Low Thyroid fix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies, I wanted to share with you all how I have been able to take care of my thyroid.
I have had two miscarriages since my husband and I got married.
I have displayed every symptom of a low thyroid.
In the last few months we have made a switch to a Nourishing Tradtions way of eating, and in my research, I discovered how Natural doctors treat low thyroid.
I followed the advice and am happy to report my hormones have straightened out.
We now have hope to actually get pregnant and make it all the way through.

So, here is what I take.
Maca Root, which addresses the needs of the Thyroid and Adrenal Cortex.
A low dose of Iodine.
My basal temp went from 97.2 pre ovulatory, to 98.5 within ten days of starting the Maca root in conjunction with the Iodine.
My cycles are now normal as well.

Maca Root powder can be purchased from www.azurestandard.com for $14 per pound. You only take 1/4 tsp per day.
Iodine can be purchased at your local herb/health food store.

I also take a full dose of High Vitamin Cod Live Oil with High Vitamin Butter Oil ( butter oil cures cavities), from www.greenpasture.org.

All in all, I no longer have any of the problems that are indicative of a low thyroid.

Paula in Alaska

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM

This is great info! thanks!
blood tests show my thyroid hormones are in the normal range, but on the low side of normal. When I look at the symptoms of hypothyroidism, I would say I may be affected by this. I'm not interested in going to the dr for prescriptions for this. So this info is great. I've taken maca before (straight powder in juice...nasty tasting I must admit), but had stopped for some reason. I think it's time to pull it out again. I find it fascinating that your temps changed...time for an experiment I think, see if it works for me too.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#3 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Its important when taking Maca, to also take Ioderal, which is the iodine and iodene blend.
The average Japanese takes in 50,000 mcg per day, where as in the US we get about zero.
THe FDA recommends only 500 mcg for some reason.
I also take high vitamin cod liver oil/high vitamin butter oil as well.
Take some time to read through what www.westonaprice.org research has found.
Lots of raw milk, butter, real lard, farm fresh eggs, fish etc., play a huge role in healthy conception and pregnancy.
I NEVER eat anything that is genetically modified, and will only eat a soy product that is properly fermented, ie., tofu and nato.
Soy is a huge thyroid depressor
My husband and I are actually giving classes in our home on Nourishing Traditions.
I will devote a class or two to the hormones and natural healing at some point.

#4 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM

So how much Ioderol is the right dosage? I get a little worried about taking too much considering I am on a pretty high dose of synthroid and my TSH is VERY low. I would love to gradually come off the medication. How much do you think someone like me should start with?

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#5 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

My TSH went from 9.6 to 5.4 by me doing all natural things --- I am still trying to get that number lower (in the 2 range) naturally -- some things I have done --

Stopped brushing with flouride toothpaste and trying to avoid flouride treated water -- flouride has been known to interrupt thyroid function

Avoid soy products except fermented soy like miso, tempeh -- also known to interrupt thyroid function

work on adrenals -- manage stress, manage stress, manage stress (I cannot stress that enough!)

High doses of sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) in conjunction with super B complex (stress and metabolism regulation), good clean multi vitamin, red raspberry leaf and women's liberty tea (to regulate cycles, attain hormonal balance)

Also, heat applied to the thyroid gland for 20 minutes in the am has been shown to stimulate the thyroid producing hormone naturally --

Losing weight helped -- heavily salting foods (not to a crazy degree but more than typical) this helps adrenals too....

hth
#6 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

If you are taking a synthyroid, I know you do not want to go all out on the iodine right off. You will put your thyroid into shock.
You can however do the full dose of Maca right off the bat.
The Ioderal has 12.5 mg per dose. You can cut the tablet up to take a smaller dose at first. Maybe fourths?
I would just start with the Maca root for a month or so, and see what adjustments need to be made in the synthyroid first. Then start working your way up to a full dose of Ioderal.
Someone that is very knowledgable on this subject can be found at this website. www.cheeseslave.com
She has several sections in her blog dealing with the adrenal cortex and the thyroid. I glean lots from her, and have benefited greatly.

My husband and I no longer use regular toothpaste. 2 tbls of baking powder with 1/3 tsp Celtic Sea salt and 5 drops of peppermint. Removed all my plaque buildup, and I am not suppressing my thyroid either.
Same with mouthwash. Bad stuff.
I guess flax also is a thyroid depressor, so I am avoiding that as well.

Paula
www.steveandpaularunyan.blogspot.com

#7 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 AM

I haven't used flouridated toothpaste in quite a long time and I don't use mouthwash (other than occassional use of hydrogen peroxide). I have read a lot about hypothyroidism since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 7 years ago, but this was the first I'd heard of maca root. I'm excited to give it try. My next blood draw is next month so it will be perfect timing to see if it is helping. Thanks for the info. Is flax oil a thyroid depressor? If it is I will be so sad!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#8 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 AM

This is great info. I have just started charting and just read the part in Katie singers book about low temps and Hypothyroid. Well I am only into my cycle like for 10 days and most of my temps are low! Came here to see what any of the wise mama's are saying.

Thanks

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#9 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamapits View Post
This is great info. I have just started charting and just read the part in Katie singers book about low temps and Hypothyroid. Well I am only into my cycle like for 10 days and most of my temps are low! Came here to see what any of the wise mama's are saying.

How low are your temps? I haven't read TCOYF in awhile, but from what I remember, she said preovulatory temps below 97.0 could be indicative of hypothyroid.

#10 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Okay, I did some reading and I found flax oil and the lignans contained in the oil break down into phytoestrogens during digestion. I just want to make sure I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I don't consume THAT much flax oil (just a little salad dressing). There are many other foods that are goitrogens (like kale and broccoli) that are still safe to consume in moderate amounts. I don't eat soy based foods as I'm not a veggie and can get protein from animal sources. Is it really necessary for me to cut out the small amount of flax oil I consume to save my thyroid?

I ordered the maca, high vitamin cod liver oil and the butter oil. I'm excited to give it a try. When I was diagnosed 7 years ago I had a TSH of 153 and was sleeping 17 hours a day. It all occurred during my second pregnacy after a year of many deaths in my immediate family. I believe the main cause of my problem stemmed from the stress and adrenal exhaustion that year caused. I appreciate all this info. I'm always happy to get new information regarding the health of my thyroid. It seems to be constant battle!

#11 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
How low are your temps? I haven't read TCOYF in awhile, but from what I remember, she said preovulatory temps below 97.0 could be indicative of hypothyroid.
Between 97.0 and 97.5. Only 1 is above 97.5.

In garden of fertility Katie Singer says anything below 97.5 is considered low

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#12 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM

Hmmm..I got pregnant last time with preovulatory temps that were below 97.5but above 96.9). It took seven months but it did happen. My post went up high and even higher (over 99.1) when pregnant. I looked in my TCOYF book and it did say normal preovulatory temps are between 97.0 and 97.5. Some other sources on the web say 97.0-97.6 so it doesn't sound like your temps are too low. Maybe the maca and the iodine will help raise your temps. It seemed to really help PaulaJoAnne's temps! Good luck

#13 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM

should I take the Maca every day, or pre-ovulation or post ovulation or not when I am on my moon?

I think I have low progesterone levels as well. I think the Maca is good for that

#14 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM

In PaulaJoAnne's original post she says to take a 1/4 teaspoon a day. She left a link to the store. It is organic, which I love, and it was around $15.00 a pound. It ended up being around $22.00 with shipping and handling, but a pound should last a long time. She also states above to take it with ioderal but because I am on thyroid replacement, I have to be carefule with that. If you aren't, go for it!

#15 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot stress more how important Nutrient dense foods help the body.
www.westonaprice.org and Nourishing Traditions should become standard in everyones home.
I take a full amount of Maca and Iodine, and will continue to do so until my thyroid and adrenals are healed. It can take many months.
Then I will lower the doses gradually to find my perfect maintainance amount.
Along with those two things, I eat lots of the following.
Eggs, Butter, Real Lard, Wild Game (Pasture fed beef is a good sub), Wild caught Fish and Roe. I also eat the following foods. Sourdough Bread, Whole grains properly soaked, Lacto-Fermented Veges, Honey for sweetner, Kombucha, Kefir and LOTS of Raw milk.
All of these foods ensure a very healthy body and will ensure a healthy pregnancy.
Watch for a new thread on how eating lots of butter and raw milk and taking cod liver oil during pregnancy actually prevents all dental deformities.
We take braces and cavities for granted in childern today. 100 plus years ago, both were nearly non existant.

#16 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
I cannot stress more how important Nutrient dense foods help the body.
www.westonaprice.org and Nourishing Traditions should become standard in everyones home.
I take a full amount of Maca and Iodine, and will continue to do so until my thyroid and adrenals are healed. It can take many months.
Then I will lower the doses gradually to find my perfect maintainance amount.
Along with those two things, I eat lots of the following.
Eggs, Butter, Real Lard, Wild Game (Pasture fed beef is a good sub), Wild caught Fish and Roe. I also eat the following foods. Sourdough Bread, Whole grains properly soaked, Lacto-Fermented Veges, Honey for sweetner, Kombucha, Kefir and LOTS of Raw milk.
All of these foods ensure a very healthy body and will ensure a healthy pregnancy.
Watch for a new thread on how eating lots of butter and raw milk and taking cod liver oil during pregnancy actually prevents all dental deformities.
We take braces and cavities for granted in childern today. 100 plus years ago, both were nearly non existant.
I have Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. I have had it a long time and have gleaned very much from it. I also like The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. Have you read that one? I only eat real butter and ghee. I love raw milk adn I eat eggs everyday! I stay away from wheat as I have a gluten sensitivity, not intolerant, but I just do better without it. Thanks for all the info. One more thought...how did you come across the products you listed above and what made you choose them. I'm particularly curious about the green pasture site. How do you know their cod oil is low in mercury and pcb's and other icky things?

#17 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 PM

There are MACA pills too!!!!.....is easier to having them.....smell horrible ..... 2 pills a day....both together every morning with a natural fruit juice..... a couple of friends use them because he has low sperm count, they just start one month ago and they find out a few changes, mainly one that they feel better and sex hehehe powered. So hubby bought a glass for him, lol, he doesnt have any problem, Doctor say he is semental, I am the one that I am not ovulating sometimes .

The cost in my country is pretty cheap, around 8 american dollars 60 pills. It has lots of properties. I can't talk about results yet, he had been having them por 1 week only and now is away from home. But is natural son I think that at least we need 3 o 4 months before start talking about results. He said he will bring my glass at the end of the month.

Victorian Patch
*** thinking positive help my dreams come true ***
#18 of 20 Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewoman View Post
I have Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. I have had it a long time and have gleaned very much from it. I also like The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. Have you read that one? I only eat real butter and ghee. I love raw milk adn I eat eggs everyday! I stay away from wheat as I have a gluten sensitivity, not intolerant, but I just do better without it. Thanks for all the info. One more thought...how did you come across the products you listed above and what made you choose them. I'm particularly curious about the green pasture site. How do you know their cod oil is low in mercury and pcb's and other icky things?

All these products are highly recomended by the Weston a Price Foundation.
They have been tested and proven.

Eating a diet rich in animal fat and proteins protects against heavy metals being stored by the body.
Also, cod has a low to moderate incidence of mercury.
I am not aware of any problems in regards to taking high vitamin cod liver oil.
Its the cheap stuff that has very little vitamins in them that I would tend avoid. The way Carlson makes their clo is awful.
Cooked, and then they add "vitamins" back in. In the wrong dose to boot.

Dr. Ron at www.drron.com is the doctor that formulated all the Blue Ice sups.
Check his site out. He has LOTS of info and product available. And he gives better service when ordering, I discovered.

#19 of 20 Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Found this in a search...wondering how the mamas treating low thyroid naturally are doing? Have you tried anything that wasn't mentioned back in '08?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#20 of 20 Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The infertility clinic where I went only for the tests, found out my thyroid was low (high TSH, low T4) and my progestrone was low. They told me that because of my thyroid, the progesterone was low. And because of this, I have to take synthetic thyroids and otherwise I'd NEVER conceive. I was against taking synthetic thyroid... my body always reacted badly with allopathic medicines and I didn't want to go over that route. 

But my naturopath said it was otherwise..  Apparently my low progesterone was driving my thyroid to go even lower.  (my naturopath and I) treated harmone imbalance with certain herbal tinctures (dong quai and some other herbs etc ) and homeopathic meds by Dr.Reckeweg and Unda).. and we treated the thyroid with standardized ashwagandha and also some homeopathic medicines by Dr. Reckeweg / Unda and a particular product by Genestra.. 

As soon as I got pregnant with this combination, we stopped the ashwagandha extract, all herbal tinctures and now I only take homeopathic drops by Dr.Reckeweg and Unda along with the genestra product for thyroid. 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant

User Tag List