The MAY 2008 Infertility One Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 162 Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mischievium, congrats on the house! What an exciting time. I remember how stressful it is to close on a house... good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly.

As for the different doctors' opinions, wow! To me it kind of sounds like Dr. R is less concerned about your overall health and more concerned about just getting you pg... while Dr. S is following up on some things that may not matter so much for IF? I don't know.

Another example of how important it is to be your OWN health advocate, and to ask questions, stay on top of things, etc. Ah joy.
#122 of 162 Old 05-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing my first round of IVF at the moment. I just did my pregnyl injection there and will be having my eggs collected on Tuesday! I'm 25 and have had two failed IUIs in the last year and a couple of cancelled ones. The doctor recommended we do IVF because I get cysts. On Friday I had 6 good follicles which isn't a lot considering my age but hopefully they're good ones!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi!

Maeve

I'm in Ireland btw

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#123 of 162 Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Hi Maeve! Good luck with the egg collection!!!
#124 of 162 Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Hello Everyone,

May I join this thread? I've been TTC #1 since June 2008. I'm already in my 14th cycle though! (Those 26 day cycles add up.) We are currently doing very preliminary diagnostic testing, and Chinese herbs and acupuncture.

I have been lurking here since last month, anticipating my "graduation." <sigh>

I have on question about sperm analysis I hope someone can answer. Shouldn't my DH's regular doctor just be able to write him a referral for this? He called and asked for one and she said okay then we were thinking something was coming in the mail and it never did and he called back and she said I put that in two weeks ago, and he got transferred to a receptionist or someone who said yes, you need to see a urologist. He hung up confused and angry and hesitant to call back because he was in the middle of his office which he shares with about 6 people. <wow what a run on sentence back there!> That was Wednesday.

Is this crazy? Could he just go to a walk-in clinic and ask for the test? I am assuming they will give us a referral for Quest diagnostics (which is right by our house).

Thanks
#125 of 162 Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueRhino View Post
Hello Everyone,

May I join this thread? I've been TTC #1 since June 2008. I'm already in my 14th cycle though! (Those 26 day cycles add up.) We are currently doing very preliminary diagnostic testing, and Chinese herbs and acupuncture.

I have been lurking here since last month, anticipating my "graduation." <sigh>

I have on question about sperm analysis I hope someone can answer. Shouldn't my DH's regular doctor just be able to write him a referral for this? He called and asked for one and she said okay then we were thinking something was coming in the mail and it never did and he called back and she said I put that in two weeks ago, and he got transferred to a receptionist or someone who said yes, you need to see a urologist. He hung up confused and angry and hesitant to call back because he was in the middle of his office which he shares with about 6 people. <wow what a run on sentence back there!> That was Wednesday.

Is this crazy? Could he just go to a walk-in clinic and ask for the test? I am assuming they will give us a referral for Quest diagnostics (which is right by our house).

Thanks
welcome to the IF forum, sorry you have to be here

Maybe they were going to send a collection cup? I got ours for DH at my OB/gyn office, and they wrote the order for the test. We have never seen a urologist, and I'm glad. We went straight to the RE with DH's SA results and started right away with IUIs.
For us, that is what we wanted, because DH's numbers aren't so bad, just "sub-fertile" whatever that means. I guess it means they aren't worried about retrograde ejaculation, or varicocele, or something that would require seeing a urologist. I think if the SA shows something worse, they may refer to a urol.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!
#126 of 162 Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
As I said in response to your post on the TTC in Our 30s thread, comments like these make me want to print a t-shirt that says on the front: "Infertility is a Medical Condition, not a Mental Condition" and, on the back says "STOP TELLING ME TO RELAX."

Any buyers?
I will take one Stupid people and their stupid insensitive comments: can you tell i am still angry about my failed ivf?
#127 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM

Hi girls

I had seven eggs, five of which were good so just waiting to know if they fertilised!

Keep your fingers crossed please!

Maeve

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#128 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthiswork View Post
Hi girls

I had seven eggs, five of which were good so just waiting to know if they fertilised!

Keep your fingers crossed please!

Maeve
oh my gosh, that's great! Good luck!!!!
#129 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM

best of luck willthiswork!

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#130 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks girls! I'm so nervous abut tomorrow now! I think I'm just going to be nervous for the rest of my life!

#131 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been neglecting my duties as threadkeeper lately. I feel so sad for those of you who had BFN's after trying so hard with IVF and IUI's. Someone's got to have some good news to keep all our hope alive.

DH is coming to the end of his treatments (only 7 more) so taking care of him has ramped up lately. And we've been involved in a struggle with his HR dept. that taken an emotional toll on me that feels like some epic battle on a Lord of the Rings scale. Our health insurance was retroactively (to April 30th) cut off when they 'accidentally' processed him as quitting instead of going on medical leave. They didn't seem to see the urgency in getting our insurance immediately reinstated until I played my full hand and said that I hoped they could live with themselves if he died knowing that he had been denied treatment because we didn't have insurance due to their error. A little dramatic, but it did the trick.

Anyhoo, we are gearing up for IUI #2 at the end of the week. I'm on double the dose of clomid from the last try so hopefully I'll have several good eggs and one will finally stick. And I'm not testing until AT LEAST 12dpo this time!

If you made a request for an addition or change in the last few days, please repeat it and put it in bold for me. And everyone else, take a look at your notes on the front page and let me know if there are updates. Thanks!!

Kim

Mama to one, wife to an aviator, lover of a cancer survivor, graduate student, blogger and all around good person
#132 of 162 Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Hello Ladies,

I have been taking an MDC break for a couple months, but I would like to join this thread. DH and I have been ttc since April '07. My cycles are very irregular. I ovulated on day 23 this month which is the earliest since coming off birth control almost 2.5 years ago. I have booked a doctor's appointment for June 9th to start the testing and DH will be booking an appt with his doctor soon. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I really am ready to know why we haven't got pregnant and hoping it's fixable. Based on my cycles I'm thinking I have some sort of hormone imbalance. I also have very minimal (if any) ewcm. I would like to start acupuncture soon. I was hoping to get in to see the doctor in time to do the FSH test on cd 3, but the earliest I could get in is cd 4/5 - so I just missed it. Anyway, I'm glad to be joining all of you as I start this journey.

I'm not sure what to put for the intro, as I'm undiagnosed right now, but here goes:

Gillian28 TTC#1 Since April 2007 and starting fertility tests June 9th.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#133 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 AM

I went to see a therapist who specializes in reproduction/fertility issues today. I would recommend it.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#134 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Hi girls

All seven fertililsed! They have frozen three and are leaving four until tomorrow and putting the best two back! Woohoo!!!!

Maeve

#135 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
I went to see a therapist who specializes in reproduction/fertility issues today. I would recommend it.
dh and I just went to a counselor that specializes in IF yesterday as well! It went good, and I really think it is going to be a great thing. We discussed building the support network yesterday, and she gave me some good idea's on how to deal with our mothers, as they have not been good through this whole thing.... (some days I really wish that we had never even told them!!!)

Maeve - GL on the transfer tomorrow, you'll be in my thoughts!

Me: 34, DH: 36, DD born 7/25/10 After 4 years of trying and failed IVF treatments (missing my angels).  IVF/ICSI worked this time! DS born 1/8/13!

www.3hearts2hold1love-emms.blogspot.com

#136 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM

maeve good luck!

and willthiswork --- yeppy!!!!

my update is that we started the the FET process yesterday. should be doing the transfer in early July.

Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#137 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks!

Good luck with the FET Baturay!

#138 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I've been MIA for a bit.

baturay, willthiswork, and anyone else who has just had a transfer or IUI - good luck!!

Gillian28 - hi! I hope you get the answers you want... and I hope this group can help you feel supported in the mean time.

EastbayK - that's so frustrating about the insurance! I'm glad you got it sorted out.

And as for me, break's over. It's CD2, and I'm starting Femara tomorrow. So can you change my description to match the signature line? Thanks!

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#139 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM

mine needs to be updated as well to...

Grieving after failed IVF w/ ICSI attempt #1. Trying to figure out a new game plan and find a new RE who doesn't think my 27 year-old eggas are too old:
#140 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Updated to here

I think I got everyone updated!

Congrats and fingers crossed to everyone!

K

Mama to one, wife to an aviator, lover of a cancer survivor, graduate student, blogger and all around good person
#141 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM

I made a mistake! TTC since June 2007. That makes more sense, not 2008.

I am glad counseling seems to be helpful for people.

This process has put some strain on our relationship for sure. Namely, the sex on demand is getting less and less popular at my house. As my husband pointed out to me yesterday, "I am not a sperm dispensary factory!" Mean while, I feel like I need to cringe every time I say, "it's time," because I am being met with such luke warm reception. It has gotten to the point that we can't even finish half the time, something that has never been a problem, and is only an issue "when it's time." Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?

Anyway, thanks for the venting space!
#142 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueRhino View Post
Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?
Would you and he be open to him finishing on his own, either into an Instead cup or a regular cup, after which you'd use a needleless syringe to get the swimmers started on their journey?
#143 of 162 Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Not yet from his side, but definitely from my side. And if I'm not into it, it is ... uh ... logistically difficult. I've taken to reading trashy romance novels when I need to get in the mood.. side benefit is, it distracts me from my problems.

Here are a few suggestions:
- Give him the calendar as soon as you know it. So I'm telling my husband, "Every other day starting next Thursday" - that way he can plan on being in the mood and you don't have the mood killing duty sex talk right before you actually have to go do it.
- Make it a competition - who is going to seduce the other one more this time around? (Dh always wins this one, but it's usually close. And truth be told, I let him win because he is very competitive and likes winning, and I like being seduced).
- Have sex when you don't have to, at other times of the month. That way he doesn't just feel like a sperm dispensery.

Good luck, and I'd love to know what finally works for you, if anything. This is a real sore spot with me, and while I'm willing to go the cup-and-syringe route if necessary, I'd really rather avoid it.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#144 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 AM

Hi, I just wanted to at least check in this thread before the month is over. I finally had my endo appt.-it had been scheduled for months, I was just waiting and waiting for it so I could know the state of my thyroid.

The u/s showed my thyroid has gotten much smaller and is doing better. I can go ahead now and restart appts. with my ob/gyn--I plan to call today. So I'm feeling pretty good about it all.

: to everyone!
#145 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Hi - it's so great that you're managing this Eastbay - could you please change my update to IVF#3 - BFN - Consult w/o June 1 for next steps. Thanks!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#146 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Updated to here

Anyone want to the threadkeeper for June?

Blue- I know what you mean about the sperm dispensary. I have grown to hate timed BD at this point. It's a relief to have the pressure off by doing an IUI. Then I don't feel so stressed if we don't time things so right. We just try to make it through as best we can and make jokes about it like "service with a smile" and raunchy farm animal jokes.

Songbird- thanks for the new ideas. I wonder if DH would be up for a little comptetion

Perdita and Needle- Good luck on further investigation into this journey!

As for me- I went in yesterday for my day 12 ultrasound. A lot of eggs, but none larger than 15. I made a joke about " I'm not going to end up with triplets am I?", which the dr. slyly avoided. My lining was somewhat thin too. We were planning on doing the IUI this weekend, but the OPK they did there was positive so they scheduled me for today instead. This morning's OPK was clearly neg, but we went ahead with the IUI. DH and I are feeling a bit down about this cycle since we think the IUI was too early and the eggs aren't mature yet. But I'm holding out hope that sperm will live for a few days in there still. I told him we'll just have to keep at it until I have a clear temp shift. Both IUI's, the dr.'s have had trouble getting through my cervix, so I'm wondering if that's where our infertility problems lie since everything else seems to be ok.

Question- Is it normal to spot a bit after an IUI? I haven't seen any comments about it, but it's happened after both IUI's now. Last cycle was 2 days of it. Thanks!

K

#147 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastbayK View Post
Question- Is it normal to spot a bit after an IUI? I haven't seen any comments about it, but it's happened after both IUI's now. Last cycle was 2 days of it. Thanks!
Yes.
#148 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Hi

I had my day 2 transfer today. One three cell embryo and one two cell embryo. The doctor was happy with them. Are they good though?

As regards IUIs, I had spotting for about a day after.

#149 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

willthiswork - why is the transfer done so early? i'm just curious

#150 of 162 Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Its the clinic's policy. Its my first IVF so they put them back quickly. I'm in Ireland so maybe things are done differently here? Having said that some of the other clinics here go to blast for first timers but I think because of my age and I only got 7 eggs they didn't feel the need to keep em out! I hope it works :-(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page