improving general health, weight loss/gain - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=ashesofyou;11009738]I'm almost sure it's a mental thing because of the texture issue. I can't remember ever *not* being like this. Possible gross explanation moment ahead, I'll spoiler tag it.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I've never been able to just eat what is on my plate in order to be polite or because I was hungry. As a child, my Mom had finally had enough of me being a "picky eater", and I would cry and cry because I was trying. I remember one particular night, I'd put a green bean in my mouth, start to chew, it would squeak on my teeth, and hit the back of my tongue, and I would gag and spit it out. Well this one time she made me sit at the table until I ate my (very small) portion of green beans. I tried, and vomited over the entire table, half the kitchen, and nearly all the way down the hall to the bathroom. I'm terrified this will happen to me again in public. I would want to DIE!

I'm sorry. My mom has similar issues, including gagging, particularly with vegetables. It sounds like her mom was the same as yours in terms of forcing her to eat and not acknowledging that her issues were real. In reading "Raising Your Spirited Child", it mentions extreme food sensitivity as one aspect of spirited children. ONe of my son's friends is like this as well, and forcing someone like that to eat is not going to help them overcome their aversions, it will only make it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 87 Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
I'm sorry. My mom has similar issues, including gagging, particularly with vegetables. It sounds like her mom was the same as yours in terms of forcing her to eat and not acknowledging that her issues were real. In reading "Raising Your Spirited Child", it mentions extreme food sensitivity as one aspect of spirited children. ONe of my son's friends is like this as well, and forcing someone like that to eat is not going to help them overcome their aversions, it will only make it worse.
Well, if it counts for anything, that was THE. LAST. TIME. that my mom forced me to eat something that I sincerely said I couldn't eat!

I had my trouble tooth pulled today. Now that it's done and gone, and the only other tooth problem I have is needing a small filling on the other side, I am sooooo relieved that I could have this done while on a break, rather than while actively TTC after my surgery.
#63 of 87 Old 04-18-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear the dentist thing is behind you!

My suggestion on the blended soup thing is to just experiment. I think any veggie soup (except for really stringy tough veggies like cabbage) would blender well. Keep it low fat and low salt and give it a whirl (pun intended).

No, I do not have PCOS, not diagnosed anyway. An u/s showed the "string of pearls" but b/w is useless when you're still breastfeeding, as I was at that time. We have to do IVF for mf reasons anyway and I seem to have regular cycles and none of the other symptoms. My weight issues are just from emotional eating I think. And postpartum problems, both mental and physical that have prevented me from getting into shape.

This detox diet is making me a bit crazy, I absentmindedly ate a piece of my dd's cereal and then realized as I was chewing, so spat it into the sink, rinsed my mouth etc. Darned if I'm going to get this far and blow it for one bit of puffed kamut!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#64 of 87 Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 PM

How is everyone doing?

You ladies have really been an inspiration to me. I'm really glad to have this thread!

I had resumed my food journal a couple of weeks ago, but I had been a little lazy about it. I had just been writing down what I ate. A long time ago, I used to keep track of fat, carb, prot, and fiber grams for everything. I sort of thought that I didn't need to do that anymore, because surely after all this time I knew what I was eating, right? Except that I've always had skewed versions of normal portions!! So, as of yesterday, I'm keeping track of everything again. What an eye-opener!! I use a calorie counter online to help with foods I'm not sure about. I'm really hoping this will be the kick-start I need to start shedding some pounds, especially since I'm (finally!) feeling really good about my exercise regimen (I have always had a hate-hate relationship with exercise, so I'm amazed that I'm being so consistent lately).
#65 of 87 Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

A food journal is a great idea. At the moment, I am procrastinating studying for a final exam, so I'm not going to use that as an excuse to start another project. In the past, I have used a training journal which really helps, too. A combo would be good for me, tracking food, mood, exercise.

I kind of screwed up the detox diet on Friday (day 5 of a 21 day cleanse/elimination diet). Lunch out with friends, you know how easy it is to be swayed. BUT I am NOT letting this one screw-up ruin the whole thing. Even though it will be less effective, I am right back on the plan. And I have lost 4 pounds in the last couple of weeks. As of today, I am also cutting out meat, fish, and beans/legumes for one week

Wish me luck this week! I am also going to try out a class at the local gym. And start using my no-engine, push only lawnmower if my dh gets it assembled!!

How is it going for everyone else?

Bumping this. And if my dh is spying on me, hi honey, you ARE hilarious. Go away!

#66 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing with health goals?

I have had a crappy cold so haven't been exercising as much as I'd planned to. But I sure am eating a lot of fruits and veggies on this diet!

#67 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 AM

Hey....I just wanted to mention something....I could NOT lose my last 5# that I wanted to, until my acu doc put me on some herbal meds, and at the same time had me QUIT my usually strenuous exercise routine....so I actually LOST weight while exercising less in just a week...and it wasn't just muscle weight....I lost the extra fat around my middle that had been "hanging around".

Maybe this is a good sign that I will get pregnant....I finally got the figure that I wanted back!!!!

~jo
#68 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM

CRM- I'm sorry you've had a cold, but that's great that you're sticking to your elimination diet!!!

Kungfu- yay for losing the 5lbs!!!

I've been ramping up my exercise routine a bit, and really cutting calories. I was reading some articles about pcos and losing weight, and it's very disheartening! One of them said that to lose weight, someone with IR pcos needed to exercise (aerobic and strength training, esp. the latter), and cut between 500-1000 calories a day below maintenance calories. All because of how insulin resistance affects metabolism (or something like that). But how do you ramp up your exercise (1-1.5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week), AND cut 1000 calories? Without becoming a homicidal maniac??? And I should only be eating 20-40% carbs. ACK!!! I'm trying, and I'm eating no grains/beans/sugars, but I still can't get my carbs down that low. So I guess my carbs aren't horrible carbs, but still. It feels like a losing battle right now. Oh well. I'm hoping if I just stick with it, I'll see results in a few weeks? My ovaries refused cooperate this cycle and we had to cancel our IUI, so I'm trying to focus my energy on this in order to keep positive and feel like there's hope. Please let it work!!!!
#69 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Kristen! 1st: I know zero about PCOS, but just in general, with info like that - I tell myself it doesn't necessarily apply to me and that if I just get off my butt and make SOME changes, it will make a difference. And it will, even if you only lose a bit of weight or just get healthier, it all counts, right? It's not all or nothing (be skinny or give up)

Today I dragged out the jogging stroller and walked to the park for our playdate. I was thinking about the all or nothing thing on the way because I keep waiting until I can get back into running (complications from pregnancy can be quite long lasting, put it that way). And it occurred to me today that maybe running regularly again is just not going to happen for me and I just need to plan around doing power walking every damn day. Yay for summer, byebye : !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all get outside!

#70 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM

I am doing well so far. Still trying to figure out my next step dealing with PCOS related infertility though. I got my lab results from my doctor (general labs) and everything is great. My DP is envious how well my cholesterol levels are. Theres something to be said about eating two eggs a day.

In terms of diet, I'm still grain and starch free, no soy, no sugars except for a little fruit and plenty of green veggies, sea veggies, green juice, green smoothies, clean meats, good fats, fermented foods and so on.

I still work out daily too with HIIT 3-4 times a week and weights, walking and Yoga on other days.

kristenok18 - 1-1.5 hours of exercise is not necessary. I never work out more than 30 minutes a day unless DP and I are doing one of our forest or urban hikes (few hours) and thats only once a week if we do it at all or a 90 minute Yoga class. Done right, you can cut it down to 30-45 minutes depending on your intensity. I only need to do HIIT for 15-20 minutes which is great for my busy lifestyle and is VERY effective.

Unless you're eating 4000 calories a day, you don't need to cut back on calories. IMO what you eat is more important than how many calories especially with PCOS.

I consider my diet more low carb, but I still eat lots of veggies which are good carbs and are not in the same category as grain and sugar based carbs.
#71 of 87 Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM

You guys are absolutely right. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, and I probably don't need to worry about getting 1.5hrs of exercise in a day. I'm just SO tired of my body not working! I've been working out and eating better since January (and eating only traditional foods since the fall), and I haven't really lost anything. No weight loss to speak of, and my clothes don't fit any differently. I was 50lbs lighter when I got pg with ds, and that was shortly after I had lost 40lbs. I keep hoping that if I could somehow manage to lose weight again, my ovaries might cooperate. Probably in vain, but I'm getting desperate!!!

I'll have to look more closely at HIIT. That sounds like it would be great for my busy days. Barose, is this is the same exercise regimen you've been using since you started to lose weight? From you siggy, you've lost quite a bit!

CRM, did you run alot before dd? Did you do distance running? Dh is a marathoner, and is really excited about the idea of me starting to run. I've been doing a few short intervals of running in between power walking on the treadmill, and it's not as horrible as I thought it would be! I think power walking is a great way to get back into things, and it's such a great way to refresh yourself. Especially now that it's spring!! I'm sorry that you haven't been able to start running again. That really stinks, especially when it's something you love. Is it something that will get better over time?
#72 of 87 Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You guys are absolutely right. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, and I probably don't need to worry about getting 1.5hrs of exercise in a day. I'm just SO tired of my body not working! I've been working out and eating better since January (and eating only traditional foods since the fall), and I haven't really lost anything. No weight loss to speak of, and my clothes don't fit any differently. I was 50lbs lighter when I got pg with ds, and that was shortly after I had lost 40lbs. I keep hoping that if I could somehow manage to lose weight again, my ovaries might cooperate. Probably in vain, but I'm getting desperate!!!

Dh is a marathoner, and is really excited about the idea of me starting to run. I've been doing a few short intervals of running in between power walking on the treadmill, and it's not as horrible as I thought it would be! I think power walking is a great way to get back into things, and it's such a great way to refresh yourself. Especially now that it's spring!! I'm sorry that you haven't been able to start running again. That really stinks, especially when it's something you love. Is it something that will get better over time?
I definitely think you should keep calories in check if you want to lose weight, but cutting out 1000 BELOW basic maintanence levels will backfire, your body will go into fasting mode and you will be hanging on to EVERY little calorie. Especially if you are working out 1.5 hours a day!!! I heard if you do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes and then weights for about 15-20 and then some yoga or stretching that is all you need. Move around every day and try to ramp up the intensity 3-4 days a week. Eat at least 1800 calories a day on the days you work out.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#73 of 87 Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
I definitely think you should keep calories in check if you want to lose weight, but cutting out 1000 BELOW basic maintanence levels will backfire, your body will go into fasting mode and you will be hanging on to EVERY little calorie. Especially if you are working out 1.5 hours a day!!! I heard if you do high intensity cardio for 30 minutes and then weights for about 15-20 and then some yoga or stretching that is all you need. Move around every day and try to ramp up the intensity 3-4 days a week. Eat at least 1800 calories a day on the days you work out.
This is what dh says too, but I've been doing exactly what you recommend since Jan and I haven't seen any changes (no pounds, no inches). I keep reading that for some women with pcos it is very difficult to lose weight (the hormones do crazy things with the way your body uses/stores fat), I just didn't realize how much it would ring true for me. I certainly never had any trouble losing weight when I was in my 20's!! I've cut down to eating between 1300 and 1500 cal a day, and I'm doing cardio for 30-40 min, followed by 20-30 min of weights (or more, depending on which muscle groups I'm doing) and stretching. I also try to fit in a few ab or pilates core exercises in those odd free moments throughout the day. I'm also eating very nutrient-dense traditional foods, which I feel helps tremendously.

How is everyone else doing? It's gotten cold, windy, and rainy here, so all my plans to get out with ds and the dog for long walks in the sunshine got shelved for awhile.
#74 of 87 Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Hey all! One of the reasons I posted about finally shedding that last 5# after taking the herbal meds is b/c the reason my acu put me on them in the first place is to treat for hormonal imbalances.....hormonal imbalances that were preventing me from losing that weight (or making it extremely difficult) and which were encouraging my body to retain a bunch of toxins......

I am not recommending that everyone take the same blend, but maybe checking with an acu or naturopath about doing something to balance the hormones might help with the weight loss....esp those w/ pcos as that definitely indicates a hormonal balance....or anyone who has done medicated iui's/ivf's--b/c even if you were balanced BEFORE those treatments, you probably are not anymore!!!!

~jo
#75 of 87 Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM

i have pcos and im underweight. i dont know how im suppose to gain when my doctor told me i have to stop eating alot of things. i find it so hard to try and find enough stuff so that i get enough calories in a day:. i have been exercising alittle more often, so hopefully that will help a little. anyone have any tips to help me gain weight? im 5'8 107 lbs. always been skinny
#76 of 87 Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebabysoon View Post
i have pcos and im underweight. i dont know how im suppose to gain when my doctor told me i have to stop eating alot of things. i find it so hard to try and find enough stuff so that i get enough calories in a day:. i have been exercising alittle more often, so hopefully that will help a little. anyone have any tips to help me gain weight? im 5'8 107 lbs. always been skinny
Ensure shakes and lots of protein! Did your doc tell you you should gain weight??

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#77 of 87 Old 04-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What kinds of things did they tell you not to eat, and what are you eating? If you tolerate dairy, make sure you are eating whole fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese). Fat is not a demon like most people think, but you have to eat quality fats. Grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, organic (even raw) dairy, olive or coconut oil, nuts, etc. If you tolerate grains, make sure you are eating whole grains, sprouted would be better. I would recommend checking out the traditional foods forum for some great information. Working on eating quality foods that are nutrient-dense would be a great place to start!
#78 of 87 Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM

my doctor said that im underweight and that i need to gain. i cant eat anything with trans fat. i need to stay away from cholesterol. alot less sugar.no junkfood.
i need alot more fruits and veggies. and alot more exercise. but how am i suppose to exercise if i dont get enough calories in a day. am i not going to start losing weight then?
i have pcos.
#79 of 87 Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
In terms of diet, I'm still grain and starch free, no soy, no sugars except for a little fruit and plenty of green veggies, sea veggies, green juice, green smoothies, clean meats, good fats, fermented foods and so on.

......Done right, you can cut it down to 30-45 minutes depending on your intensity. I only need to do HIIT for 15-20 minutes which is great for my busy lifestyle and is VERY effective.
I posted a big multi-quote response the other day and the server ate it or something, so I am going to ask all my questions one by one, sorry for the multiple postings.

Barose, where do you get your "sea veggies", what are they specifically and how do you cook/serve them????

The HIIT thing looks very interesting, do you follow a specific program or? Love to hear more!

#80 of 87 Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

CRM, did you run alot before dd? Did you do distance running? Dh is a marathoner, and is really excited about the idea of me starting to run. I've been doing a few short intervals of running in between power walking on the treadmill, and it's not as horrible as I thought it would be! I think power walking is a great way to get back into things, and it's such a great way to refresh yourself. Especially now that it's spring!! I'm sorry that you haven't been able to start running again. That really stinks, especially when it's something you love. Is it something that will get better over time?
I was somewhat of a "born again" exerciser. I never did much in my 20's and got right into running in my late 20's/early 30's. So it kind of helped me to see myself in a different light - "someone who exercises", kwim? At my most regular training, I was running 2 or 3 times a week and got up to the 10km stage (I did one in 70 minutes, very proud!) I highly recommend doing a walk/run program designed for beginners. It helps you to be more successful, helps you to set specific goals and track your progress and most importantly - avoid injury and stick with it.

I think I have to let the running thing go for now. We are doing IVF in the next couple of months, so just regular exercise is the most important thing. I have core strength issues still from my pg, so lots of kegels and safe abdominal exercises would be good. And continued lawnmowing, I did one hour last night with our non-motorized push mower, yay for summmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#81 of 87 Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AVOCADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#82 of 87 Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
I posted a big multi-quote response the other day and the server ate it or something, so I am going to ask all my questions one by one, sorry for the multiple postings.

Barose, where do you get your "sea veggies", what are they specifically and how do you cook/serve them????

The HIIT thing looks very interesting, do you follow a specific program or? Love to hear more!
“sea veggies” are just various types of seaweed: nori, dulse, kelp, etc. I get them from most grocery stores in the Asian food sections where they are sold dry. I go to Whole Foods and independent health food stores.I rehydrate them in soups, broths, sprinkle some (grinded) on salads, etc. It depends on the type of seaweed, they all have a different texture and flavor.

For HIIT, I made up a program I use on my spinning bike. I don’t do more than 20 minutes 3-4 days a week. I alternate with running (especially hills in my area) weights, etc on other days – or just a nice walk or hike.

HTH!
#83 of 87 Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
my doctor said that im underweight and that i need to gain. i cant eat anything with trans fat. i need to stay away from cholesterol. alot less sugar.no junkfood.
i need alot more fruits and veggies. and alot more exercise. but how am i suppose to exercise if i dont get enough calories in a day. am i not going to start losing weight then?
i have pcos.
I am very similar to you. I have a BMI of 18 and can't seem to gain much weight, though I've been trying really hard! I am now drinking one glass of raw whole milk/day, have added meat back in to my diet (incl. some fatty meat) and eat whole milk org. yogurt, free-range eggs. Avocado and nuts (and nut butters) are great suggestions. Using lots of healthy oils and org. butter is great too. I'd caution against loading up on refined grains, i.e. pasta and bagels, etc. Stick with whole foods, but do not worry about fat (that's not trans fat) right now. It's actually very good for your sex hormones if you are underweight. I've been reading "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and reading about the studies of Weston Price. I totally recommend both. It's not at all how I've been eating before now, but intuitively it feels right. I've been told I have a hypothalamus dysfunction so in retrospect I'm sure the veg. diet for 12 years wasn't quite as helpful as I thought. Anyway, I"ve also been told not to exercise which is hard as a former dancer, yoga addict. But I've taken this seriously and I've switched to yin yoga and light walking and gardening. That's it. Could you do low-impact gentle exercise that isn't so calorie burning? You're right, the gain weight but exercise thing does seem contrary. This link may seem a bit intense:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html
You don't have to do all of it, just maybe some things that seem right for you. I do know some women who've sworn by this IRL. GL! Hope that helps!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#84 of 87 Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM

im up to 110 only 12 more pounds to go. i think i can, i think i can..... lol
#85 of 87 Old 05-28-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
im up to 110 only 12 more pounds to go. i think i can, i think i can..... lol
YOU CAN!!!!

My focus this week is being mindful of what I eat (not just popping things in my mouth), not eating after 8pm and limiting portion size.

#86 of 87 Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 AM

CRM- being mindful about our eating is so important (especially if you are chasing kidlets around and eating after them)! Keep up the good work!

My exercise and eating journal regimen have been derailed, and they are still at a dead stop. My mother became very ill (ruptured appendix) and was in ICU for 5 days, and then in the hospital for another 6 days after that. She's doing so much better now, but between going out to see her (she's 2 hours away), and all the other crazy hectic things that happen in May, I haven't worked out or kept track of my eating AT ALL. My fil and his new wife are coming in 2 days for a visit, so I'm hoping that once they leave on Tuesday, I can try to get back into a routine. It's just so frustrating to watch all my hard work go away so dang fast.

How is everyone else doing?
#87 of 87 Old 05-28-2008, 03:12 PM

trying to gain 12 pounds is going to be hard. i cant find enough food to put in my mouth, to get enough calories. im trying to eat 2000 calories aday. so that i can exercise and not lose weight.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page