Wanting But Waiting Tribe *2009* - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 447 Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeruby View Post
Also-- I'm unsure about what to do about insurance. In the past, I've looked into getting private health insurance, but never followed through because a) I am scared off my how high the premiums and deductibles are, and b) most of the healthcare forms I am interested in (alternative, herbal, homeopathic, etc) are not usually covered anyway. But I can see a need for some kind of healthcare for when I am pregnant and for the delivery, as well as to protect our baby once it's born...so I've been doing a bit of research and it seems like most (at least the private ones I'm eligible for) insurance policies don't have any type of pregnancy coverage, and the ones that do come at an added monthly premium. Any suggestions on how to proceed here? I've heard of medicaid but am not sure I will qualify (I make around $25,000/yr).
You may be eligible for medicaid during your pregnancy. States vary but in Ohio it is 200% of the poverty level for pregnant women and children under 19. Which for a family of one (you said partner, so I assume not married) is just under $22k, just over $29k for a family of 2 Talk to a case worker. I don't know how they work family size in for unmarried couples. I'm sure that you have to include your partner's income too. Also different states handle unborn children differently (if they are included in family size or not) Don't be ashamed of Medicaid, it's disgusting that the U.S. doesn't think HC is a basic human right.

And you will be pleasantly surprised what is covered. I had a MW in a very crunchy friendly hospital and it was covered. Even chiropractic work would have been covered if I would have needed it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 447 Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

Sorry not to be able to help with those having health insurance issues. We waited until DH had a job with insurance AND we saved up enough money to pay for the entire pg and birth before TTC. This included prenatal and birth expenses with our midwife, prenatal vitamins, supplements, prenatal yoga classes, birth classes, prenatal massages, maternity clothes and everything else we thought was important to have while pregnant. What we didn't do was worry about paying for things after the baby came. Since it was our first child and the first grandchild all around, and since we were cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and cosleeping, we didn't need much and what we did need, we got as gifts.
Good idea to save up before baby comes. That way any money during the pregnancy that would've went towards those things could go towards post-baby or your last bit of fun as a family of two.

And it's surprising how cheap babies are. I was disappointed when I couldn't find anything I NEEDED for baby #2.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#423 of 447 Old 12-06-2009, 05:14 AM

Ladies, thank you so much for your pep talks. They really help give me courage to move forward! I know that the most important thing is dedication, and the rest will take care of itself. Somehow ...

Lakeruby, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are as far as health insurance, and I've been researching. My main concern is total cost, as DH and I have a little nest egg saved up, but really have no idea what income will be like in 2010 and 2011 (until DH finishes with school). I found this site: http://nhhealthcost.org/ that gives costs for New Hampshire hospitals for the insured and uninsured. Definitely won't be the same in every state, but it was nice to finally see some numbers.

As far as health insurance goes, I've used www.ehealthinsurance.com. You can get comparisons for a lot of different plans, and see premium amounts, deductibles, etc. It seems like for plans that have maternity coverage (and lots don't--be careful!) premiums range from 130-250 per month. Kind of pricey when money's already tight, but can save hundreds/thousands when looking at the total cost of pregnancy and delivery. Run a few numbers to make sure that what you're getting will actually save money--it seems like some plans are so basic that they really won't make a big dent in the overall cost. Also, if you don't currently have insurance, check on their "pre-existing condition" waiting period. If you get pregnant within the first few months of coverage, they may not pay a dime for prenatal/delivery costs (for individual plans--I think employer group plans are different). Good to be aware and plan accordingly.

Finally, it sounds like using midwives instead of OB/GYNs cuts the price considerably. There's an HMO in my city that has a midwife center right next to the hospital (in case anything goes wrong). Sounds like a good option! My next move is to give them a call. This document http://www.parenttrust.org/uploads/p.../insurance.pdf has a list of questions to ask about costs on the third page.

I hope that helps and isn't just stuff that's specific to me!

(I'm writing a lot. Sorry.)

I had a small meltdown this week when I realized just how much I like and am good at the career that I'll be putting on indefinite hold when baby comes. I came to the conclusion that it's a sacrifice, and really a very small one when compared with the joy of motherhood and family. (Right? Actually, don't tell me if I'm wrong!) It is moments like those, though, that make me wonder just how ready for this adventure I am!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
#424 of 447 Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 AM

A very small sacrifice! Actually I think motherhood in itself is a sacrifice. But the good kind (if that makes sense). You are giving of yourself completely to another human being in order to raise them and give them joy and love. What could be more important?
#425 of 447 Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 AM

My DH is currently out of town working so I have only been able to discuss this with him a little bit. Which is hard when you are trying to process life decisions!
Anyway, I am wanting(okay maybe more like obsessing) and now I think it will be best to actually wait. We know that it will never be the perfect time to try, period, but there are reasonable reasons for delay.

For those of you who don't know (my introduction was a long time ago), we are facing a pretty difficult situation(difficult to the medical world, anyway). We would certainly be labeled double infertility. I have severe endo and my DH has an immunity issue that kills his sperm due to the reversal of a regretted vasectomy.

So here is the scoop;
There are cleanses that are a lot of work, but have brought healing of endo and there are cleanses and health building programs that could possibly help DH. (Yeah, I finally found someone discussing how to deal with antibodies from a more natural approach.)

I have spent a great deal of time educating myself on these protocols that would be a six month commitment at the least. I have been a natural health educator for quite a long time, being a firm believer that lifestyle, herbs and such is part of the design God had for our care (especially after the fall).

I have been involved in aggressive natural health therapies for everything from diabetes to cancer and have seen many miracles. However, my knowledge and experience in the area of reproduction is limited but growing. Now the idea of being as healthy as we have the ability to be, is good and I believe biblical. I also believe that the Lord works through the things He gives us wisdom about as well as instant miracles. We have asked and believed for healing but that has seemed to not be God's will and way for us. Maybe because I am a health educator God's wants me to learn the natural process for the healing so I can share with those of less faith.

Sorry I am not trying to write a book here, just perhaps trying to take ownership of my thoughts and impressions... forgive me if I am rambling.

Anyway, my husband wants me to do a special cleanse on him this winter (when work stops) for mercury toxicity. He has high levels of mercury in his system from multiple amalgam fillings. We do not have the money to have them replaced at this time, but we know that this is a factor his body is having to deal with. I will spare you the boring technical stuff and just say I used to work for a ND that specialized in mercury toxicity, so I know the problems and options for care. We have both done various cleanses, but nothing to the level of intensity or length as these would be. The weird thing is that we would consider ourselves in perfect health if it were not for these reproductive issues and the effects of mercury.

If we do these cleanses we would be putting TTC on hold as you don't want to conceive while dumping toxins and adjusting hormones.

So all that to say that I think we should turn our focus to the healing of our bodies and stop thinking about anything "baby" for the next year. I guess that is really where the faith factor comes in for me, because we are not young and we don't have a few years to wait this out...unless I am Sarah (from the Bible).
Thanks for your listening ear.

Happy vegan wife to my Best Friend for 23 years, Mother to a Baby someday.
Wishing Since Dec 2007 -- Vas. Reversal in May 2008 -- Waiting on the Lord

#426 of 447 Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 PM

Hello, I just wanted to update and say that we're no longer "waiting", just wanting for our new little bean who will be here toward the end of July. A happy little surprise! Even tho the timing's not perfect.

Happy and in love with my family!
#427 of 447 Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Hello, I just wanted to update and say that we're no longer "waiting", just wanting for our new little bean who will be here toward the end of July. A happy little surprise! Even tho the timing's not perfect.
Congratulations!

#428 of 447 Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 AM

I had a chance to discuss with DH waiting to allow for cleanses and he was all for it. He was sad that we would not continue to ttc right now, but ready to cleanse.
Hey, we have already been ttc for over a year, so we can wait a bit more.
(This is my reminder, so I can stay optimistic.)
We will begin the cleanses in Jan when he has down time from work.

I suppose I should wait for the 2010 thread and sign up there.

#429 of 447 Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the advice! I have been thinking about this a lot and finally went ahead and purchased some basic insurance that would cover any major pregnancy complications or other health insurance (after a sizeable deductible of course). I don't think I am eligible for medicaid during pregnancy in Florida, but I will look into it again when the time comes, in case our situation changes. We have decided to wait longer than we originally hoped before we start trying, to allow us to save up the $10,000 we anticipate needing during pregnancy and for living expenses for 3 months, in case we both want to stay home with the baby for a while. We haven't quite figured out how long it will take to save up that much, but I'm excited to get started! First up, how to NOT spend all my money this hoilday season... cookies and homemade caramels under the tree!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#430 of 447 Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBL7 View Post
I suppose I should wait for the 2010 thread and sign up there.
You can wait if you'd like, but there's no reason to. The list at the beginning of the thread will be copied and pasted to the next thread so you don't have to "sign up" again to get on the next one. The only reason I haven't been adding people recently is that people haven't been letting me know what category to add them under.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#431 of 447 Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
You can wait if you'd like, but there's no reason to. The list at the beginning of the thread will be copied and pasted to the next thread so you don't have to "sign up" again to get on the next one. The only reason I haven't been adding people recently is that people haven't been letting me know what category to add them under.
Okay great, please put me on the list.
I think at this point we are waiting until Fall 2010. It may be sooner than that, but that is my thought at this point.

#432 of 447 Old 12-21-2009, 02:13 PM

We were going to try this summer but we decided to hold off till this Spring. I hope we made the right decision. mamalove1
#433 of 447 Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM

OKAY, I haven't posted on here in five hundred years...mostly because it felt so far away until dh and I were onboard with TTC #2. BUT...drumroll please.....we have picked a start month! May 2010!!! Honestly I hope I get preggo on our first month try (I did both times before...one was a m/c and the other was my ds). May is our 10 year anniversary of being together (and married for 4) and then the baby would be born in Feb which is near valentine's Day (so sweet) AND ds would be 3.5 years exactly which is the age gap we are hoping for!!!

SOOOOO Fingers crossed! And in the mean time I'll be hanging out over here. Is anyone else hoping to ttc in May? Let's be buds And what kinds of things should I start thinking about to prepare myself. I am going to try and be regular with taking my prenatal vitamins and continue exercising as much as I can.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#434 of 447 Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM

oh man...might have to change my plans again (probably to earlier!!!) read my post in TAO about going to disney/florida and how young of a baby would be okay to take there....

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#435 of 447 Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Hello,

I see you are pretty crowded, but mind if I join in? I think I need to be here. I am a SAH (crunchy)M to 3 kids, age 9, 3 and 1. I have been in TTC boards for a couple months, ever since a maybe oops jump started my baby fever... I haven't had a return of PPAF since DS was born 13+months ago. Still waiting to O.

But even if I wasn't still waiting to O, we are thinking it's better to wait until something like May-October 2010 to TTC. This will be our (I am 99% sure this time, lol) last baby if and when we do make one... so I do want to do it right. Ha, for the past 2 years we were SURE we never wanted more than 3 children... now look. If it was just me, I would be ready yesterday! But we have sound reasons for putting this off a bit, primarily financial ones. It just is SOOO hard to wait! And I am not even fertile yet! Well, I have had signs of gearing up for 2 months but no O or AF. I just don't like being in limbo. You may also see me in the nursing mama's group cause DS is still nursing a TON. And in Test and Obsess, cause that is just my nature. I hate wasting $ on sticks, but I am a POAS addict for certain, if you give me half a chance...

I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better, and hope hanging around with you will give me strength and support, and maybe I can add a little bit for you too. Thanks!

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#436 of 447 Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Hi, Tara2. Welcome.

I popped back into this thread today because my husband and I had a long talk this morning about TTC #1. I turn 33 in 2 months, and I have been feeling kind of worried and scared about whether or not we're even fertile to begin with, let alone if we were to wait a couple more years (which is ALWAYS my husband's inclination).

Still, he agrees with me that the timing is never going to be perfect, and since I have a good, flexible job right now (he works freelance, from home usually), the timing may be fairly good for us to TTC in 2010. I'm going to stay on the pill for a few more months and then we're going to reassess.

Meantime, I'll keep trying to get in slightly better shape (I'm a bit of a couch potato) through my new yoga classes, finish up some dental work I put off last year (fillings), and get the skin cancer check I've been putting off. I'm almost out of (regular) multi-vitamins, so I think I'll switch to a prenatal in January when I buy new ones and start taking those early. And then, around the end of February, I'll talk to him again and see if we're both on the same page to TTC. Fingers crossed we are (no matter which page that is)!

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#437 of 447 Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Hi all! I'm joining in, hope it's ok. I'm emotionally and physically ready for another LO, but wanting to wait for a myriad of reasons. It's killing me! I tried to discuss #2 w/DH but he's not ready yet. DD is 15 mo.

#1 We are DYING to take a good vacation and have fun. Our last vacation was our babymoon when I was 4 months pg with DD to Oahu and Hawaii. We definitely want to go somewhere tropical w/DD when she is a little bit older. I don't want to be pg or have a tiny infant either. So that's strike one.

#2 is finances. I want another homebirth and that would set us back probably $7000 out of pocket, at least. We don't have that right now.

#3 is that we need more space already, so adding more people to the house wouldn't be easy. We need to finish up our fixer upper and sell our house before having another.

But I want one!!! It's tough when you have really good rational reasons but your heart is tugging you another way. Hope to find lots of support here!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#438 of 447 Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Since I joined here this summer we actually got pregnant, but I lost the baby september 4th. We are still recovering I think, I've been devestated and never felt so empty in my life (first miscarriage).
I felt like I lost a second child, even though it can't compare to the loss of our middle girl, she was almost 6 weeks when we lost her.
I'm also a bit scared of trying again now, what if I can't carry any more babies? I know that's not really rational, but I keep thinking it anyway.
And at the same time, I really want another baby. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#439 of 447 Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Pixiekisses, I'm so sorry to read about your loss.

#440 of 447 Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Pixie -I'm so sorry for your losses.

Neuro- thanks for the welcome. But it sounds like you and your dh have great flexibility jobwise now, so perfect. I have to get back into running! I have slacked in the last few months.

Baby-cakes- Hiya! yes homebirths are pricey, arent' they? Yowsa. Took forever to pay off our m/w from DS. Why does $ always have to be an issue? I just want one now too. I also want DS to be older, but I myself do not want to be older. Just turned 34 and we have MFI issue. But DH wants to wait longer than I do. Ah well, sometime next year -which starts in one day!!!!- we will give our selves the true green light. Whether it will work or not is TBD

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#441 of 447 Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Pixie, I am so sorry for your losses .

BabyCakes - it's good to see another mama from the Oct '08 DDC is here in this thread

I think I need to join the thread, if just to lurk. My LO Galen is 14 months now and a bundle of energy. I'm starting to feel that longing for a newborn but we need to wait for so many reasons. Firstly because Galen has difficulties swallowing, so feeding him is super time-consuming and he still relies heavily on my milk. I don't want to do anything to reduce my supply. And secondly we're very close to paying off our house and getting into one a little bit outside of town (we're right in the city right now - a small city, but we still want a little land to call our own.)

So we need to wait, but sometimes it's hard. Good to talk to others about it, at least

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#442 of 447 Old 01-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Waiting because of my health has just gotten more difficult emotionally. DH just expressed the desire to have children. I always felt like he was just going along with my wishes.

One day...

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#443 of 447 Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Neuromancer, Tara2 and Skrimpy, thank you mamas.

And good luck to everyone currently TTC.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#444 of 447 Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Can we share the reasons we are waiting to ttc?
Hi Folks!

I am new to MDC, just found it a couple of weeks ago. We are wanting but waiting to TTY our first at least until March 2010 for several reasons:

1: We just got married and moved in together, and we want to get a little bit used to living together/being married first.

2: We both have a lot of stuff we need to get rid of or store so our new apartment actually has some living space.

3: I want to do some things to improve my health. I'm a vegetarian, so I want to make sure my B6 and B12 levels are good, as well as folic acid (currently taking New Chapter B Complex). I have a very good diet--whole grains and beans, fresh organic produce, very little processed food--but I don't go for a lot of dairy, so my B vitamins can get low. I also want to be getting enough exercise to be in good shape. And I want to do a special cleansing/purification process called Pancha Karma, to make sure my body has as few toxins and impurities as possible.

I have actually been wanting and waiting for years. First I was waiting to meet the right guy. That took way longer than I expected, but it wsas well worth the wait--DH is my hero. Then I was wating for him to be ready to get married, which involved waiting for him to get a new job. So now most things are in place and I really want to get started since I want to have several kids and still have the energy to run after them all!

P.S. can I get added to the list? We're planning to start TTC in March if all goes well.

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams
#445 of 447 Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Hi, Mother Cake!

My husband and I have been waiting because we didn't feel "ready" but we both realize that we will likely never feel "ready." We've been together since 1994 and married since 2001, though, so we have a strong friendship, bond, and marriage. And we love our best friends' little girl, so having a baby is seeming more and more possible -- or at least TTC.

I'm working on improving my health, though, like you. I've been really good about getting 30-45 minutes of excercise at least 5 days a week most of the past 2 months. I'm taking a multi-vitamin (I switched to a prenatal yesterday, since I read it's good to take them for 2-5 months before TTC), calcium with magnesium and D, and fish oil. My gynecologist said to be sure to keep up the fish oil if I go off my BCP.

I love dairy, but the rest of your diet is inspiring me. I need to restock our house with more whole foods.

Welcome!

#446 of 447 Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Hey All,

Im am happy to be taking over on the new thread this year. I have just posted the tribe for 2010, so please move your subscriptions over!

If anyone's details are not correct please just let me know by PM.
Thanks and best wishes for the new year!

Logan
#447 of 447 Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
My husband and I have been waiting because we didn't feel "ready" but we both realize that we will likely never feel "ready."
Neuromacer--I agree with you about never really feeling "ready." Actually, that's one of the reasons we're not waiting longer. I worked as a postpartum Doula for a while, and I noticed that the women who seemed to adjust to motherhood best were the ones who were less prepared--they had less expectations. The ones who waited until they had all their ducks lined up, seemed to get really bothered when things got hard with the new baby. I'm more likely to fall into the second boat, so I'm not going to let myself think I've got all my ducks lined up--then I won't be so upset by setbacks (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I've been really good about getting 30-45 minutes of excercise at least 5 days a week most of the past 2 months.
Wow! I'm only managing 60 min 3x per week. You go girl!

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page