How can you build up your lining? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
blueyezz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after my first experience with clomid and it causing my lining to be too thin (3) I'm trying to figure out what i can do to help make it thicker. I wish there was a pill or something easy I could take to do this. The first RE I ever saw said he wouldn't put me on Clomid b/c I don't bleed much to begin with and he thought it would make my lining too thin, but this new RE didn't seem to think it was an issue before she prescribed it to me. This next cycle I'm suppose to drop down to 50mg of clomid and go in for my U/S on CD10 instead of 12, but I'm really scared it will be the same way and another chance for an IUI will go down the drain. Let me know if you have any ideas. TIA

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

blueyezz4 is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 PM
 
gumby74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Wisconsin and wish I was in Madison.
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I would share my experience.....After two MC's my former OB put me on 50mg of clomid. Five cycles and two IUI's later I was still not pregnant. I was finally able to convince her that I needed to see a specialist. This new infertility doc, took me off the clomid and requested many different tests. He determined that I am missing a gene that metabolizes folic acid. One of the primary functions of folic acid is to build up the endometrium. With this situation, I should never have been placed on clomid to begin with. In order to counteract the damage done by the clomid, I was placed on mega doses of folic acid. It's been a couple of years, but I think the folic acid and the baby aspirin were the only two things that were directly related to increasing the thickness of my endometrium. I know I was also on hormone shots, but I think those had more to do with timing ovulation so we could do the IUI. In any case, one IUI and it worked. I had to continue taking the mega doses of folic acid throughout my pregnancy so that my body would not also reject the baby.

I hope some of what I said helps.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

 

gumby74 is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 07-27-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
blueyezz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
I just thought I would share my experience.....After two MC's my former OB put me on 50mg of clomid. Five cycles and two IUI's later I was still not pregnant. I was finally able to convince her that I needed to see a specialist. This new infertility doc, took me off the clomid and requested many different tests. He determined that I am missing a gene that metabolizes folic acid. One of the primary functions of folic acid is to build up the endometrium. With this situation, I should never have been placed on clomid to begin with. In order to counteract the damage done by the clomid, I was placed on mega doses of folic acid. It's been a couple of years, but I think the folic acid and the baby aspirin were the only two things that were directly related to increasing the thickness of my endometrium. I know I was also on hormone shots, but I think those had more to do with timing ovulation so we could do the IUI. In any case, one IUI and it worked. I had to continue taking the mega doses of folic acid throughout my pregnancy so that my body would not also reject the baby.

I hope some of what I said helps.
Wow!! I'm so glad that your story had a happy ending!! What test was it that they did to figure that out, do you know the name of it by any chance? I don't know too much about the drug side of IF yet, but I wonder if there is other drugs out there that will do the same thing as clomid, but doesn't thin your lining??? Anyone???? Thanks again for sharing grumby!!! Take care.

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

blueyezz4 is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM
 
FtMPapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Homesick Canuck in Western MA.
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if you can do anything about a thin lining pre-IUI/ovulation, except:

Don't take the Clomid - get Femara or move on to something else. I had lining problems on Clomid. It's a well-known side effect.

Post IUI, you can do other things, if a thin lining is generally a problem for you, these go in the can't-hurt-might-help category:

Take progesterone after the IUI - but if you're lining's at a 3, it's not going to be enough. I think you have to keep up progesterone through the first tri, until the placenta takes over. So think carefully about that, what it means, what the cost is, and whether you want to do it while pregnant.

You can look into suppositories or shots prescribed by your doctor or you can get natural progesterone creams.

Again, post-O/IUI - eat a whole, raw pineapple. Not the skin or the leaves, but eat the fruit *AND* the core. It must be uncooked, and you want to eat it over five days or so, evenly dividing the core and fruit.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
FtMPapa is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Seedlings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading that raspberry leaf tea will strengthen and build the uterine lining. I also have read that it causes uterine contractions so I would stop drinking it after ovulation.

If someone knows more about it maybe they'll let us know. I am courious too.
Seedlings is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
 
cincynana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to 2nd the red raspberry leaf and red clover leaf. Try drinking it up to ovulation. Also, I know some have had a good experience with acupuncture. I always had a great lining when I did acupuncture. Ack! Sorry you had a wasted cycle
cincynana is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
 
LiamsMommy31905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Beautiful rural Connecticut
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have problems with a thin endometrial lining. My RE puts me on progesterone suppositories a few days after O has been confirmed. Additionally, he told me to take 1 81 mg aspirin daily...this helps to make the lining more vascular and 'fluffs' it up a bit, which in turn makes it more hospitable to a fertilized egg.

GL this next cycle!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
LiamsMommy31905 is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
 
poetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take RRL tea until O and use prog. supp. for this reason too. I also bleed for only 2 days during AF and drink nettle tea (until O), take Coenzyme Q10 and royal jelly (all cycle) and use castor oil compresses (until O) to help with blood stasis and deficiency. Chinese medicine and naturopathic med. has helped me a lot. GL!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
poetgirl is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
blueyezz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what I would do without of you gals!!!! All of those things are great ideas and I feel like I can actually do them myself. I also asked my acupuncturist if there was anything I could do and she said that I should eat more coniferous (sp?) vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower and I will continue to see her too. When I spoke with the RE's office today they said I need to try one more cycle this time with 50mgs and if that didn't work I'd have to make an appt and maybe go the injection route instead. She said they could give me progesterone, but only after the IUI and I've ovulated, so I've got to get there first. I'm temped to add a baby aspirin to my vitamins, but not sure if that might be bad to do myself. It might help though b/c with AF I only bleed in clots so who knows. I'm just hoping that I'll get a BFP this month b/c this is going to get expensive, I can see it coming. Thanks again!!
ps. Can you just buy RRL tea in a normal grocery store??

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

blueyezz4 is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
blueyezz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
I take RRL tea until O and use prog. supp. for this reason too. I also bleed for only 2 days during AF and drink nettle tea (until O), take Coenzyme Q10 and royal jelly (all cycle) and use castor oil compresses (until O) to help with blood stasis and deficiency. Chinese medicine and naturopathic med. has helped me a lot. GL!
Do you make your own castor oil packs??? My acupuncturist has told me about them too, but I haven't found all the items that I'm suppose to use. I wish you could just buy a pack already made that you could re-use. Do you have any tricks or tips???

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

blueyezz4 is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM
 
poetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyezz4 View Post
Do you make your own castor oil packs??? My acupuncturist has told me about them too, but I haven't found all the items that I'm suppose to use. I wish you could just buy a pack already made that you could re-use. Do you have any tricks or tips???
A naturopath told me to do it the easy way: rub castor oil on my belly, put a towel over that and then a hot pack (from nat. store with buckwheat hulls and herbs) that I microwave goes over the towel.
Hope that helps! It's really soothing!

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
poetgirl is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 AM
 
gumby74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Wisconsin and wish I was in Madison.
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember specifically which test it was....but, I don remember it was a blood test. The doc was looking for the specific gene. Sorry, I know that wasn't much help. I agree with the other poster's about not staying with clomid if it isn't working. It's not worth the damage it can do. Besides....if you lining is too thin after one cycle, it probably means that additional cycles are only going to make the situation worse. In any case, good luck with everything. I know the expense can be rediculous at times, but if you hang in there......the reward is fabulous!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

 

gumby74 is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
 
cincynana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyezz4 View Post
It might help though b/c with AF I only bleed in clots so who knows.
Have you talked to your dr about this? I wonder if maybe you have endo? That is usually one of the symptoms of it. Not trying to cause alarm or panic, but it might be worth a discussion. Also mention to your acupuncturist and see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyezz4 View Post
Can you just buy RRL tea in a normal grocery store??
I buy mine at a grocery store. Try to get organic if you can. If not, whole foods or a natural health store will have it, too. Its very yummy and when I drink it on a regular basis, I can totally tell when af comes. Its so much nicer with less cramps and a lighter flow (and as nice as getting af can be, of course!)
cincynana is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
blueyezz4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
A naturopath told me to do it the easy way: rub castor oil on my belly, put a towel over that and then a hot pack (from nat. store with buckwheat hulls and herbs) that I microwave goes over the towel.
Hope that helps! It's really soothing!
That does sound easier than the instructions my acupt. told me to do. Do you buy any certain type of castor oil?? I should try that this coming cycle maybe. How often do you do it? Every night up until CD 1 or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
I don't remember specifically which test it was....but, I don remember it was a blood test. The doc was looking for the specific gene. Sorry, I know that wasn't much help. I agree with the other poster's about not staying with clomid if it isn't working. It's not worth the damage it can do. Besides....if you lining is too thin after one cycle, it probably means that additional cycles are only going to make the situation worse. In any case, good luck with everything. I know the expense can be rediculous at times, but if you hang in there......the reward is fabulous!
I came right out and asked the nurse if there was something else like clomid that wouldn't thin the lining and she said to just try the lower dose of clomid and we will see what happens. i'm temped to call them back and ask about Femara (sp?) instead, but i just feel like all i do is bug them and tell them how they should doctor me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynana View Post
Have you talked to your dr about this? I wonder if maybe you have endo? That is usually one of the symptoms of it. Not trying to cause alarm or panic, but it might be worth a discussion. Also mention to your acupuncturist and see what they say

I buy mine at a grocery store. Try to get organic if you can. If not, whole foods or a natural health store will have it, too. Its very yummy and when I drink it on a regular basis, I can totally tell when af comes. Its so much nicer with less cramps and a lighter flow (and as nice as getting af can be, of course!)
I have wondered about this also, but i have told my OBGYN and two different RE's and no one seems to care or be worried. This last RE said that it might just be that my uterus is tipped so the blood is pooling. that was the first explaination i'd heard. I always thought that if you have it you have heavy flow and i hardly have any (pass maybe 3-4 clots total and that is only when i go to the bathroom do they show up and the rest of the time there is pretty much nothing - sorry TMI). it is a thought though. My acupunturist also knows about it. she wanted me to take herbs but i had a bad reaction to her herbs in the past so they scare me now.


Thanks for the info....When do you start drinking the tea and when do you stop in your cycle??

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

blueyezz4 is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
 
poetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blue, I use this brand: Palma Christi Castor Oil, hexane free and certified. It's top quality and can be found at Whole Foods and prob. most nat. food stores.
On the back are "pack" directions to help, although I don't quite do what they say. Thing is you don't do it before CD1, you do it from CD1 until O. No heat on belly after O, so it won't help you exactly now, but will for future cycles. In addition to RRL tea, Nettle tea is good for building up the blood.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
poetgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off