Hsg - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How bad is this test? I am going in for it on Thursday and I am quite nervous. She told me it is crampy. I don't handle a lot of gynecological issues well. I HATE the speculum!

Please let me know your experiences! I just want to know what to expect! Thanks!

Oh, and how long do you have to wait after the procedure to TTC?

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#2 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 03:37 PM

How crampy it is pretty much depends on if you have any blockage. My cramps were entirely bearable (but, yes, it did hurt).

You can start ttc again right away AFAIK.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#3 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM

There is supposed to be an increased chance of pg the first 3 mo after an hsg. Severity of cramping will depend on if you have any blockage. I was prepared for it to be awful. It actually wasn't too unbearable, but I did cramp pretty badly afterwards. I took 3 ibuprofen/tylenol ahead of time, though, as per a friend's recommendation. I also had dh there to drive me home, and I doubt I could have driven myself. The cramps the first 45 min afterwards were the worst, then it wasn't really an issue. The actual procedure wasn't too awful, but the dr who adminstered my exam was fantastic and extremely gentle. The nurse who assisted was also wonderful and understood that this procedure can be difficult, both physically and emotionally.
#4 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Mine was pretty bad cramping. It didn't make me cry or anything - but it was certainly uncomfortable.
#5 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 PM

I've had two of them. They are not horribly painful, but a little uncomfortable. Definitely take advil about 15 minutes prior to the test.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#6 of 19 Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Dea

My cramping was quite bad, I did survive though! I have one side blocked, and where the liquid stuff seeped into my abdomen through the unblocked side bothered me for a couple days. It seemed to irritate everything else, which I later found out can happen. That pain wasn't unbearable, but it was uncomfortable, I did have to take things a little more easy for a while.
All in all it wasn't that bad. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, in fact I have to in order to unblock my tube.
(the first one was just to see what was going on)

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#7 of 19 Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My HSG was definitely uncomfortable and somewhat painful. It wasn't unbearable though. Unfortunately the speculum takes a big role during it. I know some women ask for a child size speculum...

I did take some Advil before hand. I drove myself home and even stopped at the grocery store on the way.

The anticipation of having it done was worse than the procedure itself - it didn't help that they ran an hour late on my appointment and I spent the entire time sitting without anything to do and dreading it! (I wish I'd had some knitting with me to soothe my nerves a bit.)

As PP mentioned, you should TTC the same cycle as there is an increased rate of pregnancy for three months after an HSG.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#8 of 19 Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM

My hsg was actually not painful at all, but I ended up with no blockages. The procedure itself, the speculum, etc. isn't anything more than a long pelvic exam.

Definitely take some sort of pain reliever before hand in case you have blockages, but there is a chance it will be completely painless, also.

I had no TTC restrictions, actually they recommend it as sometimes the liquid can clear out small blockages.
#9 of 19 Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Mine was definitely uncomfortable, but not as bad as I had feared. I had heard some horror stories and I was terrified! I conceived the very same week (unfortunately I lost that little one), so TTC is okay right away!
#10 of 19 Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 AM

With 5 cumulative years of infertility, most of that spent in online and RL support groups for IF, I have heard EVERY response on the spectrum.
A few report no pain or anything beyond a normal exam - on the other side a few have said it is absolutely excruciating, serious pain, way beyond "discomfort". And, oddly enough, there did not seem to be any correlation between pain level and whether there was a blockage or not. In fact, the woman i know who claims it was the WORST pain ever had no blockage whatsoever! Many are in the middle, experiencing mild-moderate cramping and pain. ALL have said to take the advil and/or other drugs if offerred, LOL! And I have known many who conceive in the month or 2 following.
Best wishes!

CPST
#11 of 19 Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 AM

I had the HSG done last year and I know everyone says it only hurts if your tubes are blocked, but my tubes were completely clear and it hurt like hell. Having said that though it is very very brief so even if it is painful (which it isn't for everyone) it's fast enough you can get through it. The pain is generally after the dye is released into your uterus and the uterus contracts. I had mild cramps for a few hours after as well.

They generally recommend taking Ibuprofen beforehand to help with the cramps and if you are super nervous like I was a mild sedative wouldn't hurt. I think the fact I was so tense made it more uncomfortable for me.

Good luck with your test!! I hope everything turns out fine.

Heather
#12 of 19 Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Mine hurt very bad. I was crying on the way home. I've heard some say it was mild cramping and then there are some like me who had a horrible time of it. Take Advil before hand, bring a pad, and if you live a ways away I would have a back up driver. I had terrible cramping for 24 hours to the point my Dh almost brought me back in.
#13 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I go in today!!!! Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!

#14 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

It wasn't so bad! I wouldn't be scared if I had to do it again.

My cervix seemed to take a litte beating but it wasn't pain really. More like soreness. I had some minor cramping afterwards but it really wassn't a big deal. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen an hour before so I am sure that helped.

The tech told me this test has come a long way in the past 7 or 8 years. Maybe people who had painful bad experiences weren't given the latest technology?

Anyway, my tubes are fine!!! I am so happy!

#15 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM

I'm glad the test went well for you, and that everything was clear!
#16 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm glad it went well. Doesn't it sometimes seem like the worry is worse than whatever procedure you have to do?:
#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 AM

My cramps were bad ~ but it was really FAST!! I do have one blocked tube --

I took extra Motrin an hour before the test ~ once the test was over, I felt fine.
#18 of 19 Old 07-13-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got a YEAST infection today! I never get them so I can only guess it has something to do with the procedure!

#19 of 19 Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM

I read horror stories about this test to the point that I had myself completely freaked out. The entire process was 4 minutes. Literally. I timed it. You lie under the X-ray machine and they use the speculum then they clean your cervix with a large q-tip. Then the catheter is inserted. Some pressure but not pain. The dye is injected lastly. She told me to expect some cramping. I felt more of pressure and a pinching. Totally bearable. I watched the dye on the monitor which was interesting. No blockages. Once she removes the catheter the discomfort is over immediately. Don't read all the horror stories! My nurses said this is why everyone dreads it and I promised I would write a positive post! It's not bad!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page