HSG...painful anyone else??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh my stars--this was so painful for me. It hurt as soon as they put in the catheter. The pain went all the way up to my collarbones. They made me rub the dye around and tilt on my side. I knew it wouldn't take long, so that was the only thing that got me through it. I was shocked. I normally have a high pain tolerance, so I wasn't expecting to be in pain at all. 

#32 of 34 Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had mine done fall of 2013. I was alone with the tech and doc in the room, but I wish I would have brought my hubby. I did take a few Ibuprofen beforehand, and boy am I glad I did. From reading the previous posts, my experience wasn't as traumatizing as some have expressed. I did cry though, and I'm really not a big cryer and I try to be tough to pain. The balloon being expanded was by far the most painful part. It felt like my insides were tearing. The dye being released was more like a sharp pain at first, and then dullness afterwards. It was over within 15 minutes, and I was able to go to my college classes afterwards totally fine. I experienced some discomfort for the next day or so.

My tubes are clear, but I do have masses and polyps in my uterus. They almost did a D&C, but I declined. I had enough for one day. 

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
#33 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Holy hell that was the most painful thing that I have experienced in my life. I was screaming in pain. The dye went through ok on my left tube which has some sort of damage from a previous ectopic pregnancy. My right side however was blocked which was a surprise and it took quite a while to break through whatever caused the blockage. It was like out of body pain where it seems like a dream when I look back on it, and it only just happened this morning. I almost threw up and passed out. My poor husband got woozy from seeing me in so much pain and almost passed out too. Once it cleared the tube the pain subsided almost immediately. I have a decent pain threshold so I was surprised at how badly it hurt. I took ibuprofen before the procedure but that's a joke with this type of pain. It felt nothing like period cramps when it kicked in. I was screaming out loud at the Dr. to stop....seriously crazy and I'm sure I will have nightmares about it tonight. Glad it's un-blocked but geesh...didn't expect that at all. 

#34 of 34 Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a HSG today and my doctor was very honest and said "it's not painful but it is very uncomfortable...if you feel any pain at all, tell me and I'll stop".  She and the nurse were fantastic.

Most of the procedure felt the same as having a pap smear.  When the dye was injected, I felt an overwhelming pressure that literally took my breathe away - but it only lasted 15 seconds or so, then it was over.  I didn't feel any cramping during the procedure nor afterwards.  I didn't have any blockages.  

The nurse believed that if you have menstrual cramping you're more likely to experience cramping after this procedure.

So for me - it was mildly uncomfortable but over and done with very quickly.  I did take some ibuprofen before and after.  

Good luck ladies!!!

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page