ICSI Success Stories Please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

I'll be doing my first IVF cycle this Fall, and am trying to stay positive about having to do ICSI. The whole thing just seems so strange to me. I am kind of uncomfortable with someone in a lab picking out THE one sperm that will join up with my egg that will result in a baby! Please tell me that there are happy HEALTHY babies out there that were conceived using ICSI...Share your stories please!
#2 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 AM

Things my ICSI girl said to me today

"oops, on backworbs" (shirt)
"my gumpy girl, sit couch, have cuddle" (she didn't nap today)
"I wuv you, mama".

Maybe too cutesy, but ICSI worked for us. And yes, it's weird.

Good luck to you!!!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#3 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM

My BFF has a beautiful, healthy 2-year-old via IVF/ICSI. I'm hoping for my own ICSI success story soon. Good luck to you!

DS 31/01/10, TTC #2
#4 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM

i'm almost 26wks with an icsi baby boy. he is healthy and growing perfectly.

i thought the embryologist choosing the one sperm was weird too... but, i kept reminding myself that they are choosing the very best, top grade, A#1 sperm for the job... we had unexplained infertility, so the idea that this step in the conception process was being helped along was actually a relief for us. i am 'ok' with the fact that this baby's beginnings, all aspects of them, were assisted. if not, he would not be here right now.

also, before the retrieval, and during the days between retrieval and transfer, i had a better idea who this person was, the embryologist, who was playing such an 'intimate' role in the conception of our child. he was a really nice man, and if it will make you feel better about it, ask to meet your embryologist... talk to him/her, let them know how you are feeling, and maybe like ours, s/he will talk about the process from their pov... ours really cared about our success, and we really felt he had our and our child's best interest in mind.

the r.e. gets you to the retrieval, but the embryologist is doing some pretty incredible work behind the lab doors... they are the first caretaker's in our children's beginnings. i found my thoughts turning toward him so often in those days before our transfer, hoping he was feeling well, having a good day, able to do his work as best he could...

just some thoughts...
i hope your cycle goes really well
#5 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Friends of ours have a happy, healthy set of twins from IVF/ICSI. One boy and one girl.

Loving wife to my Army man, Momma to energy.gifSammy, born 10/2009 and belly.gifexpecting #2 10/2012

#6 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM

My sweet ICSI baby is taking a nap looking adorable and peaceful.

In our case, we only had about 8 sperm to work with. So we know that my son is meant to be here. When you think about ICSI, it is kinda weird, but trust me, it is the best!!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 35 Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! I really really needed to hear some positive stories. I am soooo excited! I can't wait. :
#8 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulshine View Post
i'm almost 26wks with an icsi baby boy. he is healthy and growing perfectly.

i thought the embryologist choosing the one sperm was weird too... but, i kept reminding myself that they are choosing the very best, top grade, A#1 sperm for the job... we had unexplained infertility, so the idea that this step in the conception process was being helped along was actually a relief for us. i am 'ok' with the fact that this baby's beginnings, all aspects of them, were assisted. if not, he would not be here right now.

also, before the retrieval, and during the days between retrieval and transfer, i had a better idea who this person was, the embryologist, who was playing such an 'intimate' role in the conception of our child. he was a really nice man, and if it will make you feel better about it, ask to meet your embryologist... talk to him/her, let them know how you are feeling, and maybe like ours, s/he will talk about the process from their pov... ours really cared about our success, and we really felt he had our and our child's best interest in mind.

the r.e. gets you to the retrieval, but the embryologist is doing some pretty incredible work behind the lab doors... they are the first caretaker's in our children's beginnings. i found my thoughts turning toward him so often in those days before our transfer, hoping he was feeling well, having a good day, able to do his work as best he could...

just some thoughts...
i hope your cycle goes really well
I agree with this. Our embryologist was so sweet. He watched over our son and was proud to do so. When he came through the door with our embies on transfer day, he said "Time to go back to mama." I cried. He obviously really watched over them and cared.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#9 of 35 Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 PM

One of our IVF/ICSI babies is now four and one of the brightest kids ever. She constantly amazes and delights us.

Our other is now napping in my lap. She is a sweet, bright, incredibly healthy little thing who has brought more joy to all of our lives, big sister's included, than we ever thought possible.

Yes, one of our babes died, as you can see from my siggie, but I mention it because I simply can't talk about my children without acknowledging her. I want to assure you, though, I don't believe for a minute that her health problems (she had a severe heart condition that was incompatible with life) had anything to do with IVF/ICSI. I think it was simply the luck of the genetic draw and would have happened regardless of the circumstances of her conception. As a pp mentioned, the embyologist takes the healthiest, best looking sperm for ICSI, and then the best looking embies are transferred. Honestly, I think it gives you a better chance at a healthy babe just because abnormal components are "weeded out" early on, if that makes sense.

We still want a third babe and I would be willing to do it all over again. I can confidently say it was worth every minute of pain and heartache to bring these two amazing, perfect, healthy beings into our lives. :

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#10 of 35 Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM

thank you thank you thank you for these stories. we are about to start our IVF/ICSI cycle in October, and I am so grateful to hear these success stories. I'm so glad it has worked out for so many of you, and I hope it will work out for those of us about to embark on this journey.

I've heard ICSI babies develop a little slower because their parents never put them down! They are so extra loved and cherished that their parents never want to let them go. I think that's kind of sweet.
#11 of 35 Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM

My good friend Korin/chiromama has the wonderful and amazing Ruby Violet thanks to ICSI.

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#12 of 35 Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 AM

Another delighted ICSI mama here. It does feel werid but for us it was the only way of having a bio child. DS is very bright and engaging, no issues at all. I was also very hesitant and freaked about the entire process but once I got involved, it seemed ok.

Good luck to you!

Dena
#13 of 35 Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM

Proud Mom to our IVF/ICSI toddler. We did ICSI with IVF #2 because the RE found out with IVF #1 (which became a angel baby) my eggs have a hard shell. We met our embryologist as well and she was so sweet. I did not realize we did ICSI until after the fertilization. (We discussed it with the RE as a possible) We signed a consent for additional procedures as needed and good thing we did it worked!

Good luck to you!

: Proud mommy to a IVF miracle! (8/07)
#14 of 35 Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Another proud mama here to an ICSI toddler DD. She is wonderful, perfect, more than anything we dreamed of!:::

Yes, ICSI is weird. IVF is weird. It's just so damn bizarre. But I'm suffused with gratitude on a regular basis for it. We are MF after cancer, and would never, never be able to have a baby w/o this procedure. I'm tearing up just typing this.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#15 of 35 Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mama2...we have MF due to cancer too! What would people like us have done without IVF? Thank goodness
#16 of 35 Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks for posting this question. It's been tugging in the back of my mind forever, since we probably have IVF in our future, but I never knew how to articulate it. I kept thinking about the whole "natural selection", "survival of the fittest" thing. I never considered there were grades of sperm that could be plainly seen. Anyone know more about that?
#17 of 35 Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Thanks for posting this question. It's been tugging in the back of my mind forever, since we probably have IVF in our future, but I never knew how to articulate it. I kept thinking about the whole "natural selection", "survival of the fittest" thing. I never considered there were grades of sperm that could be plainly seen. Anyone know more about that?
In our case, it is very plain. Of about 50 million or so, my husband had 8 sperm. 8. That's it. We had to not use two of my 10 eggs because we didn't have enough sperm to fertilize them. So for us, it was plain to see the "best" sperm. We have a problem with sperm morphology (the way that they are shaped). Good luck to you! ICSI and IVF are miracles. I would not be a mother (to my husband's child) without it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#18 of 35 Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Hi Everyone-

This is my first post on any site, so glad to find a site like this. I am 27 and my DH is 30, we've been TTC for 15 months. I have slight endometriosis and DH has low sperm count, poor morphology, low motility, and small varicocele (uruologist decided not to repair surgically as it was thought it would not benefit). So far we have TTC naturally as our families kept on telling us that no one in the family has ever had a problem getting pregnant and that I must be "trying too hard". DH's family is old school from Italy and they refuse to believe the doctors that there is anything wrong with his seed. We went to a RE in Feb of 08 at my PCP's suggestion.

Last month we tried a clomid IUI cycle, very low sperm count that day.... No surprise.....neg PT. Due to DH factor our RE suggested that IUI was wasting time and money. So here we are starting IVF/ICSI. I am being supressed for one month by using birth control starting tomorrow, and then we start multiple daily injections. I feel okay about this with the exception of the progesterone oil injections. Very nervous about DH giving IM injections!!!

I am so glad to see that there are many success stories with IVF/ICSI, and that there are many happy healthy babies that have resulted from this amazing procedure. I am so grateful that there is an option for my husband and I and I am hoping for the best. Thanks to all for sharing your stories, I do not have any friends that are going through infertility (only friends who seem to get pregnant on their first try!!!) and it is nice to hear other stories and have an opportunity to talk about my situation with out people feeling pity.

We are meeting on Oct 8th wtih our RE for a consult. Previously our RE had stated that he would only transfer one embryo as the issue is with DH. I wanted to hear people's opinion on this as it seems like a lot of emotional, physical, and financial stress to only transfer one embryo! I am attending a clinic that is well known and well respected but I've never heard of an RE only transferring one. Does anyone have an experience with this or an opinion on this? I look forward to hearing all of your updates and I will keep you posted on our situation.
#19 of 35 Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Curly Sue,
I have heard of many RE's (at least in my area) only transferring one embryo if the women is young and healthy. You have pretty good odds of getting a BFP if you are only 27 years old and in good 'condition'. I am 30 and healthy, so we'll only be transferring one. If it doesn't work the first time, we might consider two for the next. Hope that helps.
#20 of 35 Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Curly Sue - did your RE give you stats in terms of what your odds are for getting pregnant with a single ET vs. odds for twins with transferring 2? That information would help me make my decision. I'd also want to know:
1. is he planning to do a Day 3 transfer or a Day 5 transfer (some clinics do Day 3 across the board, others play it by ear and prefer to do a Day 5 if the embryos look good on Day 3)

2. what are the quality of the blastocysts on the day of transfer

3. do you have any left to freeze?

If it were me, I'd be inclined to transfer 2 vs. 1 if:
it was a Day 3 transfer
embryo quality wasn't great
we weren't going to have any blastocysts to freeze for back up

#21 of 35 Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM

I am not sure if this will help but here's my story....... the very short version.

I am 40 we started the infertility process over a year ago to no avail - nothing seemed to work. In Jan. 2008 I started experiencing hotflashes... and yes early menopause had begun. (All the while and continuing forward I went to an acupuncturist to help with blood flow). For the donor egg option the clinic we used allowed an option to share the retrieved eggs with 1-2 other reicpients. It cut down on the cost tremendously.

In Feb we started to discuss donor egg options.... on June 6 (day 3 of egg fertlization) 2 eggs were implanted in me. 2 remained for potential freezing options. By the following week - the un-implanted eggs were no longer viable.
19 weeks later (which is now) I am carrying two girls - due in Feb. 2009.

Best of luck to you - it was a difficult road for us - but it was worth it!!!

Grace
#22 of 35 Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the advice pinkfriend. It's really strange when we get to make all of these possibly life changing decisions about how many embroys to transfer and so on.....when people are lucky enough to have a baby naturally whatever happens happens....when you're left with a decision to make about how many possible children it's very strange huh?!

Lisa G, I appreciate your inut we have an appt with our RE on Wed and I'm going to ask these questions. He did not give us stats on 1ETvs.2ET, that is a quesiton we will ask. But the RE did tell me that he does 3 day transfers, do you know the pros and cons of this?
#23 of 35 Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM

CurlySue - I did a brief look around with google and found a couple things that looked interesting regarding embryo vs. blastocyst transfer (Day 3 vs. Day 5):

Transcript from 3 Day vs. Blastocyst

Embryo, day three transfer versus Blastocyst

They don't agree, but I thought the information is interesting.

My experience at Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, considered to be the top IVF clinic or tied with Cornell for 1st place depending on what you read, is that they prefer a day 5 blastocyst transfer. When I was cycling the embryologist told me that when they check the embryos on Day 3, if a couple of them looked outstanding and the rest are ho hum, they would opt to do a Day 3 transfer. If on Day 3 the embryos were in a "tie" so to speak - as in several had the same number of cells and looked good, they would let them continue on until Day 5 so that they could better determine quality and select the best for transfer.

In my particular case, by Day 5 there were 8 embryos still chugging along (14 out of 20 eggs fertilized, we did not do ICSI). Out of the 8, only 1 was a blastocyst. The other 7 were morulas (pre-blastocyst). They did assisted hatching on 2 morulas and we transferred 1 blast and 2 morulas. The remaining 5 morulas were allowed to go another day and resulted in us having 5 blastocysts to freeze. The embryologist feels that I had so many morulas vs. blasts because my egg retrieval and fertilization was later in the day, so they were on track they just didn't have as many hours in as they would if they'd been fertilized in the morning.

I have heard that CCRMs Day 3 transfers compared to Day 5 transfers are almost as successful. From my brief reading of the links I mentioned it appears that the benefit of a Day 5 vs. Day 3 is that you've weeded out the ones that didn't make it past Day 3.

In our case, on Day 5 we had 7 embryos that were 6-8 cells and 7 embryos that were 4-5 cells. Assuming that the 7 went on to become part of the Day 5 crowd, we had 1 of the smaller celled ones catch up. I have heard, although I haven't researched it, that assisted hatching helps increase the success of embryos that aren't yet blastocysts when they're transferred. That's the protocol for CCRM so I would feel pretty confident that there's research to back it up.

Hope this helps!

#24 of 35 Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow LisaG... Thanks for the info! You rock! Lots to think about
#25 of 35 Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks to everyone here for posting. It helps so very much to hear these stories when going through this. it helps keep away some of the negative thoughts/feelings/worries.

Married to DH (1/07) Failed IVF with ICSI (11/08) Weight Loss surgery (06/10) 1st BFP EVER!! (9/10) Due (6/11)
#26 of 35 Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM

I know people quit replying to this thread, but I thought it would be important to keep going on this. We often think only of the negative with IVF, but there are many success stories!

I was wondering how many of you have had success with your first try?

There always seems to be someone saying something about m/c or chemical preg (which I don't even know what that means), or something not working with it...I'm one of the worst in looking for the negative to prepare myself...but it's good to know that there will/could be something glorious come out of these trials.

Realistically, I'd like to know what the chance is to have a successful IVF/ISCI on the first try. Can anyone help with this?

Married to DH (1/07) Failed IVF with ICSI (11/08) Weight Loss surgery (06/10) 1st BFP EVER!! (9/10) Due (6/11)
#27 of 35 Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Texas,

Great idea to keep this thread going! I think success depends on a number of things like what the issues were in the first place. We are dealing with male factor IF and I am young and healthy so we're hoping we are successful the first time around. Our RE said we have about a 40% chance of success which seems pretty good to me compared to the avg. success rate if you try naturally each month. I am also doing acupuncture to improve the chances of success. You should read up on the effects of acupuncture on IVf success rates and I would recommend doing it alongside the IVF to help your chances. The rest my friend, is up to the powers that be... I'm just gonna roll with the punches and trust that the best outcome will prevail.
Hope that helps!
#28 of 35 Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHopeful View Post
I know people quit replying to this thread, but I thought it would be important to keep going on this. We often think only of the negative with IVF, but there are many success stories!

I was wondering how many of you have had success with your first try?

There always seems to be someone saying something about m/c or chemical preg (which I don't even know what that means), or something not working with it...I'm one of the worst in looking for the negative to prepare myself...but it's good to know that there will/could be something glorious come out of these trials.

Realistically, I'd like to know what the chance is to have a successful IVF/ISCI on the first try. Can anyone help with this?
I was successful on the first try! I have a 17 month old trying to bite my toes as I type this. Our issue was with male factor and I was 23 and very healthy at the time of IVF. Best of luck to you!!!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#29 of 35 Old 10-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHopeful View Post
TexasHopeful,

Go check out your clinic's stats for your age group at the CDC website. Then ask your doctor how they'd modify that number, if at all. But it'll probably be somewhere between 25% and 40%.

Nationally, something like half of IVF cycles use ICSI (the CDC will have actual numbers, overall and for your clinic). It's just not exceptional at all.

My personal, perhaps somewhat glum opinion: I think that, going into IVF, you need to be prepared for the strong possibility of it not working the first time. For most couples, most of the time, you need to do 3 cycles to push the cumulative odds of getting pregnant well above 50%.

Also, you should be ready to change clinics after 2 failures -- or possibly 1, if there's anything you don't like about your experience. Knowledge and skill matter, and different clinics really are different.

My possibly encouraging, but possibly not, story: we were supposed to be a straightforward MF case. DH is missing tubing, and I had no known problems. ICSI mandatory, since we're using surgically extracted immature sperm.

After two failed cycles with crappy fertilization and crappy embryos at our local clinic when I was 33, we switched to Cornell. Massive improvements in egg quality with changed protocol, massive improvements in fertilization and embryo quality with their lab, and I got pregnant on cycle 3.

DD just turned 3 and is happy and healthy and beautiful and I get _angry_ at people who worry that ICSI causes freaks or something.

We went back to Cornell in January. At 37 I had become a full-fledged poor responder. Cycle 4 only got 3 mature eggs; failure. Cycle 5 was canceled. Cycle 6 we tried estrogen priming and got a great response. I'm currently 10w -- but I had a scary ultrasound at 7w, and there have been two low progesterone levels, one just yesterday, so I hope that things keep going.

I feel pregnant, my 9w ultrasound was normal, and there's been no spotting at all, so I'm trying to stay hopeful.

Sorry if I've been ranting; I know it's all so overwhelming at the beginning. I think my moral is that it can all turn out well even if you hit more bumps on the road from this point -- where the road already seems pretty rough.

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
#30 of 35 Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks so much for all of your inputs...please lets keep it coming. I think the general rates of success with our RE is between 30-60% (ARTS says 50%, RE said 60%) since I am 26 and healthy (for the most part) and since it is MF. I guess all we can do is keep positive thoughts, and as Pink put it before, leave it up to the powers that be.

Emma, I will keep you in my thoughts. Baby wishes!!! I hope all goes well.

Nummies - thank you for sharing! It is nice to know that it is possible to happen on the first try! Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page