Oct ivf??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 174 Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my consult today. I'm currently on cd 10, but if my blood work is ok, I'll start bcp's tomorrow and have my er and et at the end of October. We have our education day tomorrow and we'll meet with our ivf nurse. I'm so nervous now that we're finally starting this process. I am so afraid of it failing and being out of so much money. Anyone else?
#2 of 174 Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 PM

It looks like we are on track for an Oct cycle with ER being around Oct 15th. I am very nervous too. I feel so new to all of this and things are happening so fast (which is a good thing). I am also afraid of it failing and of us running out of money! Since I only have one ovary, we couldn't participate in a shared risk program so I feel like there is SO much riding on this.

I start BCP's tomorrow 9/16.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 174 Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 PM

I'm on the same schedule as you, gemasita, ER the week of 10/15 ;P I am very excited and nervouse too! I keep trying to thinking of good thoughts to help w/the nerves but it's one of those things that I can't help.. We've been trying for over 5 years to have a baby and we finaly realized that it will not happen without medical help. Everyone in his family has 1 or more kids, he's the only one left, talk about pressure! I'm not looking fwd to being a pin cushion but whatever it takes, we're willing to try it all once at least. Best wishes to you both.. any advise, comments are welcomed!
#4 of 174 Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'll probably also have ER around the same time, maybe the next week. I'm already nervous.

Is anyone doing anything "special" to get ready. My RE told me to eat a balanced diet, but we didn't really talk about what to avoid or not do. I think my head was spinning by time we talked to the dr. This is most likely our only fresh ivf cycle so I want to do everything that I can to have a successful cycle, but also not stress myself out too much.

Best wishes to you both
#5 of 174 Old 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Nothing "special" except to have good thoughts, try not to stress and keep busy!! I have heard that accupuncture is a good idea to help with the stress management, this may help or not, but if you're willing to try it with an open mind, I'm sure you'll benefit from it. Today I'll drop off the long list of prescriptions that need filling, trying to prepare myself as much as possible.. ie. having all needed meds handy, this makes it even more real! Wow.. waited so long and it's less than a week 'till pin-cushion time ;P oh yeah did I also mention I have a needle phobia (sp?).. last night at dinner I told my hubby, "hope I can do it".. he offered to be the one to give me the shots, I dont think I can handle that part.. I know it's more so the anticipation than anything else.. but wow!
#6 of 174 Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

I just had an HSG yesterday and found out that I have to have my remaining tube removed before we can go forward. Ugh...another surgery. I think this might delay things by two or three weeks.

I started acupuncture about a month ago and love it. I plan to continue on with it. My acupuncturist specializes in infertility.

I am doing my best to eat healthy. I actually eat a lot of protein and keep the carbs very low.

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#7 of 174 Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 PM

I too may be on for an Oct IVF if things don't pick up for me this cycle. My (estrodiol???) level was low on wed. They upped my doses of menpuor and gonal f and are hoping things pick up by Sat. If not they may have to change my meds/doses and we'll have to pass this round. I was so not prepared for this. I was prepared for "overactivity" and also going through the process and it not working, but not this.

It is just so incrediably frustrating. This is our first IVF cycle, so I'll keep everyone posted as I learn more. Hopefully all will be fine and we can go ahead with retrieval next week.

I wish everyone the best!
#8 of 174 Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 PM

It's so strange having to get used to things changing minute by minute, even when you are in a cycle!

I didn't know I was having an HSG until the day before I had it and then I had to cancel my mock transfer because I found out I needed another surgery. Even during the cycle, the doc said we'll just have to see how I respond to the stimming and either keep going or cancel if it's not going well. And it seems like whatever you anticipate and prepare for is NOT what ends up happening!

#9 of 174 Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Good luck to you all!!!

I went in today and did my pt, it's negative, that means I get to start Lupron for 10 days, tonight is the first and only one in the evening, the other 9 will be in the am starting tomorrow.. not looking fwd to the needle's, but what do you do? Weird, this was the first pt test I was ok failing, it was the only way to start up, aint that something.. you would think I would've had a little of hope left for things to happen "natural" but I guess I'm past that. I am nervous, more worried to make sure that I'm on top of things, no room for errors or forgetting to take meds now. Anyone else starting Lupron? Anyone can give some helpful tips.. advise..
**Best wishes for us all***
#10 of 174 Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Sending you good vibes ladies!

Wanted to chime in about acupuncture. My acupuncturist mentioned that there was a study done that showed a much higher IVF success rate with acupuncture done I believe right before (or right after) the transfer. Google might show the study.

And there was another one she found that showed that women who watched funny movies during the post-transfer period had a higher success rate. Guess that would help relieve the stress of it all.

Best wishes

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#11 of 174 Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info. Really helps!

Ok, so last night was the first LP shot, not bad at all, considering I'm a baby with the whole needle thing and worse if I have to administer on self.. this morning was day 2 and again no big deal.. Glad to report it was less of thing than what I anticipated.. yeay! Also, is anyone getting cramps? I've had weird (heavy feeling) type of cramps for the past wk (before shots).. does anyone know if it has to do with the BP ?
#12 of 174 Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 PM

I just found out that I can't get a surgery date until Nov/Dec. So I will definitely not be doing IVF in Oct now.

#13 of 174 Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 AM

I'm so sorry you're not going to be able to do it in Oct. The rollercoaster must be so difficult for everyone to deal with. My very best wishes to everyone.
#14 of 174 Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your orig. plans have been altered. Keep your spirits and your hopes up!!

I think by body finally caught up with all the new meds + vitamins + shots.. I'm getting a slight cold. I also had very bad bone aches yesterday looked at the warning on the LP and one was; bone pain! I don't recall this being listed on the side effects sheet that I was given at Dr.'s.. I called them and they confirmed that this is not one of the most common but that it does happen to a few patients.. Sorry ladies, I'm dealing with the good-day/bad-day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!! Stay motivated, think possitive, live happy!:
#15 of 174 Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Speaking of roller coaster, now I am scheduled for Nov 1st surgery so I guess I won't be too far off my original schedule after all.

OurTime - sorry about the bone pain!

#16 of 174 Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 AM

That's great news!!! Very excited for you. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out. Bone pain was bad for a couple of days but now it seems my body has accepted the meds and is coping well. Unfortunately it brought my defense down and I have a slight cold. Hope nothing else changes, need to stay healthy. Anyone know of a good-quick way to get rid of the sniffles before it gets worse? I had heard of drinking oj with ginger, any better ideas?
Sending you all good vibes!! Take care.
#17 of 174 Old 09-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Hey, Can I hop in? Looks like round #3 of IVF will be gearing up this month. I'm on Cd 1 with a baseline due in the next couple days, and then I once again become a pincushion.
#18 of 174 Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurTime View Post
Unfortunately it brought my defense down and I have a slight cold. Hope nothing else changes, need to stay healthy. Anyone know of a good-quick way to get rid of the sniffles before it gets worse? I had heard of drinking oj with ginger, any better ideas?
Sending you all good vibes!! Take care.
OurTime, I've heard of taking Elderberry syrup to boost the immune system. Some interesting studies on it. But I have no idea about the impact of combining it with IVF meds.

Funny movies might be good - laughter is good for the immune system, and nothing wrong with some extra endorphins

Hope you feel better soon!

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#19 of 174 Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM

:
Thanks for the info., I watched some stand up comedy last night and was able to sleep pretty good, feeling better today also, hope that means I'm on my way out of this cold..

mamimapster--Since you've been through this before, mind if I ask a few things?
I have my baseline this Friday, 10/5.. what should I expect? Anything needed to do to prep for it? I'll be going in early am for the baseline and then back in the afternoon for blood work, if all well as I understand it, my first shot of Gonal F should be at the afternoon apt. on Friday.. how long are the shots for? (7 days?, longer).. I can't believe it's so close now, it's a little nerve wracking(sp?) and exciting!! so much to consider .. trying to remain calm.
#20 of 174 Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Hi. I'm gearing up for my first cycle of ivf at the end of this month and I'm totally nervous. I have a few questions for anyone that has answers. Did you have to wait a cycle between bcp and injections? I just started bcp on sept 29 (cd 1 for me) and my ivf nurse has scheduled my injectables to show up the 9th (my ins makes us have to order them through the mail???) and my injection teaching for the 10th. Is it normal to have bcp and injectables in the same cycle like that? I think I stop the bcp on the 6th after my hysteroscopy/trial transfer (attempted it in early sept, but since my uterus is tilted I've got to go under anesthesia and get dialated to get it done... Not looking forward to that ). Does it work out the same having a few days downtime instead of doing bcp and injectables in different cycles? Also, when did your baselines/bloodwork get done, was it before you started injectables? My ivf nurse told me not to worry about getting that done yet, but I thought baselines happen so they know how much hormones to give you... I'm totally confused. Other than that, I guess I am just wondering if there's anything else I should do to help things along. My re actually has an acupuncturist that works out if her office, so I'm seeing him before and after the transfer (no date yet, but should be the week before halloween, I think). Other than that, what worked for you guys? I'm taking metformin, prenatals, and vit e, as well as trying to eat more leafys. Are all my bases covered? Good luck to everyone trying this month! *crosses fingers*

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#21 of 174 Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM

This is my first ivf cycle, hopefully the only one I'll need this time around. I don't know about others, but as for me, I am doing both bc & shots together.. this is what my calendar looks like; bc started taking on D4, Lupron shots started D19 for 10 days straight, I stopped bc on D24. My baseline ultrasound & blood work is sched. for this Friday, 10/5, if all is ok, I start the Gonal F shots(these are the ones they keep an eye on) on 10/10, I'm sched. for 4 dif. ultrasounds and blood work after I start the Gonal F shots, they're ea. about every 3-4 days, if all looks good my hCG injection is next and then egg retrival week of 10/15-10/19... I belive the med they track is the stimulation injection, Gonal F. The Lupron is just so that you don't ovulate. **Good LUCK!!** How exciting, looks like we're on the same calendar, sched. for ER and transfer!! so, if all is good, we should hopefully have a possitive test before end of month!! ;P
#22 of 174 Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Good luck ladies!! Sending you all tons and tons of !!!!!!

Mom to Elena 5/08 & George 8/09.
#23 of 174 Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM

It does look like we're on the same schedule! How exciting!!! Good luck! I'll be rooting for you! This will be my first cycle, and hopefully we get a sticky baby. I'd be really disappointed if it didn't, not only because I want a baby so badly, but because we know we'll need ivf to concieve more kids and we only get three tries through ins. I know we're blessed to even get that many, but I'd be so sad if it took two tries for one baby, cuz then the possibility of us having three kids would be pretty much out the window. I would feel as though I'd lost a child. Silly, but that's how I'd feel. But enough of the downer stuff.

The scheduling nurse today said that I should be doing a cycle around the 19th. I'll already be on the lupron and at least one other injectable (follistim, I think?) starting the 10th (when we have the injection teach and get to look at the rest of the schedule for this cycle), so it makes sense that around the 19th or so (9 days of shots) is when I'll move to the triggershot/retrieval. It just seemed totally weird at first, cuz I've only heard of people doing them in different cycles. I'm still not sure where my baseline is in all of this, but at least now I see its not weird to get it after injectables. I'm not sure of what my schedule is beyond that. I think since my ins is taking care of my ivf cycle, my ivf nurse tends to not tell me much till I actually have to schedule the appointment! Sometimes its a bit annoying, but sometimes its a godsend.

So, I went to the ivf night that our re's office holds once a month (it gives info on art and we wanted to brush up since the cycle started), and as luck would have it, my re was giving part of the presentation (there's a number of docs in the office). So I spoke with her afterwards and she said I'm definitely doing everything this cycle! AWESOME! I'm excited, but also so nervous. We've been trying for quite a while, 17 months, not as long as some other people, but a long time nonetheless, and the fact that we're finally doing this is both exciting and scary to me. I want it more than anything, but part of me is screaming " what am I getting myself into", kwim? I guess it's just normal anxiety about being a good mom, but I'm feeling pretty guilty over it, simply because I feel after trying for so long I should have this good mom anxiety worked out already, kwim? Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurTime View Post
This is my first ivf cycle, hopefully the only one I'll need this time around. I don't know about others, but as for me, I am doing both bc & shots together.. this is what my calendar looks like; bc started taking on D4, Lupron shots started D19 for 10 days straight, I stopped bc on D24. My baseline ultrasound & blood work is sched. for this Friday, 10/5, if all is ok, I start the Gonal F shots(these are the ones they keep an eye on) on 10/10, I'm sched. for 4 dif. ultrasounds and blood work after I start the Gonal F shots, they're ea. about every 3-4 days, if all looks good my hCG injection is next and then egg retrival week of 10/15-10/19... I belive the med they track is the stimulation injection, Gonal F. The Lupron is just so that you don't ovulate. **Good LUCK!!** How exciting, looks like we're on the same calendar, sched. for ER and transfer!! so, if all is good, we should hopefully have a possitive test before end of month!! ;P

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#24 of 174 Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
This will be my first cycle, and hopefully we get a sticky baby. I'd be really disappointed if it didn't, not only because I want a baby so badly, but because we know we'll need ivf to concieve more kids and we only get three tries through ins. I know we're blessed to even get that many, but I'd be so sad if it took two tries for one baby, cuz then the possibility of us having three kids would be pretty much out the window

Please don't forget about the possiblity of freezing. We too would love to have at least three children and will need to do ART for all of them. We have been blessed with our first with our first cycle with 3 frozen embies. Our second cycle ended in m/c with 2 frozen. We are looking at a fresh or frozen at the beginning of Nov., leaning toward fresh as we would like at least 3 children and can use the frozen for the next child. We have done IVM and have we don't have insurance coverage.

I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines!!

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#25 of 174 Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone!
Sorry I've been mia. I've been having some anxiety with all of this and have been trying to limit my computer (constant ivf research) time.

I'm starting to stim tomorrow. I'm doing menopur. I go back on Monday for u/s and b/w. Then I'll go back either Thursday or Friday. Right now my tentaive er dates are 10-15 or 10-16.

Right now I'm dealing with big time cramps. I only did bcp's and stopped them on Sunday. I started spotting yesterday and have af today, although it is pretty light so far. I was really hoping for no more periods until sometime next year (or maybe even the next???) but oh well. But I've been eating like mad and craving sweets and chocolate. I'm really trying to stay away from it, but the last couple of days have been bad. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and my eating will improve.

I downloaded my Anji cd today. I'm going to listen and meditate every day in hopes that it will help calm my nerves some.

Best wishes to everyone for a successful cycle!
#26 of 174 Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM

I was wondering if I could join your group? I have searched the internet and cannot find too many threads with IVF for Oct. This is our first attempt at IVF and I'm just looking for some cycle buddies etc.

My husband and I have been ttc for over 4 years now. No apparent problems as far as the docs can tell. Everything on both of us is textbook, even the way I respond on meds. So, they believe it may be a fertilization issue, and IVF is our only hope. Like everyone we hope it works the first time. I'm taking 4 weeks off from work on concentrate on this. My baseline is Oct. 11th and I start drugs around the 12th. Retrieval will be around the 24th-26th. Then the dreaded 2ww. I also started acupuncture in Dec. and found that it really helps my cycles for stimulation. In fact it helped me so much that we had to cancel one cycle cause I did too well.

Well, thats all for now. Thanks for listening.

Liz
#27 of 174 Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM

It's a very exciting time!! I was wrong about stopping the LP after 10 doses, it's been changed to be 5 units instead of the 10 I started with but I was told to stay on it until otherwised told. Talk about anxiety, last week I went in for baseline apt., did the sono & bloodwork in the am, then went back in the afternoon another blood draw and 1st shot of the Gonal (stimulant), I have my next ultra&blood work this Wed. in the am and I get my take home kit of the Gonal F (pen shots) first one was not bad, so I'm expecting these next 5-7 days to be ok. Next week sometime should be my ER, I'm guessing the 19th as well, but it all depends on how my body is reacting to the Gonal F.. If all goes well, I should have a definite answer by 10/31!! We've been trying to have kids for the past 6 years! It's been a very l-o-n-g road and we're just hoping that all goes well.. we are definitely doing the freezing, see for us, there is no insurance coverage, it's all out of pocket~~ we'll be happy just with one, would love more, but one would fill our hearts!
I can't believe it's here, I hope this weeks flies by.. trying to stay busy as much as possible with work and all, it helps a bit. I'm not eating-sleeping IVF anymore.. just living it and life as much as possible ;P Good Luck to you All!! Keep Hope Alive, Best wishes to you all!!!
#28 of 174 Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynana View Post
Hello everyone!
Sorry I've been mia. I've been having some anxiety with all of this and have been trying to limit my computer (constant ivf research) time.

I'm starting to stim tomorrow. I'm doing menopur. I go back on Monday for u/s and b/w. Then I'll go back either Thursday or Friday. Right now my tentaive er dates are 10-15 or 10-16.

Right now I'm dealing with big time cramps. I only did bcp's and stopped them on Sunday. I started spotting yesterday and have af today, although it is pretty light so far. I was really hoping for no more periods until sometime next year (or maybe even the next???) but oh well. But I've been eating like mad and craving sweets and chocolate. I'm really trying to stay away from it, but the last couple of days have been bad. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and my eating will improve.

I downloaded my Anji cd today. I'm going to listen and meditate every day in hopes that it will help calm my nerves some.

Best wishes to everyone for a successful cycle!
#29 of 174 Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Looks like we're also about 1 wk apart on our treatments.. how exciting!
My husband and I have been ttc for the past 6 years, we visited one specialist after yr#2 and they told us we were fine, we checked out ok. We opted to go back to regular life, didn't choose to proceed w/other treatments and before you know it, here we are 4 yrs later.. I guess you could say we were too patient. Since age has alot to do with overall well-being of mother and child, we decided not to wait and go for it.. It's been a good experience so far, lots to think about. It gave us our hope back and I think that was very important. We're now going ahead with all good thoughts and expectations, figure it's best to think possitive than to be negative at this stage in the game. He's trully been my rock and I hope to be his. Take Care!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhn486 View Post
I was wondering if I could join your group? I have searched the internet and cannot find too many threads with IVF for Oct. This is our first attempt at IVF and I'm just looking for some cycle buddies etc.

My husband and I have been ttc for over 4 years now. No apparent problems as far as the docs can tell. Everything on both of us is textbook, even the way I respond on meds. So, they believe it may be a fertilization issue, and IVF is our only hope. Like everyone we hope it works the first time. I'm taking 4 weeks off from work on concentrate on this. My baseline is Oct. 11th and I start drugs around the 12th. Retrieval will be around the 24th-26th. Then the dreaded 2ww. I also started acupuncture in Dec. and found that it really helps my cycles for stimulation. In fact it helped me so much that we had to cancel one cycle cause I did too well.

Well, thats all for now. Thanks for listening.

Liz
#30 of 174 Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 PM

I star my Gonal shots today in the PM, more shots!! Well I went to my apt today and they said all looks good, so far we're on sched. for next week ER. Wow, I can't believe it's here so soon! I'm so happy!! To just have the opportunity to have what everyother "able" body can do is just a great gift. I hope all goes good, after having gone through the emotional and physical part of this, I cannot imagine a happy ending~ Again, did I say my ER is next week!! Hubby is so excited, already thinking of how soon we would share the "good news".. he's the only one without kids in his family and I know that he's so looking fwd to sharing good news with his Mom. I have a better apprecitation for life, always cherished it but, just to know that there are ways that medicine can change it all~ it's very amazing! Cheering for you all!! Keep in touch!! May there be many "good" news to spread for us all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page