tell me all about SA! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wanting Dh to get a SA. We've been TTC for almost 2yrs with a m/c 14m ago. Dh has a dx of a varicocele and was told it could cause fertility issues. This was shortly before our m/c, so I've mentally put it off, thinking if I got pg once it shouldn't be too big an issue.

What's the easiest way to get a SA and anything special I need to know? Also, who do we need to go through? my OB or the MD Dh saw once to dx his varicocele. I know Dh won't take time off work to deal with this. Can you just drop the swimmers off at a lab and get a call for the results? Would the MD want an appointment to discuss the results?

TIA

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at our hospital, the guy could go in and leave a sample at the lab before work or whatever, or the sample could be dropped off right after a home collection. no lube of any kind when procuring the sample.
then, our hcp called a few days later with the results, which she shared right over the phone.

i would imagine you could ask for a SA thru your own ob or the varicocele-dx dr... they will tell you which lab/office to go thru. it really shouldn't be too time consuming to accomplish.

best wishes to you.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM

The SA can be so enlightning with so little effort. So like soulshine says, you can have your OB or his urologist order it. Good luck

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM

Do you see an RE? My dh has had all of his SA's done at the lab at my RE's office. You would definitely need an appointment b/c it has to be looked at within a certain amount of time (under 30 mins, I believe) Or you can do a SA with an urologist. If you think he has a varicocele, I would probably go the urologist route, especially if your urologist deals with male infertility. Most RE's don't have a clue about male infertility. I wish we would have seen an urologist sooner than we did. We would have probably saved a lot of $$$

Varicoceles can get worse over time. We know dh had one before I became pg with our dd. We don't know what his counts were at that time. I found out I was pg the day before his SA was scheduled. But we've been ttc #2 for 3 yrs and we've seen the numbers drop in that time.

If you see an urologist, he will most likely want to have several appointments. My dh saw an urologist and he preformed a physical and did blood work. He didn't have to do a SA b/c we had so many from our RE from all of the iui's and ivf we did, plus several complete SA's. The urologist found a lump, so dh had to go back for an u/s (which was clear!) My dh had an embolization done, so he can go for another SA after Saturday since its been 3 months and we'll meet with the urologist to go over those results.

I wish you luck. It was hard to get my dh to go, too, especially since we had our dd and thought I was the only one with the fertility problems. I wish we would have gone much sooner b/c we spent so much $ on iui's that were probably never going to work, not to mention the time we've wasted and we're not exactly young (by fertility standards!) anymore.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks guys.

Good to know it can be done with little effort on his part. I want this done more than he does. He would like another dc, but doesn't want to go to much effort and would be content if we only have dd. I would really like another dc, but don't want to waste more time and $ for further testing for me, until I know what the sperm are up to! (hence no RE for me) But I have my yearly next week, and was hoping I could just ask my OB to order the SA.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 10-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Great idea. Your OB can definantly order that!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM

My OB ordered the first one. When the results came back, he sent us to a urologist, who met with my husband and then ordered a second SA, along with some blood work and an ultrasound, and eventually the third SA.

Our insurance covered it, but we had to go through the lab at one of the local hospitals to do it-which meant having to give the sample there at the hospital, rather than at home, in order to make sure it was received and processed in the time limit.

My DH put it off, and put it off, and put it off. I did all the phone calls and set the appointments....otherwise I think we'd still be waiting.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:01 PM

I work at a fertility clinic and, while men do need an appointment, they can do the SA without a prescription. The embryologist gives them the results over the phone the next day or so. Where I work, it's 150$. Since he has varicoceles, he should probably make an appointment with a urologist AFTER he did the SA, as the first meeting is usually just to give a prescription for a SA and a testicular ultrasound.

Usually, the difference between the hospital and a fertility clinic is those neat little rooms to make the sample as opposed to the bathroom or whatever and getting the results promptly and having them explained properly.

And, yes, it is usually the woman who makes the appointment and the man who calls back 3 or 4 times to reschedule.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM

FWIW: We had the SA done, basic form my ob's office. Went on later to find out they did not test morphology(ability of sperm to penetrate egg), which ended up being a big issue.

Make sure you get a SACM~semen analysis, critical morphology. We got the results over the phone. DH went in only once.

Good luck

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)

User Tag List