improving general health, weight loss/gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone interested in a thread focussing on improving overall health (physical, mental and emotional!) and weight loss or weight gain (with improving fertility or success rates of ART in mind)?

I am back at my "pre-pregnancy weight", which is bad news. I had hovered around 165 for a few years, which is not a great weight for my height and frame. In the months leading up to getting pg with my dd, I went up to 176, then gained 40 pounds during pregnancy and had associated foot, knee, and pelvic floor problems. By last summer I was down to 162-165 again and now I am back up to 175. Weaning my dd didn't help. This is a big deal for me to state actual numbers, I am trying for some accountability here. Losing some weight would make me feel like I am doing something concrete towards improving the success of our next IVF cycle and I could use some support.

Anyone else interested?

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#2 of 87 Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 PM

I am! I have pcos, and am battling with my weight and body shape. At this point, it's not just for infertility. I am trying to change my eating and my exercise habits for my overall health. I have cut down my grains and sugars dramatically, but I really need to omit them completely. I also tend to exercise well for a certain period of time, then give up for an even longer period of time. I'm not quite ready to put numbers out there yet (I can barely even admit them to dh!), but hopefully the changes I've been making over the last couple of years will be making a difference once I can commit to them consistently.

I am currently trying follow a traditional foods diet with limited grains/sugars, and I'm exercising several days a week at the Y (elliptical and weights). Dh is a marathon runner, and really wants me to start running. I am contemplating trying to train for a 5K, which is a HUGE step for me. I just need to buy a good sports bra ($$$) for my huge ladies.
#3 of 87 Old 03-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For once I don't feel like I need to gain any weight. I am glad you included that though. Some of us skinnies have a hard time keeping the weight on and quite often I feel like I can't say anything about it because the rest of the world is trying to loose weight- even if they are an ideal weight.

I am steadily improving my diet and fixing deficiencies. Mainly iodine, zinc and selenium are ones I try to be faithful in getting. Iam being sure to get more raw and whole foods into my diet. I have cut out fast foods, but have added coffee as Timmies is doing r-r-roll up the rim right now and 9 times out of 10 I win a coffee or donut which is unusual. Heres to winning the car or the boat next

I am also concious of trying to get fit. When I was pregnant with dd, I was super fit and had a great pregnancy because I was able to stay active. I have not been active in the past year or so, so I need to get going now or else Id be scared to start exercising while pregnant.

I started seeing a chiropractor and masseuse a few months ago. And detoxing. These are all things I wanted to do but couldn't before getting preg the first time around.

Decluttering 500/2010
#4 of 87 Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenok18 View Post
I'm not quite ready to put numbers out there yet (I can barely even admit them to dh!)............. I just need to buy a good sports bra ($$$) for my huge ladies.
Oh, my dh doesn't know those numbers!!!! I like to keep some mystery in the relationship. Every once in a while I ask him how much HE weighs, and I'll mention that I weigh less (if I do at that moment )

[QUOTE=BunnySlippers;10885313]For once I don't feel like I need to gain any weight. I am glad you included that though. Some of us skinnies have a hard time keeping the weight on and quite often I feel like I can't say anything about it because the rest of the world is trying to loose weight- even if they are an ideal weight.
I have not been active in the past year or so, so I need to get going now or else Id be scared to start exercising while pregnant.

[QUOTE]

You can say it here, I know there are others that have mentioned trying to put on weight and then losing it due to getting sick and how frustrating it is. Healthy is healthy and we all want to get there!

I feel the same about exercise. When I was pregant with dd, I had had so many health issues (and stress induced Ben and Jerry's) that I didn't get into any kind of exercise while pregnant because I was sooooo out of shape beforehand.

I think a good start for me would be just mindful eating. Not eating so it isn't "wasted", not eating on the fly and eating 3 meals and 2 snacks, instead of all day long.

#5 of 87 Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 PM

I am interested in this as well--- I might be underweight, but I am not sure. I am not "infertile" per say but I just haven't had AF in three months almost. I had been on BCP for over 8 years and just went off three months ago. I run on the ellipitcal everyday (unless something comes up) for about 40-45 minutes and I lift light weights three times a week. I am 5'5'' adn 125 lbs which may be too skinny? I don't know. I just want my period and fertility back and don't know where to start! Oh also, I love cheese and natural foods although I love meat, chicken, fish, etc so I am not a veggie. But my big downfall: HORRIBLE DIET SODA. I think I am addicted. And I drink two to 2.5 glasses of wine a night (I am a food and wine snob) hahaha and I LOVE coffee. So anyways, any advice would be great.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#6 of 87 Old 03-30-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome!
First off, I was on BCP for most of 10 years and it took a good 6-8 months for things to get "normal". And yes, diet soda is the DEVIL - stop!!!

Are you trying to get pregnant? If so, I have heard that too much vigorous exercise can be a problem. Maybe you would switch to walking for 2 or 3 days a week?

#7 of 87 Old 03-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
Welcome!
First off, I was on BCP for most of 10 years and it took a good 6-8 months for things to get "normal". And yes, diet soda is the DEVIL - stop!!!

Are you trying to get pregnant? If so, I have heard that too much vigorous exercise can be a problem. Maybe you would switch to walking for 2 or 3 days a week?
Could diet soda cause me not to ovulate??? just curious, I haven't seen evidence of that

I tried to just walk 2-3 days a week but honestly the high I get (the stress release???) from running on the elipitcal I just love love love. I was thinking I would cut it out a couple days a week but it's like I am addicted! I try to eat more then you would think I would to compensate for the exercize: two servings of pasta, bread, veggies, wine, and salad for dinner for example. I always snack on fresh fruit, veggies, and peanut m and ms too. hahaha Thanks for your help, it is good to know that BC can screw up your cycle. I am seeing my doctor in a week or so so I hoping the period will start before I get there. She doesn't seem knowledgable and at all healthy. She is obese and doesn't really listen. ugh. I would go to another doctor but my husband is army and its kinda hard to switch doctors.

#8 of 87 Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
\ She doesn't seem knowledgable and at all healthy. She is obese and doesn't really listen. ugh. I would go to another doctor but my husband is army and its kinda hard to switch doctors.
She could be pretty ignorant about health and nutrition (as I know most people are, regardless of their medical credentials), or she could be dealing with hormone issues like PCOS or thyroid problems, which can make it virtually impossible to lose weight.
#9 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
She doesn't seem knowledgable and at all healthy. She is obese and doesn't really listen. ugh. I would go to another doctor but my husband is army and its kinda hard to switch doctors.
I'm pretty certain you could be a great doctor and obese. I used to be a great obese attorney. I also know quite alot about how to not be fat, although I am. And I'm guessing she could be not healthy, but still know alot about health. And, I know this sounds like I'm really thinking outside the box, but I even think it is possible to be healthy and obese.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#10 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
And, I know this sounds like I'm really thinking outside the box, but I even think it is possible to be healthy and obese.
: I exercise regularly and eat an amazing diet, but you'd never know it to look at me. I have been studying nutrition intensively for years, but again, you'd never know it to look at me.

I know this thread is a support for those dealing with IF and trying to gain or lose weight for health issues, but please be mindful of how you word things. If your doctor doesn't listen, yes that's a problem. She's obese? That is not a valid reason to dismiss someone.
#11 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
: I exercise regularly and eat an amazing diet, but you'd never know it to look at me. I have been studying nutrition intensively for years, but again, you'd never know it to look at me.

I know this thread is a support for those dealing with IF and trying to gain or lose weight for health issues, but please be mindful of how you word things. If your doctor doesn't listen, yes that's a problem. She's obese? That is not a valid reason to dismiss someone.

Sorry, I worded that the wrong way. I guess what I am saying is that I can't see her having sympathy for someone who has a hard time gaining. Maybe not though if she has a hard time losing she might be able to understand

I don't know, I assume that when you are in the business of health you should be healthy yourself. I understand that women can be large and healthy, my MIL is the perfect example, people are all built differently. My doctor just doesn't seem healthy to me and I guess subconciously that causes me to not respect her as a health expert. I would choose a different doctor for sure if I had the opportunity. SHe dismisses things I say and keeps me waiting for hours in the waiting room (not her fault, bad scheduling) I just have not had a good experience there, yet. Hopefully things change!

#12 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I too think it really varies by individual. I am hesitant to tell people my weight IRL because they always either say "NO, you're not" or "that's not fat". So maybe I look better than I feel. Because how I feel is what I was focussing on starting this thread. I feel too heavy, not fit, not strong and not healthy. I would like to change and I could use some support.

When people are happy as they are, do not want to change or are not ready for change, or don't want other people piping up about it, that should be totally respected.

#13 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM

So what is everyone doing for their regular workout routine? Are you adding anything in to step up the pace?

I get stuck in a rut doing 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and then various weights, but I just bought a dance workout video called "Bollywood Burn." It features dance moves to Bhangra pop that also give you a good workout. It's not really what I expected, but I'm hoping it'll give me some inspiration and trick my body into burning some more calories. Our Y offers a "Zumba" class, which uses several different styles of dance, but I haven't worked up the nerve to join it yet.

I'd love to hear what the rest of you do for your workout!!
#14 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM

I have insulin resistant PCOS/estrogen dominance and slightly hypothyroid so keeping my diet in line and exercise is extremely important for my fertility. Its always a long learning process as to what I can and cannot eat, but its worth it for my health even if I don’t conceive.

I work out 5-7 days a week either running, spinning (have a bike at home) weight, and some Yoga.
#15 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
So what is everyone doing for their regular workout routine? Are you adding anything in to step up the pace?

I get stuck in a rut doing 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and then various weights, but I just bought a dance workout video called "Bollywood Burn." It features dance moves to Bhangra pop that also give you a good workout. It's not really what I expected, but I'm hoping it'll give me some inspiration and trick my body into burning some more calories. Our Y offers a "Zumba" class, which uses several different styles of dance, but I haven't worked up the nerve to join it yet.

I'd love to hear what the rest of you do for your workout!!

I do the elipitical for 40 minutes a day (gossiping with a friend so it FLIES by). Then 3 times a week I do at least thirty walking lunges with 10 lb weights, followed by the seated row at 90 lbs (about 18 reps). Then I do bicep curls (10 lbs, about 12 reps x 3). I then stretch and do various yoga positions to really relax. I love it. good question tonight I had an EXTRA serving of rice and chicken stir fry so I am feeling like I am really getting good at eating to gain weight correctly.

#16 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I have insulin resistant PCOS/estrogen dominance and slightly hypothyroid so keeping my diet in line and exercise is extremely important for my fertility. Its always a long learning process as to what I can and cannot eat, but its worth it for my health even if I don’t conceive.

I work out 5-7 days a week either running, spinning (have a bike at home) weight, and some Yoga.
My girlfriend is the same as you and she just got PG without having AF or a period in over 6 months. I just wanted you to know that if you do the best you can do, then I think that the rest is in Gods (or whatever higher it is you believe in!)'s hands.

#17 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
My girlfriend is the same as you and she just got PG without having AF or a period in over 6 months. I just wanted you to know that if you do the best you can do, then I think that the rest is in Gods (or whatever higher it is you believe in!)'s hands.
Infertility can make things a bit more complicated than that, though.
#18 of 87 Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I understand that- she had been trying for about three years. She classifies herself as infertile, so take that for what you want.

#19 of 87 Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think both points are valid.
#20 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM

I'll join you guys! I'm 5'8, 149lbs. I gained 10lbs in a month after quitting the pill and want to get some of that off before my RE appointment (referred by gyn for suspected PCOS) on the 22nd. I should be about 135lbs. I exercise, but do too much yoga and walking on the treadmill, not enough cardio.

I trying to do low carb. I've always avoided fat and can't get over it. So no fat, no carbs, no meat (I'm semi-veg). What am I supposed to eat!!!??!! If I see one more piece of broccoli, I'm going to hurl.

mom to DD 3/09
#21 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will join you as well. I haven't posted here much (if at all, I think), but I might be moving over here shortly. I am beginning my 12th month of TTC. Anyway, I have been working for over a year on improving my physical and emotional health. I have come a long way (I was headed down the very wrong path about a year ago), but still have some ways to go. I am trying to see it as a lifestyle, or a way of living for the rest of my life, not specifically related to fertility. My main aim right now is to MOVE more!

Maybe I can also be a resource to anyone who wants to talk about food, exercise, herbs and hormones. I have read a *lot* about endocrinology and PCOS (one of my half-sisters has PCOS and I believe I am mildly insulin resistant), and also about natural and nutritional healing.

I really do believe in holistic health. It's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes!

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#22 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post

I trying to do low carb. I've always avoided fat and can't get over it. So no fat, no carbs, no meat (I'm semi-veg). What am I supposed to eat!!!??!! If I see one more piece of broccoli, I'm going to hurl.
Does the low carb thing work well for you? It has never made sense to me and I know I could never do it because I LOVE fruit and starchy carbs too. I try for variety fruit and veg (this time of year I shop for frozen and just whatever is in season, which means it is also the best deal, organic whenever possible). It also helps that I a toddler so I am trying to model good eating, and knowing I will be sharing everything with her makes me think more about my choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I will join you as well. I haven't posted here much (if at all, I think), but I might be moving over here shortly. I am beginning my 12th month of TTC. Anyway, I have been working for over a year on improving my physical and emotional health. I have come a long way (I was headed down the very wrong path about a year ago), but still have some ways to go. I am trying to see it as a lifestyle, or a way of living for the rest of my life, not specifically related to fertility. My main aim right now is to MOVE more!

Maybe I can also be a resource to anyone who wants to talk about food, exercise, herbs and hormones. I have read a *lot* about endocrinology and PCOS (one of my half-sisters has PCOS and I believe I am mildly insulin resistant), and also about natural and nutritional healing.

I really do believe in holistic health. It's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes!
Welcome to you! Sorry you have to be here and thanks for offering you wisdom and experience. Moving more is a great goal! I have been a bit intimidated by everyone else's workout routines, since I don't have one. Actually since January I have been swimming almost once a week and getting the gym a few times, since I am taking my first "one campus" course in a long time I am using the university facilities on the 2 days a week I am there. I intend to walk more with my dd, especially with the new ( to me) jogging stroller my mom just gave me.

I have just started going for acupuncture and they recommend a cleans/ elimination diet for 3 weeks. No dairy, wheat, soy, red meat etc. Leaving some grains and lots of produce, would probably be great for me but it is going to take some planning for me to be able to do it. Weaning slowly off of caffeine for starters!

Good luck everyone, write us your updates, progress and challenges!!!!!

#23 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I have been a bit intimidated by everyone else's workout routines, since I don't have one. Actually since January I have been swimming almost once a week and getting the gym a few times, since I am taking my first "one campus" course in a long time I am using the university facilities on the 2 days a week I am there. I intend to walk more with my dd, especially with the new ( to me) jogging stroller my mom just gave me.
That sounds great! i get easily intimidated, too, but I just try to remember that we can only start from where we're at. I was amazed when I looked back and realized how much I had increased my stamina since starting. Time really does fly! Do you keep a journal? That has helped me tremendously, especially when I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Another thing that helped me was finding a buddy to work out or walk with. If i was accountable to someone else (planned meeting time), then I was much less likely to bail.

In terms of foods to eat, it such an individual matter. Some people's bodies work more efficiently if they eat higher amts of protein, some do well with no dairy, etc. I think the key is to find what works for your body through trial and error. I keep a food journal, and record what I'm eating each day. I take it in spells, and will be really good for several months, then not record anything for months after that. But it's helped me see how I feel after eating certain foods. I learned that grains and beans are NOT good for me, and that higher amts of protein and healthy fats actually help me lose weight. Certain fruits are off-limits (unless combined with high protein snack), but others are ok. I have to be careful with high-sugar veg and root veg, but everything else is fine. It's been a long process, several years in the making, and I'm not done yet.
#24 of 87 Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Does the low carb thing work well for you? It has never made sense to me and I know I could never do it because I LOVE fruit and starchy carbs too. I try for variety fruit and veg (this time of year I shop for frozen and just whatever is in season, which means it is also the best deal, organic whenever possible). It also helps that I a toddler so I am trying to model good eating, and knowing I will be sharing everything with her makes me think more about my choices.

Quote:

In terms of foods to eat, it such an individual matter. Some people's bodies work more efficiently if they eat higher amts of protein, some do well with no dairy, etc. I think the key is to find what works for your body through trial and error. I keep a food journal, and record what I'm eating each day. I take it in spells, and will be really good for several months, then not record anything for months after that. But it's helped me see how I feel after eating certain foods. I learned that grains and beans are NOT good for me, and that higher amts of protein and healthy fats actually help me lose weight. Certain fruits are off-limits (unless combined with high protein snack), but others are ok. I have to be careful with high-sugar veg and root veg, but everything else is fine. It's been a long process, several years in the making, and I'm not done yet.

I agree, its all individual. I have insulin resistance PCOS and have to keep my carb levels very low and no sugars (even most fruits) or my insulin will shoot up and it can and does keep me form ovulating.

Any food allergies/intolerances will pack on the pounds for me too. So no, gluten and any grains for that matter, sugars, dairy (except for cultured butter which I can tolerate) and soy.

#25 of 87 Old 04-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Barose, how was your insulin resistance diagnosed? Did your RE do the test?

I'm reading a lot about hypoglycemia and PCOS, and it sounds like metformin might help me even if I'm not IR. I'm taking all my studies to the RE. Hope she's ready for me.

I did my first low carb shopping trip today and it was no big deal. I'm having to eat more meat than usual until I find more veg recipes without beans or rice. I'm mostly making normal foods, but will have an extra veg instead of the bread/starch side, or wil use a low carb tortilla for tacos, and of course no pasta meals. My big thing for now is no white foods (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta)

I eat a lot of sandwiches, so lunch is changing to salads, chicken salad w/ cucumbers, boca burgers, etc. Breakfast is up in the air. I usually eat oatmeal, but that is too high carb, so maybe eggs? How am I doing?

I went swimming today - such great exercise!

mom to DD 3/09
#26 of 87 Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund mom View Post
Breakfast is up in the air. I usually eat oatmeal, but that is too high carb, so maybe eggs? How am I doing?

I went swimming today - such great exercise!
Would quinoa for breakfast work for you? It's high protein (although still a carb I realize). Maybe a small serving with nuts? That is what I am considering as I prepare (mostly mentally) to do a no-wheat cleanse soon.

I have been swimming too. I am not a good swimmer so I do it by minutes, if I spend x number of minutes in the water moving my body I consider my goal met. I started with 20 minutes at the beginning of the semester (Jan) and am now up to 40.

Years ago, I read some silly article about how not to gain weight over Christmas. One line stuck with me: "Creme brulee is always available to me". Meaning that you don't have to feel like you must eat every yummy thing you see because you can have it whenever you want. Good message for those of us who eat for emotional reasons, grew up always "wanting" etc. I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

I also negotiated with my dh to go to the accupuncturist!!! I committed to losing 1 pound a week until my goal weight is met if he would just go and talk to them. He is happy to see me getting serious about it (rather than complainging AND eating).

#27 of 87 Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, this is crazy. My weight has gone UP in the last week or so, by 2 or 3 pounds. : YIKES!! Okay, this is my new rule: no eating after my dd is asleep for the night.
And a brisk walk of at least 20 minutes every day. BRISK.

What are you tweaking this week?

#28 of 87 Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Ugh. I'm in the same boat, I think. I'm sure my downfall has to do with the gobs of trail mix I've been eating. I made a yummy batch for dh (since he's been doing lots of long runs lately, and has a 1/2 marathon this weekend), but it's so yummy I keep eating it. All good stuff, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds, dried cranberries and blueberries, but I can't stop eating it!!!

My workouts have been abbreviated this week, due to crazy schedules and ds's new limits (he broke his arm over the weekend), but I'm trying to ramp up the pace on the elliptical trainer.

20 min brisk walks sounds great! Are you in a region where the weather is good?
#29 of 87 Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Okay, this is crazy. My weight has gone UP in the last week or so, by 2 or 3 pounds. : YIKES!! Okay, this is my new rule: no eating after my dd is asleep for the night.
And a brisk walk of at least 20 minutes every day. BRISK.

What are you tweaking this week?

Ooooh good rules I am cutting down on wine (I am trying to limit it to two small glasses with dinner instead of two large glasses with dinner!!) and I am going to cut my runs from 45 min to 35.

#30 of 87 Old 04-13-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Now I've got a cold, making the "going for a brisk walk" thing a bit hard to pull off, even though we've had really nice weather. :

I am starting a cleanse/elimination diet tomorrow. My accupuncturist suggested it and why am I going for treatments if I'm not going to follow through? So..... No wheat, dairy, beef, soy, corn, coffee/black tea and others. Leaving me with green tea, chicken, fruit, veg and some grains, so not a big hardship, more of a shopping and organizational challenge. I was thinking about this today, as I try to wean myself off of caffeine!!! And thinking that it would be easier if it was something like work where there is someone who may actually check up on you and where your behaviour (or lack of it) has actual consequences. And it occurred to me:

ONLY MY BODY HOLDS ME ACCOUNTABLE.

This seems really significant to me, does that make sense?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page