Progesterone suppositories? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had two early miscarriages, with the doctor told me is totally normal, but if I wanted to, he could put me on progesterone after ovulation because this could be a possible issue. So I started a few days ago, and EEeewwwwww!! If I turn out to be pregnant, it seems like I"m going to have to wear a pad for 3 months. Is it really supposed to ooze out so much? I'm doing it twice a day.

What has been your experience?

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcl View Post
I had two early miscarriages, with the doctor told me is totally normal, but if I wanted to, he could put me on progesterone after ovulation because this could be a possible issue. So I started a few days ago, and EEeewwwwww!! If I turn out to be pregnant, it seems like I"m going to have to wear a pad for 3 months. Is it really supposed to ooze out so much? I'm doing it twice a day.

What has been your experience?
Mine weren't that bad, but I was only doing them at night before I went to bed. Is it possible to do two but at night? Or only do it once a day? I was on 100 mg, and will be again next time.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#3 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 05:38 PM

My doctor offered them to me, I'm doing Clomid instead (different story).

Anyway...she said I would do them twice a day as well, and her suggestion was to set an alarm and get up one hour before you normally do, insert the progesterone, then lay back down. The other one was to be done before bed. I know that's kind of a pain, but that way it would soak in a little more maybe?

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#4 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM

I was told to do them twice a day but like you couldn't stand the oozing. So I just did one right before bed, and wore panties to bed. But yes, I did that until week 12 (so actually more like 2 months from the BFP).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't really imagine getting up to an alarm as DS has me awake by 6 am most days, but maybe that is the best approach. So does the high amount of oozing mean that not much is getting in? I don't reallyunderstand how suppositories work...

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#6 of 27 Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 PM

I had to do them 3X a day, but didn't have a problem with them oozing. I didn't use the applicators that came with them though. Sorry for tmi but I found them easier to insert by using a tampon applicator.
#7 of 27 Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 AM

I've been doing this twice a day for just a few days now. What the nurse in my RE office told me is to put it as far up and waaaayyyyy back as possible. Don't just put it in like a tampon, but try and get it right up next to your cervix. I had one day where I didn't get it back far enough and I definitely noticed more discharge. Mine are like soft gels--about the size of an almond.
#8 of 27 Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 AM

They are oozy when I use them too. The reason for using them twice (or even 3x) a day is that it keeps your progesterone levels at an optimal level over a 24 hour period. Doing once a day lends itself to more of a rise and fall. Although when using progesterone shots, that's only done once a day. Probably because it would be a bit barbaric to do more frequently than that.

I was told to lie down for 1/2 hour after inserting the suppository.

I have to say that given the ooze factor, there's a definite advantage to the progesterone in oil shots. However after 100+ shots over the past year, my *ss needed a break

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#9 of 27 Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Hated them! HATED THEM! They also gave me my first yeast infection *sigh*

I was told to do them 3x day after IVF. Had to do them at work as well as morning and evening. Bleh. They were gross and frustrating. They also gave me vertigo.

I was told that they can be taken rectally as an alternative, and that it cuts down on the ooze. Gross... but good to have alternatives I guess?

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#10 of 27 Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Dea

also hated them. HATED! I went through a whole package of panty liners. And no sex! stupid progesterone. Except it did it's thing, so I won't complain too loud.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#11 of 27 Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 PM

hi!

My last IVF cycle the RE used a product called Crinone. I've used both PIO and the suppositories, and I have to say that Crinone is the BEST. It's a gel that comes in its own applicator. Used night and morning and it doesn't goop out during the day. Only yuk factor is sometimes the left-over gel (inactive ingredients) come out in little clumpy blobs during urination. MUCH better than a huge needle or a gloppy, messy suppository.

Hope this helps!

Leslie
#12 of 27 Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 PM

I normally take oral progesterone. If you find the suppositories to be a problem you can request the pills. I tend to have a lot of side effects from them, but most women don't seem to have a problem. The pills can also be used as a suppository and don't seem to leak too much.

Heather
#13 of 27 Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Hello,

I use them twice a day. I get up about an hour early or so to go pee and insert it then afterwards and go back to bed. I don't have any discharge. I also felt like I was not getting it up there far enough and I found while sitting on the toilet it helped. My suppositories look like Tylenol capsules.

Any of you on Progesterone suppositories did your period come late? I have not started yet and I am usually right on time. I am only 2 days late though. I just thought I would ask.

Hauoli lani
#14 of 27 Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM

Yes, progesterone can make your period late. Unfortunately. Monitor your temp and you'll be able to catch when it drops. When I do the progesterone in oil shots it really throws my period off - I do a pregnancy test 18 days post ovulation and then stop the shots (if it's negative). It still takes 3-4 days after stopping the shots for my period to kick in.

I didn't notice my period thrown off as much with the suppositories, even though I was taking the same dosage as the PIO. Which makes me wonder how much I was loosing due to leakage.

Lisa

#15 of 27 Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Hi,
I take Prometrium oral pills as suppositories. They are not too messy and they do take away my pms and cramps (amazing!) but I don't like the idea of being in control of this hormone. My OB says to test at 14dpo and if neg. stop the Prometrium at that point. LisaG--did you decide to test at 18dpo on your own or did your RE/ob recommend it? I always feel uncomfortable about stopping--what if I'm a late implater. I know that some people don't get positives until later... And it takes my period about 4 days to start after I stop the Prometrium.
#16 of 27 Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Funnygrace - no my RE/ob/gyn did not give me the 18 day recommendation, that's purely my own doing. My ob/gyn who prescribed the PIO told me to keep doing it until I got my period. Maybe it would eventually come, but I got impatient waiting for it once CD 35 rolled around and I still had a negative pregnancy test.

With my 2 previous pregnancies I tested positive on CD 28/29, so I'm pretty confident I'm not a late implanter. Also, with both pregnancies I had a strong sense that I was pregnant - things felt very different than pre-period.

That said, your miles may vary and by all means do what seems best for you. There are always women pleasantly surprised by a late implantation positive pregnancy test.

#17 of 27 Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks, LisaG! This month I'm not taking progesterone, so I've got some time to not think about it and mull it over subconsciously before starting up again next month. Very long cycles does not seem fun...
#18 of 27 Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM

I used the prometrium 100 mg, and didn't have leakage issues, but did have severe mood swings. Does anyone know if the prometrium comes in a lower dosage (ie. 50 mg capsules)? BTW, it lengthened my LP from about 7 days to 13 days....

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#19 of 27 Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 PM

I'm interested in a 50mg dose too. My ob said that Prometrium only comes in 100mg. But I know that you can get suppositories made at a compounding pharmacy, and I'm thinking about looking into that and seeing if they can make 50mg suppositories.
#20 of 27 Old 07-26-2007, 04:13 PM

FunnyGrace, I'm going to try and cut mine in half! Remind me in a few days to let you know how that goes.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#21 of 27 Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM

msgoodbuns--How did it go? I thought of that, but then it would all just ooze out... Do you have a tablet and not a gelcap?
#22 of 27 Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Hi FunnyG,

My dr. said it is liquid inside the "pill", so it would not split well or be useful once I cut it. I decided to skip the progesterone this cycle, even tho I did an insem on Thursday, the 26th. Couldn't handle the possibility of severe mood swings right now. Went for acupuncture today - my acup.-ist said that I had a lot of blood flowing to the uterus (based on my pulses). I'm not sure that I timed things correctly, even tho my +OPK line was darker on the day I did the insem. than the day prior. FF changed my O date from Weds to Friday today based on my temps, but I'm not sure that's correct. Who knows? I wonder if the eggs are even interested in the sperm these days! I hope they don't think it's a game of dodge ball!

How are you?

#23 of 27 Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 AM

I found out today that I'm supposed to be doing the progesterone suppositories 2X per day. THEY DID NOT TELL ME THAT THE FIRST CYCLE, two months ago. Buggers.

I hate them, I hate, I hate, I hate doing it.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#24 of 27 Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM

Hi msgoodbuns--Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll call the compounding pharmacy tomorrow about a 50mg option. I'm okay. CD 2 today... not a Prometrium cycle but not many cramps. And I didn't have to wait 5 days for the Prometrium to wear off.

FtMPapa--I hear you!
#25 of 27 Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 AM

FunnyG, let me know what you find out. FtMPapa, it's a royal pain, but I'm not convinced that most Dr's know what we should be doing anyway! Your body should make enuf progesterone to support a pregnancy. I think we use it for extra, just in case, so we don't miscarry.

I'm also using donor sperm (except in the rare case when I'm seeing someone and we dtd, and the timing is right, which is rare). I'm doing at home ICI's, b/c I don't want to spend extra $$ on the IUI's at the dr's office. I have 2 specimens left, so if I have to use them all, I may do the IUI on the last one. It seems to me that the sperm, frozen or not, should know how to swim, and should be able to make it up there on their own....if they're still alive after spending time in the frozen holding tank. This ttc via donor sperm can financially wipe you out!

My bb's are sore already. I haven't had mid-cycle sore bb's in months (or any sore bb's, for that matter)- since Oct 06, according to my charts.

#26 of 27 Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoodbuns View Post
FtMPapa, it's a royal pain, but I'm not convinced that most Dr's know what we should be doing anyway! Your body should make enuf progesterone to support a pregnancy. I think we use it for extra, just in case, so we don't miscarry.

I'm also using donor sperm (except in the rare case when I'm seeing someone and we dtd, and the timing is right, which is rare). I'm doing at home ICI's, b/c I don't want to spend extra $$ on the IUI's at the dr's office. I have 2 specimens left, so if I have to use them all, I may do the IUI on the last one. It seems to me that the sperm, frozen or not, should know how to swim, and should be able to make it up there on their own....if they're still alive after spending time in the frozen holding tank. This ttc via donor sperm can financially wipe you out!
Yeah, right now I have coverage for sperm and all fertility related stuff. This is my last cycle that will be covered in full, because my insurance is changing.

I'm doing the IUIs because I have crappy quality CM and nothing I do seems to change it. I'm doing the progesterone because the HCG trigger can make it more difficult for your body to produce enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy.

After this cycle is over, if I'm not pregnant, I may just go and start finding random guys. It seems easier!

#27 of 27 Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM

FtMPapa, all good reasons to be doing exactly what you're doing. I wish I was in a state that offered infertility coverage. I'm actually looking for a job in MA, since they've got coverage there. I only have about 6 months left before I turn 44, at which point it seems that the IVF option will be out the window due to age. Hopefully we'll both have successful cycles, and won't have to resort to random hookups!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page