IUI timing question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So - I'm on the verge of my LH surge (most likely going to get a + OPK tomorrow) and I'll be scheduled for an IUI the following day.

I'm just worried since historically I get a temp rise 24 hours after my + OPK...doesn't a temp rise indicate that the egg is dead?

I tried to push for an IUI tomorrow but they keep insisting that we do it 24 hours after the + OPK. I know my RE is more knowledgeable than I...but I'm terrified that I'm about to spend $1000 on something that won't work.

How was your IUI timed? I think I need to hear success stories!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
#2 of 10 Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Hi there! First of all, good luck! With my first DD, I had one IUI the day after the positive OPK. My temp started to rise the day of the IUI as well, looking back at the temp chart. I am currently pg with #2, due end of March/Early April and with this one, I had a positive opk on a Sunday (my dr doesn't do IUI's on Sundays anyway) so I went in on Monday afternoon for an IUI and a second on Tuesday morning. Of course, I have no idea which IUI did the trick this time, but I have a feeling it was the first on Monday. Typically I don't feel ovulatory pain, but since I was on clomid I feel like my eggs were ginormous and I could feel it. I felt the ovulatory pain Monday evening. My understanding is that the temp rise means the egg has been released, not that it's dead. After release it's "good" for 24 hours. I would do an IUI the day after the OPK, not that day of, I think you'll be too early with the day of.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
-Sheryl
#3 of 10 Old 11-30-2007, 02:28 PM

This is tough. My dr only schedules for the following day, too, and last month I got a very positive OPK on a Sunday and had the IUI Monday morning but I think it was too late. Knowing your body is key for the timing, I think, especially when we have dr office policies to navigate as well. With DS, I called when I got an "almost positive" OPK and had the IUI the next day...and that one worked Going to try that route in December. If you think you O soon after +OPK, you may want to try something similar. But definitely listen to your body! If you O a day or so after +OPK, then waiting the day for IUI might be good for you. Best of luck!
#4 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM

I just had an iui the day of the temp rise and a day after opk so I'm in the same boat. It looks like sometimes it works... Liamsmommy, Did you get the IUI the day of the temp rise?--Yes, I guess you did. My chart looks similar.
#5 of 10 Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Ideally you'd do two IUIs per cycle, one 12 hours after the positive OPK, and one 34 hours after the positive. This requires using about 4 OPK tests per day during the window of ovulation so that you can catch when it first turns positive. I had a 50% success rate using this timing method (which I learned about because a study was done showing that it increased the chance of pregnancy).

I never would have felt comfortable waiting 24 hours after the positive OPK either.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 10 Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 AM

Through trial and error and reading boards of what others were doing, I started testing every 12 hours when I knew it was getting close (lines would get progressively darker) and found that I would get my positives around 6 PM.....so, rather than going in 2 days later which is what would have happened had I waited to test in the morning like doc said, when it was about to go pos (ie not dark enough in the AM, but knew would generally turn on day 21 for me) I would call and make my appointment for the next morning. I did this because I knew if you went pos on a saturday, they had you come in same day b/c they were closed on sunday....my rationale then being "same" day was actually fine) So, essentially, I would get insemmed around 12 hours after the pos and got pregnant twice that way. Does that make sense?

I was insemmed the next morning.
#7 of 10 Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your stories.

Turns out we did time it right...after MONTHS of living in infertility hell, lookie what we saw this morning:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_5801-1.jpg

Going for a beta right now.

GL and : to everyone!

#8 of 10 Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

So fantastic! Congratulations on being released from hell (good description... and I can't wait for my deliverance!)!
::::: :
And thanks for updating us!
#9 of 10 Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM

I too am released from hell... tentatively. I guess the day of the temp rise is good timing for iuis! Wow! (check out my chart)
#10 of 10 Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnygrace View Post
I too am released from hell... tentatively. I guess the day of the temp rise is good timing for iuis! Wow! (check out my chart)
Woo-hoooo!!! Congratulations! :

Come join us on the Due in August 08 board!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page