April IVF-ers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody, I'm back!

I did IVF last spring with no luck. It took a year of tests, uterus surgeries, lots of soul-searching and heartache, and a new improved RE...and I'm doing it again.

Anybody else?

Last time I had the "usual": weeks of BCPs followed by Lupron, then Follistim and Repronex, HCG and the lovely PIO. This time I'm on a much more streamlined adventure. No BCPs. No Lupron! Today is cd3, my labs and ultrasound were good, and so I start Follistim and Repronex. They say I'll be on that for about 10 days, with Ganirelix added in at the end. And of course the HCG before retrieval.

We're doing a 5-day transfer this time, with genetic diagnosis. And this RE uses Crinone, the progesterone gel, instead of PIO.

wish me luck...
#2 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Yeah, Leslie! I will be excited to hear about it. :

I'm an occasional lurker over here and a regular on ttc 12+ months. Just gearing up for my first IUI. I will be paying attention to this thread this month in hopes of hearing great news from you!
#3 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Yay!! I have been watching for this thread!

I'm rooting for you, and I'll be keeping an eye out for some good news!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#4 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ELK & Dena! Thanks for dropping in. I used to post on tcc 12+ all the time (ok, for like 4 years). Say hi to Lesliesara and the group for me. Dena, I'm hoping some of your good luck will rub off on me.

So what is it with ART and clinic goof-ups? My last place was a joke -- ordered meds in wrong amounts, disorganized and sometimes downright mean. The new RE's office is 150% better, until last night's melt-down.

I made a special trip to the office--about a half hour round-trip--to pick up my Follistim pen. They gave me a brand-new fancy box. When dh got home, I mixed up the Repronex shot. We opened the Follistim box and.....NO PEN! It was empty! Someone had apparently taken it out. By then the office was closed.

I called, left a message. They called me back, apologized like it was nothing and told me to just come back in today, pick up a pen and start the shots today. But?! Doesn't it make a difference which day I start? Apparently not that much. What about the Repronex I already mixed? Something about putting it in the fridge for today.

Ladies, I know I'm kinda neurotic and, ok, sometimes even a bit high-strung. But I just lost it. There is just so much to do, to keep organized, to understand. Not to mention the stakes. We've been at this for 4.5 years and this is it. Second and last IVF. Is it too much to ask that everything just go smoothly?

The good news is that we had tickets to see Neko Case last night. And so we went, and listened to her astoundingly brilliant voice, and felt better.

Welcome to my IVF cycle...
#5 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Leslie Lesliesarah actually got her BFP this month! She's pregnant after all this.

I wanted to wish you good luck as well, I'm going to IUI just like ELK we can all mosey down this road together.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#6 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Oh, Leslie, I am sorry your cycle got off to a frustrating start! I don't know what it is with these clinics - some of the staff and docs seem to not realize what this process is like for us, and how we DON'T need the added stress.

My first clinic was like that - I had to call a doc once after hours, and spent like two hours trying to reach him. I think this was the only time I had ever paged the on call doc to begin with, and when he did return my call, he gave me a hard time about calling! Excuse me, but if you don't want to be called after hours, don't go into medicine!

Hopefully this was the only slip up and the rest of the cycle will be smooth and easy!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#7 of 112 Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM

just popping in to add a loving voice of support to you during this cycle, Leslie! I can't wait to celebrate your bfp!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#8 of 112 Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

celeste thanks for stopping in, hon!

Dena, I think this happened to me before, but I can't remember for sure. Did you do Repronex/gonal-f and get red spots or welts? My first one flared up big, the second is just a pink rash. I think this is normal...

First check-in is Tuesday, just ultrasound. This clinic is so different from the last; not sure when the blood draws start.

so far, so good.
#9 of 112 Old 04-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Good luck to you!!

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#10 of 112 Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Good luck with your injections Leslie. I'll be curious to hear how things go.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#11 of 112 Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM

HI Leslie I just wanted to catch up with you. Thank you BTW for your concern for me. Don't worry I have some concerns too, but thank goodness a great friend of mine just got pregnant off a down cycle from doing 2 IVF cycles. Ok so she did one and nothing, she did 2 and got pregnant and miscarried. The waiting for the next cycle she got pregnant on her off cycle. Before that she did 6 IUI's and before that she did clomid/gonal-f cycles and before that she did just clomid cycles. So I went to her and asked her about the gonal-f (she does not condone what I'm doing but wants me to be safe) and she said that SHE did clomid days 3-7 and started goanl-f on day 8-13 and the triggered on day 15. I don't want to stim for that long so I'm only going to do everyother day. So I'll stim on days 8, 10, 12 and 13, and then probably trigger on day 15. I "normally" O on day 17 but there should be so much more growth with the gonal-f that I can trigger a couple days early. We know that we could end up with 2 or 3 babies, and I'm am being monitored by my doc, so their prepared for me to get pregnant and even with more than one. And so are we. After all this we'll take what ever we can get. I don't know if your familar with my history or not. We have DD8, DD6, DS3 and March 11, 2006 I gave birth to our daughter Kamryn she was 7lbs 3ozs and 19in and she was still born. She got tangled up in the cord at full term, I even told them there was something wrong with her and they still sent me home. I went back 2 days later and told them she was dead. They checked and checked and she had passes about 2 hours earlier. Since then we've been TTC'ing, I got pregnant in Nov and miscarried in Dec. Now we are still waiting for a miracle. I always love to hear success stories tho, so I will keep up with you and your progress. I wish you the best luck ever and can't wait for your BFP.

Love~Teneal

#12 of 112 Old 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Yes, I did get little red itchy welts with the shots. My acupuncturist said sometimes it is a reaction to the metal content of the needles. Also, make sure that your skin is really dry from the alcohol swab, because alcohol pulled under the skin can cause that too.

Boy, between the welts, track marks, bruises, and leftover sticky gunk from the estrogen patches, I looked like some kind of weird-a** junkie by the end of my cycle! Well worth it though!

Can't wait to see your update on Tuesday!

#13 of 112 Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, Dena -- good point about the alcohol. I'll wait longer for it to dry. How's the PIO butt?

thanks noorjahan!!

lesliesara, you sweetie, dust me!

tenk, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's absolutely heartbreaking. I hope the IUI works! How lucky you are to have three children. I'm 38, we've been trying since I was 33, and we're still working on our first.
#14 of 112 Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 PM

I count my blessings everyday as well. I know we are blessed to have the 3 we have, and I'm sure the good lord will bless you with a child as well. Good Luck to you!
~Teneal

#15 of 112 Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie in Chicago View Post
thanks, Dena -- good point about the alcohol. I'll wait longer for it to dry. How's the PIO butt?
Well, my dh is the most amazing shot-giver ever - not one bruise or sore spot! He rocks! Plus I got to go on the once weekly time release stuff for the last three weeks, which was awesome.

#16 of 112 Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Leslie, wasn't your first u/s today? What's the happs?

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#17 of 112 Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for asking, celeste

All good news: multiple follies in both ovaries and a nice endometrium. I had only been on meds since Friday, and they seemed surprised to see so much progress, so they did bloodwork, too. The call later in the day indicated that everything looked really good, and they told me to start the Ganirelix shot last night. Ganirelix is like Lupron (which I am not taking) and keeps the follies from bursting on their own.

I go back Thursday for another u/s and labs. :

Dena, my dh is doing all of my shots, too. He's a pro. I showed the nurses my Repronex welts and they said it was perfectly normal. I'm using my thighs now, too. Who knew some belly fat and saddlebags would actually be useful?!
#18 of 112 Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Yay!! So happy that everything is going well!!

Can't wait to hear more and more good news!

#19 of 112 Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM

GREAT NEWS, Leslie!

#20 of 112 Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Hi Leslie,

Just letting you know I am cheering you on from the side lines!

I will be doing a natural cycle FET at the end of the month and am gearing up for that.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#21 of 112 Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

hi Marlee, good luck on your FET!! When you say 'natural cycle,' do you mean you won't be doing any meds, or that they're not artificially timing you with bcp/meds? I'll be curious to hear about your experience...

ok, ladies, I'm about to burst. At least it feels that way. Had to dig out the fat pants this morning. The u/s revealed a dozen eggs over 10mm!!

what if I lay a dozen eggs on Easter?!

It could happen. I'll find out more this afternoon when they call with the bloodwork results.
#22 of 112 Old 04-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie in Chicago View Post
what if I lay a dozen eggs on Easter?!

:

Easter Eggs!! I love it!

Oh, and don't expect to get out of those fat pants anytime soon. It is straight from those to mat. wear for you, missy!

#23 of 112 Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 AM

Leslie maybe when all the eggs are mature you'll start hopping Easter will always be special that way. Can't wait to hear what happens next.

Marlee good luck on your FET!

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#24 of 112 Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

...they'll be day-after-Easter eggs!

I have over a dozen, with 8 in the 15 - 20mm range. I'm lookin' for a belly wheelbarrow.

Last stims tonight, HCG tomorrow evening, retrieval on Monday. I pressed the nurse to make sure I wasn't being postponed just due to the holiday, and her response was very reassuring. Turns out other gals are doing retrievals on Sunday, so the holiday isn't an issue. My perfect timing just happens to be Monday.

Thanks for all the love, dust and well-wishes, my friends. I've been super-conscientious about being gentle and loving to me this time: lots of acupuncture, massage, good therapy, evenings in the recliner, few/no meetings scheduled at work.

And last but not least, I've been listening to Anne Lemott's latest "Grace (Eventually)" on CD. I highly recommend it. If you're (very) left-leaning, open to faith and appreciate dry humor, you'll love it.

I'm kinda rambling on here, but one more thing... Last night over dinner dh and I actually talked a bit about 'what if this really happens?'. He asked, what do these last 4.5 years mean, if/when we actually get pregnant? There has been so much heartache, disappointment, anger, stress, frustration. Does it just go away? I told him that I think it has shaped us, individually and as a couple. It is a part of our life experience, that we will carry forward. Hard lessons learned, that maybe will help us with challenges later in life. Those aren't really answers, just thoughts. What happens to infertility after pregnancy? I don't know. But I sure would like to find out.
#25 of 112 Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Leslie - What a lovely post. Your excitement is so fun to see! I am thinking of you and wishing you the very best this round. : x 1,000!

Great question too about how this experience has shaped you and what it might mean to let go of the stress and have it all in the past. I sure hope that happens to you.
#26 of 112 Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Leslie,

Great post. Here we all thought the stork was a bird It makes sense though because bunnies are so fertile and they have a strange association with eggs that I could never really figure out until now!

I call my cycle natural as I am doing no meds before o. I will do OPK tests until positive and then make the long journey to the clinic for u/s and b/w and transferring 3 days later. I will have progesterone and estrogen support. I don't know when I start that exactly. I still have to talk to my RE. I am focusing on my embroys being shipped across the country and arriving sooner than later: I am also still bf'ing my dd.

To comment on what infertility means after you are pregnant. We too were ttc 4+ years. Which I know you know what those years feel like. We felt so blessed when we were pregnant with dd. So much love, joy, gratitude and also peace. The infertility pain went away for the most part. It still would fire up when I would see circumstances that seemed to be little or no gratitude for someone elses pregnancy or baby.

It quickly became noticable for me when my periods returned and we would have sex. No pregnancy. Both my sister in laws got pregnant the first month trying and were pregnant at the same time as me with dd. They both are pregnant again (first time trying for both of them). Here I am back to the Dr.s and test praying for another. It is way less stressful as I have all the joy from my dd that I relish in.

Gotta run. Best of luck.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#27 of 112 Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Leslie,

That WAS a great post. I'm just over the moon that you're doing this cycle... it all feels so right, doesn't it?!?

Happy Easter!

#28 of 112 Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

hi gals! thanks for the notes, ELK, Marlee & Celeste

just got back from retrieval. I don't know the number yet...waiting for the doc to call. But man my belly was uncomfortable yesterday. Feeling some relief today...

Everything was easy & quick except for the IV, which was awful. Lots of digging around in the back of my right hand, no luck. Then she tried the inner-elbow vein on my left arm. Got it in, but when the flow started it hurt like heck. It wasn't positioned right, so they had to take it out. The very, very nice (and feeling terrible by this point) nurse called in the anesthesiologist. Dr. Wu to the rescue, and indeed he was my knight. Insta-presto, IV in back of left hand at first try. thank GOD. I'm going to look like a serious junkie with all these bruises, though.

Today I start the progesterone, which is a gel (Crinone). : No PIO, unless the blood test shows low levels.
#29 of 112 Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

and the magic number is...eight.

My nurse/coordinator says that's good, but honestly I'm a little surprised. I had a ton of follicles, easily 12. I didn't get any details (the doc is to call tomorrow with the fertilization report and I can ask her) but I'm guessing not every follie had an egg. It's just that last year I made 14 eggs. But that didn't result in a pregnancy, so who knows, really, what's good. This stuff is enough to drive anyone crazy!

So today I watched "The Lake House" on cable and reclined. What a totally sappy movie. I LOVED it.
#30 of 112 Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM

Eight sounds great.

Glad you had a fun, relaxing, sappy day. It is great that you're able to take care of yourself and try to stay sane in this fun, exciting, nerve-wracking month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page