Mothering Forum banner

JUNE 2008 IVF Cyclers!!!!!

12K views 278 replies 26 participants last post by  Seedlings 
#1 ·
Hey All!!! My name is JoAnne, and I am 37....will be 38 in July......tick tick tick tick! I will be starting my third IVF cycle in June! I am looking for other MDC ladies to share the fun

We are TTC #2 ---well sorta.....I have a 15 yo from a previous marriage, but currently dh and I suffer severe MFI, and so have no other choice but IVF w. ICSI.....but got our dd from IVF #1.....IVF #2 for a sib failed, but I was under WAY too much stress and exercising too much. Also didn't keep up with the acu and diet recs.....now I've already started acu a month ago and will transfer in the latter part of June.

~jo
37 yo, severe MFI, and eggs getting "old" IVF #3
IVF#1=dd, 15 mo old, IVF #2 BFN
15 yo ds from previous marriage

See less See more
#153 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aly22681 View Post
KFFG: OMG, someone would have DIED here.
I almost killed someone because my MIL left my Lupron out of the fridge overnight. The nurse said it would be fine, but I QUICKLY called in my refill and it should be here today, that is the one medication that I DO NOT NEED FAILING!
Ok, you about gave me a heart attack there thinking I had messed up my Lupron by not refrigerating it
. I just googled it and it doesn't need to be refrigerated, just stored below 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
I shall now return to my regular heart rate

Oh, and great news on the follicle development!

#155 ·
Ok, you about gave me a heart attack there thinking I had messed up my Lupron by not refrigerating it
. I just googled it and it doesn't need to be refrigerated, just stored below 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
I shall now return to my regular heart rate

Thankfully, they mentioned this at my teach. Even though the delivery box with the meds stated refrigeration needed all over it and was packed with ice packs, I don't need to regrigerate. However, I still do because we're rather cheap with the a/c here
and it can get above 77. Also, the temp tends to fluctuate a lot in the house so I just felt better with that. Regardless, I think the meds will be fine.

p.s. I also put my pio (I think) in the fridge for the same reasons as above. However, it does make me be careful who we are inviting over for dinner since we're not telling.

#154 ·
LisaG: When I got the package from the pharm it has REFRIGERATE written all over it in huge letters, so I paniced. HAHAHAHA Sorry to give you a heart attack too

I just got off the phone with Dori at Dr P's office, and they dropped my meds AGAIN!!! The cut me down to 75iu of Gonal-F and 75iu Repronex a day (and of course my Lupron). I guess that means good things. She said my ovaries were responding REALLY well to the meds and My e2 was 1526 today. Today is day 8
of stims for me.

#156 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
p.s. I also put my pio (I think) in the fridge for the same reasons as above. However, it does make me be careful who we are inviting over for dinner since we're not telling.

Oh yeah, surprise vial in the 'frig

Just know that cold PIO is going to be reeeaaallly hard to inject because the colder the oil is the thicker/slower moving it is. I recommend once you fill the syringe that you warm it up under your armpit or in your bra or in your mouth (I've done them all
) before you inject it. That way the oil is nice and flowy vs. thick.

#157 ·
Well today we had our follow up appointment with the RE. He said that on paper everything looked great. I responded well to the meds and had 18 mature eggs. Since 12 fertilized which was 67%, I do not need ICSI. Once fertilization occurred it was the quality of the embryos that he was concerned with. He said that with my age egg quality shouldn't be a problem, however it does seem to be. Of the 12 only one was of excellent quality. So his recommendation is for us to take the summer off. During that time he wants me to get into as best shape as I can and loose weight. He said that decreasing my BMI will increase the quality. He will also change the medications as a way to improve the quality. I am also scheduled to have a biopsy of my uterus to make sure that I don't have a condition that would complicate implantation.
It was a lot to take in, but not all hope is lost. The Dr. is very positive.
So it looks like we are on a break until the fall. At least we can try to save some money.
It is the longest break that I have been on in the past two years. it will be quite the change.

#158 ·
Oh DM630, I'm glad the Dr was so positive, I really hate that you are in this situation though. Good Luck on your break, I hope everything works out for you!

#159 ·
Quote:

hahaha. We bought our meds and then decided to wait a cycle. I have them wrapped in a boring looking plastic bag, majorly wrapped in packing tape and jammed in the back of the vegetable crisper behind the most unappealing food we have (old jam anyone?) because my whole family came to visit a couple of weeks ago. So yeah, I know what you mean! I even came up with a cover story should anyone ask (specialty ink/toner), but no one did.

#160 ·
DM630, I'm so glad to hear that your follow-up with the RE went well. That does sound like a lot to take in. That is wonderful he's so positive about things. I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing and enjoyable time off taking excellent care of yourself

#161 ·
Hope--thanks for all your kind words...you are a ray of light--hope--on this thread for sure. How is the lupron going? No headaches I hope? I always had to keep an icepack on my neck when I used lupron....miserable.

seeds--3's a charm! here's to triplets! Good luck with retrieval and enjoy your princess status while on bedrest

lisa--here's to getting started!!! no biggy about dh's antibiotic...as I'm sure you'll find out! when are you expecting retrieval now? about the fish....yes, women who are ttc and preg and breastfeeding should avoid large fish and albacore tuna, but the canned light tuna is okay as is salmon and shellfish. If I am unsure what fish is considered large fish, I look it up... http://health.discovery.com/centers/...shandpreg.html ...but I know salmon, shrimp and tuna are on the safe list and that's all I like anyway....the point I think from a chinese medicine standpoint is that fish and chicken are much more easily digested and are high quality protein, whereas red meat takes more "energy" to digest and process, "energy" which can be pulled away from the ovaries. On another note, fish and chicken are less consitpating and I don't want anything in my system to plug it up before retrieval!

Aly--20 juicy ones---you over-achiever you.....I'll bet you have type A eggs, too! My bunch is just as juicy they say, but only 8 in number......still we are on the same schedule so far!

Julia--lol sesame PIO oil in the fridge....."what's this sesame oil stuff Julia???"......."um....that a sample of stir fry oil they were giving away at Costco today...."

CRAZY--toner eh...not bat...I am impressed! What did you decide to do about your schedule???

u/s was good today, I guess....4 follies on each side which makes 8 total, those little ones will not be joining us for this cycle, apparently....they are all almost exactly the same size though, and I hear that is good....wish I had more, but higher quality is better--we'll just have to wait and find out! Retrieval is either sun or mon...I'm betting on monday though.

It's so odd how comfortable I am--physically I mean--with this cycle. This is my first cycle not using Lupron, and first using menopur. I have just as many "good" eggs as before, if not more, but I don't feel like my ovaries are going to burst, and I have been headache free since I increased by water intake. Sometimes I wonder if anything is even going on, but the RE says for sure yes....but it's strange not being in pain or constantly uncomfortable....I didn't know IVF could be this way!

~jo

How is everyone else???

#162 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfufugirl View Post
It's so odd how comfortable I am--physically I mean--with this cycle. This is my first cycle not using Lupron, and first using menopur. I have just as many "good" eggs as before, if not more, but I don't feel like my ovaries are going to burst, and I have been headache free since I increased by water intake. Sometimes I wonder if anything is even going on, but the RE says for sure yes....but it's strange not being in pain or constantly uncomfortable....I didn't know IVF could be this way!
Jo - that gives me hope! It's nice to hear that it might not be so bad. So far, the lupron and bcp's aren't bad. However, I am getting some break-thru bleeding. Since my last bcp is tonight I don't think I'll worry about it. I think my body is just anxious to get on with af, hopefully the last one for at least 9 months.

#163 ·
kungfufugirl - thanks for the link. Nice to know I can still have my favorite shrimp sushi
That makes sense that fish is easier to digest. Hadn't thought about it like that. Chinese medicine is so interesting.

Yeah, the pharmacist said no biggie with the antibiotic, although dh decided to make a trip home for it anyway. That calmed the paranoid part of me

That's great you are feeling so comfortable this cycle! Yay for a comfortable IVF process!

I had acupuncture today and it was reassuring to hear that my anxiety is probably related to the lupron and decreasing estrogen levels. I kept wondering what in the world was wrong with me and why I was having such a hard time getting grounded. Other than that, I can't say I'm feeling a whole lot going on. No hot flashes, no headaches, knock on wood, occasional head pressure. Working on trusting that everything is happening just as it should be

#164 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DM630 View Post
During that time he wants me to get into as best shape as I can and loose weight. He said that decreasing my BMI will increase the quality.
Good to hear that your RE has been positive, it is so hard to get that BFN and figure out what the heck to do next.
to you and good luck with your summer off.

I have been hearing a lot lately about high intensity interval training as the most effective way to lose weight. I feel like I should have been more on top of this myself before we started this cycle as I have always been borderline overweight with a not great BMI. Just in case you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

#165 ·
After reading a few posts about acupuncture & tcm, I was wondering how often you go to acupuncture sessions? I have been going to acupuncture weekly for 9 weeks and am wondering how much longer I can afford my new expensive habit (my insurance doesn't cover it). I've read about acupressure, but have yet to try it.

me venting: i can't believe it's june already. we're half way through the year and after 6 months of charting all i have to show and learn from it is 2 really long & quirky cycles.

#166 ·
KFFG - I want you to know just how much I appreciate the kind words, they really mean a lot to me... especially right now... the side effects of the Lupron hit yesterday, and they hit head on!! I HATE Lupron! I am exhausted - as if I haven't slept in days.... I am SOOO grumpy, taking EVERYTHING personal, even though I know it's not, and I can see what is happening, but I can't do a darn thing to stop the feelings... the things I didn't miss when I got a break from Lupron on my second try... ugh.. and the Headaches?? Oh yeah, they're back in full force... let me say it again - I HATE Lupron!!! I'm glad to hear that all is going well for you though ~ those follies are in my thoughts and prayers!

DM ~ I'm also so glad that the RE was so positive... it makes it a lot easier to accept that there is another shot!

I know I missed a lot, but I'm off to a meeting, I'll probably pop in again later!

#167 ·
Clarification Just so I don't confuse anyone. . .I found out that it's the Repronex and Follitism that I am keeping in the fridge. The PIO actually has stickers on them saying DO NOT REFRIGERATE. I really need to pay more attention. I think I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of drugs and needles in my house right now.

#168 ·
DM630, I'm so glad to hear that your follow-up with the RE went well. I hope you find joy during this nforseen waiting period.

Fastest and most fun way to lose BMI IS HIIT (high intensity interval training) or fartlek for cardio + weight training + a clean diet. It's also but your body is an awesome investment. I've also put my plas on delay and am focused on building myself into the best home possible for the next little one/ones (I'm carrying for a friend actually in case my sig throws you) It looks like we may be a later then anticipated transfer as well. Aug/september. Anyhow I lost 4! points BMI not too long ago. It was only 10lbs but like 6" off my big ol hips! just wanted to encourage you in this slightly tangent plan for the next months.

#169 ·
Quote:

I think I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of drugs and needles in my house right now.

very cute. so I hear about the amt of drugs

#170 ·
wishing everyone simply the best. I was only able to scan a page and a half
so very tired tonight!

I'm getting a notpad out next time I have a chance to visit here---until then:
:

:

:

#171 ·
Hey all...was just reading and catching up.....I am off to my u/s so maybe I will know for sure when retrieval will be when I get back.....They have been saying Sunday or Monday, but I am betting on Monday!!!

Aly--I know you have yours today too! I hope it is all wonderully EGGCITING news!!!!

~jo
day 11 of stims

#172 ·
As for me: I just a call from the Dr and I had 29 follicles this morning. I'm doing my HCG tomorrow night and ER will be 8 am on Monday! EEEEK I'm so excited!

#174 ·
Hi everybody!

KFG and Aly ~ Wow you both are so close. How great that you er should both be on Monday. Aly you are a eggmazing! That is a lot of eggies are you feeling any pain?

Dm630 ~ So glad to hear that you have a plan.

We transfered all 3 of our embies. Then my progesterone check is Monday and my beta is Friday. It is a little early since we leave for vacation on Monday.

Any fun plans for the weekend? We are going to see Chicago and The Doobie Brothers at Northerly Island (downtown Chicago) I can not think of any songs by them but I think the venue will be amazing. I was not sure if I should go but dh bought the tickets without thinking about ivf. So I have taken it easy since yesterday et and think it should be fine.

#175 ·
seeds--I would think twice before going.....Doobie brothers sounds awesome, but IVFembryos can be particularly sensitive to a lot of things....and those concerts can be REALLY loud sometimes....not to mention how it might affect your BP to be in that crowd and all that noise, and that might not be good either. JMHO--its a big risk for little benefit.

love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Aj5...eature=related

#176 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kungfufugirl View Post
seeds--I would think twice before going.....Doobie brothers sounds awesome, but IVFembryos can be particularly sensitive to a lot of things....and those concerts can be REALLY loud sometimes....not to mention how it might affect your BP to be in that crowd and all that noise, and that might not be good either. JMHO--its a big risk for little benefit.

love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Aj5...eature=related

Wow, I did not even realize that. Oh boy I'd be perfectly fine staying home. I never realized the embies would be sensitive to a concert. Wow. There is just so much I still do not know. What things are embies sensitive too? Thanks in advance.

#177 ·
I know for sure smells and magnetic fields...not exactly sure about the sounds.....but it is a hunch based on stuff I have heard and read. It may not even be the sound in particular, but the vibration.....or like I said, if your bp goes up or your temperature is really off........

It's not like a normal embie in a normal pregnancy...they are a little more fragile I think.....just a hunch.....and if the concert was something SUPER SUPER important that impacted your health, finances or well-being in some way, perhaps it would be worth a risk.....but it doesn't sound like its all that important anyway....

update on ME
trigger tonight, retrieval Sunday, transfer Thursday (if dh and I can make a good embie or 2---God willing!)

~jo

#178 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aly22681 View Post
As for me: I just a call from the Dr and I had 29 follicles this morning. I'm doing my HCG tomorrow night and ER will be 8 am on Monday! EEEEK I'm so excited!
wow! 29 wonder woman for sure! Goodluck on MOnday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.