Mothering Forum banner

precipitous birth

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  onetwoten 
#1 ·
So does anyone else have experience with these? My first was 8 hours, 2 hrs of pushing no problem. Second (9yrs later) was 3 1/2 hours, 3 pushes. Third (2yrs after that) was 45 minutes from first contraction to birth, 2 pushes. He was stillborn and face first presentation, all of which are supposed to slow things down.

I am terrified of this birth. I realize every one is different, but I seem to have a history of really fast births. If this one takes after the last, I may birth this kid before I can say "I'm in labor!" I know that it is going to hurt like nothing else in life. Mostly I'm worried about the baby. It just can't be good to be born that fast. Don't know what to do about it, though. If my stillborn was that fast and a live baby is supposed to be faster,.................I just don't know. At least I don't seem to have any physical problems with them. Nothing beyond a few surface tears, heal up fast.

#2 ·
The births do often get shorter and there isn't much to be done about the length of your labor. It is completely normal for you to be concerned, considering the outcome of your last birth, so I don't know what can alleviate that concern for you except to try to separate the two experiences. Perhaps read the many, many other stories of fast births with a live baby so that you can truly accept that they aren't related.

#3 ·
Have you tried hypnobirthing for the anxiety and fear? It's completely understandable but may help you you bring the fears we all try to avoid facing to light and to help get past them to cope easier. I loved my hypnobirthing experiences and had no pain. Intense pressure, yes, but no pain. My first birth was 9 hrs, 11 mins of pushing.. Second was 2.5 hrs of labour and 9 mins of pushing. I'm assuming this one may be quick for me too.

#4 ·
My first birth was a very quick to start but long labor- I woke up in labor with cxns 4 minutes apart and 45 seconds long. But it lasted 14.5 hours and I pushed for almost 2.5.

With my second, I was hoping for shorter, "aiming" for like 6-7 hours lol. I went to bed at 10pm with not a single contraction in sight, no real pre labor, nothing. I woke up at 3am with one monster contraction. I did manage to go back to sleep in between them thoug until about 4am when I finally got out of bed. We started gathering birth stuff, bringing the pool upstairs etc, and at 430 I called my midwife to let her know I was in labor. She asked if she should be calling the second midwife to put them on alert, and I said I didn't think so, wasn't sure.

I literally got off the phone, got up off the birthing ball to grab a glass of water. Halfway through pouring, another contraction started and I realized My body was completely involuntary pushing. It took me two very quick back to back cxns to figure out how to lay down on the floor so I could take my pants off, and then two more to completely deliver him. He was like less than ten minutes after I got off the phone with my midwife to initially tell her I was in early labor. The entire labor was 1 hour 44 minutes, but I was only out of bed and awake for like 45 minutes of it...

Baby was completely fine. Midwife reassured us afterwards and said no everything looked great, and that usually babies don't come that fast if there's something wrong. The only effects we had were that he was in a bit of shock and didn't want to nurse at all for the first day. He was 28 hours old the first time he truly nursed, which had me in a frenzy. I really can't think of any other side effects. I did tear a bit, but it was minor enough that I opted not to ha e it stitched.

Oh, wait. We did discover when he was about 9 weeks old that baby had rocketed trough the birth canal so fast that his poor skull was really out of alignment. It was actually overlapping in one place. A couple sessions of chiro though and he was well on his way. I would really recommend chiro for any fast or difficult labours.

I'm apprehensive to see what this labor will bring. People often say your third is your wild card birth. I don't want the 45 minutes of active labor, but I also don't want another 14 hour labor. I'm intimidated thinking of the unknowns of it.

#5 ·
Labor time sometimes does get shorter with every baby, but not always! Labor time depends on so many things: baby's position, pelvis and soft tissues (ligaments, fascia, muscles) - if they are tight or twisted, it can be harder for baby to navigate through the pelvis, mom's emotional state, how much cervix is dilated before labor, and many others that may be unknown. It's important to remember that every pregnancy, every birth, every baby is different! I would recommend looking into birthing at home though so you wouldn't be at risk of birthing in a car, but I recommend that for everyone :)

#6 ·
I didn't know number 3 is a wild card. I am hoping for a faster labor. I do not go quick. Though once it is time to push it feels just like it takes 3 pushes and 15 minutes to get them out. I just want labor to start on its own this go around since i had trouble last time and had to have natural induction. Thankfully it worked and i had dd 14 hours after they broke my water. I would love to have a faster labor. But dd did come quicker than ds where i first notice contractions at 4am but didnt have him until 36 hours later and that was with pitocin at the last 6 hours. I was 11 days overdue with and 8 days overdue with dd

#7 ·
My first labor lasted 13 hours total, but from transition to birth was super fast. A few minutes of transition and the pushed him out in under 10 minutes. I didn't have any control over it. It was kind of a shock for sure. I was also given an episiotomy without my knowledge and my healing was rough. My worst fear is that this birth will be even faster and that I will tear badly. So I am glad to hear that you didn't have much trouble with that.

I have started to read birth stories of fast births, and I have been researching birthing positions and techniques to both slow baby down and avoid tearing. Other than that I will just try to be calm and prepared for whatever.

#9 ·
I'm not sure I even have transition. It's lots of painful contractions and then, suddenly, painful pushing for a minute or two. I must, but I don't notice it. I always end up birthing leaning forward over the tub, close to an all fours position. I have no idea, why, but that's how it always ends up. I was reading the other day that having your husband in the room slows down birth, as well as a few other factors, all of which have always been present at my births. I told my husband that maybe I should borrow somebody else's husband and see if that worked better to slow things down. I'm almost prepared to have a room full of strangers gawking at me if I knew for sure it would slow things up a bit. :)

#8 ·
My second was four hours total, the whole thing very intense, and like about a minute of "pushing" which was really just her coming and me wishing she'd slow down ;) BUT I will say my water had broken over 24 hours earlier and I'd been hiking a lot. She was good and ready. No interventions what so ever, and I was really stubborn about letting her come on her terms... that, I think, is why she came so darn quickly!

#10 ·
Hi there, i haven't introduced myself yet but wanted to comment here. My last 2 births were very fast. Ds2 was 1hr 15 mins from first contraction to placenta being born. My last birth was 15 mins from beginning to end also although placenta took a little longer. It was a beautiful birth, my last 2 were unassisted home births. Peaceful and empowering although not intentionally unassisted. This will also be a home birth and i wonder hiw fast it is going to be. Like your i went straight into incredibly intense contractions and then needing to push. With my last i had 2 contractions then pushed 3 times and she was born in the caul :) both of those babies were also 9lb10 and at least 9 days over due. I hope it goes well for you, for all of us. Hugs x

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.