Ultrasound monitoring while on Clomid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just starting my first round of Clomid... My gyn wants me to come in on CD 21 for an ultrasound. What exactly is the point of having an u/s that late in the cycle? If I were concerned about the possibility of multiples, wouldn't it be too late at that point to do anything about it anyway?

Anyone have any insights for me on this one? I should have asked her at the appointment, but I was still reeling from a really insensitive comment she'd just made (another story altogether... *sigh*) and only came up with questions after we'd already left.
#2 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM

I've never had an u/s that late. Usually it's cd21 bloodwork. Can you call and ask them why they want one so late in the cycle?
#3 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend ultrasound monitoring for Clomid cycles. I'm only on 100 mg Clomid and last month, I produced SIX mature follicles and this month I produced FIVE. In April, I became anxious after CD 16 I hadn't ovulated (I ovulate on CD 14 like clockwork!) My RE brought me in to have an ultrasound and they found six huge honkin' follicles. My e2 levels were six times higher than normal so they were confident that I was going to release all six. That IUI cycle was cancelled because I had a really high risk of higher-order multiples. They vowed to monitor me earlier via ulatrsound this month. Well, I went in on CD 8 and they found 5 mature follicles. This cycle was cancelled as well.

I would try to push for a CD 11 ultrasound to check for mature follicles...and if there are only a few (2 or 3) then ask to be triggered so that the immature follicles don't have a chance to grow.
Good luck!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
#4 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM

I definitely agree with getting monitored in the first half of your cycle (still not sure why they'd want an u/s so late!). Clomid was very hard on my ovaries, and we only discovered it during an u/s in my 3rd cycle. I wish I had been monitored earlier on, since we would have discovered then that clomid just didn't work for me. My office usually does a cd1-3 u/s and a cd12 u/s.
#5 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 PM

I also have a CD3 and CD16 ultrasound with clomid. When I wasn't close to ovulating on CD16 they did another on CD19.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#6 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM

It could be that you have an ovarian cyst that they want to monitor. With clomid, I had a few cysts and did have extra monitoring to see if the size decreased after ovulation which it did. They eventually went away and were not an issue but if a cyst continues to grow, it could burst, bleed, etc and it can be serious.

Teresa
#7 of 7 Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM

You didn't specify what your dosage is, but since it's your first cycle, I'll assume it's Clomid 50...? In which case the late U/S may just be to check whether or not your body will release the mature follicle on it's own, or whether you require a trigger. I seem to recall my first Clomid cycle they did something similar, although a bit earlier than CD21. I would definitely call and ask for clarification though. If you don't ovulate on your own, CD 21 is pretty much too late to trigger and it winds up being a wasted cycle.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page