Fertility and Nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-29-2003, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nursing Tori but Earl does give her an occasional bottle of expressed milk when I go to the gym or need some sleep. Also she sleeps pretty much 6 hours at night so she doesnt feed as much as most babies at night. I am already having cramps and bloating so I am getting worried about my fertility returning. My NFP class was rescheduled for Jan. and I dont remember how to check that kind of thing.

Also we did have sex after my six week check up and I worry constantly that I am pg because I dont want to be so soon after Tori was born. How would I know for sure?
#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2003, 12:38 AM

Hi Sumlagirl,

One way to "know for sure" is to look at a chart. If you have not started yet, then begin jotting down daily notes of your cervical fluid. Do you know how to check your cervix? This can be helpful, too. Sorry to hear your class was postponed. You can proably call your local NFP instructor for a quick "review" of what to look for. In the mean time, there are some great NFP primers online. Please browse through this topic for past posts which cover the basics. There are direct links within the posts.

From your PMS-type descriptions, it sounds like your menstrual cycle may be returning. Most women experience a warning period as their bodies become fertile again; however, there is a small likelihood that you could become pregant without a warning period. Just so you know. Some folks are super fertile! Without knowing exactly how often you nurse Toni during the day, or seeing your charts, I cannot make a bonafide call on this...but, if Toni is sleeping at night as you say, then you're probably not breastfeeding frequently enough to experience LAM - lactational amennoreah(sp?). I'd say your fertility is returning.

Check out the posts on LAM and ask your NFP instructor about ecological breastfeeding. You can postpone pregnancy by breastfeding, but frequent, on demand suckling is key (nighttime nursing and pacifier use are other factors).

Kippley's book is THE best resource. Here is a quick link to the book on Amazon, and it's chock full of reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Good luck,
Palmetto
#3 of 3 Old 12-07-2003, 02:48 AM
XM

FWIW, every few weeks I feel kinda PMSy, but AF has yet to return. I wonder if I started charting it, if it would correspond with the resumption of my cycle? I keep thinking, 'okay, this is the month'... but so far, so good. Although it's freaky having no idea if/when I am ovulating!

DS is 6 months old and while he does eat some solids every day, he still gets the majority of his nutrition from me.

XM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page