At home AI with donor sperm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
I have a million questions about this, and a call into our fertility clinic, but I thought maybe you women might know something about this. We have, to our knowledge, only male factor problems, and we are moving to a remote area without ay sort of fertility help available. (nearest is a 15 hour drive away!) We would like to explore simply having donor sperm shipped to us and doing at home insems. I'm sure I've heard of people doing this, but how? Do you just contact the sperm bank and away you go? We're in Canada, and would rather not get arrested for this, so any ideas about the legalities?
Thanks.
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

#2 of 26 Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I just wanted to say it is very possible. I have a 4 year old son who is proof. As far as sperm banks, you do not have as many choices in Canada. There are a few US banks that have Canadian vials offered. I would do a search on Google. You will need to get signed up with the bank, some charge a registration fee and some don't. You will need a signature from a doctor that basically says your doc knows you and you are informed and are going to use the sperm to ttc and not do some whacky cloning experiment in an underground lab. lol It is just a signature. I even had a Nurse Midwife sign mine once with no probs. Then you simply pick a donor. Many banks offer photo matching if you want to try and find a donor with similar features to your partner.
As for inseminating, you need to know your cycle and then you simply use a small syringe to place the sperm near or n the cervix. I personally use a speculum so I can get it inside the cervix but either is fine. It is important not to have anything else, husband, or you, inside your vagina after because it will disturb the semen. A vial contains 1ml of semen, it is not like when a man ejaculates, it is a very small concentrated amount, so just place it in and then get your hips in the air. I would also suggest having an orgasm after, but only from clitoral stimulation, again so as not to disturb the semen. The orgasm will help pull the semen up into the cervix and then into the uterus.
I usually keep my hips up for 30-60 minutes and then it's done. I persoally used one vial when having my son but many use two vials per cycle or even three.

Good luck.

Bleu
#3 of 26 Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 AM

DH and I tried the at home method a few times before moving up to IUI's at the dr's office. We ordered sperm through Fairfax Cryobank and had it delivered to our dr's office. Dh would go and pick up the tank and bring it home. We used the Instead menstrual cups to get the sperm as close to the cervix as possible. While it didn't work for us, I know if can work for people. I'd suggest really knowing your cycle and/or planning on doing several inseminations around ovulation to increase your chances.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#4 of 26 Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 PM

I don't know about the legalities, but I know lots of folks in the surrogacy world do this. Another suggestion I've seen it to put the sample into an 'instead' menstrual cup and insert that!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#5 of 26 Old 12-22-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

This can all be quite complicated, really. Whew. It's good to know that people do do this though. The banks that ship to Canada are limited, I think there are only three. But, we've found a few donors we like, so that's a good start. We've recently moved waaaaay north and quite remote, and the details are a little more complicated now. Much as I hate the idea, i think this may be on hold for a bit. Maybe at least until I find someone here who is comfortable with a speculum and catheter. I have recently developed hostile cervical mucous (figures!) and am attacking it with epo, but I think our odds would be increased if we did an at home IUI. I would do it on myself if I could manage the spec on myself, but, alas, that skill is somewhat beyond me. I could talk someone through it, but not dh. He would faint. Or vomit. If I could even get him to try it in the first place. Oh dear. I'd still love to talk to a Canadian who has done this, even more so if they're done this in either Ontario of the Northwest Territories.
Merry Christmas!
Katia

#6 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM

i'm a surrogate that is going to do home insems. But i thought I would let you in on a great web site that has info on home insems. Also it is really inportant my doctor told me to never put it in the cervex just on the outside because when they do IUI they wash the sperm to make it just sperm ther putting in not the mucus

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=1332450
#7 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Katia, if you have any lay midwives in your area, talk with them. They might be able to do your IUI for you.

Good luck!
#8 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Frog that is a really good suggestion they will know what steps she needs to take too.
#9 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM

As far as where the sperm is placed. Unwashed sperm can be placed outside the cervix which is IVI or intravaginal insemination, or inside the cervix which is ICI or intracervical insemination. Both are done often with no problems.
IUI is the one done with washed sperm, it is because unwashed will cause very bad cramping, and the uterus does not hold much. When it is done the natural way (ie a male female sex thing) the sperm swim up away from the semen or seminal fluid into the uterus.
ICI is very common, not hard, and what I and many of my friends have done.
I just became pregnant again this way.
It was my late x-mas present.
#10 of 26 Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on the pregnancy bleu!
It's funny that I should read this thread again this morning, because in those strange moments before you're entirely awake today, I was just thinking about the fact that IUIs used washed sprem and that there wouldn't be enough room in the womb for the sperm plus fluid. I think my half awake brain decided to go with a cath through the cervix to the point of mild cramping followed by the rest of the semen deposited at the cervix. No idea if this would work.
I'm a midwifery student, and, as such do have the opportunity to talk about this stuff with bona fide midwives, but it is my understanding that it is illegal for a midwife to do IUI here if the sperm comes from a bank. Sperm from a bank would be the only way to get washed sperm. We actually discussed this a fair bit over the summer as one of the midwives I was working with has a female partner and they would like to have children, but unless they use a known donor and do the at-home thing, they will have to go through a bank and a clinic and are not allowed to do it themselves. Crazy. And complicated, and yet, so simple, sperm meets egg, and tada! I think the part of infertility that makes me the most angry is that making a baby is supposed to be easy and fun, and half the time, totally unconscious. But, enter infertility, and all of a sudden, making a baby is full of laws and meds and timing and outside people and machines, and so, so much consciousness. I do see a lot of value in a child created very consciously, but I really resent all the other implications.
Bleurae - when you did the ICI, what sort of volume did you inject? Did you just deal with cramping? I'm assuming you screened your donor and then just didn't worry about infections, etc? Did you take abx? Curious about that one cause they are so adamant about abx with an HSG, which is really the same concept. Who did it for you? Did you swab the cervix first, or just go to town? More than once in a cycle?
Surromommy - thanks for the link, I'll get on there.

Happy new year all!
Katia

#11 of 26 Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 PM

OK to be clear again. ICI is not IUI in any way, not even close. So when you do ICI you have more than enough room for the 1ml vial of frozen or about 1-2 ml of fresh. I use a 1ml syringe because the tip fits into an open Os(cervical opening) very nicely. There is no cramping at all, no bleeding nothing.

I do not use a catherter, just a syringe.

As far as donor, I get mine from a sperm bank, it is pre-screened for way more than I ever would know if I was married to a male. If I was using fresh sperm then I would hope I knew the donor well and was either married or in a relationship with him, or we had a donor relationship with a contract signed and a clean bill of health.

The syringe I use is a new sterile one each time. I do not let it touch anything until it is inside. The inside of the cervix gets vaginal secretions flowing in and out of it a bit when it is open, it is not the same as inside the uterus which is very susecptible to introduced germs. I make sure I simply draw the semen, and place it in the cervix and don't lay it down or mess around with the tip. It really isn't coimplicated.

I hope this clears some things up.

Good luck.
#12 of 26 Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I get it - you used sperm bank, washed sperm for your ICI, not straight from the source, as it were, semen. Gotcha. For some reason, lately, I have been quite fixated on a specific friend as our donor, and have been thinking more along those lines. It seems simpler than the bank sperm, just because of the shipping thing with no clinic up here, nor any providers who are willing to do the deed. It's all in dream land, really, as I know using a known donor would actually be more complicated in the long run. I think I'm mostly fixated on it because this guy looks remarkably like my dh, and it brilliant, funny, talented in many ways, has a healthy, active and intelligent family, and, though he and dh do not share a cultural heritage, he and I do. I feel we could easily respect both the genetic and "other" roots with this donor. However, then comes in all the complicated stuff that comes with human relationships, and I think it would just be better for both our little family and the potential donor for no donation to occur. Whew.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Katia

#13 of 26 Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 PM

NONONONONONONONONO
NO
NO

I use sperm bank UNWASHED sperm, as I stated.
If using fresh you can still do ICI, just not IUI.
I do not use washed sperm, I use unwashed.
#14 of 26 Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Bleu! I just saw this as I was reading along...Congrats!
Sorry to barge in on the op, but I know her IRL so I had to chime in.

Great news! Sorry I have been so out of touch lately, I'll call you.
#15 of 26 Old 01-06-2007, 12:16 AM

Aww thanks Lousli!!!

How are you? well call me so we can catch up since here isn't the same.
#16 of 26 Old 01-06-2007, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Holy complication! Sorry, I seem to be thick as a post today.
Anyway, thanks for the info. And congrats again.
Katia

#17 of 26 Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 AM

I used frozen ICI donor sperm from a bank to conceive my 7 month old dd and it was really simple. The best thing I think would be for you to pay for the fertility friend membership to get access to there msg boards and check out the TTC via donor sperm boards where there will be a lot of others TTC with donor sperm and many from Canada I would really recommend you chart for several months first. I did 2 cycles and got prego both times but thats not the norm. Getting the book The Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy & Birth by Stephanie Brill is a good place to start too. Its kinda the TTC bible using donor sperm

Bleu: Congrats on getting prego!

Seriously?
#18 of 26 Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 AM

I have used frozen donor sperm to get pregnant for a surrogacy. We did IUI and got the IUI sperm. ONce you start looking at sperm banks online, you will notice that they mark it ICI or IUI samples.

If there is a donor you love but only sold in ICI form and you want to do IUI, you can just have it washed locally once it arrives in your town. Most towns will have an OB who has a machine for washing sperm, Even lowly little Fairbanks Alaska has one.

Also, if you want to do home insems you can use either ICI or IUI sperm. ICI is just regular sperm and semen that has been frozen. IUI samples are washed and only contain the sperm so the samples will be much much smaller and they wont have the protective semen but it can be done.

I have also done at home insems with fresh sperm from a donor. Of course the donor had multiple STD HIV etc. testing done before we moved ahead.

After the donor produced the sample, I drew it up in a child's oral syringe and injected that in my vagina, as far back as I could get it. Then I just laid with my hips propped up for 30 minutes. When we did home insems, I did them for the 2 days before my Ovulation, the day of and the day after.

When doing this it is extremely important you know your cycle and when you ovulate. The egg only lasts for 12 - 24 hours. So it is imperative to have the sperm there before the egg is released.

Good Luck
#19 of 26 Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 AM

LOL, no worries, good luck!
#20 of 26 Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
This can all be quite complicated, really. Whew. It's good to know that people do do this though. The banks that ship to Canada are limited, I think there are only three. But, we've found a few donors we like, so that's a good start. We've recently moved waaaaay north and quite remote, and the details are a little more complicated now. Much as I hate the idea, i think this may be on hold for a bit. Maybe at least until I find someone here who is comfortable with a speculum and catheter. I have recently developed hostile cervical mucous (figures!) and am attacking it with epo, but I think our odds would be increased if we did an at home IUI. I would do it on myself if I could manage the spec on myself, but, alas, that skill is somewhat beyond me. I could talk someone through it, but not dh. He would faint. Or vomit. If I could even get him to try it in the first place. Oh dear. I'd still love to talk to a Canadian who has done this, even more so if they're done this in either Ontario of the Northwest Territories.
Merry Christmas!
Katia

Do you know which three? I'm in Toronto, and I know of Can-Am Cryo, which is Fairfax and some other American one, Xytex, which is distributed by Outreach Health Services (or something) in Canada, and Repromed, which is Toronto based. Are those the three you've found?

I'm TTC in Canada starting next month - in Toronto, so not in a remote area. I can tell you that my doctor told me that none of the banks would ship to me directly, none of them will allow me to pick up the sperm (one of them ships from a place 5 KM from my house), and that she can't legally release the sperm to me to take home.

Unofficially, I've heard rumours that some doctors will let you take it home.

Keep in mind that the tank only stays frozen for seven days, and that includes shipping, but it may be possible to get more liquid nitrogen wherever you are.

Good luck!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#21 of 26 Old 03-10-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

It's always fun when old threads pop back up -
Repromed, Can-Am and Xytex are also the three we found, FTMpapa, and I did end up writing to them all and enquiring about the shipping stuff. Same findings as you - no shipping to anyone but a Dr. Good times. I'm actually not that upset because I kind of want to be agressive with this, with stims and possibly a trigger. We'll see.
Dh seems to have had a bit of a crisis, which has put all this on hold. Plus, it turns out that neither of the two drs here who used to deal with AI still offer that service. We've moved on to OBs, and hope they might be able to help, if dh decides that he's still good to go. Ah, the NEVER-ENDING rollercoaster!!
Good luck, FTMpapa. Are you using a clinic? (we were using TCART before we moved from ON to middle of the frozen nowhere).
Katia

#22 of 26 Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Oh, whoops! I didn't notice it was that old.

I'm using a doctor, not a fertility clinic. I like her a lot and I'm a little scared (ok, a lot!) of the heteronormative fertility clinic environment.

I'm going to try three cycles, and then I'm moving to the US, so I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#23 of 26 Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Im looking for  AI FREE SPERM DONORS,   is there anything you could recommend or help me find AI SPERM DONORS?

I have had the most difficult time on facebook, and then there are some that they want to use a credit card which Im not really sure about those sites.

Any help would do for  , Thank you Jennifer

#24 of 26 Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 PM

looking for source for mailers, instructions on how to use them, and success stories

I know that this is an old thread, but the topic is one that I'm researching.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada.

I'm considering being a known sperm donor for a couple that doesn't live in the same city as I do. They do live within driving distance.

I know that people are shipping dog and horse semen and having successful AI using the mailed semen, so I figure we should be able to do this with human semen. it would be nice to save all that driving time and spend the gas money on shipping instead.

I'm looking for sources for mailing kits suitable for human semen. I suspect that the mailers used for dogs would work (they just look like little coolers), but I'd like to know that for sure before trying to use them.

I'm also looking for website URLs or books that give instructions on how to best ship the donations.

I'm also looking for success stories for people who have successfully done AI using shipped donations that were not frozen.

Advance thanks for any pointers that you can give me.

Last edited by RuralGuy; 07-25-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I didn't realize that I was including the entire original post.
#25 of 26 Old 07-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I think something like this is what you need. It's for humans. Overnight shipping can be expensive. It may be more cost-effective to meet in the middle. Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#26 of 26 Old 07-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I know of one woman who tried home AI using shipped, unfrozen semen. It didn't work.

Keep in mind that the operations model for overnight shipping involves sending all shipments to sorting facilities and then to their destinations. So if you ship FedEx from Philly to NYC, your shipment still goes via Georgia.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page