i start accupunture tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am excited about this new possibility...and the price isn't bad...

he said people get pregnant usually within 2-3 cycles...

sounds too good to be true...

wouldn't that be nice?

i have to admit though that a part of me would like to wait until i lose more weight...and stop taking some meds i take (i am in the process of phasing them out)...

but at 36 years old, i just feel like i don't have the luxury of waiting...and need to try as hard as i can NOW....
#2 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Tandy: I wasn't able to get pregnant with the use of accpuncture, but I sure did sleep a lot better and my stress level was lowered. I also experienced what they call "healing reactions." Let's just say........my colon was never so clean as when I was getting accupuncture.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#3 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

i am excited about this but a little worried bc it was hard to communicate with him on the phone (i guess he's an authentic Traditional Chinese Medicine Pract.) which is good...i just hope we can communicate better in person...

because although he seemed to want to narrow down the reason i am coming to infertility, i would like some information on accupuncture for bipolar, weight loss, and overall health...i would like to do it for all of that each session...

does anyone know if you can handle multiple issues in one session of accupuncture?
#4 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM

i have been doing acupuncture for 8 months now... for fertility and many other problems (i.e. chronic fatigue, constant migrating joint pain, headaches, constipation, the list goes on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandy View Post

does anyone know if you can handle multiple issues in one session of accupuncture?
acupuncture treats the WHOLE person... everything is intertwined. when you are in balance your body runs smoothly.

i absolutely love it and don't remember ever feeling better. i love how they look at everything, diet and exercise included. although we haven't yet had luck with our infertility, i think we are on the right path. my acupuncturist wouldn't give a "this usually will work within :date:" but made sure to emphasise that it is a journey.

good luck!!!!

have you read Infertility Cure?
#5 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

no i haven't read it...

how often do you ladies go to a treatment?

he said 2-3 times per cycle...sounded like not enough to me...but maybe i just don't know....
#6 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 PM

I started going on late June for infertility, weight insomnia and stress (All are related to my infertility issues though) I'm not pregnant yet, but I've lost 15lbs, and I'm sleeping better and I actually like going. I went twice a week for the first cycle, and now its just once a week. My acu. thinks that if I can lose another 15lbs,, there shoudl be no reason for me to not get pregnant. My RE couldn't find a single reason for our infertility other than maybe my weight either - and Acu is far less pricey. : I'm also doing chinese herbs - I make a sort of a tea with them and drin kit twice a day - its sorta gross, but doable with a healthy dollop of honey.
#7 of 18 Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 PM

at first, my acupuncturist wanted to see me AT LEAST once a week, but after about six months he decided we had a good base and everyother week would be fine. i am also taking some herbs that he mixes acording to my needs, it's very tailored to each individual. one thing he always stresses is to listen to my body, my cravings... if the herbs he gives me taste badly or are hard to choke down i probably shouldn't be drinking it and we need to try something else. i think his point is our bodies know.

i really reccommend Infertility Cure... it's a great book!
#8 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM

I am interested to see how people's treatment varies so much. I have been doing acupuncture and herbs for about five months. I go every week. She asks to see my temperature charts and writes me a new prescription every week according to where I am in my cycle and what she thinks I need. The herbs are disgusting and it is nothing a bit of honey could even put a dent in. At first I was almost getting gag reflexes but now I am a pro! She also does not give a time frame, and I would be a little suspicious of someone telling you a certain amount of months before they even have seen you. She says she is seeing changes but so far nothing drastic such as a positive pregnancy test. GL!
#9 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
i am excited about this but a little worried bc it was hard to communicate with him on the phone (i guess he's an authentic Traditional Chinese Medicine Pract.) which is good...i just hope we can communicate better in person...

because although he seemed to want to narrow down the reason i am coming to infertility, i would like some information on accupuncture for bipolar, weight loss, and overall health...i would like to do it for all of that each session...

yes, but be careful what you ask for. I was originally going in for my gallbladder, but one day I told him I had no energy. Suddenly he stuck a needle right underneath my nose! I wanted to "discuss" it first but nope, he just put the needle in!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 18 Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 PM

how did it go?
#11 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

communication was a bit of an issue...

he wants to do it for fertility CD12-14...

this seems so different than what other people are saying...

and i don't ovulate until CD 16-20

but of course anything i could do to ovulate sooner would be of help since my cycles are still 28-30 days...usually 28...

i am unclear about how it works in the body but he said it "balances energies"

so i just decided to proceed with something for "the problem with my nervous system" (re: bipolar)....and wow. i really felt a difference...

he said to leave the pins in (just 3) until i went to bed...when i took them out i was so surprised that they were about AN INCH LONG!!!

i read online that they were about 1/4 inch so this surprised me...

i will go once a week for the bipolar (i am getting off my meds so this should help)...he wanted to see me 2x per week for that but no can do money wise so he said once was okay...if i scrape up the cash later i'll change it...

so it was interesting and pretty helpful...i was surprised to feel something right away....

it was in his house so that is why he is cheaper than average...that works for me...and there might even be a way to get a 20% discount through my insurance provider (it's not covered but their website says there should be a discount so i have an agent researching what that is about bc he didn't know)...

does it sound strange to anyone to go only on CD 12-14 for fertility???

i think that the treatment for "my nervous system" as he calls it will actually help too with fertility...it reduced my anxiety which we all know how relaxation will help us to get pregnant

so it's good,...thanks for asking...
#12 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM

The idea with acupuncture is that if one system is off balance, everything will be off balance. Like Dandelion said "acupuncture treats the WHOLE person... everything is intertwined. when you are in balance your body runs smoothly." So while I an mainly working on weight loss now, it's also helped my periods be lighter and shorter, and I've been ovulating on CD14 (instead of 16, 18, 23.. etc which is what I had been seeing) the few months since I started it. (Although I'm also doing Vitex and B6 and B12, which I assume is all helping)
#13 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Both a colleague's wife and I were lost causes. She got pregnant after one one session. I got pregnant after two. Different practitioners, cities, protocols. Years of infertility. It doesn't happen all the time, but there is a chance. Even for lost causes like myself. Good luck

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#14 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

gosh....i hope that happens to me!!!

do you mind if i ask what was the trouble with you ttc?
#15 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Hi Tandy~I had a totally blocked right tube~wasn't able to be opened despite two surgical attempts. They suspected my left tube "innards" were damaged as well. Left tube didn't matter much b/c I didn't throw eggs~even medicated~from the left ovary very often. I ovulated from the right side 9/12 cycles(I always knew what side, due to pain, swelling) before meds, IVF. I was an ovulation issue, teamed with a structural issue. I got pregnant from an eggie thrown from my right ovary. We are still in shock.

Best wishes to you~

P.S. Hers was strictly and ovulation issue, egg quality.

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#16 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Wow. I am encouraged Tandy and will see aout seeing an acu here...

All the best with the treatment, so far it sounds like it is helping you!
#17 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM

wow ann109 thanks for the success stories!!!

tandy - glad your session went so well!
#18 of 18 Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 AM

I saw an acupuncturist for years while TTC and loved it – reason for infertility was PCOS.

Quote:
Yes…the acupuncturist put a stop to my migraines. If I had congestion, sciatica or anything else bothering me she would treat that too.

Quote:
how often do you ladies go to a treatment?
he said 2-3 times per cycle...sounded like not enough to me...but maybe i just don't know....
I went a lot. I cannot remember exactly but there were times I went 2-3x’s week. I believe acupuncture, along with IVF, helped me to conceive. I had eight IVF cycles with six transfers. During the last four transfers I saw the acupuncturist and became pregnant each time, the last pregnancy being successful. Transfers without the acupuncture, I did not get pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page