Still no period after taking progesterone...why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Such a mystery! I've taken progesterone pills twice now to get a period and haven't gotten one. At first I thought it was because I wasn't consistent in when in the day I took them, sometimes it was night, other days morning. So, I took another round of them and was consistent and still no period. It's been 10 days since my last progesterone pill. I've taken various pregnancy tests and they come out negative.

I took the pills for ten days and should've gotten my period within a week of taking the last pill...but nothing.

Anyone experienced this before? What could be going on?

ETA: I should say that I'm nursing two kids right now...do you think that's the problem?

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baturay View Post
Such a mystery! I've taken progesterone pills twice now to get a period and haven't gotten one. At first I thought it was because I wasn't consistent in when in the day I took them, sometimes it was night, other days morning. So, I took another round of them and was consistent and still no period. It's been 10 days since my last progesterone pill. I've taken various pregnancy tests and they come out negative.

I took the pills for ten days and should've gotten my period within a week of taking the last pill...but nothing.

ETA: I should say that I'm nursing two kids right now...do you think that's the problem?
1) The progesterone pills don't work for everyone. And just because they work for you once, they won't necessarily work the next time. I actually did my last ART cycle after doing Provera and w/o a bleed. They confirmed that my lining was thin via u/s.

2) They could check to see if the progesterone (are you using Prometrium or Provera? If you're using one, it might be worth it to try the other, or even a different form of progesterone) is building up your lining, because if it's not working, there isn't anything to shed.

3) Yes, it's possible that the breastfeeding is suppressing your cycle. Prolactin levels usually return to normal (i.e., non-pregnant, non-lactating) levels around 9 months or so into breastfeeding, but there are exceptions. While the prolactin level itself wouldn't directly affect your response to the progesterone (because you could still have lactational amenorrhea with a normal progesterone level), it might be related to your response to the progesterone as prolactin influences inhibin-B and inhibin-A (or so some researchers think).
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your helpful response!

Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 AM

i am looking into the same issue, for me it worked one cycle and then not the next (this current one)

i have read that it could be a sign of a very low estrogen level, so that nothing gets built up, but i am far from a expert.

my additional question is what is the issues with possibly continuing with fertility treatment without first having the bleeding. Like starting clomid? If you know you are not pregnant (no O, progesterone test, bbt chart and blood beta test) and you have bleed in the not too distant past (cd 50 for me) might it be ok to go forward?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Adorkable

I have PCOS and don't ovulate or bleed at all on my own. My RE had me do the standard entry tests after inducing af with progesterone. Once the testing was complete and insurance approval granted, we started immediately with clomid. Thus making that my CD3 even though it was really like CD20. In order for that to happen they did bloodwork like you said to confirm no ovulation and no pregnancy. They also did an ultrasound to check that the lining wasn't too think. I had this happen twice, the first time I had af 35 days before they started clomid (CD3). The nurses were confused, but the doc said it was fine. Ask your doctor to see if it would work for you.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Julia'sMom, thanks for the info, i have read similar things around the web, not usually, but seemingly ok.

everything is hopefully ok, since i was planning on starting my clomid either way and then I started spotting the same day, i am up to real flow now, if not a bit on the light side. So basically i will just end up taking the clomid CD1-5, to what i had planned, but from what i read, not the end of anything either.

So i comment about the original topic is that it took me the full 14 days the start bleeding, they always say up to 14 days, but so many ladies get it faster that we forget it can really take that long.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturay View Post

Baturay-- I was born and raised in Naperville. Small World, huh? I don't know about the progesterone, but I thought it meant you couldn't build up and endometrial layer??? Not sure. I would give it the full two weeks though. I think they are going to give me provera tomorrow when I go to my Dr Appt. I haven't had AF since quitting my BCPs.... ugh...

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 PM

I've used progesterone many times to start a period over the years. One time it didn't work. No pg. The doctor even tested. She doubled the dose and that brought on a gully washer (she always had a quaint way of saying things.)
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, glad this got bumped so I can update

My RE said that a period is not needed to do clomid and ovulate, so the plan (before my HSG) was going to be just starting clomid. But that was during consultation and before my HSG. Then I had my HSG My tubes are blocked - both of them. We talked about it and will be doing IVF. We have our IVF consultation in two weeks.

User Tag List