Are many women allergic to condoms? How do you know if you are? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM

I am allergic to latex, if that's what you mean. I actually figured it out in junior high when I blew up a car-full of latex balloons for a friend's birthday. My lips and fingers swelled up and were insanely itchy. I've since had similar reactions with latex gloves, rubber bands, those rubber tourniquet thingies they tie on your arm when you give blood, and with latex condoms. They all make me itchy and inflamed, so I don't play with fire and avoid latex whenever possible now.

Does this help?

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Latex allergy. I figured it out when my labia swelled up like oranges. I have the same reaction as the pp to latex gloves and all other thing latex.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 AM

i don't have a severe allergy yet. however, with continued latex use you can build an allergy. if i use latex condoms my labia is itchy for a few days and it burns if urine touches anywhere on my labia.
#5 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 PM

I am to both the latex and the non-latex polyurethane ones. The same thing happens inside as outside- bleeding slit-shaped eruptions and itchiness. I am being treated for a chronic illness, and in-so-doing, my liver and adrenals are being strengthened. I've since not had this happen to my hands when I unknowingly grab something with an elastic, or when a child came up and put a balloon on my cheek, unexpectedly. My peanut allergy is far less severe too; instead of near complete anaphylaxis, my sinuses swell a bit and my throat does too, but only enough to feel sore with no air blockage.

I have a stronger reaction to polyurethane currently (almost impossible to avoid unless I never leave our cabin!). It exhausts me in addition to the skin reactions.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#6 of 9 Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yes that helps a lot, thank you!
#7 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 AM

I am not allergic to condoms (latex) but I am to spermicide that is on some of them.
Same as the PP's itching and pretty severe swelling.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#8 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 03:03 AM

I'm allergic to the spermacide too - wow was that ever fun to figure out. I think I am also slightly allergic to latex too bc we tried the condoms without spermacide and I had a milder reaction but still not fun.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#9 of 9 Old 12-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
I'm allergic to the spermacide too - wow was that ever fun to figure out. I think I am also slightly allergic to latex too bc we tried the condoms without spermacide and I had a milder reaction but still not fun.
This is me I think, I also thought it was just the spermacide but we used a condom w/o last time and I still had some swelling and discomfort (not fun).
I guess we'll try the polyurethane ones, can you find them at the same places as latex condoms?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page