December IVF - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 180 Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All: I'm Nicole and I am starting a December IVF board. I am hoping to find some cycle buddies crazy enough to do IVF during the holidays (can you say tax deduction?)

I'm hoping I am not the only crazy one and would love to hear other's stories.

I had my med consult and mock yesterday and am fired up and terrified of the shots and the stressful anticipation. AF should arrive 10/31 and meds the next day....

Me: 34, 35 on 12/28. DH: 30
Tubal Infertility (and hopefully nothing else wrong
TTC #1 since July 2006
Long lupron protocol, Nov pre-procedure month Dec retrieval and ET

I'm a realistic optimist. Hoping this all works in our favor, as prepared as I can be if it doesn't. Knowing the first attempt is just that...a first attempt. We have a plan and if not pg by 37 then we'll move on to adoption to grow our family, as someone's siggy says~No better or worse, just a different way to grow our family.

I look forward to getting to know (hopefully many of) you!

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#2 of 180 Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

I might be doing a December IVF. But hopefully a Novemeber one. I have to have surgery on Nov 1st so I'm hoping I can still do a middle of Nov cycle but it could end up being December. It will be our first IVF attempt so I really don't know what to expect!

I'd consider myself a realistic optimist too!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 180 Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Jamie! I hope your surgery goes well and that you are up and rolling for a Nov cycle...the wait is AWFUL! (not that I'm not wishing for a cycle buddy) And it sounds like you've been through a lot~

Best wishes!!!

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#4 of 180 Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 PM

Ann - thanks for the well-wishes. I have tubal infertility too. I had surgery in May (this was just out-of-the-blue - we were TTC at the time but not long enough to really think anything was wrong. 9 months to be exact - since Aug 2006). I started having abdominal pain and they found a cyst on one ovary and an infection in the other so they took that one out and my right tube was completely messed up so they took that one out and left my other completely messed up tube in. So I woke up from that surgery to the news that IVF would be our only hope of conceiving. Quite a shock! My only other issue is that I have only one ovary now and since they cut a cyst off of that one, all of the tissue isn't even there. But no other known issues!

We went to a fertility clinic and my RE did an HSG and found that my other tube needs to be taken out because of probable hydrosalpingitis. I am okay with another surgery because I have read that that can dimish changes for IVF success significantly.

So we were actually originally thinking we'd be doing an early October cycle but now it'll be as soon as I am recovered. So I'm thinking Dec is more likely but I'm not sure.

Yes, I agree, the wait is awful! But if it turns out to be December, at least we can go through it together!

I'll be 32 in January, BTW.

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 180 Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, get rid of that tube! It certainly sounds like you have been through the ringer~it's amazing where we pull strength from during trying times, isn't it?

I am lucky (?) that the one is so closed up it is basically non existent. The left tube appears normal after HSG and lap, but the , um, inerds(?) are probably damaged as well, but no hydrosalpingitis. I'll kick it to the curb if it gives me any grief....

: for you~keep me(us) posted!!

P.S. I love N.C....what a beautiful state, I think it's even greener than Michigan. By brother lives in Raleigh and my niece (she's my age) lives in Carey and we get down there about once a year. Awesome road trip when it's cold and gloomy up here!

#6 of 180 Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Oh cool, we are *right* next door to Cary! I used to go up to Michigan for work sometimes (in my old job). Near Ann Arbor.

Yes, you are right, it's amazing what we can do that we never thought we could do. I think this has been really hard for me because I am a doula and childbirth educator and although I became a doula before we started TTC, I figured it wouldn't be long before I would be a mom too. But it hasn't turned out that way. It has been a little harder to be around all the pregnant ladies lately but I still *love* what I do. It just seems SO ironic though, that *I* would be the one, out of all of my friends, that would be going through this.

Thanks for your vote of confidence about my surgery. I think I am doing the right thing, based on what I have read. Too bad it wasn't taken out during my first surgery but maybe my surgeon was thinking that would be too much of a shock for me to wake up too? Who knows. It was all a shock anyway. Not like it was working in there. It's amazing how my tube ballooned up over the last few months!

#7 of 180 Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 PM

Hi ladies!

Looks like I'll be joining you ladies. Feeling a little sad today though. We just told our clinic we wouldn't be cycling this month as there were conflicts with dh's work. We will be travelling for our cycle and he will need to take around two weeks off. It just seems harder to keep positive and focused when it has been postponed.

I am so pleased to have some cycle buddies though! We are doing IVM so we will not be using any stimulating drugs before collection.

What are you doing with this 'waiting' time?

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#8 of 180 Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi marlee!

I am not sure what IVM means? Is that retrieval of what eggs you would produce w/o meds?

I look forward to sharing this expericne with you! It really helps to have others who are going through the same situation, having the same feelings, etc.

I got all of my meds (except the Gonal f) on Monday and just cried. Had found out the day before SIL is pregnant. So had a couple days worth of poor me, why me and now I'm over it and focussed on staying positive. DH and I have started a "what are you grateful for today?" club~which I'm sure will drive us nuts in a few days, but gratefulness I felt doubles the positive things in life. And I've gone nuts anyway, so what can it hurt

Again, welcome marlee!

#9 of 180 Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and BTW, I work full time~I'm a juvenile probation officer, and I've gone back to school and we are remodeling our house. I did all of this (except the job...) on purpose so that I would have little time to obsess!!!

#10 of 180 Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome Nicole. I look forward to joining you.

Jamie, It sounds like the surgery is a good idea. The waiting is hard though.

May December be a joyous month for us all.

#11 of 180 Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just waiting for AF to start!!! Anything new?

Hope eveyone is doing well!

#12 of 180 Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Just waiting for AF to start!!!
Me too!! Looks like we may be very close cycle buddies!

#13 of 180 Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM

I PM both of you. I forgot to mention I just turned 32 this month.

#14 of 180 Old 10-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Marlee,

I got your pm. Sorry I haven't replied yet. I'll be 32 in Jan, BTW.

I just wanted to let you guys know that DH's SA came back normal except for volume. 42mil/ml, 57%mot, and .7ml vol. She said that 2ml vol is normal. Anyway, I am relieved that there are no other issues besides that. I was really hoping to hear good news before I went in for surgery.

My pre-op appt is tomorrow and the surgery to take out my other tube is Thursday.

#15 of 180 Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck Jamie! Glad to hear you received good new re: SA. Keep us posted!

#16 of 180 Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have cramps! Yahoo! I am so ready for AF this time...first time in over a year!

#17 of 180 Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Jamie: great news on SA. I wish all the best with your surgery on Thursday. No worries about repling to PM. I just wanted to post more personal info there.

My period started today but not sure if I will call it day one, tomorrow might be day one. I am so happy it came now instead of later. Countdown begins. Sounds like you will be joining me soon Nicole.

#18 of 180 Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Marlee: Congrats on AF! I'm right there with ya, CD 1 today! I cannot believe she showed early, wasn't due until Wednesday...I thought for sure she's hold out on me

Hope all is well~

Jamie: any new news at pre-op? I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.....

I bought the IVF meditation CD at the Anji website~cannot wait to get it. I am so trying to force myself to be crazy upbeat....I cannot even bare to think negatively or I am sure I will spiral and not want to do the injections. KWIM?

Ok, I am off~work is almost done and I have to go to Meijer to get some trick or treater stuff....Have a great night!!!!

#19 of 180 Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM

At my pre-op appt yesterday, my doc said that we would be shooting for the Dec 3rd cycle start after my surgery this Thursday. It is the last one of the year so please pray for me that nothing happens to mess us up and put us in the Jan cycle. We were thinking we would get to start in Oct so Dec is bad enough! I am a little nervous about my surgery - I don't know, just thinking about what my body has to endure - again - and nervous that it'll want to putz out on me. I hope this is not for nothing...

The RE also told me that it was okay that I would be on BCP for close to three months by the time we got started because he was going to have to give me the max dose of stims anyway. He also said that if we don't have many eggs, he will probably want to do ICSI to make sure that they have some embies to work with. Otherwise, we could end up with none fertilizing but I guess it still depends on how many we end up with.

We'll end up having both the surgery follow-up and the injections class on Nov 15th.

There is one thing I am worried about. My RE has to dilate my cervix during my surgery in order to get the embryos in in a few weeks. He give a cervical ripener and during the surgery, I guess he manually opens it and it stays enough open during the next few weeks for him to transfer the embies. Well, he's using Cytotec on me and since I am a birth doula, I know quite a bit about this drug. It's not labeled for use as a cervical ripener and the manufacturer has warned against its usage on pregnant women to induce labor. But I don't think they have any specific warnings out about it being used as a ripener in non-pregnant women. It seems that all of the warnings are for pregnant women and for labor induction (and I think their is a warning against its use for abortion but that's also because it is being used on a pregnant woman.) Still I am a little concerned about it being used on me. I'm pretty sure it's fine but just a little nervous because of all of the warnings surrounding this drug.

Ann - I plan on buying that meditation CD too. I guess I'd better order it soon!

#20 of 180 Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

marlee: how are you doing? what does your schedule look like? Anything coming up? Hope you are doing well!

#21 of 180 Old 11-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Hi all. I got through my lap ok. I'll give the details later. I'm off to bed.

#22 of 180 Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Jamie: Glad to hear everything went ok. I hope your recovery is restful.

Nicole: What's new for you this week?

I am already getting so excited. This month is the month! I go in for a day 2 u/s. Then on day 8 I go in for a second u/s. The real issue at the beginning is I can not book our plane tickets and accomadation until I get my period. Then I still have to wait for the results from day 2 u/s to confirm the start of the cycle. I have no reason to think that it could be cancelled but you never really know. The actual cycle is very simple, especially now that it is my third time. I will also go to accupuncture again. I find it is awesome. It makes for more appointments but I find it relaxing and really feel it is beneficial it making the uterus ready for the embies. I also highly recommend taking arnica for retrival. It is amazing stuff. I didn't even take a tylenol after. It does the same thing for me. So I am expecting my period on Nov. 23 or 24. I have extra activities planned for the next few weekends so I am hoping the time flies by.

#23 of 180 Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Jamie: I totally missed your long post above Cytotec: Wish I had any feedback to give you on this...I'm sure you'll be on an antibiotic because the cervix will remain open...eat lots of yogurt if you can stand it!!! Other than that, I have nada....
I hope you are feeling well this morning. Would love an update when you feel up to it.

Marlee: I am guess my AF will be a few days after yours. It sounds like you have lots of planning to do!!! I have never done accupuncture but will start this month. I have also made appts for Nov/Dec with my chiro. I always feel better when I see him. I haven't been to him for over a year since he is in another city
20 minutes away from where I work, 40 form where I live. But I guess now is the best time to get the energy flowing, right!!!!

Have a great day!!!

#24 of 180 Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jamie: Hope you are re-cooperating nicely. Have you have your post op yet? Any updates? Would love to hear from you!

Hi marlee: Hope time is flying! Update when you can!

Have a great night~

#25 of 180 Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Hi guys. Sorry I didn't update sooner.

I decided to take the Cytotec after a lot of thinking/researching. The doc was nice about it and said I, of course, shouldn't take anything I didn't feel comfortable taking. But I couldn't find any warnings specifically for non-pregnant women and the nurse at the clinic said that she believed the difference was in the natural hormone levels of a pregnant woman (vs. non-pregnant woman). Anyway, took it and was fine. It even fell out before the surgery and didn't look like it had disolved much anyway.

Surgery went really a lot better than the one I had in May. May was when I ended up with a very random/sudden ovarian/pelvic infection and had the one ovary and tube taken out and they took a cyst off of the other one. I don't think I've told you guys my history but my appendix burst about 5 years ago and I had a VERY bad infection/bowel resection/abdominal absess and from what I have read on the internet, this is often the source of the fertility problems. I have met several people who have had issues with their fallopian tubes/ovaries, especially the ones on the right side after appendicitis or their appendix bursting. I believe that this was the root cause of the infection in May. If I hadn't had that infection, I wouldn't have know for a long time that we were going to have problems getting pregnant. We had been trying for just 9 months at that point and we only just starting to wonder what was up.

The RE wasn't able to identify my entire fallopian tube so instead of taking it out, he cauterized the end. I didn't get to hear many other details because I didn't get to talk to him after surgery and DH couldn't really follow what he was saying.

I haven't been given any antibiotics. I suppose my cervix is only open about the same amount as someone in the fertile-phase of their cycle. When I call the clinic, I will try to get more details and make sure that sex is ok. My post-op visit is Nov 15th and DH and I will be taking the injections class the same day. We are on track for the Dec 3rd cycle start that the clinic has. It's the last one of the year.

But anyway, recovery has been very smooth. Just two incisions. It took me 5 weeks to recover back in May. I had 5 incisions and an infection but this time, I felt normal by the 2nd day or so. The incisions are just a little sore but my energy levels are fine and I can get up and down, cough, laugh with no problems. Much better than I had invisioned!

#26 of 180 Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update Jamie! I am glad things went smoothly for you and that you are on the mend

I have injection training 11/13, start Lupron 11/18 and AF should arrive the end of Nov, early December.

I'm not really nervous yet, how about you?

I am curious to see how the meds affect my mood, energy, etc. It's a pretty busy time, so I'm a little nervous about nasty side effects.

Well, off to start the day, hope you have a good one!!

#27 of 180 Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm not really nervous yet but maybe it's because I don't have the dates in front of me yet. Once I get my calendar, I'm sure it'll seem more real.

I am a bit concerned about side effects. Since my DH is depressed, I am always the one that has to keep things together and I am worried that the side effects will make me crazy and we will just fall apart! And you are right, it is a busy time coming up. I am a birth doula so I go on call in the second half of December for births (I tried to avoid doing births during this time but they kept changing the dates on me so I had to go ahead and take births because I needed the income. Plus, these people signed up with me months ago when I had no idea when we would actually be doing the IVF). So I am very nervous about how the on-call time will overlap with my IVF cycle.

#28 of 180 Old 11-16-2007, 09:14 PM

I haven't been posting because I didn't have any news to share until now!

I went for my post-op and IVF class yesterday and that's when I FINALLY got my protocol and calendar. I thought I'd be in the Dec 5th cycle start group but then the nurse told me there is a Nov 30th cycle start! I was so happy because I am going on call for a birth starting Dec 15th and I was trying to figure out how to be on call the week of the ER and ET. But this way, it'll be the week before I go on call. The only thing I may have a problem with is having the ET the day that I teach a childbirth class. But I am going to have faith that it'll all work out....

Here's my calendar so far. I think this is a Antagonist Protocol:

11/26 - Take last BCP. Baseline u/s and b/w
11/30 - Begin Gonadotropin and Menopur
12/4 - First monitoring visit.
12/10 - 12/14 ER approx(ET that weekend, approx)
12/29 - Beta, approx

Here are the things I am still really stressed about. I still don't know how we will ever decide on what to transfer back. I do NOT want twins but I think I will have some pressure from the docs to put back two. I just don't know if I can do that and feel ok about it. But since we just paid $8500 to the clinic yesterday, I can see why I would feel the pressure. Ugh. How does anyone make these decisions? I guess we have to wait and see. Maybe we won't even have more than one to transfer.

It was so painful paying all that money yesterday. I think my meds could be really expensive since I am on the highest dosage of stims (due to my one ovary, low AMH, and high FSH).

Also, my doc mentioned again that I might want to consider talking to a lawyer about my appendix surgery 5 years ago. He's heard of someone else, like me, who kept being misdiagnosed and by the time they went in, the appendix was unidentifiable and there was massive damage inside. I don't think I want to even go there though. It doesn't really change what we are having to go through and I'd probably spend more money on legal fees than I would on IVF.

#29 of 180 Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jamie! Isn't that exciting to finally get a schedule! Congrats! Looks like we will be w/i days of each other~Af is due 11/24, but I expect her to be a little late due to Lupron.

I am finishing up with class and will be done on 12/4. Until then, it's pretty hectic. I have been writing a paper for the past week!

We found out on Friday that DH has 2% critical morphology(?~is that how you say it?) and we'll be doing ICSI. It came as a shock, since we had a SA done previously w/o issue/ Looking for some info on critical morphology and what causes problems i.e. workplace hazards.

Have a nice Thanksgiving and rest up for the following Monday!!!

Keep us posted!!!

#30 of 180 Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 AM

HI, I'm just totally being nosey and reading your thread. I plan to do another cycle of IVF at some point and I think starting a cycle group is a great idea. I did a cycle in Jan 05, got pregnant, had a misabortion followed by a D&C :, then did a frozen embryo transfer in Aug 05 and now have a yelling running toddler!!
Free and unasked for advice: It's good to keep yourself busy to keep from obsessing, but be careful with yourself. It's hard. Physically and emotionally. That synarel spray that shuts down your pituitary gland made me a CRAZY person. So freaking out cranky. And I ran the risk of having hyperstimulated or whatever ovaries because I did high impact exercise for too long into the cycle (just not thinking that maybe ovaries the size of grapefruits and the stairmaster just don't mix)

Re: the sperm. Our issues are sperm related and dh has significantly improved his count/motility with good diet and NO underpants. He can't run comfortably though! Keep those temperatures low, boys!

Good luck to you all.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page