Copper IUD and side effects - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How bad were the side effects you had/have with your IUD?
No side effects at all 4 66.67%
Very mild side effects 19 100.00%
Moderate side effects; not enough to remove IUD 5 83.33%
Moderate side effects; bad enough to remove IUD 13 100.00%
Severe side effects (include expulsion/migration/pregnancy here) 3 50.00%
Other, of course 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are so many great threads on IUDs on this forum, but I can't tell what percentage of the users have bothersome side effects.

Poll coming!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#2 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM

I said very mild. The only downside for me is heavier/longer lasting periods. Some months more cramping. But other than that it hasn't bothered me. I've had it for almost 3 years.
#3 of 22 Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I know there's more of you out there!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#4 of 22 Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM

I had a paraguard placed. It slipped out of place a couple of months later. I had it removed all the way adn reinserted, it slipped again. I decided it wasn't for me- couldn't risk a pg. I knew it slipped b/c I felt the plastic instead of the strings. Besides that, it was ok, slightly heavier periods and heavier cramping.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 22 Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 PM
2xy

I had an IUD about 12 years ago. It was the copper T.

I experienced sharp pains during my periods, which were not normal for me. It wasn't like regular cramping. I also bled VERY heavily, going through a super tampon every hour or so.

Then, after about 2 months of having the IUD, I developed bacterial vaginosis. I was prescribed the proper meds, and it cleared up. The following month, after my period, I got it again. This happened every month after my period until I had it removed.

Unfortunately, my string had gotten "lost." It could be seen on ultrasound....it was still in my cervix but couldn't be reached with forceps. So I had to go to the O.R., be put under, and have my cervix dilated to get the darned thing out.

None of my friends who had IUD's had any issues with theirs.
#6 of 22 Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Ive had mine for one year so far - only side effect has been heavier and crampier periods. Not too bad, just more than before. DS was 6 mos. when it was installed, and maybe 10mos when AF returned.
#7 of 22 Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had none of the typical side effects - no bad cramping, periods were only slightly heavier (though tamed with the DivaCup), etc. However, I believe I had a reaction to the copper. A sibling of mine had it, too, and we both had them removed.

I was ridiculously emotional, irritable, and well, slightly depressed. I kept it in longer than I should have and I do regret that. I was fine for the first few months, but then everything went downhill for a while. I have had it removed for almost four months and I'm still not back to normal (yet). I'm much(!) better and I am confident it will take a couple of more months to feel 100%.

With that said, I recommend the IUD to people, but I would caution anyone to watch their symptoms and if they have any of the emotional side effects, yank it.
#8 of 22 Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

bump
#9 of 22 Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Darn. The unsuccessful ones are outweighing the successful ones. Oh well, I'm getting one inserted in a couple of weeks anyway. I hope that it works for me!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#10 of 22 Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM

I've had an Copper T IUD for almost 7 years! I think my periods are a little heavier, and possibly a bit more crampy, but I voted mild side effects.

The best thing is - spontaneous, worry-free sex! I just love that it's basically 100% effective if your body takes to it (and I think most bodies will with the correct placement).

For me, one key was that I worked with a gentle, highly experienced doctor to insert the IUD. I would *never* work with someone who didn't know the latest facts about IUDs (like a previous doctor of mine who spouted really outdated info - big red flag!), and hadn't inserted hundreds. It didn't hurt much (slightly more uncomfortable than an exam, that's it!), I've never had any problems with placement etc.

She told me my uterus was slightly tipped - I've found that valuable info all these years, as I'm now thinking about TTC in a few months.

Anyway, that's my advice. Work with a very competant doctor. And work with a very competant doctor for removal. I'll go back to her for removal (even though she's not anyone I've seen again - I go to a Naturopath for most everything else).
#11 of 22 Old 01-18-2009, 05:31 PM

I said moderate, bad enough to remove 9though mine fell out on it's own). It was a toss up between that one and the first moderate. In the end I picked the bad enough one because, well it sucked. I didn't notice that you should put expullsion under severe until I clicked my answer.

I'm prone to anxiety attacks and mine seemed to get worse once I got my iud placed. They increased in frequency and intensity. I also had crazy mood swings. These wouldn't be bad if I were on anxiety meds but I'm not so it was a constant thing for me. The day after it fell out I had the start of an anxeity attack that had a trigger exactly the same as one 2 nights before it fell out. This one though stopped and I was able to get control of everything. The one from before it fell out had my sobbing and curled up on my bed calling my DH at 3:30 in the morning saying, "I can't take this anymore.". I'm not sure if they are related or not but it seems so when they changed before and after my iud.

I googled it one night after one and found a site that said vegetarians (which I am) are more prone to copper toxicity and that getting an iud placed if you are already having copper issues can set it off. I read a bunch of stuff on copper toxicity and it seemed to fit. Insanely so. I also read (on the paragard site perhaps? Can't quite remember) that if you are allergic to shellfish that the copper iud may not be for you. I am and that was a worry for me the whole time.

All that to say, I loved my IUD and had it not fallen out I would still have it. I'd also be getting anti-anxiety meds to help calm that part of me down. I didn't have crazy heavy periods or cramps. My period was longer than normal (upwards of 9 days as opposed to 3-5) but it was the same in terms of flow. I did have spotting but I know that gradually goes away the longer you have it. DH was able to feel it but my strings were long. My advice is to make sure they get trimmed (I have no idea why mine weren't). DH was a bit...cut up from mine at one point (we weren't being rough or anything ).

Oh and my doctor didn't say anything about expullsion being more likely if you are nursing. I read that later online (on the paragard site I do believe). Mine was only in since Oct. It fell out on Tuesday (I think ) There were a few times I felt like I was sitting on something internally. When I would check my strings it seemed to be in the right place and I couldn't feel the end of the iud so I thought I was ok.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#12 of 22 Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM

No issues here. I go by how bad my periods were in prebaby birth control days. These days they are lighter and not so painful.

So I voted no side effects.
#13 of 22 Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 AM

I considered having mine removed, but after a few months things settled down. The first few months the bleeding was INSANE and I would get really depressed during my period. Now my periods are heavier than they were pre-IUD, but totally manageable, especially with a dive cup and cloth pads. Also, the terrible moods have gone away. My theory is that the bleeding was so bad that I was become anemic, which was having a pretty serious effect on my moods. But, like I said, it has all settled down and now I am really glad I have an IUD.

I just read through some of the other posts (I hadn't before I started typing mine) and I'm surprised there were others with emotional/anxiety changes with the IUD. Now I'm wondering about the copper? But that doesn't make sense for me, since I would only be an out-of-control crying mess during my period and that subsided as soon as the bleeding settled down.
#14 of 22 Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 AM

i had mine in 2000. My periods were heavier and I could feel it in me most of the time. I decided to get it removed and concieved about a week after.
#15 of 22 Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Mine went in in September, came out last month. Sideways. An extremely peculiar sensation.

I was hanging on for three full cycles plus one to see if the side-effects were going to settle down. I found that I was bleeding heavily each cycle and for 48 hours would be losing more than a full mooncup of blood an hour, was becoming anaemic and feeling anaemic, weak and exhausted for the week following the end of my period. Then, as I said, it removed itself anyhow. I don't think I'd have stuck it out for that long if I hadn't desperately needed for it to work.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Giving a bump and telling my success story. I got my IUD inserted in January. It hurt a tiny bit and I spotted lightly for several days. My periods are noticeably heavier and longer, but not they keep getting more normal over time. I've had 4 cycles since I got it and they are a little bit lighter each time. One month I had raging PMS, but that hasn't happened again. My midwife left the strings long, so I need to get them trimmed, because they are annoying during sex. Otherwise, I love it and hope to keep it for the full 10 years.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#17 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 AM

I had spotting and cramping after insertion, for about a month. I could feel it there, and it was uncomfortable.

That sensation went away after a month. Now I have periodic cramping/spotting, usually after...intimacy.

I have not noticed heavier or more frequent periods, but I am still breastfeeding a youngish baby on demand, and my periods are irregular for the time being.

Overall, I guess I'm not unhappy with the Paraguard. Just not crazy about it either.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#18 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM

I've had my Paraguard for about 11 months now. I did have the typical heavy periods at first, but now they have nearly disappeared. I'm actually on the computer today trying to figure out if this is normal, doesn't seem like it is.

I also had crazy mood swings during my first couple of cycles. Very irritable and depressed for a day or two. Things are back to normal now - well with 1 other exception. I have gained 15 lbs since having it inserted. (the other reason for my computer search today) The whole reason I picked the Paraguard was to avoid the hormones and the associated weight gain. Yet it seems I have a bit of both.

Anyone else notice a weight gain?

oh and what about low sex drive? or extra facial hair? As I'm reading a bit more today, I've found these complaints as well.
#19 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headymama View Post
I've had my Paraguard for about 11 months now. I did have the typical heavy periods at first, but now they have nearly disappeared. I'm actually on the computer today trying to figure out if this is normal, doesn't seem like it is.

I also had crazy mood swings during my first couple of cycles. Very irritable and depressed for a day or two. Things are back to normal now - well with 1 other exception. I have gained 15 lbs since having it inserted. (the other reason for my computer search today) The whole reason I picked the Paraguard was to avoid the hormones and the associated weight gain. Yet it seems I have a bit of both.

Anyone else notice a weight gain?

oh and what about low sex drive? or extra facial hair? As I'm reading a bit more today, I've found these complaints as well.
Do you mean your periods have almost disappeared altogether? That is definitely unusual without hormones, but I know it's common for them to kind of gradually go back to "normal".

As far as weight gain, I have lost 10 lb. since I got mine. I wasn't overweight either, just on the higher side of my comfortable weight. I'm a little concerned that I'll keep losing and end up too thin. I'm not sure it's related, but I haven't changed anything that i eat or do.

No changes in sex drive or hair growth for me.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#20 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM

... I said mild, because "in general" they were very mild - my side effects. Some annoying, random spotting in the first three months or so after insertion and I'd say slightly heavier periods - although, that may have just been the result of getting my period back after not having it due to pregnancy and then breastfeeding for another 14 months. However, I did have the "severe" side effect of a pregnancy...

... I got pregnant with a copper T IUD after having it for just short of 3 years. The pregnancy ended up in miscarriage after 7 weeks. I subsequently had the IUD removed.
#21 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I got mine removed two months ago. I had crazy mood swings and a very long period with days and days of spotting before and after, plus break through bleeding mid-cycle. And my cycles were much shorter than they had been. I had it for 18 months or so and the symptoms got worse and worse. I didn't have a period for about 6 or 8 months while I had it, because I was nursing two kids at the time, but once one of them weaned, my periods were almost intolerable.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#22 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM

I think that I might've gotten copper toxicity from it. I'll have my test results in a couple of weeks, but basically I gradually super depressed, and developed anxiety and panic attacks, which are signs of copper tox.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page