Alternatives to clomid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am one of those with unexplained 2ndary infertility. I have been infertile for over 5 years now. All of my tests have come back normal, as have dh's. There just doesn't seem to be anything wrong, except we can make another baby. Couple of dr's have said to try clomid. It may or may not work obviously, but what I am nervous about is my reaction to fake hormones. I went on the pill for awhile after we were first married and hated it. I was awful. I'm pretty sure if I was on clomid, dh wouldn't want to be close enough to me to BD.
My question then is if anyone knows of an alternative. Is there something I could have missed? Is there an alternative to just trying clomid? I'm going to get some pre-seed lubricant and see if that makes any difference.
Looking forward to hearing input from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 AM

I use soy isoflavones as a clomid alternative- it seems to be working well so far!

The topic was discussed in more detail on this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...oy+isoflavones

Good Luck!
~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Old 04-21-2007, 04:42 AM

I've tried several of the prescription fertility meds, and I'd have to say that for a LOT of people clomid is the worst as far as side effects go. (I've got your diagnosis and had unexplained primaryIF, too.) If the Pill was hard for you, and you have to do fertility meds, I would recommend talking to your RE about other options (Femara or one of the injectibles) instead.

Have you tried acupuncture? It has pretty high rates of success. And is also great with unexplained IF, because the problem is obviously there despite Western medicine not being able to identify it. Maybe Eastern medicine can address it.

My RE also had me on a homocysteine formula (folic acid, b6 and b12) because in case your unexplained IF has something to do with your immune system, that vitamin combo has been shown to be effective. Same with taking 1 tablet of children's aspirin a day, although you should run that by your Dr before starting any daily aspirin.

There's a book out there I think called Fertility & Nutrition (something like that) which describes a diet for maximum fertility. The idea is you need to eat a lot of vegetables, whole grains, little to no meat (I believe fish was ok though), and cut out processed foods, and then your body has the chance to work properly and create a baby.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much. It is nice to hear from someone else with same dx.

I was going to try accupuncture, but couldn't put the funds together right then. We have Kaiser insurance (HMO) so it is difficult to get to see anyone with any fertility background. At least I'm having hard time. The last person I saw told me to use the OPK's and that should work. I'm : because I've been infertile for 5 years. Knowing when I O hasn't worked yet. Probably not going to magically work now. Grrrrr.
I will try the vitamins though. And I will try to get back into the accupuncturist. And I will work more on the diet. I do pretty well, but maybe could do even better.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
We have Kaiser insurance (HMO) so it is difficult to get to see anyone with any fertility background. At least I'm having hard time.
It took me HOURS of phone calls to even get the *right* phone number for the fertility clinic at Kaiser. Then it took MONTHS to get in to see anyone.

Ultimately, I think I wound up calling the business office and asking for the phone # for the fertility clinic. I called the advice nurse first, but kept getting the wrong number. Then when I got the clinic, they made me jump through all sorts of hoops to even get in there.

You may also be able to look up on their website if there is a name of a Reproductive Endocrinologist and try to get the phone number that way. Alternately, your OB/NP's office should be able to get you the phone number without too much hassle, since you've been TTC for 5 years. Most OB/GYNs don't have the training or the knowledge to deal with IF issues.

The FC here handles all of their own appts, you can't go through the advice nurse line, you have to call them directly, leave a message and wait for them to call you back.

I have to say though that the RE at Kaiser here is great. I never got attitude from her like I have from other offices. I saw her personally for the first/history visit, then every month I'd see her again as we were testing and trying things. Once we finally settled on trying the drugs, I don't think i saw her again, I saw PAs for the most part, and some nurses for my follow-ups, U/S and injections.

OT, but for some reason I feel like the "high risk" docs at Kaiser have much better bedside manners than the rest of them... I really liked the RE, the perinatologist, the pediatric cardiologist, and the genetic counselors I've dealt with, but have had nothing but issues with the regular OBs and PCPs.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 PM

I can't believe that advice to use OPKs after 5 years of trying. : Like you've just never had sex at the right time in all those years, that's the problem! Sorry.

I go through Kaiser and have had a great experience with a very knowledgable, experienced staff in the clinic. Unfortunately, not all Kaisers were created equal, so it's just up to luck which one you live near. I hope you are able to get an appt with an RE soon and get a plan you're comfortable with. Oh--and on the accupuncture, is there any Eastern medicine schools nearby you that teach it? They may have a student clinic where you could be seen for a low fee.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 PM

i like femara. my probs were ovulatory most likely due to possible pcos. femara is a cancer drug and it blocks excess estrogen(from what i hear). i dont ovulate on my own without it. you take it like clomid, days 3-7, 4-8 or 5-9. it doest stim anything, just allows your bodys own fsh to do what it needs to. this is only what i have read, but i did 6 cycles with it(dh has BAD swimmers) and ovulated every single time. like clockwork.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 PM

How about VITEX? does the same as clomid but its herbal. Some ladies also take it to naturally up the chances of twins(realease two eggs) and girl babies. It should not be taken with clomid though as they stop each other from working.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Hi

I'm so sorry if you don't mind,what about Maca Root Powder or Maca root cap. Standardized with 0.6% Glucosinolates. HTH

You can google it. GL

Fola

User Tag List