Natural Alternative to Clomid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard of using soy but are there any others? We're TTC #2 and got pregnant with DS #1 on Clomid but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that route again.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

anyone??????????

Old 09-08-2007, 12:58 AM

Taryn, I'm going to start taking Vitex. I tried soy when we were TTC DD and it was horrendous. Hot flashes and an anov cycle!

My issue is a short luteal phase (plus the long PCOS cycles, well, at least I O!) and vitex is supposed to help with that. If it doesn't work in a few months I'll use Clomid again.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Some try soy isoflavones which is similar to Clomid, or some say anyway. I personally tried it and did not care for it. I got less EWCM while on it.

There's lots of info about this on this site here. They have a more current thread, but I don't have the link for it. It's somewhere on the Alt Remedies board though, I believe.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 AM

I used Licorice root as a substitute for clomid and got pg that cycle. I learned about it from a mom with pcos who had great success getting pg each time using it.

The only thing you have to be careful of is if you have high blood pressure because the sugar content can make your bp rise. You take it 5 days just like clomid then stop.

ETA I also used vitex that cycle but only after ovulation because vitex mimics natural progesterone and I was afraid that it would prevent me oing if I took it before ovulation. Since progest is only present after O. It is safe to take while pg so that helps it can even help prevent m/c.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-08-2007, 03:13 AM

WE used Vitex (aka chasteberry) and all I can say was it worked for US!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I started Vitex about a month ago and got my 1st PPAF last week so I guess thats working! I'm still taking Metformin for PCOS too but I'm going to make a Goat's Rue tincture soon and switch to that. I'm just impatient already. LOL.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Where does one find licorice root and how do you take it? Also how does vitex work? TTC after a loss of about 3yrs ago.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 PM

I take licorice for my stomach. You have to get DGL Licorice or it will affect blood pressure. You can find tabs in most natural foods stores. I've never heard of it being used for fertility. It isn't working for me, that's for sure!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM

I took 3 pills LR a day from day 2-6. Then stopped just like clomid and I oed on cd 15-16. I ordered it offline from vitacost.com they have very cheap herb prices there.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM

good luck taryn!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Royal jelly, the stuff queen bees eat is suprised to work like clomid. It didn't exactly work for me, but I got impatient and did clomid the next month.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 PM

How are you supposed to take royal jelly???
Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 AM

I think I tried everything listed above ttc #1. I have pcos adn ended up having to take a round of clomid. #2 no clomid or herbs for that matter and I was still breastfeeding. I was 4 years with #1 and assumed I would need something again but Suprise suprise ( a great one at that) so you never know you may not even need it this time around. I use licorice root to control pcos symptoms but it is not to be taken while pregnant so be carefull with that one. (advice of my naturalpath)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 AM

Subbing...

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
ETA I also used vitex that cycle but only after ovulation because vitex mimics natural progesterone and I was afraid that it would prevent me oing if I took it before ovulation. Since progest is only present after O. It is safe to take while pg so that helps it can even help prevent m/c.

Ok I have to ask about the vitex mimicking progesterone and preventing ovulation thing.... I have always read/heard along these lines:
Quote:
It works by stimulating and normalizing the pituitary gland, which regulates the balance of estrogen and progesterone in the body.
that is quoted from an article on Susan Weed's site Vitex article

Vitex is usually advised to be taken the whole cycle, as a slow-acting herb that works on the endocrine system encouraging it to produce the hormones which are appropriate at that time (estrogen or progesterone)

do you have any info on vitex actually mimicking progesterone itself ? I'd be interested to know more, having been on vitex for quite awhile myself.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM

I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly how the royal jelly should be taken, I got a jar of it at GNC, and took one spoon full daily for the first half of my cycle, with the logic of "if it helps queen bees make 1000s of eggs, it should help me make one". LOL That cycle I ended up with an ovarian cyst that I think was due to the royal jelly, which is also something lots of people get with clomid.

Oh, and be careful with the vitex and aware of your body. It does work great for some people, but for me personally, it really messed up my cycles, I had a lot of weird spotting and it took months for my cycles to return to normal after I quit it.

(it took me 2 years to concieve my little one, and after doing TONS of stuff we used one round of clomid which worked, but it was also the round after the royal jelly, so I wonder if that helped or not)

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM

I've heard wonderful things about Vitex and how it has helped so many people. I tried it and was taking the supplements for about a month and got too impatient, so I decided to go see my doctor instead. Vitex is a slow acting herb (3-6 mos), so patience is what you'll need if you decide to go that route. One side effect I did notice though was itching, my legs itched all the time! : Anwaayyys, good luck!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM

I used Vitex the whole cycle, I got pg but miscarried 1st trimester 5 times. They did every test imaginable but couldn't figure out why I kept miscarrying. 6th time I took it the whole 1st tri-DS is 9weeks old!! It worked for me.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:23 AM

Hi; I just started vitex this last cycle (pre-ov only), and AF came today. I also have used progesterone cream (after ov) and preseed during/just before the goal-oriented event ("GOF" I just learned) for a year. Been trying for 2 years, 38 years old, no kids YET, am wary of the RE scene because I went 5 years ago (when with ex) due to no periods thanks probably to protein diet, and didn't like the clinical atmosphere, the immediate plans to put me on clomid without yet testing me for anything.... They did test me some and found no abnormal hormone leveles.

Anyway, everything I've read online about vitex says (1) don't take it if pregnant; (2) don't take it and clomid at the same time. Here's one of the links: http://womens-place.com/ttc/vitex.php

Because of poor-to-no CM I'm also going to start evening primrose oil, and I may try the royal jelly too-- supposedly increases egg quality???

If any observers can relate experiences (OR have my miracle answer!) I'd love to hear.

p.s. This is my first post and I've really gotten some warmth and encouragement scanning through these threads.
Old Today, 01:58 PM

I think natural is the way to go. Does anyone know if the ebook at Pregnancytechniques.com teaches about supplements or soy as one of their secret methods?

User Tag List