Fertility treatments and breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of using fertility treatments (injectables) while breastfeeding? I know that a lot of doctors are opposed to it but I have read of one women in Austrailia who did 2 IVF cycles successfully while breastfeeding...

It seems like the 2 arguments against it are 1. might be harmful to nursing baby and 2. breastfeeding may keep you from getting pregnant.

1. The injectables are hormones a mom would normally have anyway, right?? I just can't see why they'd be harmful.

2. Women do get pregnant while breastfeeding... seems like as long as you have a return of periods to start the cycle, if not Oing is your only problem and you know you don't normally O anyway BFing or not (I have PCOS) - it shouldn't matter! The meds would control everything anyway.

We are going to TTC again somewhere down the line and I am just wondering how to handle this. I hate that PCOS makes it unlikely I will get kids close together without help, and think I can live with weaning at a year... but would be nice if I didn't have to. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and ovulate on my own while nursing but... not gonna hold my breath.

Any experience? Doctor on board, not on board? Anyone go against their doc, keep on nursing, use injectables, get preg??

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 AM

Here's several threads on the same topic:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=827163
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=805948
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=793391

Lots of good info

~kz
#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 AM

#4 of 5 Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Yes I did and baby is now six months old. I am sure you will find me on the old threads mentioned above. Never weaned and never limited nursing. Did not have the blessing of my RE but he never prevented me from getting treatment either.
#5 of 5 Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of using fertility treatments (injectables) while breastfeeding?

1. The injectables are hormones a mom would normally have anyway, right?? I just can't see why they'd be harmful.

2. Women do get pregnant while breastfeeding... seems like as long as you have a return of periods to start the cycle, if not Oing is your only problem and you know you don't normally O anyway BFing or not (I have PCOS) - it shouldn't matter! The meds would control everything anyway.

Any experience? Doctor on board, not on board? Anyone go against their doc, keep on nursing, use injectables, get preg??
I have! I have my ds thanks to Follistim, and I was nursing my dd while going through the process. My dd was 2 and I wasn't willing to wean for a baby I may never have. At first, I didn't tell my RE, did 2 rounds of clomid, which did nothing (I also have PCOS). I fessed up to the RE and he agreed to try one round of the Follistim, and if that didn't work, I'd have to wean before trying more. Luckily, it worked the first try.

I probably wouldn't put those drugs into my body if I was nursing full time a young baby. But, with a toddler, who's not getting their primary nutrtion through breast milk, I don't think it's harmful.

The bigger issue is breastfeeding can interfere with ovulation, even on the medications. If you're nursing around the clock, your body isn't necessarily ready for another pregnancy, and even the meds can't force it to happen. I'm also pretty sure that most IVF clinics make you wean, as it's such an expensive and complicated process they want to maximize the chances of success.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page