December IVF - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 180 Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jamie I am so happy to hear everything went so well with your retrival!! Happy resting.

Perdita I hope you are managing your med's okay. Hopefully it's not too much longer and you will be going in for retrival.

Not much new with me. Just analizing every possible symptom. So far I've come up with insomnia (could be jetlag), hungry, stomach gurgling, 'feeling' in my uterus, and periodic burping. Oh dear, 7 more days.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 180 Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

OMG 12 eggs from 1 ovary!!! Holy Cow! That's great! Glad to hear everything went well AND that you feel so good about your clinic. Rest peacefully~

marlee: TWW w/o IVM/F is bad, I can just imagine (and won't have to imagine here before long...) how tough it is after all the "stuff." It must be the only down time for you in a long time, eh?

We seemed to have lost a few eggs, some just didn't mature. I have one final
small dose of gonal f tonight and trigger tomorrow. Thursday retrieval and Saturday transfer. I am getting pretty weepy and anxious. Just freaking out I suppose. Also noticed hives, which I had right before our overseas honeymoon. I thought it was something I ate, but apparently, it's my stress reaction. Yipee!

Have a great day!!!

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#63 of 180 Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Fertilization report!!

10 of the 12 were mature and 9 fertilized successfully with ICSI. We have 9 embryos!!! I am so excited! We'll get another update tomorrow.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#64 of 180 Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Jamie, I am so excited for you! Your one ovary alone served you as well as or better than most two ovary sistahs! Congrats! And thanks for the update!

Would love more updates as they come in!

I'm triggering tonight at 9pm. Thursday at 8:30 am is retrieval!

Oh BTW, my estradiol is high 5500(?) I have maybe 12 mature folliles. They decreased my HCG amt and said we should do assisted hatching as a high number makes the embryo outer shell hard? Anyone know anything about this? My eyes are swimming from all the technical info out there.....Thanks!

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#65 of 180 Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Ann - ooo, trigger tonight - yay!

That is E2 is way higher than mine was but I've seen even higher than that.

About the assisted hatching...I used to think that seemed unnatural but now I've read that it CAN help success rates so I'm thinking that is a good thing!

I've heard that sometimes quality can be compromised if you have LOTS of eggs but I don't know how that related to the assisted hatching - maybe they know that the AH can overcome some of that. It sounds like they have experience with that so that's good!

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#66 of 180 Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Great fert. report Jamie. We did assisted hatching as well. If the outer layer is too tough they may not 'hatch', we felt at that point we couldn't say no.

Nicole, wishing you a great retrival tomorrow.

My update, I am feeling completely normal today and not very happy about it. Praying for pregnancy symptoms to highten my mood. I think I'll look for other ways as well though. Perhaps a bath and early to bed for me.

#67 of 180 Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Jamie - that's an amazing number of embies - well done! Will you go for a day 5 if it's offered?

Ann - hope the trigger went ok - and good luck at the ER.

Nicole - luck to you too.

Marlee - isn't the 2ww horrific? You probably wouldn't get symptoms yet though!

Here - I've done 3 suprefact injections - I've lost quite a bit of weight since my last cycle and I'm finding a fleshy bit difficult to locate (I've got the typical mother's muffin top but I guess that doesn't count!). It took me three tries last night to get the needle in. I've come down with a full-blown flu too, which is not helping matters any...

Ah well. I'm feeling a bit better today after 3 days in bed with no energy. Perhaps the rest was a good thing from a fertility standpoint too... I can hope!

Luck to all!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#68 of 180 Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM

marlee - how are you feeling today? I am sorry that you don't have pg symptoms yet but we all know that that doesn't mean you aren't pg! I have a little box of magazines and movies saved up for days like that. Pull out the big guns if you need to and make yourself feel better!

Perdita - see my post below. We were REALLY hoping for a 5-day transfer and it looks like my clinic wants that for as many people as possible too.

Me - clinic called this morning and said that all embryos are dividing perfectly! The embryologist said she was very pleased! She said that her guess was a 5-day transfer on Saturday but that she'd take a look at them again early tomorrow morning.

The only thing that made me a little mad was that I said that we had been hoping for a 5-day transfer (I should have left it at that) and then said that we really didn't want twins so we were hoping to put back one blast. She sorta snickered and said, "Well, if you want to be VERY conservative, then I guess you could put back one." I told her, well, I mean I would at least feel more comfortable putting back fewer on day 5 than on day 3. She did say that they try to do 5-day transfers as much as they can, especially for young couples (so if I'm so darn young, why is putting back one SOO conservative?).

I'm 31 BTW and only have tubal factor (well, the single ovary too but it seems to be working ok!) so I think that's part of the reason that things are going pretty well for us right now.

Anyway, at least I can start thinking about a Saturday transfer being more likely. I never thought we'd get to day 5 so I am excited at the prospect!

#69 of 180 Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

marlee, the time will pass even if you don't drive yourself crazy
_note to self: follow own advice_

perdita: hope you are on the mend!

Jamie: I think we'll be transferring on the same day! My clinic (thus far) has said 3 day transfer. What have you done with your time?

Have a great evening all. I'll report after ER.

#70 of 180 Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 PM

ann - that'll be cool if we transfer at the same time!

I am still feeling funky in my ovary area so I think I need to take it easy. I had to drive to a meeting with a doula client yesterday so that took up the whole afternoon and then had a meeting today with another one and then decided to do some Christmas shopping. I think I did too much. So now I am trying to relax tonight and tomorrow. It's just hard because the nurses were saying to get whatever done that I need to get done BEFORE the ET so that I could rest after that. Ugh...I can't win. I can't imagine trying to slow down if I had other children though! I'm sure that's way harder.

My friend did bring over dinner last night so that was nice!

#71 of 180 Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post
..... I think I did too much. So now I am trying to relax tonight and tomorrow. It's just hard because the nurses were saying to get whatever done that I need to get done BEFORE the ET so that I could rest after that. Ugh...I can't win. I can't imagine trying to slow down if I had other children though! I'm sure that's way harder.

My friend did bring over dinner last night so that was nice!
My advice, and I'm not kidding: revise your opinion of what "needs to get done". This is a major event in your life, and it's a few, very important days/weeks. Screw Christmas shopping and FORGET housework, sista. This is from experience!
Good luck to all of you ladies! I am contemplating another IVF cycle and it is really helping me out to live vicariously through yours.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#72 of 180 Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM

mama - ok, I read your post and that's exactly what I needed to hear. I was just planning for a busy day and you are right, none of that stuff is important right now!

I found out that all nine of our embryos are STILL growing and are all at 8 cells now. I feel like I am in a dream. I can't believe that ALL of them are doing so well! Go little embies!!!

(So that's why I was planning the busy day....because know I now the transfer is on Saturday. Like I said, nevermind!)

So the transfer will be on Saturday. The clinic said they have several transfers that day so it'll be closer to lunchtime that day.

Going to take it easy now!

#73 of 180 Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Jamie - consider shifting priorities good practice for mothering a baby (always easier said than done of course!) ;-) Because with that many strong growing embies... sooner or later you're gonna be there...

Not much news here. Almost done the bcps and getting into the swing of Suprefact. I have a little IVF math equation for you all:

BCPs + Suprefact + the flu + 1.5 weeks till Christmas = 1 mama almost unable to leave bed, 1 toddler with higher than usual neeeeeds, and 1 poor DH going through year-end at work and trying to hold it all together at home. Whine, whine.

#74 of 180 Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all;

ER went well. 23 harvested, but from what I remember 15 or so are maybe. I am pretty drugged up yet and quite sore. Just waiting for the fert report.

Hope everyone is having a nice day~

#75 of 180 Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM

ann - that sounds great! Maybe 15 were...mature?

I am still feeling not-so-great since my ER so rest up good!

#76 of 180 Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hahaha...I should not have posted yesterday! Yes, 15 were mature.

aiting for fert report.....

You said you were not quite back to yourself yet? Do you still have pain in your ovary?

I am going to try to get everything I can cleaned up today, so I'm off.

Best wishes tomorrow!!!

#77 of 180 Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Fert report

13 mature/10 fertilized correctly

ET tomorrow at 9am

Jamie: I cannot believe we ended up on the same cycle!!! Talk about cycle buddies! What are the chances! I am so excited to be going through this play by play with someone......

I have pg test on 12/26 and 12/28, the later happens to be my 35th bday.

I will not able to post for a while. The computer is upstairs and no way will I be climbing them!

Best wishes to you~lots of and for us all!!!

#78 of 180 Old 12-14-2007, 02:07 PM

ann - wow, 10 fertilized embies, that is awesome!! We will be doing our ET on the same day....what a coincidence! They still haven't called me to schedule mine but she said that they had several that day so it would probably be closer to lunch time.

I am feeling ok today (but I just woke up so I'm not 100% - I slept in!). I heard someone else on another board describing something similar and her doc looked at her ovary by u/s right before the ET and he said it was just still fluid-filled and everything was sorta "crowded" down there because of it. So I wonder if that is what I am feeling. I think I will ask him to take a peek right before the ET too, just to make sure. I rested all day yesterday and I'm still drinking Gatorade.

#79 of 180 Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM

The clinic just called and said to report in at 9:45 and my ET would be at 10. So I'll be right behind you ann!

They don't do an embryo update on day 4 because it's a "growth" day. I think when the embryos are transforming into blasts, there's not much that they can tell.

I hope my little babies are doing ok! I guess I will have to wait until right before to find out.

#80 of 180 Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Jamie & Nicole wishing your both a great transfer today!!! How many did you transfer? ::: and : both.

Well I have have good news to share. I POAS and it's :::

I'm thinking I'll do my first beta on Tue. (but won't get the results until Wed.).

#81 of 180 Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 PM

Oh, marlee, congratulations!!!! That is wonderful news!!!!!

ann, how did things go for you?

Me:

The actual transfer went "very smooth" according to the doc. We transferred one blast.

The gave us a pic of the best two that they had chosen and they did recommend putting two back. After prodding, I found out that they had only done SET 6 or 7 times in probably close to 300 cycles. They "just don't do them." It sorta made me feel better because they just weren't going to recommend one no matter what. Those 6 or 7 didn't work so the doc said, "They just don't seem to work," which is a bunch of bologna because that's not enough to even make that conclusion.

So if you can't tell already, we felt lots of pressure - more than I expected - and it was not in a "here's the information," respectful manner. It was more in a "you are crazy and there's really no point in us even DOING the transfer but we will because you are already here." (This wasn't my reg RE BTW but the other one at the clinic.)

I can't even tell you how upsetting this was for me. Do they not realize that this is a HARD decision and we didn't take it lightly? If it weren't for my DH supporting me 200%, I don't know what I would have done. I can't say enough wonderful things about him and what he did for me today. I am so lucky to have him and to know that we are in this together. He was so supportive of this decision.

Anyway, that's the news. Back to bedrest. I'm BR'ing today and tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot, they are freezing at least three (I think there might be a couple of others but they don't think they will high enough quality.) They said for us, that would mean one FET if we needed it, which sounded good to us.

#82 of 180 Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 AM

Jamie,

I am so glad everything went smoothly. I am sorry to hear that you weren't supported by your RE and happy your dh was so great.

Just after my transfer while waiting at my accupuncture I read an excellent article in the Winter '07 Canadian Infertility Awareness Magazine (I think this is the title) on SET. There was another article as well on a high number of IVF patients wanting twins but after being more educated on the realities of this they change their mind. I know these articles would give you peace of mind.

If I can find anymore info. I will post for you. All the best with your resting.

#83 of 180 Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 AM

Hi Marlee - thanks! That would be great if you could send me whatever you find. I had found some good articles (even took one with me today) and that really made me feel better because I realize that each clinic does it different so there is no right answer. The article I had with me was about a clinic that was trying to lower its twins rate and started educating parents about the risks of twins from the first appt. According to them, I am the PERFECT candidate for a SET. So it made me feel better to know that that would be suggested to me at some other clinics and that I wasn't crazy. I think it's VERY common outside the US.

Thanks for the support. It really helps. I have had so many people just try to "talk me out of" my decision rather than understand how important it is to me. Thanks.

#84 of 180 Old 12-16-2007, 02:26 AM

I did find this article that I hadn't seen before. Here is a quote:

Quote:
IVF clinicians, embryologists, nurses and counsellors, the professional bodies, patient organisations and IVF patients themselves need to acknowledge that IVF children (like all other children) are entitled to the best possible start in life: their chances of being born as full term singletons with a normal birth weight need to be maximised.
I think that is a good way to look at it.

Ok, so, I am not totally crazy.

Back to bedrest....

#85 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Hi guys. I just thought I would post because I am still reeling from yesterday.

It seems like there are so many people (like on other forums and IRL) who are trying to understand why the heck I don't want twins and it's making me so mad. That is not the point. It's being respected, ya know? How is it anyone's business what we want and why do they think their job is to talk us out of it? Why is wanting a singleton such a terrible prospect? I guess the reason I came here to vent is because I think that at least people on this board might understand how important a natural, low-risk childbirth is to me, attachment parenting, breastfeeding, etc, etc. I just don't think a lot of people understand that it is about more than "getting babies." I would really like a positive experience in which I can really nurture my child and not feel like the first year was a blur. I feel like, as a doula, I help people have the childbirth experience that they want. I help them through labor and help them learn about bonding with their babies and breastfeeding. That's my job. And I have not had an opportunity to have my own experience yet. And I DESERVE to have a good experience. One that I can look back on with great affection. I do deserve that. I really believe that. I already don't really have control on how many children we will be able to have. Some other people can just say, "I want 3 kids" and have 3 kids. I may not get any and if I have ONE, I will count my blessings and maybe stop there just because I can't afford any more. I don't get to have sex to have a baby. I have to be given injections every day and then lay on a cold table with a speculum up my vagina, my DH in scrubs at my head, and a rude doc scoffing at me while I get pregnant. I am just really pissed at everything I have had to go through and can't BELIEVE that anyone would try to make me feel bad on top of everything. I know those doctors don't know that I CARE about a vaginal birth as opposed to a c-section and I know they don't care about attachment parenting or breastfeeding. But I do so sue me if my preference is one healthy baby.

Sorry for the vent. I just really needed to come to a place where people might really understand my values and what kind of experience I would like to have. Obviously, I am still really upset about yesterday!

#86 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 AM

Jamie,

Well said!! I am really sorry to hear that your feelings are not being respected. I hear you 100%. All those things are important to me as well. My Dr. seemed surprised to hear that I didn't wish for twins and I felt as though I had to explain myself. This was a discussion of transferring two or three (2, 3 day embies) and one two day. We transferred two.

It's a tough place to be as we are in a situation where people can only guess what they would do if they were in the same situation and really it is such a long road that no one can perdict what they would think or do if it was them.

I hope you can just feel great about your embie growing and know that you made a hard choice for the benifit of your baby and your family

#87 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats marlee!!!

Jamie...I am sorry people are giving your grief. You sound like you are well on your way to a peaceful spot about YOUR decision. Let it go and focus on that perfect little embie making itself cozy in your beautiful lining. Visialtions are great and can be very comforting.

Well, it's Monday morning, and the first time I've been out of bed since Saturday!!! I climbed our rickety stairs on all fours, per DH's instruction.

Things went well for us. We had two "perfect" and "excellent" embies, re's words. Not sure of the grades. Trying not obsess why I do not have pregnancy symptoms already. Just trying to stay positive!

We are still in shock we did it....

Take care all~

#88 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann109 View Post

Things went well for us. We had two "perfect" and "excellent" embies, re's words. Not sure of the grades. Trying not obsess why I do not have pregnancy symptoms already. Just trying to stay positive!

LOL! I didn't have any pg symptoms last time - I was in shock when the beta was positive. Don't sweat it!

Jamie - I'm sorry you're going through that. It's none of their business. Plain and simple. I'm telling far fewer this time about our IVF because I was stunned how many people seem to think it's their right to tell me their opinions, how many I should "put back", etc. And one delightful person who said "I want to cry every time I think of those poor little embryos being frozen." while at the same time happily informing me that they got pregnant every time they tried.... sigh.

It's a hard road... and I think we're likely all tougher for traveling it. But I'd love to not have to.

#89 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else feeling totally dizzy? I think it is from doing NOTHING for three days, but am getting worried something might be wrong, I have also been sleeping like crazy~I'm a sleeper, but only at night from 10pm ish -5:30am.

Is this normal?

TIA!

#90 of 180 Old 12-17-2007, 08:31 PM

I've heard that the progesterone can make you tired. I had a headache yesterday from lying on the couch all day so maybe that's why you're dizzy? Have you looked to see if it's a side-effect of the progesterone? Or OHSS?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page