that we would have a Christmas miracle. I am feeling pretty down but I know it will pass. The chances of us conceiving on our own are pretty astronomical, so I was fairly well prepared.

Anyway, I called our clinic to report in, so it looks like we are on to IVF in January. Trying hard to get excited. I feel in my bones that we will eventually have another child if we persist with treatment, it is just the thought that we might have to go through almost as much as we did to get to dd that wears me out even before we begin. :

Sorry to be such a gloomy puss this morning. CD 1 is always hard. I just hope and pray that the IVF will work and I can put IF behind me for the rest of this lifetime. Gosh, given all the BFNs around here lately, we are certainly due for a whole crop of BFPs in January, huh?

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Dena and mom2olivia, . I'm sorry. : Hard to be filled with the Christmas spirit when we're hurting so badly, isn't it?

ericaz, Welcome, and hopefully you're stay will be short!

I had my appt last night. No surge yet, so she said all these little follies are my body's way of telling me to take a break. I'm not sure how to handle that, since I feel like time is just melting away from us. But there's nothing we can do until next cycle, whenever the heck that is (my temps are still down). Whenever the next cycle starts, or within a month, whichever comes first, they'll do another ultrasound to see if the follicles have "calmed down". If so, I guess we'll try clomid again, possibly femara. In the meantime I have a prescription for metformin, but she said I shouldn't expect results until I've been on it 6mo. She's guessing I have pcos, but I apparently don't have any of the tell-tale symptoms. Insulin is fine, I'm overweight but not like she'd expect with pcos, don't have the facial hair....they just don't know what to do with me. Also, I need to get into a strong exercise program and do the no sugars/no grains thing. UGH. Hopefully if I can get some of this weight off it'll help things. I was 50lbs lighter when we got pg with ds, but since then no matter what I do, I can't lost more than 5-10 lbs. They're doing more bloodwork to check all kinds of wierd things, so we'll see what that says.

Here's to some HAPPY NEWS in the new year! :
Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM

Oh, Kristen, how frustrating. I am hoping you get some answers soon.

I have been living (mostly) without sugar and white flour, among other things, for about six months now, and I can tell you I feel SO much better. And, I lost eight pounds totally without trying. I think both the sugar and white flour have a lot to do with keeping weight on. Are you supposed to give up ALL grains, or just some? I am not sure if I could give up all grains, as I am definitely a carb addict. Sugar is hard too, since it is in everything. I now read labels like a maniac.

Wish we lived closer so I could give you a big hug, and we could take a long walk with the dcs!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:42 PM

I agree Dena--this crew is over due for some BFPs! I send a snowstorm of babydust to all of us

And some patience and kindness to ourselves, as well.

I'm feeling pretty negative about the whole clomid thing right now, I clearly respond to it on the follicle front, but it's bad for me on the lining side. I've never had such a strange period, and then getting slammed with a nasty yeast infection has made me even crabbier! I think we're going to take a break from the meds for a while, and go with some acupuncture, and generally try to get my system back into shape.

Dena, I am so impressed that you can give up wheat and sugar. I do very little processed food, but I like my bread--a lot! So sorry about AF mom2olivia and Dena. Dena, good luck with this month's IVF cycle. And I hope all the IUI cycles are blessed by fat follicles and many swimmers.

Take care of your good selves!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 AM

Dena,

So you only gave up refined sugars and white flour? I wasn't told to give up all grains, but I've been reading a lot from Dr. Mercola's latest nutrition book as well as his website, plus some other books/sites. If I do eat any grains, I try to make sure it's whole grain bread or something like that. I cheated this afternoon and ate some shortbread cookies. Boy, did I feel AWFUL after that. You can really tell how bad it is for you once you've stopped eating it for awhile!

The hardest part is how do I do this at Christmas, when there'll be SO many home-baked goodies filled with refined sugar and white flour? And I've been making cookies all evening for relatives...so far I've been able to abstain from tasting them. I'm relying on dh to be my taster!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:29 AM

Yes, it was just white flour I gave up, not all wheat products. White flour turns to glucose immediately upon entering our bodies, so it is just as bad as eating sugar. And, I have found, after cutting it out for awhile, when I do eat it now, I get sick really fast. Whole wheat, as long as it does not have ANY white (enriched) flour in the product, is ok, but you really have to read labels carefully. Also, I gave up all sweeteners except molasses (on the advice of my acupuncturist, not sure why molasses is ok though), which is proving more of a challenge, because even bread seems to have some sweeteners in it. I was able to find some bread at Trader Joes that is sweetened with dates and raisins, and, as I can't find much about dried fruit being evil, I figured that was probably ok.

I have also given up dairy, caffeine, and alcohol (duh), as these are also damaging to our systems. Apparently most humans do not have the enzymes needed to fully digest any dairy products, and caffeine and alcohol, well, they speak for themselves.

Now, when I say I have given this stuff up, that is my ideal - but of course we all know how hard it is to live in this country and not ingest some sweeteners or white flour in the course of a day. And there is the cheat factor - a bit of cheese here, a cookie there. And I DO love coffee - that has been harder than alcohol for me to avoid! I have to say, though, that it took me probably four months or so for my brain and my body to really make the connection on how bad this stuff makes me feel, and now I can look at candy and white bread and not really want it, because all I think about is how sick I get after eating it. I do know this diet has been good for me, because I have a TON more energy, I am more alert, and, oh yeah, my IBD is under control for the first time in 24 years. I think, like anything, you get used to it in time, and it is not so hard anymore.

As for Christmas goodies, we just don't buy a lot of candy, and the word is out to relatives (read my mom) not to buy much for us (well, me mostly). If there is not a lot in the house, the temptation is so much easier to resist. If we do get a lot, I plan to send it to work with dh on the 26th. Also, I really don't like chocolate (yes, I know, collective gasp) so it is not hard at all for me to avoid that. We made about half of our cookies with whole wheat pastry flour this year, and they came out surprisingly well. I even think I like the whole wheat versions better! Of course there is still the suger in them, but at least it is not a double whammy. And I got raw, organic, free trade sugar from Costco - still not great for us, but has to be better than the bleached stuff, I figure.

Sometimes I get depressed grocery shopping when I can't have this or that, but I remind myself it is not just for fertility purposes, but for my overall health that I am eating this way, and that I should actually be thankful that infertility brought this to my attention, because I feel so much better than I have in years.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I know lots of women have icky side effects from Clomid (what do you guys call 'em...devil pills?! ) but I never have. My PMS is normally out of control and weirdly the Clomid seems to calm it down a bit. Bizarre, eh?
Um, ok. Now I see what you guys are all talking about. Last night and early this morning I had some wicked hot flashes and have had a headache since last night. I'm thinking this new protocol (3 pills then 2 then 1 rather than just 1 everyday) is doing it since I never had any side effects with 50 mg taken the normal way.
I'm also feeling totally drugged. Spacey. It's hard for me to put how I'm feeling into words. I could make a face to show how I'm feeling but that's hard to do on message boards. The face would look like a slightly less bitter Billy Idol. Yeah, you know the face. This is the closest smiley I could find to represent the face.: I think *irked* should be replaced with *Clomid*.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Um, ok. Now I see what you guys are all talking about. Last night and early this morning I had some wicked hot flashes and have had a headache since last night. I'm thinking this new protocol (3 pills then 2 then 1 rather than just 1 everyday) is doing it since I never had any side effects with 50 mg taken the normal way.
I'm also feeling totally drugged. Spacey. It's hard for me to put how I'm feeling into words. I could make a face to show how I'm feeling but that's hard to do on message boards. The face would look like a slightly less bitter Billy Idol. Yeah, you know the face. This is the closest smiley I could find to represent the face.: I think *irked* should be replaced with *Clomid*.

I get that drugged out and spacey feeling too - I hate it. :
Old 12-25-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I know it's Christmas day, but what better day to send out my hellos? My brother is rockin' the guitar hero, mom is cooking, dh is at the house doing something, and sister is always the question. So I'm taking some time to catch up.

Whistler Blackcomb was just what the doctor ordered. I have NO idea what's going on with my cycle and I don't care. We spent 5 days in a beautiful ski in/out condo with my best friend from Manhattan. We drank, ate chocolate, sat in the hot tub and skied our legs off. I feel so much better than I have in months. I'm thinking we may take January off as well, considering that I am feeling so positive.

For all you AF survivors my heart goes out to you! Holly I am so sorry this cycle didn't stick. Dena keep us in the loop with the IVF. Kristen hang in there! What a drag.

Here's blessings to all for sane, peaceful, holidays filled with joy and light! May all our intentions come through! I'll check back in a few days - we're hitting the mountain the next 2 days and then hanging out with bro from Chicago.

high light, high love and BABY DUST to all!
shannon
Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM

i'm taking the plunge.....my doc called in my prescriptions we are going to induce a period with something can't remember what off the top of my head, then clomid. and i'm already on metformin. here's hoping!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 PM

I went for my u/s today and everything looked good - 24 mm follicle and perfect lining. They took blood and left a message on my cell while I was at the movies with my daughter (we saw Charlotte's Web - and I cried my eyes out at the end...thanks, Clomid) that we're supposed to come in on Sunday morning for the IUI.
How do they know it's Sunday and not tomorrow that's the ideal time for an IUI?
Must. Not. Freak. Out. And. Drive. Myself. Crazy. By. Obsessing.:

I just talked to my neighbor who's due in March with her first. It took them two years to conceive and we've talked extensively about both of our plights to get pregnant. I told her that this was the first month I had side effects with the Clomid and that the RE said today that if the side effects were too much for me this month we could consider the injectibles...at almost $1000 a pop! My neighbor told me I can have her leftovers that she kept in her fridge if I need 'em!
I really really hope I don't have to go that route.

Oh...here's something neat - Sunday is the 31st and I was inseminated on Jan 3 of 2003 when I got pg with Isadora. Pretty close, eh?

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else close to O?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 PM

I am in the same boat as some of you. I am 36 years (and counting) and we have recently gone to a RE in our area (Missouri). He first wanted to test my progesterone and it came back a 1.4! That's right...1.4! Of course it was the day AF came so it is expected to be low. Isnt that even lower than normal? I am in process of testing my ovulation reserve and am worried to death that is the problem. My mom went through menopause in her late 40's. I started Clomid this morning and was expecting to have a lot of side effects, but I actually felt really good. I had more energy than normal.

After reading some of your stories I see that the worst may be yet to come with my Clomid experience. I am only on 50 mg. The waiting is the worst! I read that a sign of problems with ovulation reserve is a short follicular phase. Is that true? My follicular phase doesn't seem to be the problem. My luteal phase is only 10 days long. Any thought?

I see this site hasn't been used in some time. Anybody in our shoes?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 PM

For me yes it did make me cranky but basically I let everyone know that it's hormones. My husband would have divorced me if he didn't know the reason I was acting that way is because of the meds. Also for me, around the time of ovulation I would feel like I was carrying bowling balls in my uterus. If this happens don't freak out. Don't test too early because you can get what they call a clomid line. good luck
Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the info Klockdj. Boy you ae right about the bowling ball! I have had moderate pain just on one side of my abdomen. Did you have that as well? I am now waiting it out to see if AF comes along. Did you continue to have Clomid side effects adter ovulation?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM

...I'm on my first cycle with Clomid. We've never done any fertility treatments so this is our first time with it all. I'm a little concerned because I've been reading the posts on this thread and other threads regarding Clomid, and I must say that other than a constant headache and feeling like I have to pee more frequently, I haven't noticed any real changes.

No hot flashes, mood swings, pain, nausea, dizziness, etc.

Does this mean it's not working? I'm on day 7 of my cycle, and day 3 of clomid (they wanted me to take it days 5-9). DH has an analyses scheduled for Friday, and the follicle screening is next Tuesday.

Has anyone had clomid work for them and NOT feel the symptoms like most are feeling??

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM

GreenFlower

I used clomid (100 mg) to conceive my dd and I don't remember having any of the symptoms above and it was successful in creating follicles. However, I did still need the HCG trigger shot in order to ovulate. Just remember that every woman is different as far as their reactions to medication.

Good luck!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
GreenFlower

I used clomid (100 mg) to conceive my dd and I don't remember having any of the symptoms above and it was successful in creating follicles. However, I did still need the HCG trigger shot in order to ovulate. Just remember that every woman is different as far as their reactions to medication.

Good luck!
thanks! I'm on 50 mg right now. Tomorrow's my last day on it. My headache finally died down a bit. It's still there, but not like it's been the last few days. I am getting the HCG shot...this coming Tuesday, pending everything looks good when they do the follicle screening.

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)

User Tag List