BC and mental health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember having side effects with the BCP when I was a teen/early 20's but there was so much else going on then, who knows. When I took it after my 1st two kids were born it made me crazy... "mood swings" doesn't begin to cover it. The tipping point was when I sat with my best friends in the world and heard myself think, "I don't know why I'm here, these people don't REALLY like me." So got off it, went with copper IUD for 7 years or so and loved it, had it out when we planned ds3.

Now we want another child somewhat soon, maybe TTC in a year or two. Getting the IUD in hurt but for 7 years it was worth it... for a year? doesn't seem worth it. But it's been 2.5yrs and I'm sick of condoms! We ran out during a snowstorm and I decided I'd had enough of that crap.

So low-hormonal is high priority.

Effectiveness is low priority, if I got preg sooner wouldn't be huge deal.

I am SO not organized enough for NFP.

For someone whose sex life consists of "Quick! the baby's napping!" diaphragm, sponge and cervical cap seem like a PITA.

So I was thinking of the Nuva ring or patch, because I've heard that when the hormones are released locally like with the Mirena IUD they aren't systemic in the same way the pill is and so the emotional side-effects are lessened. Is that true for the ring and patch?

When it comes to effectiveness, I trust medical websites, but I think doctors downplay or dismiss women's emotional side-effects, so I'm really relying on word-of-mouth help here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it seems like you think the IUD was your best bet. YOu don't want to go through the pain of insertion again for just a year of use? Or is it the cost? I think it you feel most comfy with the IUD then go for it

As for hormonal patch, pill, etc....if you had bad side effects before, I would not try it again. That is just me though and I had major mental side effects from the pill plus I suspect it had something to do with my pcos.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 PM

I had the patch and had huge side effects from it, one of which was continual spotting/bleeding with about a week off a month. The patch has higher levels of hormones so that may not be your best bet. I also had PMS for the first time in my life - it sucked.

Have you thought about just using OPKs and watching your cervical fluid? We are semi avoiding to space out kids right now, and so if I have fertile type fluid, DH pulls out. I use OPKs (you can get cheapy ones off the internet) to see when I could be gearing up to ovulate. It's really easy, and we are in the same position - don't mind getting pregnant a little earlier, so an oops isn't a huge deal. We used opks and withdrawl for a year and a half before DD and got pregnant the first month we tried, so it definitely works. PM me if you want more info :-D

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly, the IUD isn't just the pain and expense, it's also that I'm afraid if we have to go through a huge decision of doctor appointment & such that we'll keep putting it off to a "better time" until it's too late.

OPKs sound intriguing... but wouldn't that get expensive? They wouldn't be covered on insurance would they, how does that work exactly?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM

I got mine from this guy -
http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-x-Ovulation...3A1|240%3A1318

He usually sells sets of 500 and 100 too - I guess he doesn't have any right now. They work really well!

Here's another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/200-OVULATION-FE...3%3A1|294%3A50

They are cheapy tests, but work well for "predicting" when to be careful. I usually do one every morning and then watch as they get darker - when they start getting lighter I know that I am gearing up to O. I also get O cramping, so that helps. You will see a fluid dryup if you O, if you don't, I'd keep testing with the OPKs because sometimes you can gear up to O and then not. It works well for us, and is pretty easy.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the OvaCue, it's expensive (still 1/2 as much as my IUD was) but it's so easy and if this is something I can use long-term and use to TTC as well as avoid, I was thinking it was worth it. Thanks for this idea, I'm really exited about it now. So I had to share my funny with you too...

But they can only sell it as fertility method in the US so I was thinking of seeing if I could order it or package inserts for it from the uk.... so I thought, hey if someone in the uk would buy it and send it to me... then I realized the one guy I know in the uk is a seminary student. I just got the giggles at the idea of this would-be priest walking in and asking for a contraceptive device!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Hmmm, I am really interested in that OvaCue! I tried searching for reviews on here but didn't come up with much. It is a lot of money, which wouldn't bother me if it works well. But I would hate to sink that much money into something that didn't work right.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 PM

You can’t rely on OPK to prevent pregnancy. By the time the OPK will show positive and you are supposed to ovulate within the next 3 days so for example, you could DTD today, get a + OPK tomorrow and O Wed which puts you in a prime position for pregnancy since you DTD 3 days before O.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM

True CanidFL, we use pull out until fluid dryup and o pain and OPKs all match up. I also check my cervix. That being said, we don't really have sex all that often with DD never sleeping so it works for us. With the OPKs you have to use them in conjunction with other signals from your body or temping to avoid or just always pull out.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Ok. All that together is pretty reliable I was just letting OP know that OPK's by themselves are not a good form of BC.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
You can’t rely on OPK to prevent pregnancy. By the time the OPK will show positive and you are supposed to ovulate within the next 3 days so for example, you could DTD today, get a + OPK tomorrow and O Wed which puts you in a prime position for pregnancy since you DTD 3 days before O.
ewww.... crap. I was just beginning to get all excited about this. Then how come they sell it as contraceptive in Europe? Maybe I should try some of the cheap ones for a couple months and see if it gives me a consistent ovulation time that I could plan around. That would help determine if something like the electric monitor would be worth it.

My period is pretty consistent, but I don't know when in my cycle I'm ovulating. Last time we were TTC, we were sorta trying for girl, having sex early before what I [calendar-wise] thought was my ovulation date, then avoiding sex ON the ovulation time [suspected day of and day before]. Almost a year after we started doing that we finally conceived. BUT the month we conceived, we had taken turns having the flu during what we thought was the right time for a girl and through what we thought was prime ovulation time for boy. The only time that month we had sex was about 3 days before my period was due, when I thought I wasn't fertile....

People asked me if it was planned or if it was a surprise, I said both!: we were planning a pregnancy, but the "month we bought the fewest lottery tickets was the month we won".
Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
True CanidFL, we use pull out until fluid dryup and o pain and OPKs all match up. I also check my cervix. That being said, we don't really have sex all that often with DD never sleeping so it works for us. With the OPKs you have to use them in conjunction with other signals from your body or temping to avoid or just always pull out.
See it's all that I don't think I'm organized enough to deal with. I'd screw it up. And the whole point of getting some other kind of BC is so I CAN have sex more often.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is - you can check your fluid when you go to the bathroom and check your cervix in the shower. Or you can do what we did before I went on the patch (ugh!) and just pull out all the time. It works if your DH is coordinated - some guys just don't do pull out well apparently.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah the supposed local hormones in the Mirena didn't turn out to be so local. I hate the hormonal side effects. They are extreme IME. I won't trust hormonal bc again no matter how tiny they say the dose is.

Billings method is good enough for me. It's fast, free, easy. It might not be extremely effective but that's fine with me.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

One of my friends just told me about this:
http://robinrosebennett.com/wild_carrot%20article.htm
using queen anne's lace to prevent implantation.

So I'm thinking... if sperm stays alive for 3 days, and I can get a good idea of when I ovulate with the "spit tester", that will probably be sufficient most of the time. Then if I have sex, say 5 days before I EXPECT TO ovulate, then the next day the spit tester tells me ovulation is near, I can use qal as a backup.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
It sounds a lot harder than it actually is - you can check your fluid when you go to the bathroom and check your cervix in the shower.
But don't you also have to chart that stuff? I read a post once where a gal using NFP was freaking out that her toddler had erased her notes for the month.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 PM

I don't chart - I used to, but I don't have the time any more. If I have fertile type fluid, he pulls out - if I haven't felt o cramping, he pulls out - etal. basically he just pulls out regardless and maaaybe gets one or 2 "in" at the end of the month if I'm sure I o'ed.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM

your supposed to keep it in for 3 weeks, but the nuvo-ring falls out! they don't tell you that, but for some people (aka me), it just falls out by itself after about a week or two, and you have to use a new one because its shape has changed and it wont stay in. (expensive. 3x the expected cost). I also heard of people having it come out after DTD, but I suppose that wouldn't be a huge issue with a DP, just embarassing for college friends i heard it from after one night stands or short relationships.

plus, when I was on the nuvo-ring, it was no different than the pill for mood effects and other side effects. I was just as depressed on nuvo-ring, (and the patch) as on bc pills. (and the depression started shortly after starting the bc so i think they were likely at least partially related.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM

What about the mini-pill...how has everyone felt on that? That is progesterone only right? The problems I've had such as constant yeast infections and mood swings have to do with too much estrogen, no?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Ortho is great for me.
The generic makes me moody as heck. I tried it 3 different months, then for 2 months in a row. It just didn't work work for me on many levels with skin, pain, and all of that. My body is so sensitive, even with vitamins.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

User Tag List