Mothering Forum banner

Which direction to go?

611 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cristeen 
#1 ·
I have PCOS. 2 years ago we got pregnant on our first round of Clomid + Met (after 2 round of just Clomid). We started TTC again right after losing him 19 months ago. We did about 6 rounds of Clomid + Diet, Clomid + Met + Diet and nothing. In March I had an HSG and then we moved onto Letrozole and Menopur, which we've tried twice (the second cycle was cancelled). Since March we've only had 1 TTC cycle and one canceled cycle. I was put back on BCPs again today because the cyst that I've had for the last 8 weeks hasn't disappeared (supposedly). This doctor requires a 1 on/1 off cycle when using Menopur. But honestly, I respond really well to the low dosage of Clomid (get 1-2 follies every time), and with Menopur I wind up with lots of follies. At this point we're thinking of going back to Clomid so that we can continue to TTC each cycle rather than wasting them in this pointless back and forth (and winding up with nasty cysts which I never formed while on Clomid).

The doctor at this point is talking about moving on to IUI, but I'm not sure about that... Clomid + Met worked last time, so I'm feeling like maybe I need to go back to what I know worked, rather than moving onto something else that may screw my body up even more...

Right now we're discussing switching providers, going out of network, but we haven't decided yet.

Is this a ridiculous idea?
Has anyone done this?

Thought, ideas, suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm so sorry you lost your son. Devastating

Why did they switch you off Clomid? Because of the cancer risk? I'm far from expert, but I remember reading that there is no cancer risk if you don't do too many consecutive cycles. In other words, the Clomid builds up in your body when you do consecutive cycles and this is the risk. Having said that, my doc says no more than 6 lifetime cycles on Clomid. But I'd feel comfortable doing more than that having done my own research, and being on such a low dose.

I agree, go with what works and avoid as many drugs as possible. I'm doing clomid + IUI this cycle, first IUI, and I am scared to death of all the drugs I might need when moving on to the next step. I know they work, and IVF has a high success rate, but something about pumping the body with artificial hormones....ya know?

#3 ·
Just to clarify, an IUI doesn't involve drugs. They insert a catheter into your cervix and inject washed sperm directly into your uterus. It supposedly increases your chances of conceiving because the sperm don't have that first obstacle of the cervix to get through. I've been doing Letrazole + IUI (this is my third try with that) and it's been working better for me than Clomid (fewer side effects). I don't think that Met + Clomid + IUI would be any worse than Met + Clomid + sex - it might increase your chances, and it takes the pressure off in terms of having sex at the right times.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
Just to clarify, an IUI doesn't involve drugs. They insert a catheter into your cervix and inject washed sperm directly into your uterus. It supposedly increases your chances of conceiving because the sperm don't have that first obstacle of the cervix to get through. I've been doing Letrazole + IUI (this is my third try with that) and it's been working better for me than Clomid (fewer side effects). I don't think that Met + Clomid + IUI would be any worse than Met + Clomid + sex - it might increase your chances, and it takes the pressure off in terms of having sex at the right times.
Thank you for the explanation, I think that's what I needed to hear.

I think at this point I really just need to sit down with my doctor and discuss my choices. The drug regimen she has me on now I'm suspecting is responsible for the cyst that will not go away, since it's the first cyst I've had in 3.5 years. I really don't have a problem with IUI in theory (although DH does), my main concern is whether I'll react to it like I did with the HSG. But if I can do the IUI with the Clomid instead of the Menopure, I think I'd rather do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.