Should I have my Mirena removed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on the fence. I've had it for about 5 months. The first 4 months I spotted every day but that seems to be gone now, yay! During the second month I developed extreme mood swings. Now I have cramping on and off. I'm increasingly depressed because I've gained weight and t's given me acne. Possibly headaches now? Last month I checked the strings and must have given it the tinyest tug and the thing gave me awful cramps for a few days! That scares me!

Do you think these symptoms will lessen with time? Should I just wait it out?

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM

I had my Mirena for a little over 2 years. After the spotting went away ~2 months, I thought it was great. I always kind of felt it inside of me, dh never complained about it. I was still nursing dd and actually didn't have a real af until I night weaned her ~March of this year. I will have a af every month like clock work with only mild cramping. But the PMS is horrible. Extreme mood swings, acne, crying spells, nausea, dizzyness, and headaches (possibly migranes). Then it seemed like the PMS got to be all month long. I was so short tempered with my family it was not good. Then after poking around on the internet I found MANY women having the same problems as me, and it sounds like you too. I remembered when I was on BCP when younger and I had horrible mood swings very similar to when I was on the Mirena. So just last Thursday I had it removed. I made the appointment only on Monday and demanded the very first appointment available bc I wanted it out that bad.
I feel a lot better now that it is out. I will never have any sort of hormonal bc in my body again. I did have a couple of rough days after removal. Just a really tired feeling, headache, blah, and kinda nauseated too. I felt like I had a hang over. Feeling pretty good today. The only thing I miss is that I didn't have to consciously think about birth control. Today I went out and bought a box of condoms, ho hum.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM

I had the same issues with mine as pp! I had mine for 3.5 years and finally got rid of it 5 months ago! I thought I was going crazy with problems that were all in my head, but now that its gone so are the problems! It felt like I was PMSing every single day. It got worse with time, not better at all.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#4 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

#5 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Yikes, that's scary. I was planning to get a Mirena after this baby. Now I am reconsidering. :

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Several of my friends have reported the same issues! They all ended up getting it removed at some point.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 7 Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Of course as soon as I said that the bleeding came back! Ack! It seems like I'm having extreme PMS followed by a light AF every two weeks now. Not fun. I am going to have it removed asap.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page