Allergic to progesterone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting hives around the injection sites of my PIO (progesterone in oil) injections. My back and buttocks are all itchy and the hives are raised and hard. . . and did I mention itchy?

At first we thought it was the sesame seed oil so they switched me to progesterone in olive oil and it was better in the sense that the pain was gone (the PI sesame seed oil caused back pain similar to back labor!) but I'm still just as itchy.

If I need to just tolerate this I will but I'm pretty concerned about anaphylaxis in the long run. If it is an allergy, I assume the more I am exposed, the worse it can get.

I am pregnant via FET and NEED this progesterone to maintain the pregnancy.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Not sure about the allergy thing, but can you switch to suppositories? My RE won't prescribe injectibles anymore because he said the research shows better absorption with the supp. over the injectibles with fewer side effects. Have you researched that at all? They have two different kinds--one made with cocoa butter (I think that's it) that is less irratating, or the one normally prescribed (the one I did) which was fine. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM

I was *allergic* to the suppositories in that they made me bleed. I had to go to a compounding pharmacy and have them make me them with a base of beeswax.
I also had problems digesting the oral prometrium.

My doc isn't convinced that progesterone is actually beneficial unless there is clear evidence of a progesterone deficiency.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM

When I did IVF in 2002, I had a severe reaction to something. My doc now thinks it was the sesame oil. I had hives all over my body - couldn't walk on my feet. I ended up in shock in the emergency room. I will be very interested to follow your problem solving. It really is serious.

Susan
Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I forgot to subscribe to my own thread and thought no one had any advice!

I am concurrently taking the vaginal suppositories but I am worried that by themselves my progesterone will be too low. I had it tested this morning and 24 hours after my last shot it was 17 (I'm 5 weeks pregnant). So basically it seems like I'm not making enough progesterone on my own to support this pregnancy.

My doctor has suggested I might be allergic to the preservative in the PIO--methyl alcohol, I think it is--and we found a compounding pharmacy in CA that is going to overnight it to me and I'll have it on Friday morning. I did take one last shot tonight, in addition to the suppositories, and then hopefully it arrives on time Fri morning and I don't react to it! I am hopeful because I don't have any problem with the suppositories.

I'll update again!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:59 AM

So sorry!
I do have to agree it must be something OTHER than the actual progesterone you are allergic to...a preservative, oil, etc....since you have progesterone in your body at all times, it just seems weird you could be allergic to it, you know?

CPST
Old 03-08-2007, 03:59 PM

What was the name of the Compounding Pharmacy in CA? I'm taking notes just in case I have another reaction. I'm pretty scared to get those horrible hives again!

Susan L.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Susan,

I think it was Abbotts Pharmacy and I think it was in. . .Berkeley? Let me go do a search for it. . .

YES I found it. They have a website. http://www.abbottscompounding.com/

I am even more worried about the next round of IVF for baby #3. . .. I hope this works!

Keri
Old 03-08-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
So sorry!
I do have to agree it must be something OTHER than the actual progesterone you are allergic to...a preservative, oil, etc....since you have progesterone in your body at all times, it just seems weird you could be allergic to it, you know?
I thought the same thing but then I searched online and found out that a progesterone allergy is a well documented phenomenon in medical literature. There are two types--there are people who every month after ovulation develop a rash and/or eczema, and it is because they are reacting to the progesterone their own bodies make, and then there are documented cases of people who are actually allergic to outside sources of progesterone (but did not react to their own post ovulation)!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update quickly to say we've confirmed I was allergic to the preservative. They mixed up a new batch with a different preservative and I have had no reaction to it!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_mama View Post
I thought the same thing but then I searched online and found out that a progesterone allergy is a well documented phenomenon in medical literature. There are two types--there are people who every month after ovulation develop a rash and/or eczema, and it is because they are reacting to the progesterone their own bodies make, and then there are documented cases of people who are actually allergic to outside sources of progesterone (but did not react to their own post ovulation)!
yep. i've had it. i've been on and off progesterone for the past 2+ years for endometriosis. had a laproscopy, then lupron, and leading up to my first period after the medicinal menopause, i developed a horribly itchy red rash over most of my body. i saw a dermatologist who insisted it was scabies. : i've had scabies before so i knew it wasn't that, and didn't do the treatment, (: thank you lord jesus, amen). anyway, that same night the rash went away within a matter of hours, and my period started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_mama View Post
Just wanted to update quickly to say we've confirmed I was allergic to the preservative. They mixed up a new batch with a different preservative and I have had no reaction to it!
if there is anyone who supsects they are allergic to progesterone, esp. after having taken progesterone supplements (natural or other), you can be tested for that allergy as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Lulu, thanks for the info about testing for a progesterone allergy. I'm going to ask my doc. about it tomorrow at my appt. I'll go the distance to prevent another case of hives.

Katies mom, thanks so much for the compounding pharmacy info. If I don't test allergic for progesterone, I think I'll order a preservative-free PIO direct from there. Although, shouldn't all our medications really be preservative-free?! I njecting ourselves with mercury, a usual preservative in medications (vaccinations), really doesn't sound like a good idea, especially while trying to get pregnant! Since you were sensitive to the preservative, it is something to keep in mind that your children might be sensitive to preservatives in vaccinations, if you chose to go that route.

Susan L.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM

hi susan,
at the very bottom of the first page of this site, there's a question and answer about autoimmune progesterone dermatitis, ivf, and allergy testing protocol. could help if you or your doctor need more info...

http://www.aaaai.org/aadmc/ate/categ...s=70&keywords=

not to scare you, but obviously, if you had a severe reaction last time, you would want to be in a very controlled environment for any type of testing as the allergy can present with anaphylaxis (you seem to know that first hand!).

you can also find more articles by doing searches for hormone-induced dermatitis, autoimmune progesterone dermatitis, hormone allergy, progesterone allergy, progesterone anaphylaxis, etc.

in my case, i've had two normal luteal phases w/o a rash, so i'm hoping it was just the one time for me... although i have read that with some women it doesn't happen with every cycle. we'll see... i really would love to tell that dermatologist what i think of his diagnosis, though.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
Katies mom, thanks so much for the compounding pharmacy info. If I don't test allergic for progesterone, I think I'll order a preservative-free PIO direct from there. Although, shouldn't all our medications really be preservative-free?! I njecting ourselves with mercury, a usual preservative in medications (vaccinations), really doesn't sound like a good idea, especially while trying to get pregnant! Since you were sensitive to the preservative, it is something to keep in mind that your children might be sensitive to preservatives in vaccinations, if you chose to go that route.

Susan L.
I thought it was going to be preservative free, but I was actually told it isn't possible to get it with a preservative free version because the progesterone will not dissolve in just oil and it can't be combined that way. They put a different preservative in, and I'll tell you, it BURNS horribly when it is injected. The pain is simply shocking at times. Ah, the price we pay. . .

User Tag List