Questions about IUI's - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a Dr appointment today and it was kind of disappointing. I had a post coital test and a sonogram done. The Dr said that my CM is "acceptable" but not as good as he had hoped and that my DH's "boys" were having trouble swimming in the CM. DH's boys were fine though, the count, motility .. everything. The problem is my cervix and CM. He said that my next step would have to be IUI if we wanted to get pregnant right now. Ovulation isnt a problem, the sonagram showed us that. So the IUI would just be to get the sperm passed my cervix and into my uterus. Since ovulation isnt a problem would my IUI still need to be medicated?? Also .. how much did your IUI's cost?? My insurance isnt very good .. Infertility is covered 50% after $100 deductible with a lifetime max of $5000 (which all of know is virtually nothing when dealing with IF : ) and meds are covered up to 80% with a lifetime max of $2500. I would appreciate any insight you ladies can give me. Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My IUI's (no insurance coverage) cost me $271. I've seen them range from $150-$400, depending on the doc and the area.

HOWEVER...I noticed something strange, and I don't know if its particular to my RE's office or what...

But typically they ask for payment that day...just like they would a co-pay. Well, at my first visit, the doc told me that IUI's would cost $350. When I showed up for my first one, it was a Saturday, and the receptionist wasn't there, so they never asked me for payment. I assumed they would bill me, and I would send it my $350 then.

But when I got the bill, it was for $271. I thought maybe there was some charge that hadn't been added to the bill, so I paid it and waited for the other $79 to be billed at some point.

It never was.

When I went for my 2nd IUI, they asked me for $350 for payment. I asked if they could bill me as I was getting paid later that week and planned to pay the bill then. They said that was fine. I got the bill a bit later.....and again it was for $271. Same thing happened for my most recent IUI.

I've hypothesized that it has something to do with coding or something...and that their "self-pay" rate is different than their "insurance paid" rate, and that's the difference I'm seeing. Either way, every IUI I have, I will ask them to bill me, and save the $80.

Just wanted to pass that on...in case its not particular to my RE.

If you're not having a problem O'ing, then I wouldn't think that an IUI cycle would need to be medicated just because of the IUI. The only thing they might advise is ultrasound monitoring, so they'll know for sure when you're ovulating, and maybe using a trigger shot so they know precisely the best time to do the IUI. In case you need the info, I pay for my trigger shots (ovidrel) out of pocket, and at Walgreen's I pay $73. Though if you have enough notice to order online (at a place like www.fertilitylifelines.com) they can be as cheap as $30.

Hope this helps!
#3 of 13 Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM

My IUIs were ~$400. It doesn't have to be medicated, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clomid is suggested along with trigger to better time the IUI.

FWIW, I found that at Costco, I could get my drugs for considerably less than anywhere else. Seems they have a standard % markup on the pharmacy and you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. Often they don't keep that sort of thing on hand, though, so you may have to wait a day or two to pick up. (my clomid was half the price of elsewhere, I thought it was worth it)

stephanie

#4 of 13 Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks perstephone! I will keep that in mind. I have a BJ's by me, will have to look for a CostCo .. hopefully they wont suggest clomid because clomid does not work on me .. I had such a bad experience with it that I dont know if I would want to try it again. Granted, it was all the Dr's doing but I could have been seriously damaged. She put me on clomid, and I didnt know anything about it, didnt know you needed monthly monitoring/US's. Each month she would bump me up to the next level until eventually I was on 200 mg with NO monitoring whatsoever. I called to get my next dosage and the Dr who took over for her (my Dr was pregnant and went out on leave) asked me if I had scheduled my U/S and I said "what for?" and this launched into a whole other discussion. The Dr scheduled me for an U/S that day, she was worried damage had been done to my ovaries, and Thank God there was no damage. Not only was there no damage, but there was only 1 follicle .. on that much clomid I should have had multiple follies .. Needless to say, I was very upset .. here I was, trying to do everything I could to get pregnant and trusting in my Dr to help me. I havent gone back to them since. Soooooo .. new Dr and I LOVE him! I told him about my experience and he was appalled (sp?) that I was on that much clomid when it obviously wasnt working.

Soooo .. hopefully unmedicated is an option for me : If not, then I guess I will have to either try clomid again or move to injectables. I hate needles too .. lol
#5 of 13 Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

AND!! as a side note ... I do alot more reading up on things and I ask more questions. At that point in TTC I just didnt know anything and naively trusted my Dr's to "show me the way" ... : what was I thinking???
#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ryan's Princess - Unmedicated may be an option if you ovulate regularly on your own. I did an unmedicated IUI with my GYN last cycle which unfortunately didn't turn out to be the lucky one and will repeat with an unmedicated IUI this cycle as well. (I plan to speak to the dr about possibly adding clomid next cycle - never taken it.)

I spoke to the office bookkeeper before the procedure and she quoted me prices for the semen washing, the appointment and the insem. It added up to around $275 or so. I was completely surprised when my insurance agreed to pay 50%. Although I haven't received a bill from last cycle so next week with the new one coming up, I plan on taking care of the balance on my account. I expect my share of the IUI will be approx $150.

Mama to Blake, 6, and Grant, 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 PM

My IUI's were from 250 to 500 depending on where I did them. You could try an unmedicated cycle but if cost is an issue you might want to increase your chances with a "low-key" stimulation. Back when I was doing IUI's nothing seemed low key though and I tried every natural thing in the book. As I remember, CM issues can sometimes be helped with guaifasin (in cough syrup), green tea, grapefruit juice, and a lubricant called Pre-seed. Avoid saliva bc the ph is wrong for sperm.
Good luck!

M
ps: I only check this sporadically so if you have more questions, maybe PM me.
#8 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Have you tried PreSeed? Just thought of that if CM is a factor. I noticed you have endo-I do too-I read something somewhere (if only I could find the website again!) that Clomid should not be used with endo patients. Their recommendation was that patients with endo move straight to IVF. I'm not sure why-I pretty much stopped reading at that point because I know our insurance does NOT cover IVF one bit. I think we'll try IUI eventually, so I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#9 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Nicole ...
My endo, while being severe, wasnt on my ovaries nor had it damaged my tubes (Thank God!) so my Dr says I am an excellent candiate for IUI. I have tried PreSeed and while I like it, it hasnt seemed to help either. Unfortunately I think my CM and cervix are probably a too hostile environment for my hubbys boys so the only real chance we are gonna have for that precious BFP is going to be with IUI. Luckily I ovulate on my own. I have to say that I am seriously not happy about Clomid and with that being said I am hoping that if I have to be on any kind of med that the RE can find an alternative even if it means injections. We'll have to see though. I really appreciate your thoughts and comments
#10 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 PM

You can ask about Femara (tamoxifen), too, as an alternative to Clomid. Here's a link about it from Duke's program. I've never used it, but I understand it to have fewer of the 'bad' side effects of Clomid- like the thin lining or mucus dry-up.
It's at least worth asking about.

steph
#11 of 13 Old 07-15-2007, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

perstephone .. thanks for the suggestion. I am writing down little bits here and there and trying to remember to write down the questions I have as they come to me. Boy is the RE I choose gonna love seeing me walk through the door with notepad in hand!! lol :
I cant help myself.
#12 of 13 Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM

You know, my RE loved that I was an information hound. At least she said so... but she didn't have to do a whole lot of hand holding with us- I was pretty well informed of next steps and whatnot, and she seemed to appreciate it.
I bet your Dr really will be happy to see you, notepad in hand.

steph
#13 of 13 Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
I read something somewhere (if only I could find the website again!) that Clomid should not be used with endo patients.

Yes, this is true, because clomid drastically increases your estrogen levels and estrogen promotes endometrial growth. So while you take clomid you could be also boosting any existing endo. My dr told me this because I asked for clomid (we'd been ttc for 18 mos at that point with unexplained IF) and he wanted me to have a lap first to rule out endo, his thinking was that if I had endo the clomid would make it worse. He agreed to give me 3 cycles of clomid which I used with no luck. Still haven't had the lap, that is next on the list.

GL to us all.....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page